• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the place I always end up when I google random questions about a game I'm playing. Oh and guides for old games I'm playing. Other than that, not really a place I'd hang out in for any extended period of time.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I use it for guides, because I really dislike video guides for games and simply want text, or accompanying screenshots at most.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It can be better than OTs here sometimes for new Nintendo games, a tiny dedicated board for a game lets some conversations air out a bit more. And yeah, the guides are still super useful for older games.

But it's pretty obviously sparsely moderated and that's plain to see.

goatthief

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty terrible lately. I don't know if I just had a veil over my eyes or if it's devolved recently but on the Current Events board they harassed a girl until she was suicidal over Christmas and then doxxed her today. Terrible people all around. The mods freely join in too.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Havent used it in forever, only for guides and upsetting my ol' mother by wasting all the printers ink.

Never bothered with the forums, I was a something awful/YTMND/channer teen edgelord.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The small boards for certain titles are still good. Like I said above I use it for SRW and Gundam games. Unless you're involved in some niche Discord channel the board is often the only English speaking place on the internet devoted to some of those games.

I can't imagine what it's like for larger, more popular titles, though.

I'm surprised that's even the case for individual games you follow. 99% of boards are dead on arrival these days.

It used to be a place where every random XBLA game released would have activity and such, but now you don't even get posts on the boards for popular sports/GaaS games.

Typically any niche game that isn't an RPG or like what you've described never gets any activity whatsoever. The popular games that do get activity are mostly battlegrounds for people to rant because no other place accepts them, as there are an alarming amount of posters that tend to align with gamergate mentality.

As someone who also grew up on gamefaqs and spent a LOT of time on Current Events many years ago... it's always been that way.

It's also wild how I can go look at CE right now and see a dozen usernames I recognize from when I frequented like 8+ years ago who are still there. Just on the first page of threads.

Gonna have to disagree. Maybe CE is still not that bad (wasn't where I typically hung around), but every other avenue from system boards to special interests has been infested with some real toxic seeds. Including people who 20 years ago seemed cool as they were making and sharing custom gameshark codes, now completely off the rails awful.

TLOU2 board over the summer was essentially what a hub of deleted posts from every other forum on the internet would look like.

Last edited:

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
unknown.png

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I still go there for the poll of the day out of habit. It's useful for discussion about niche games that don't get much traction on here, too.

Kamikazekoala

Oct 29, 2017
Well, it is good for guides. And sometimes you get good info on the forums too. But I have no need to actually post there, so..

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
I find the guides pretty helpful when I'm not using Neoseeker. And I do use their game collection stuff to keep track of my game library (though I also use Backloggery).

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
I grew up on GameFAQs as well. Posted on their all the time from probably 2001 - 2007. Zero interest in going back.

I bet there are some posters there that I used to talk with on GameFAQs back in the day, though.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Still the best place to go for guides

Especially for old and obscure games

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Its pretty fine to me. I read/post there a bunch, an of course I use it for faqs!! Preferably txt based ones. html faqs will forever suck.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't. I only thought of Gamefaqs up until the early 00's or so, when I needed some walkthroughs.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I still check it to look at info for old jrpgs every now and then.

It would still be relevant to me for modern games if there will still jrpgs being released I care about, but that's pretty rare nowadays

TLH

Oct 29, 2017
I sometimes use GameFAQs for guides, tricks (for older games) or for talking about gameplay details (like advanced mechanics or hard-to-get achievements). But for other gaming-related things and discussions I prefer this board's atmosphere much more.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I like the guides, especially the old ones. So much personality

it's where I first saw the resident evil plot analysis

I get info there, someone has usually asked my question already so I search

I appreciate that. General discourse is shit though so I do my hanging out here, no place else

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I only go to GameFAQs nowadays to see what's coming out. It's not great, but it's the most reliable resource to get a quick snapshot on major releases per console.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
GameFaqs is often my go-to when I need high res cover art for things like CLZ Games, Playnite or LaunchBox. Other than that, I don't use it.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Depending on the game, it's still the primary source of info for me. I have more games than time so I like to do as much as I can in as little playthroughs as I can (i.e. get true ending in first go) so it's typically the best source of information for me (again, mostly depends on the game - newer games seem to have better info on official/steam forums and/or wikis). I hate video walkthroughs because either I have to listen to a lot of useless crap for the info that may or may not even help or I have to figure out which specific video has it when there are tons of competing videos (i.e. Let's Plays). I.E. I like to watch Fightincowboy's videos of the Souls Series, but there's no way I can easily keep track of that info if I ever wanted to refer to it (Souls is one of those games I prefer watching rather than playing anyway).

Can't say I've noticed the forums being any worse than any others. I guess I do notice the signatures, but for the most part, I don't think those people are posting in the same forums for the games I play.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
spent countless hours there on the forums. Still use it for quick answers on random games. Used to love going there for Mortal Kombat fan discourse but got chased away by how toxic and transphobic it is. Major bummer.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It is a big resource for me when playing retro games. I use to post in the forums a lot too until somebody there mentioned Neogaf and I made the switch back in 2011.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
It was my first forum back in 2002, moved on from it mostly after a few years to a spinoff but still like to do the polls on occasion and use the FAQs to this day. The forums now are awful (to be fair they've mostly been awful), but I still lurk sometimes out of an old habit I guess.

The character battles need to stop though

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I visit for old text guides and some browsing. I rarely engage. Especially since most of the time I'm visiting old game haunts with less than 5 posts that year.

In my time there i haven't experienced anything too out there, mostly similar to stuff from the likes of Reddit or various other game forums. That said, I don't go to the social boards nor do I go into controversial topics there.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best place to search for specific game related answers but I don't touch it beyond getting the info I need and then vanishing

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great resource for older games, and it'll be very sad if/when it goes away. There isn't any real.vslue for newer.gwmes now that dedicated guide sites have taken off like they have, and I imagine that will threaten its continued existence.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I only found out about gaf because some chud was complaining about it on there, so naturally I had to check it out.

This was obviously pre-me too. Glad I ended up here.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
There are some truly outstanding guides on there for some favorite legacy games, just amazing stuff that gets really into the details. It is also good to pop one's head in for older games that don't generate discussion in other places. So while I don't frequent, my account has remained active occasionally. I think the relative market decline of complex RPGs generally and JRPGs specifically has hurt it.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I was still on GameFaqs before making the move to ResetEra earlier this year - a very good choice in hindsight. I was there for a long time too, but I couldn't handle the trolling and toxicity anymore.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i use the guides for older games. that's about it. i prefer written guides to YT vids but for new releases, the vids show up sooner

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Recently I've been going through the Yakuza games and Gamefaqs has a user that makes incredible guides for them if you plan on going for 100%.