• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you like about Era?

• The community

Votes: 323 31.4%
  • The purple colour scheme

Votes: 325 31.6%
  • The user oni-link

Votes: 58 5.6%
  • Giftbot

Votes: 78 7.6%
  • When the Era logo changes sometimes

Votes: 206 20.0%
  • Voting for Thor 2: The Dark world, in polls

Votes: 482 46.8%
  • Other (Leave a comment)

Votes: 184 17.9%

• Total voters

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Not much anymore

A few retro topics here and there and the MiSTer thread and that's about it

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sure, I said I had a brother and a mother who both had disabilities that I helped find games and that I had experience with the subject and Morrigan said I was lying and Transistor chimed in to make fun of the whole thing. I've got like 500 threads ignored so you'll have to excuse me from going to find the exact posts but it was in one of the earlier threads about the subject here.

I don't know what I would have gotten "permed" for in any of the accessibility threads because I've never been aggressive about anything in any of them.

I guess I'm going to get "permed" for this now though huh
Since you've publicly made these accusation, I pretty much had to actually query your interactions with Morrigan. I found that the two of you have never exchanged discourse on your family. I can share the three times you two directly spoke to each other if you'd like, for the record's sake.

Where do we go from here?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Mainly just that it feels like one of the rare places you can go on the internet not taken over by the right or by bots. It's a little sad and scary how rare that is.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The community is the best and worst thing about it lol. I like that it's large and threads tend to move quickly. Many alternatives are not like this especially if you count out reddit. The moderation keeps the really bad stuff out as well. The negatives are definitely bad faith posting and shit posting. It's clever enough to not be detectable by the mods or even against the TOS. But many posters get on my nerve sometimes.

Vert1

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
What I like about the forum starts with the way it looks: it is the best-looking videogame forum. Simplicity presented avoiding all the unnecessary combined with the purple color scheme (in the dark theme, of course). Exquisite.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I liked that it was a place where numerous small underrepresented communities could find a safe home, and that it was created by and for the community coming off of what happened at gaf. It made me proud to be a contributor.

I like that there is a diversity of topics being discussed at a more rapid speed than traditional press, but with better quality control than social media sites. So, for now I like lurking.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The benefit is purely in raw population and numbers which allows smaller communities to stay alive through a trickle down method in a preferable to read format. And those smaller communities are fun and great to be around. Like the Manga OT.

The more popular a thread, the more involved both users and moderators are (in quantity of people, not in terms of number of posts), the more joyless and angry it becomes. All it takes is one poster to somewhat "stay on topic" while bringing up something debatable and everyone is guaranteed to have a miserable time for quite a few pages.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
User banned (permanent): Inflammatory accusations and hostility against users and staff, while refusing to provide evidence. History of infractions for extreme hostility.
Since you've publicly made these accusation, I pretty much had to actually query your interactions with Morrigan. I found that the two of you have never exchanged discourse on your family. I can share the three times you two directly spoke to each other if you'd like, for the record's sake.

Where do we go from here?

Given that Morrigan isn't even a mod at this point and no one's going to litigate over a thread that happened at least a year+ ago, it doesn't even really matter. Other than now just being attacked and I guess probably banned. I posted about my family, she absolutely said something to me to make me feel like she was calling me a liar and there wasn't anything more I could do about it at the time other than feel completely unwelcome here and it's persisted ever since. I've done my best to not interact with her instead.

Although "making accustations" after being publicly prompted by a mod for information in a bullish matter is some weird entrapment stuff too. I didn't have to say anything more and I chose to because I'm an open person.

Deleted member 55524

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
it's the best news aggregator there is, and the discussion of video games in here, despite the occasional negativity and shitposting, is much better than anywhere else I've seen.
It's this. The community can be really annoying sometimes (me included!), but the quality of posts and people are higher than just about any games forum.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
It's a good place to get a bunch of gaming news. Few ads, and the moderation is strong, leading to fewer fan-warriors posting (relatively speaking, for a gaming social media).

Also, occasionally, all the meme threads, like the "why can't you f-ers be normal" threads, the weekend threads, the poop threads, are entertaining on the other side. (The "pineapple don't belong on pizza" threads can die in a fire, though)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Given that Morrigan isn't even a mod at this point and no one's going to litigate over a thread that happened at least a year+ ago, it doesn't even really matter. Other than now just being attacked and I guess probably banned. I posted about my family, she absolutely said something to me to make me feel like she was calling me a liar and there wasn't anything more I could do about it at the time other than feel completely unwelcome here and it's persisted ever since. I've done my best to not interact with her instead.

Although "making accustations" after being publicly prompted by a mod for information in a bullish matter is some weird entrapment stuff too. I didn't have to say anything more and I chose to because I'm an open person.
You came into this thread, one meant to be positive and wholesome mind you, making incredibly incendiary accusations against other people without naming them. You're politely asked to clarify, and you call this "making accusations after being prompted in a bullish manner", despite having opened with said accusations completely unprompted to begin with. You then name me and Transistor (who, by the way, is still on staff) and repeat your disgusting lies, and when politely asked (twice) for even a shred of evidence, you flat out refuse and even call this "entrapment" and try to make a martyr out of yourself.

Pathetic. I'd almost call this... what's the word...
Yeah. That.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Bad hot takes, gaslighting, and the ignore thread button being the best creation in this forums existence

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I struggle to find another site that collates the breadth of industry topics that are discussed here. Reddit is close but the gaming communities are too fragmented into specialized subreddits for broader conversation to take place there, typically.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
Kinda funny how 2/3 members don't like the community.
It gives me some comfort that there's some comradery there to be honest. I stick around for the news and the majority of the members, so there's stuff to like about the community, I just have to liberally use the ignore button because my personality is like oil to water with some people on here. I'm obviously not alone there

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
So much better for news than big sites and for discovering smaller games I would never have thanks to the people here highlighting them. Also the discourse can be fun. Disagreeing respectfully with someone is a fantastic thing when done right and it happens more here than elsewhere I think.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
When you put it that way... I actually honestly have a somewhat difficult time answering it.

I came to here more because of a.... routine thing, I guess? Instead of because something I actually like about.

The ResetEra of today feels very different than the ResetEra of the beginning, where the sense of community is so strong after the great exodus from GAF. The ResetEra today is.... I don''t know, just doesn't feel the same.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Can't really pick between those options, but what really matters is the activity and the number of posters here. News get posted quickly and everything will have its own discussion thread. The worst thing about a forum is when discussions are barely alive since the active members are limited.

I guess that falls to the "community".

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
this is still the only place where there are 6 Elden Ring news threads as soon as news drops.

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just have spaces so your username is seperate words? That's how it's meant to be read anyway, not "an-chee-en-trep-ti-leb-rain", right?
or whoever designed the theme could've made sure the max length username would fit on one line by widening the cell by 6 px.

Code:
Like this

.message-cell.message-cell--user {
   flex: 0 0 150px;
}

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a big enough place that you'll find someone to connect with.

I'm kinda over lionizing it as the one good place to talk about video games on the internet. That isn't true, but it's not true in the sense that talking about video games with complete strangers gets messy real fast and there are over 50,000 strangers here who, god forbid I ever found myself in a room with them, I'd probably get along with them because now my existence is greater than a spicy hot take and a cartoon avatar that is the only personable face I can show. It's a place where you have a basic decorum to not be a horrible douchebag at human consequence, that's the higher standard we're held to over certain other avenues of game discussion, and I don't think that's always hashed out for the best on the users' end.

It's too easy to get lost in the weeds, to forget that you're human and so's who you're talking to, for things to get ramped up so fast that you're trying to one up the other in the name of proving yourself smarter/funnier/more informed/more woke/more centrist, and that's before you get into conversations of actual human meaning and not dumb electronic toys that are so wonderful you can have swaths of avenues to talk about how much you love those dumb electronic toys, and somehow we constantly get trapped in proving ourselves as a better person for enjoying those dumb electronic toys the right way. I wrote this and maybe within a week I'll fall short the exact same way, and I won't even realize I did it by the time I write something like this again.

It's too easy to get hurt with this many voices flying around, where every single word hangs in the air in perpetuity and nothing can be dropped because once you're done with one person someone else can decide what your words mean now too and you gotta decode them, and if you don't it's because you're admitting you're a villain. I feel that's a scenario where my most wanted choice would be to take it to a wrestling ring and do enough stone cold stunners to get them to shut up, I don't think I have the emotional bandwidth to be kind in the face of self-righteous anger anymore.

But the reality is that a place this big with this many strangers means you're gonna find a tribe within it and you're going to love them to pieces, and being a place this big means you can find plenty of those tribes and connect with as many people as you want. I can talk to complete strangers on why I think comic books featuring Sonic the Hedgehog are not only good, but the most consistently great piece of media in the entire franchise and legitimately great works of fantasy action/adventure comics in their own right, and if that don't just beat all then I don't know what does.

Last edited:

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
1. Game news - I just prefer resetera's way of informing me what's going on and what's current in the gaming world, just by reading the thread titles and click the ones that interest me.

2. Game opinions - I also think it's a great way to see what somewhat like-minded people think about games, both to help me decide whether to buy a game or not, but also to see if others feel the same way as me while I'm playing a game (and occasionally get little tips to enjoy them more).

3. Game sales - This is ruined now, but it used to be the best place to read sales discussions.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
The general knowledge level of the forum is really high and people are very friendly.

Besides I missed forums, and reddit doesn't really offer much nowadays.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
All jokes aside, I think it a offers a fair/balanced place for discussion. The benefits of moderation erring on the side of heavy-handedness outweigh the cons imo. There are knowledgeable/nice/fun/witty people here on almost any gaming subject and a large enough community to support a huge variety of specific niche communities.

I'm also a user of message boards (and newsgroups before) for decades, so I appreciate still having message boards like this as an alternative to reddit/social media/discord - the format of a message board isn't replaced by those, and it's my preferred method of discussion for a lot of subjects.