• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this movie back in 2008 and I really loved it. Just watched it again today for the first time since then and it's still really good. It holds up really well. Nice music, cast and story.

Superman and Daredevil star in the movie.

Last edited:

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, way too many recognizable actors on a rewatch

Still bitter about some big book changes (still sad they cut the Tori Amos tree part) but an awesome movie anyway

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you like Princess Bride (which I've only seen bits of) it's definitely the movie for you.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It was OK. Fun little fantasy movie, I just didn't find it too memorable, and have only rewatched it once or twice since seeing it in theaters.

I was totally fine with the film makers making it their own movie and deviating from the book.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Book is better, and honestly I didn't love the book - the interesting part (where it deviates from the traditional fantasy story) is what the movie sort of tosses out.

But it's fine for what it is - an inventive fantasy story with good actors and solid effects. Great if you're into it.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it. I was somewhat surprised it didn't do better, but what I remember from the marketing at the time was way different from the actual movie. I don't recall anything making me want to see it so probably really poor marketing.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it, too, but my god De Niro was horrible in it. One of those cases where stunt casting can almost ruin a movie for me.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'm a pretty big Gaiman fan and while there are some things missing from the book, I thought it was still pretty darn good. Not amazing or anything but I enjoyed it.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty average but we got this song out of it so it's all good

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate this movie. I felt like it completely misread and misunderstood what the book was going for. I saw the movie first and disliked it so much I avoided the book for a long time, imagine my surprise when I got around to reading it and it was actually quality.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I love the movie. Always good for a re-watch.

Helps that it draws on a lot of feelings around the Princess Bride.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I really dig this movie. First time I watched I remember thinking why didn't the actor who played the dad as a young man get the lead role because he seemed much better than Charlie Cox. But by the end of the movie I loved Cox and couldn't imagine anyone else playing that part.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's a pretty perfect and tight fantasy-comedy. The acting is great, the ideas are bizarre and totally work. Plus, this fight sequence:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Omg Tori was in this?? Is the cut scene available on the blu ray?

You know in this song

https://youtu.be/V8PmtpNr9zg?t=173

When she says "But will you find me if Neil makes me a tree" she is refering to the book version of Stardust (neil is Neil Gaiman, the author), where the Copper Beech Tree was based on her. She even plays the part in the radio adaptation of Stardust (you can hear her part here - warning : requires flash player =/). The character is not in the movie =(

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's really good, but Robert DeNiro's character is absolutely the worst. Even when gay camp and crossdressing weren't as polticially incorrect to play for laughs, I never found that sort of thing funny. It was grating when the film came out, now it's grating and dated.

Still a pretty superb movie though.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great film. Absolutely loved it.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
i love this movie, and when I showed it to my kids a few years ago, my son was obsessed with it. he was in pre-school or kindergarten and summarized the entire movie in broken english and he told us he wanted to have the main character's haircut (which was impossible cause he had short hair). Great family movie.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Saw the movie, thought it was quite good.

Read the book: it's just ... amazing. I don't think I would watch the movie again. I've re-read the book three times. It's my favorite from the modern fairy tale genre.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoy it, despite knowing that it's not a great movie. It's a nice palate cleanser: Fun, occasionally funny, and inventive. Good cast also.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourites. The only thing that taints it for me is that I saw it on a really bad date with an ex when we were about to break up. It's not her fault, but the tension between us ruined what I recognised at the time as a really fun ride.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Fun but the hollywood ending is really disappointing. Should have kept the book ending even if it is an anti-climax.