• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the worst?

• Sewer

Votes: 367 32.1%
  • Desert

Votes: 107 9.4%
  • Underwater

Votes: 668 58.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I can't hate this

giphy.gif

Nier: Automata

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I can't believe Underwater is winning like that. There's so much disrespect for papa Bioshock ITT. I'm not even a big Bioshock fan, but like what the fuck, dude. Rapture is cool as hell and it's the most underwater place that ever underwatered.

giphy.gif

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
my hate meter:
Underwater >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sewer >>>>>>>>>> ... > Desert
Don't know why I should hate desert levels. They're usually interesting.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
I actually like all of them.

The true eyesore is the awfully uninspired semi futuristic corridor space station/ factory setting.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
That's a difficult question, although I haven't seen any particularly terrible sewer level.
On the other hand:
  • Every desert level in Fire Emblem is godawful by virtue of reducing the movement of most of your units. No exceptions. Arcadia in Binding Blade particularly so.
  • Whereas bad underwater levels are much more common (Seriously, why does virtually every platformer have at least one of them?), but levels like the Seaside Kingdom in Mario Odyssey proves that there are exceptions to this rule.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
How can anyone hate deserts? They look amazing most of the time and have good music to boot.
They're often mazes/endlessly repeating screens where you just walk ahead waiting for a cutscene to happen. See Secret of Mana, Xenogears, etc.

But I vote sewers. Long, drab, annoying music, narrow walkways with unavoidable fights, pesky monsters and absolutely nothing interesting until the end. Only in fighting games sewer action is interesting enough that you forget where you are.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If desert levels have that sand that you kinda sink into so it slows you down and makes your jumps bad, they are the worst of these three. Ice levels can be even worse if on top of having slippery surfaces, they also have snow that works similarly to the sand I mentioned.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I voted sewer because there are just too many of them and they are always boring to play through.
So many games have a sewer level it's hilarious......the only one I've ever enjoyed was The Depths.
Underwater levels can be annoying but most games don't have them so it's not really an issue.
I love desert areas in games,just played through The Caspian in Metro Exodus.....a great example.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Underwater levels. Because the thought of drowning, even in a videogame, stresses me the hell out. And even if drowning isn't possible, swimming usually doesn't feel great tbh.

Not sure what's wrong with desert levels tbh. I certainly don't think of "desert levels" like I do "snowy levels" and "underwater levels"

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Sewers. There are desert and underwater levels (much) worse than the average sewer level but sewer levels are almost universally samey and boring. The only standout sewer section I can think of is in Yakuza 0.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
Ice Levels are usually boring and not very good to look at .... I also hate industrial power plant type levels, they;re usually brown grey and depressing.

New Horizons

Jun 18, 2019
Dude, in general I love Desert levels. Usually has some great music, and I love the look and feel of Oasis settlements and dessert towns.

So many games I love had wonder desert areas.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What about airship levels? Can't be the only one playing Mario Maker atm rolling his eyes at generic airship level number 2839.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Super Mario 1-2 makes a pretty good case for sewers in games.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually underwater.

Generally controls like shit and the air timer is always too short. This has been true since Sonic and as recent as the newest Tomb Raider.

Oct 26, 2017
I will never understand the hate for underwater levels.

Movement may be slower but you get vertical freedom - a whole additional dimension to explore.

As a way to change things up it's great.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Did you have to go back and forth into the menu to change masks and if so, did this guess addressed in the 3DS version?
Yes and yes, menu tedium is definitely not as much of an issue in general because of the hardware, but I never really minded it in the first place. I would play the original if you have a powerful PC, I don't like the smaller screen and I prefer the original graphics personally.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Voted sewer because of Witcher.

Edit: and yeah, add ice to the poll and I might actually change my answer.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I can't believe Underwater is winning like that. There's so much disrespect for papa Bioshock ITT. I'm not even a big Bioshock fan, but like what the fuck, dude. Rapture is cool as hell and it's the most underwater place that ever underwatered.

giphy.gif
You know that's not what OP meant. BioShock is not an underwater level/game. Being underwater there is the backdrop, not the gameplay.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Deserts arn't that common, and usually look really great if the game isn't exclusively that (BOTW, Uncharted 3)

Underwater levels may be bad gameplay wise back in the day, but now offer beautiful environments.

Fuck sewer levels. Always.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I can run around on sand or swim around with Aquaman, but I will be damned if I have to buy another pair of boots because someone put the MacGuffin in doodoo water.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sewer for sure. there are entire underwater games so it can be done well if carefully designed. sewers are always bad.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Underwater levels are usually the worst but there have been standout good water levels and games designed around the prospect, and if it weren't for those we wouldn't have gotten the GOAT

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Voted underwater because you're moving too slow and it feels like you're going nowhere fast. Would have considered ice levels if we're an option. That feeling of skating, slipping and sliding is a pain in the butt.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
It's hard for me to pick one, as I know of good and bad examples of them all. I suppose that sewer > desert > water in terms of which is more likely TO suck.

Desert in fire emblem games are my biggest annoyance in its series. Let's make half of your army (or more) terrible at movement. Also, put nothing but flying enemies to swoop in and kill you. Even still, find all the hidden treasure (some easier than others without a guide).

Blargh