• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
My dad watches a bunch of storage wars and all that discovery/natgeo survival/reality shiet and that is something I perceive alot of dads doing...now that I think about it TV in general. Also loving grilling.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jorts
Sandles with socks.
White T Shirt tucked in
Hawaiian shirts
Cargo shorts
White tube socks
Tighty Whities

... Things along those lines for clothes.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My wardrobe is mostly dad-core. Shit's nice. Throw on some nice jeans, belt, oversized tee, beaters, nice baseball cap....it's just really hot and comfortable too.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Eat Thousand Island salad dressing.
When my dad does this, he'll sit down at the table and look at his salad and start counting, "One...two...three..." if nobody asks him what he's doing, he'll provide it himself, "Just checking to make sure they gave me all the islands."

It's Peak Dad.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had a real wake-up call today when I saw pretty much every dad at the mall was dressed/looked like me. Cargo shorts, Dark t-shirt, Cap, beard. Really bummed me out but God damn do I need those pockets!
(Dad Fashion Era, where do I shop for a different look? And where do you put all the shit you have to carry?)

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Had a real wake-up call today when I saw pretty much every dad at the mall was dressed/looked like me. Cargo shorts, Dark t-shirt, Cap, beard. Really bummed me out but God damn do I need those pockets!
(Dad Fashion Era, where do I shop for a different look? And where do you put all the shit you have to carry?)

Stitch Fix and backpacks

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Lol same thing happened to me last year. While waiting in line to buy cargo shorts.

Damn it.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
The one, the only:

16NIKMRMNRCHVWHTNNNT_White_Mtllc_Slvr_Mid_Navy
Get these puppies grass stained from the lawnmower and you've got peak dad

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017

I'm a dad, I don't carry shit. I have 2 under 5 yrs old. Get rid of the cap, get rid of the cargo shorts. 5" inseam flat front shorts, short sleeve button up shirts, linen if I'm wearing long sleeve shirts, some decent sunglasses and Espadrilles. For outdoor activities a straw Panama hat.

Last edited:

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
retired dads/parents in germany:

or just any wohnmobil/camper trailer/etc. they are a scourge on the roads. and not just germans, plenty of the swamp germans next door with their orange number plates do it too :p

guW26hKl.jpg

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tucked in t shirt isnt even just a dad thing. I see it all the time.

People who tuck in their t shirt, why in the hell do you do that???

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a dad, I don't carry shit. I have 2 under 5 yrs old. Get rid of the cap, get rid of the cargo shorts. 5" inseam flat front shorts, short sleeve button up shirts, linen if I'm wearing long sleeve shirts, some decent sunglasses and Espadrilles. For outdoor activities a straw Panama hat.

I'm not sure I can pull off the Panama hat look but I like the rest. Just gotta wait until fanny packs are cool again and I'm set.
Burning the cargo shorts should be like a bra burning event for all the dad's.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends where in the US. Here in San Diego, Hawaiian shirts are everywhere, and I see plenty of people wear them in their 20's and 30's.

Yeah, the Hawaiian shirt has changed. Floral and patterns on these types of shirts are trendy with young men now. I have a ton of Chubbies shirts I wear during the summer that could be considered "Hawaiian" shirts. I always get compliments when I wear them.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
I will never tuck a tshirt into my pants or shorts, but I totally rock the floral button-down shirts with short sleeves on the weekend.

I have also said, without irony, that I was "resting my eyes" which is I think the most Dad-like thing I've done yet. Thankfully my kids aren't old enough (yet) to mock me.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geez, what is it with era's hate cargo shorts?

It is not just an Era thing, I can't say I know anyone who willingly wears them after their teen or college years. Last time I wore them was when I was probably 16 or 17. I would be crucified if I wore them now as a grown gay man.

And for good reason, they're just not flattering. I rock correct fitting 5" seam shirts during the summer.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I am a dad and other then the cargo shorts and the love of grilling meat I don't really fit these stereotypes. My dad does but he's a boomer and 65. I think we need some guidance on the age range here. For the Gen X / Millennial dads I would say:

1. Tattoos, full sleeves in particular and that lame spider web over the elbow that everyone thought was creative.
2. Under Armor or athletic shirts worn loosely to hide the gut
3. Fancy sunglasses that you might think are Oakley but are really some mall brand because you know your kids are going to break them
4. Beards
5. Pink/Overly feminine backpack - Status symbol for Dads with Girls
6. Birkenstock sandles with "Athletic" clothing which really makes you prepared for nothing and everything at the same time.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Hawaii shirts are in fashion for all dudes right now, I see them a lot out on the streets with youngsters and oldsters.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I am a dad and other then the cargo shorts and the love of grilling meat I don't really fit these stereotypes. My dad does but he's a boomer and 65. I think we need some guidance on the age range here. For the Gen X / Millennial dads I would say:

1. Tattoos, full sleeves in particular and that lame spider web over the elbow that everyone thought was creative.
2. Under Armor or athletic shirts worn loosely to hide the gut
3. Fancy sunglasses that you might think are Oakley but are really some mall brand because you know your kids are going to break them
4. Beards
5. Pink/Overly feminine backpack - Status symbol for Dads with Girls
6. Birkenstock sandles with "Athletic" clothing which really makes you prepared for nothing and everything at the same time.
Tattoos and beards are normal for pretty much every age range now. Not just gen x and y dad age-ranges. People in their late teens and early 20's regularly have them.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I don't know if this is all Dads, but mine likes to cook and apparently doesn't believe in any sort of healthy side dishes.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
For me:

Izod flat front shorts with 9"length, Pima cotton Polo shirt and Topsiders with no socks. I don't usually wear a hat

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I can pull off the Panama hat look but I like the rest. Just gotta wait until fanny packs are cool again and I'm set.

I got news for you. At least in Germany/Europe they've been super hip for a while now.
It took me some time to come around on them but my god does it feel good to not have shit stuffed in your pockets.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fanny packs are in. I go to music festivals in the summer and tons of people wear them. I bought a cool one for my summer adventures and I got some compliments that I was pulling an 80s Dad look. Mission accomplished tbh.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 48 year old dad who doesn't do any of this stereotypical shit, thankfully. It comes down to how soon you decide to give up and take the path of least resistance I guess.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
It is not just an Era thing, I can't say I know anyone who willingly wears them after their teen or college years. Last time I wore them was when I was probably 16 or 17. I would be crucified if I wore them now as a grown gay man.

And for good reason, they're just not flattering. I rock correct fitting 5" seam shirts during the summer.

My husband wears them every day and he is 39. I see them on people of all ages all the time, at the mall, grocery store, the zoo, etc etc.

Also, how does the average person walking in the grocery know or care if you are gay or not? I have a gay male friend and both he and his boyfriend wear cargo shorts. I have never heard anyone say anything to him or his boyfriend.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
How do you not carry shit? Like, every time my kid has the smallest bit of trash, or a toy they don't want to carry, or whatever it somehow always winds up in my hands/pockets.

I... wear the same shit I wore as a kid probably. Cargo shorts. A T-Shirt. Flip flops or tennis shoes. Onitsuka, not NewBalance, so I guess I could be worse. I don't tuck it in, but my tshirts are all a bit too long :( I want to blame the shirt people for that.

I am really not comfortable in anything much "fancier". Like really really really uncomfortable in it. So... I don't. That's fine. I've also gained the ability to carry my wife's purse around the store if she needs without the slightest embarrassment. Totally cootie free!

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit I was hurt when they started calling baseball caps with the folded brim "dad hats".

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
My dad tends to wear some addidas sneakers, jeans and a polo normally. I always thought of dads wearing button ups and slacks all the time. But not sure as I haven't really thought about it in a while (probably since i was a child to be honest).