• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you expect to be the next big (excluding ports and tiny games) game from the 3D Mario team?

• Mario Odyssey 2

Votes: 150 51.4%
  • Full Mario 64 remake

Votes: 22 7.5%
  • Mario Galaxy 3

Votes: 25 8.6%
  • 3D World sequel

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • New IP

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • New type of Mario game

Votes: 62 21.2%
  • Not a new IP, not a Mario game either.

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
Oct 26, 2017
In October 2017, the 3D Mario team at Nintendo released Mario Odyssey. Since then, they released a tiny amount of DLC for Mario Odyssey and added a bit of content to the Captain Toad port and have otherwise been quiet. It's coming up on three years since Mario Odyssey and the rumors for this year (3D World port and a collection of old 3D Mario ports) strongly suggest that there won't be a big original 3D Mario anytime soon (like next 12 months soon). So, what do we expect for their next game?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Odyssey 2!

4PiZ.gif

Or hopefully Super Mario 64 being a complete remake.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Whatever it is, I hope it's in the vein of 64/Sunshine/Galaxy and not 3D World or Odyssey.

It'll probably be Odyssey 2, though.

Titanish

Apr 2, 2019
Still waiting on those 3D Mario Collection rumors. There must be some truth to them.
Other than that, Odyssey 2 (with another name) is a respectable guess, but who knows, they might revive Sunshine? Idk

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
And Odyssey was done before the Switch even launched. They've been working on something or somethings for 3.5 years....

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that its still a game in the "Mario Universe" but it may not be a mainline 3D platformer. So something like a Yoshi's Island or Captain Toad.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping for a game which bridges the gap between the sandbox and platforming gameplay styles.

A seamless open land with "Worlds" accessible from any direction, with each World made up of devious platforming challenges. There'd even be a Moon World you could take a rocket to with Galaxy-esque gravity.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with Odyssey 2, because I have a hard time seeing Nintendo not using the same engine to continue exploring more locations with the same hat mechanics and refined moveset, and I'm sure the development team would be eager to try out new things within this imaginative world. I also don't think people are demanding a new 3D Mario universe, they just want more 3D Mario.

If BOTW is getting a direct sequel, I don't see why Odyssey wouldn't.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
One thing that would just be weird if this is a same engine sequel is this will have like some massive four year dev cycle which would be pretty long for the franchise.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm expecting Odyssey 2, but don't want it over the alternatives. Give me a new Mario game style: Super Mario Dimensions.

Also a Mario 64 remake would be legendary.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Odyssey 2 even though I don't really want it, would much rather have Galaxy 3 or a new approach that has a similar focus on more linear platforming and less copy-and-pasted filler.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I hope with all my heart that it's Odyssey 2 and that I get to continue using Cappy, and maybe even expanding the move set a bit. Also, more music like Break Free.

I've enjoyed almost every 3D Mario, but none of them has hit the way Odyssey did with me. That game is pure magic.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They can get so much deeper into the Odyssey mechanics. I'm sure that's what they will do. Hopefully a Galaxy 1->2 kind of improvement from the first.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Not a Galaxy 3/ 3DW 2 or odyssey 2.

Something new. Although if it's switch it'll probably very Odyssey-like.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey 2 and I'm not super pumped about it. Odyssey lacked charm to me and is just one of the worst entries in the series in recent memory. Loved Galaxy, 3d world, hell I even liked sunshine a lot.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Hopefully an actual open world Sandbox Mario game and not a hub world collectathon Like Odyssey

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
For a while I was thinking Odyssey 2 but it has been a fairly long amount of time so maybe they are making bigger changes. Kind of thinking a new type of Mario game npw/

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'd love a new IP from Nintendo, but being realistic I expect them to release Odyssey 2, first game has too much potential to not use it in an even better sequel.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Voted with my heart...Galaxy 3, Galaxy is peak Mario for me.

Though I do fully believe it is MO2.

Oct 25, 2017
From the list, everything else would be disappointing. Galaxy 3 would be a big nope for me. 3D World 2 would be an even bigger nope.

I guess a new 3D Mario would be okay, but to not even get DLC for Odyssey before they move on would be a massive bummer to me.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Galaxy 3, seeing as the Galaxy games are far and away the best 3D games in the series. What do I expect? Probably a slightly more linear Odyssey 2, I suppose.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Odyssey is a sequel to 64/Sunshine and Galaxy has very little to do with Mario 64...
You do know that Odyssey is a lot closer to Mario 64 than Galaxy was right?
I'm aware that Odyssey is closer to 64 in terms of level design. I didn't like the way moons were handled in Odyssey, and I prefer the way 64/Sunshine/Galaxy do it, which is earning stars/shines for only doing "bigger" objectives. That's all.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I think it'll be Odyssey 2 following their trend of one 'style' of Mario game per generation. Like how the Wii got 2 Galaxy games, the Switch having Odyssey in its first year will let the Switch get an Odyssey 2 before they do something new for new hardware.

Oct 28, 2017
Think it'll be Odyssey 2 as there's still a lot they can do with it. Odyssey was great but some of the levels were less than inspiring, and there were so many moons (more than half of which felt like copy/paste) that they felt devalued. Give me 10 per stage for doing meaningful things and 10 large, imaginative stages and I'll be very happy.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Odyssey was so close to being the perfect Mario game for me.

I still love it and pick it up every now and then just to run around in its worlds but the overabundance of moons (ranging from pre-school difficulty to Castlevania 2-style hiding places) and the lame post-game challenge arena kind of brought it down a hair for me.

There is still so much potential with this format so I hope we get another Odyssey game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey 2.

Every step you take, a new moon appears.

You talk to Peach and moons stream out of her mouth

You jump and mario explodes into more moons

MOONS

DoctorDave

Nov 6, 2019
I wish for Galaxy 3 with all my heart, but I'd bet it would be Odyssey 2. The game was a huge success and I'm sure they still have many unused ideas for a sequel.

Oct 31, 2017
They should make adventure Mario into a totally different IP. Make it Yoshi.

Mario, IMHO, should be laser focused on hazards, platforms, and power-ups.

I'd like to see them further their Galaxy -> 3D Land/World path, and as mentioned, would like to see them make adventure 3D Mario into something else. Yoshi or Kirby, or even a totally new IP.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Yoshi's Island Switch.

They finally found a great way to transform the magic of the original Yoshi's Island into 3D.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware that Odyssey is closer to 64 in terms of level design. I didn't like the way moons were handled in Odyssey, and I prefer the way 64/Sunshine/Galaxy do it, which is earning stars/shines for only doing "bigger" objectives. That's all.

Same. It's crazy that if that was a single change I'd have rated the game a 10 instead of a 9 lol. As is the whole thing feels like a pointless collectathon especially when you realise you can even buy moons in the shops for coins...

It was very much made for Switch as a concept in terms of them wanting people to be able to accomplish something in a ten minute burst. It worked fantastically for BotW (ironic considering it was created for WiiU) for me in terms of exploring, finding some crafting materials and shrines but that sort of design just doesn't work when it comes to what I want from a big budget 3D Mario game.

Super Mario 3D World is the perfect type of 3D Mario for Switch especially the multiplayer aspect.

I don't really care what they're doing next as it seems I'll be getting 64 and Galaxy HD this year. They can do whatever they want with the series now I finally have those 😂

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I'd be okay with a brand new Mario game but it will be Mario Odyssey 2 I think. They just need to not have like 50 moons per level (and have 40 of them be throw away trash moons). It really de-values the moons you collect.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I want a game of focused and difficult platforming. Lost Levels in spirit. Odyssey was too easy. I'd love for whatever comes next to have more accessibility options regardless of its difficulty, but me, personally—I want a good platforming challenge.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I want and hope for an Odyssey 2.

Sure, there were issues with the first game (too many moons, too easy, etc.) but a lot of the issues can be addressed in the next game.

The capture mechanic is just too good, and there was a ton of unused potential with the mechanic that I still want to see. Like, where's my haunted level that lets me control boos?

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a good chance for Odyssey 2, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did something entirely new. Personally I would like an entirely new concept, as much as I liked Odyssey.