• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the worst?

• Sewer

Votes: 367 32.1%
  • Desert

Votes: 107 9.4%
  • Underwater

Votes: 668 58.5%

• Total voters

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I personally cannot stand sewer sections in video games. Dark Labyrinths that look the same, just fucking awful!

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Underwater. Really any level that makes me move slow. I want levels that make me move faster.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Underwater, if only because it almost always makes the controls much worse.

I've never really had a problem with sewer levels or desert levels.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Desert levels feel more open and underwater levels typically have chill music, so sewers lose out.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
How can anyone hate deserts? They look amazing most of the time and have good music to boot.

Nov 23, 2017
The worst is probably sewer levels just for how much reuse games generally do in them. Underwater levels are probably the least fun though.

Spin off question: What is the best desert, sewer, and underwater levels? Ones actually good?

I quite like the 2nd star in Paper Mario, the Koholint Desert. The sewer is at first fun in FFXII, but quickly the repetition of that stuff sets in.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I almost voted Sewer just because I felt that the sewer portion of RE2 remake was the sole weak point in that game and I did not have much fun exploring that area.

However, of the three, water levels have the greatest chance of sucking. Mario games typically have fun water levels when they're used sparingly, Donkey Kong Country has some good ones, but so many are slow and boring, if not frustrating.

Desert levels can be visually boring, but Mario 3 is full of 'em and Mario 3 kicks ass. Also, the Sand Kingdom is probably my favorite level in Mario Odyssey because it's probably the most realized stage in the game.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sewers are rarely ever interestng levels. They take the worst aspects of game design (linear boxy hallways) and then at times make it hard to navigate. At least the other examples have obvious themes, challenges, atmsophere, etc. Sewer levels almost always feel like padding, the video game equivelant of a bottle episode.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Hmm I can't think of any levels outright that piss me off. Maybe desert levels since they're bland? Just sand everywhere.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Underwater and it's not even a competition. I'd rather deal with boring desert levels than have to swim half assed

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Underwater levels can be good, like in Donkey Kong Country or 2D Mario games. I can't think of a single 'good' sewer level. Even Bloodborne couldn't make its sewers interesting.

Desert levels I have no problem with.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Desert levels are usually great, I'm having trouble thinking of a bad one. Act 2 of D3 I guess was kind of shitty but that whole game is ass. Out of all of those I'd say water levels suck the most.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There's a reason why water stages always have the best music. To make them tolerable

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Sewers suck. The only tolerable one I recall off the top of my head was Broken Sword I, which was (a), brief, and (b), actually based on the real Paris sewers so that's neat. But the rest are just exercises in giant rat tedium and dull palettes.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Underwater levels are always the worst.

Snow levels also get me.

Let me just at wind levels for good measure.

All can get fucked lol.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Underwater because bigass shark or crocs pop out of nowhere.

Doubly so if it's a first person section.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
TMNT NES makes a compelling argument for both sewers and underwater.

140719-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-nes-screenshot-area-3-sewers.gif

tmnt-nes-water.jpg

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sewer levels should die. Even short ones are terribly bland, ugly and borring with very few exceptions.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Underwater, sewer, then desert. I grew fond of Xenogears in spite of it having all three.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I love me some desert levels, and there've been some stellar underwater levels in the past. I can't think of a single likeable sewer level besides from the Resi 2 remake.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
underwater because, at minimum, the mission takes way longer. i was texting during the underwater levels in SOTR

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Depends on the game of course, but generally desert levels. I just find the aesthetic to be so unappealing, and they usually come with dull music (Sonic is a huge exception here). I also hate hot weather and environments in real life, though.

On the other hand I love underwater levels (allowing exceptions for games that implement them poorly), and I'm actually the only person I know who does. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Deleted member 56909

User requested account closure
Banned
May 21, 2019
underwater
I'm that weirdo who liked Tris underwater combat so dessert for me I despise how boring it is as a setting usually. Sewer levels just usually creep me out.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
TMNT NES makes a compelling argument for both sewers and underwater.
tmnt-nes-water.jpg
Think I made it past that section like one time. It's like that hover bike level in Battletoads. The sharp spike in difficulty just ruins the game.

Water levels need to be taken off the list because of David Wise's Aquatic Ambience.

Purely on aesthetics, I'd probably say sewer levels are worse than desert levels. I'm thinking there's plenty of attractive looking desert levels in Mario games for example.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Underwater levels are the worst. Even worse when the game is mediocore at best.

f*ck this stage

spex-storm.gif

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I usually hate underwater levels. Water Temple in OoT is the only real exception. The generally either make you move slower, or have a timer until you drown. Things like dodging mine is MGS2 also always really annoyed me.

Sewers can be atmospheric, and Desert levels can be pretty fun, but underwater missions almost always stink.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Sewers. You can make an underwater level or a desert level interesting, but no matter what the setting is a sewer is always a sewer.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Underwater levels for me. Low/obscured visibility combined with impeded movement, yeesh. Soma was a pretty severe offender of this, because it's meant to be a horror game so it extra amplified this.

Abzu on the other hand gets a total and absolute pass, probably because the whole game is designed around being underwater.

Oct 27, 2017
Underwater, you have to do so much before you start running out of oxygen.

The ones like in uncharted and tomb raider where there are no air pockets suck too because you have to do it quickly, and sometimes I don't know where I'm going.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I can find underwater or desert levels I've liked, but hated all sewer levels I can remember. Especially in RE2, worst area in the game.