• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gillian03

Oct 28, 2017
A browser.

With common video codec support. And hardware acceleration.

That would do it for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
this.
i also want full BC with current switch games, digital and physical.
I would be absolutely shocked if the Switch's successor not only didn't have full BC support with Switch software, but the best BC implementation yet for a Nintendo platform. And I say that knowing full well which company I'm talking about.

My expectations are at minimum full physical/digital support and improved playback (i.e. hitting framerate/resolution targets more frequently) without the need to load up a legacy OS/blocked access to new system functions. And support for "enhanced" patches.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I'd wait for the actual translation of the Q&A first. He might have said somethinh completely different.

Jun 10, 2018
Irrespective of anything else, I'll know Nintendo is serious *IF* they opt for a graphene battery.

They do that and I'll be sure Switch 2 will be a beast.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
4K 144hz Mobile gaming with VR and 12 hours battery life and a hidden switchknife on the Joycons.

Apr 9, 2019
The interpretation I have is that they're partnered with nVidia now, which opens up a giant portfolio of interesting tech that they're willing to incorporate in one way or another.

MarcyPoos

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like too many are thinking about the computing aspect rather than the experience and user interface.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Aluminum body. Ditch the plastic and save the world, Nintendo.

Also, zero bezels please. I want that futuristic look.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
A browser, folders, and a time game tracker (like the 3DS one, not the approximated that Switch has)

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Messing around with the Labo VR software, they clearly had some enthusiasm and good ideas for it, despite the very limited hardware. I feel like DLSS was the missing piece of the puzzle to make VR work efficiently on mobile for them. Obviously the screen has to be MUCH higher resolution and higher framerate (not all the time, but in "VR Mode"), and the controller and headset tracking need to be sharp and handle 6DoF well, but Nintendo may be the best-equipped to take a swing at Oculus Quest right now.

I'd also like 1. a Smaller Dock , and 2. The ability to Wirelessly Broadcast to the Dock in close quarters, in addition to showing the same video on the Switch screen. This would be good for Streamers, as well as games where you want to use Touch Controls, but see it on your big screen. (For example, Super Mario Maker 2 building and playing.) WiFi 6 is basically made for this. Might be too expensive, but also maybe not?

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Essentially, DLSS. Every other thing, on the technological benefit side, would come with by default, as consequence of having that tech present. The power per watt improvements for even better battery life, higher RAM speed and more RAM with the newer memory chips, heck maybe even the what-was-it Nvidia IO system for loading assets directly into the GPU.

On the software side, the possible/necessary improvement are too many to list, but hopefully there will be better security to give at least some time until the hackers/'homebrewers' break in and start causing issues for everyone else.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Enough power to run a ton of games at 60fps at the screens resolution and a built in microphone.

I hope the built in screen resolution stays the same. Improved screen resolution would sacrifice battery life and battery life should be the top priority for Nintendo. Battery tech advances very slowly and Nintendo needs to act accordingly.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The most advanced nVidia architecture possible and the highest possible performing parts within that architecture at a price point of 400 or less.

Also, an nVidia-designed ARM CPU.

Oh yeah, and no fucking drift or any other by-design hardware failures.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
4K graphics using DLSS, 8gb of ram, a more recent chip set, it can run PS5 ports, bluetooth audio, a party chat system, at least 256gb of memory, and 5 hours of battery life.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the whole "cutting edge" thing was really badly taken out of context:

You might know the phrase "lateral thinking with withered technology" from Gunpei Yokoi, who
was the head of Nintendo's development department at one time. It means that innovative ideas
can lead to completely new entertainment using technology that already exists, which is easier for
developers to work with, and this type of entertainment can be mass produced at a price that puts
it well within reach of consumers. We do use some cutting-edge technology these days, but the
most important thing about how we use technology is that we create something that anyone can
play with simple and intuitive controls. Nintendo puts a lot of importance on our approach to
development by carefully selecting or developing technologies that consumers can use without
needing to struggle with complicated controls.

Meelow , this thread is based off a translated quote taken completed out of context. Nothing in the official translation hints at them wanting to use cutting edge tech in their next devices.

Last edited:

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
DLSS and a new Nvidia ARM custom Soc based on Ampere rather than a new Tegra, so it would be able to run even the more demanding next-gen games at 1080p with DLSS. If they keep the price as low as 399$ with all the third parties on board and Nintendo exclusives, it would be a serious PS5 contender

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
my dream is for the switch to see performance boosted to a level closer to a GTX 970.

So basically:

- DLSS 2.0 compatibility
- Decent quad-core/8-thread CPU
- GTX 970/GTX 1650 Super tier graphical performance
- At least 8GB of GDDR6 Ram
- An internal 512GB NVMe, with an NVMe expansion port for more storage
- A 1440p 90-120hz screen
- Full VR Support
- A Camera on the back and front sides, for Augmented Reality and motion tracking
- Improved Joyce's, with significantly better motion tracking

End Result:
- A Switch with not only 4k capability, but also full VR/Mixed Reality support.
- This would be a completely untethered VR machine, that could probably blow away the Oculus Quest 2
- With untethered mixed Reality, games could be designed to auto-generate worlds based on your actual play space. For example: scan your whole house in 3D, or go to the local park, or an abandoned building and scan it and play.
- It would also, in combination takeba system capable of running Xbox One/PS4 era games at 1080p 60fps, and combine it with DLSS 2.0, to run games at 4K 60fps, or 1440p 120fps, or 1440p 60fps with more capable visuals.

Last edited:

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't take bullshit investor talks too literally.

That said, I would like to see DLSS or something similar that would both improve performance and image quality.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
So with the recent news of Nintendo saying they are going to push for Cutting Edge tech,

Where was this ever said, in that random tweet by somebody or is there an actual quote by a Nintendo exec somewhere? All I found in yesterdays slides is "we can't simply follow what other companies are doing or chase the latest technology trends", which sounds quite the opposite of what people are claiming.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017