• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will be the main method of control?

• Twin sticks (shooters standard): left for moving, right for aiming

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • Twin sticks (something weird but inventive): explain in the thread please

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Cool motion controls: gyro-aiming, for example

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • Other option: explain your crazy idea please

Votes: 8 3.8%

• Total voters

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The game will probably allow more than one input method, but the poll is referred to the main one. My (safe) bet is: twin sticks (shooters standard). Gyro aiming would be allowed for certain actions when undocked and fully compatible when docked too.

Let's discuss the implications of the controls in the gameplay itself.

Thanks and g nite.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo are pretty good at offering alternate controller solutions.

It'll probably be built around traditional controllers given that's the default, but offer gyro controls, and split joycon aiming.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Modern controls will make the pace of the game faster, less deliberate, and less contemplative. I expect them to use modern controls but I will highly commend them if they don't.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
...What should I vote if I expect it to play like Metroid Prime? Lock-on, little to no aiming. Right stick switches weapons.

I suspect that we'll get a gyro-assisted option, but I have to imagine that they'll primarily stick to the sticks and buttons for this game with them taking into consideration handheld mode. Not that it's impossible to get a Prime 3-like split control option, but I feel like that the situation is such that they're not going to put as much of an emphasis on that as they did in that game, which makes me wonder if we might see a return to beam switching since they'll have plenty of inputs this time around to make it possible.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting twin-stick with gyro assist and the option to enable or disable enemy lock-on. I'll be disappointed by anything less.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I suspect that we'll get a gyro-assisted option, but I have to imagine that they'll primarily stick to the sticks and buttons for this game with them taking into consideration handheld mode. Not that it's impossible to get a Prime 3-like split control option, but I feel like that the situation is such that they're not going to put as much of an emphasis on that as they did in that game, which makes me wonder if we might see a return to beam switching since they'll have plenty of inputs this time around to make it possible.
If Im not wrong, its not possible to replicate MP3 controls on the Switch because you dont have the pointer.

Would the gyro be enough? I dunno.

Yeah, it could be. IRRC, in MP3 the camera moves when the pointer reaches the limits of the reticle (great idea btw).
You can definitely set up the controls in a way for gyro that obeys bounding boxes like Prime 3 employs for the pointer. It's not a question of whether the Switch could do it, but more if they want to spend the resources to design a game around a split controller option that could have issues adapting down to handheld mode, since that would effectively make the game impossible to play without the kickstand. That's why I think it's much more likely that we get something that hems more towards Splatoon, which uses gyro for precision but still utilizes the stick for broader movements. I kinda hope they do, since that would mean that the awesome sniper bolt functionality of the Nova Beam from Prime 3 could come back intact.

Damn, that thing was fun.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You can definitely set up the controls in a way for gyro that obeys bounding boxes like Prime 3 employs for the pointer. It's not a question of whether the Switch could do it, but more if they want to spend the resources to design a game around a split controller option that could have issues adapting down to handheld mode, since that would effectively make the game impossible to play without the kickstand. That's why I think it's much more likely that we get something that hems more towards Splatoon, which uses gyro for precision but still utilizes the stick for broader movements. I kinda hope they do, since that would mean that the awesome sniper bolt functionality of the Nova Beam from Prime 3 could come back intact.

Damn, that thing was fun.
I definitely think that gyro assist is the preferable solution over the old bounding box system, but I also think it'd be really fucking neat to have the ability to hold a button for quick screen-space aiming, too. Fold 'em into one another. Such an approach work in handheld mode like a charm.

Actually, there it is. Dual-stick with gyro assist when you're not locked on. Screen-space aiming when you are locked on or holding LZ (with a bounding box that enables you to quickly check in other directions without changing your character facing). Best of both worlds.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I doubt the d make the motion controls mandatory in handheld mode (in any of the methods). Many people, including myself, prefer not to move the console at all when playing in handheld mode.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
They have no choice but to give it twin stick shooter controls. At the same time I feel like Nintendo would be stupid enough to keep the old control scheme "just because". Fucking hell it better be twin stick.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I always really liked the original Prime's control setup even before MP3 elevated it with IR pointing. Throw in Gyro and I would be very content and happy with that setup on a normal controller and even better if they could get it to work like MP3 with the detached joycons. It was perfectly fine setup and it was a unique way of doing things that helped to put you in the shoes of playing as Samus.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Separate JoyCons with Stick movement and gyro-simulated pointer aim similar to prime 3. Twin stick or Gamecube Controls with gyro assist only in handheld mode. 😈

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If it doesn't use standard Prime controls, I'm hoping there will be standard twin-stick controls. There can also be whatever waggly gimmick bullshit they want to cram in there, of course, as long as I don't ever have to use it to play the game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like the way the original Metroid Prime works. Focus on exploration not on aiming/shooting.
I think you can expect lock-on to remain an important mechanic in Metroid Prime, as long as Retro expects players to have access to the face buttons during combat. With that said, Metroid Prime's tank controls were a concession to the design of the Gamecube controller more than anything else, and aren't likely to appear in Metroid Prime games moving forward, since they haven't been featured in any Prime game since Prime 2. We'll probably be using the right stick (and motion controls) to look around, in MP4.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
As much as it would frustrate me, I'd be perfectly fine if they used the control scheme from the first two games (never really played the third one because of motion controls).

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's going to be an MP4. I think they're rebooting into a third person, 3D metroid, possibly set after Fusion. That's ripe territory story/powers wise.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for something weird and unique for the game, but I'm pretty sure they'll just use basic FPS controls, maybe motion controls if we're lucky. Make that optional though, but that worked great for MP3/Trilogy.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Ideally I'd want something that replicates Prime 3 motion controls, but I'm not sure that can be done on Switch and whatever control scheme they choose also needs to be practical for on-the-go handheld play, I'm guessing it's going to be standard dual analog fps controls with optional gyro.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's going to be an MP4. I think they're rebooting into a third person, 3D metroid, possibly set after Fusion. That's ripe territory story/powers wise.

As many nights as i've spent crying myself to sleep over the burning desire for a sequel to Metroid Fusion, I can't see this happening. Besides the obvious reason of nintendo going out of there way saying "hey metroid prime 4 is gonna be a thing y'all" I can't see them rebooting their franchise. Out of any of Nintendo's franchises, Metroid's probably the least likely to get a reboot. Plus a Metroid 5/Sequel to Fusion would never happen if Yoshio Sakamoto wasn't involved; I may be mistaken but I don't believe he's worked on any of the Prime games.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they post a video saying it was having trouble so they were scrapping and starting over from square one? I think anything is possible
Sure, there's always the chance it could evolve into something else, but even in that video it was still being pitched as Metroid Prime game.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
...What should I vote if I expect it to play like Metroid Prime? Lock-on, little to no aiming. Right stick switches weapons.

That would be an absolute joke in the modern day. I could see it being an option for those who miss the old school controls, but making it the main/only option would kill the game for those too young to have played the old ones. And quite possibly me, despite Metroid Prime 1 and 2 being amongst my favourite games of all time.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That would be an absolute joke in the modern day. I could see it being an option for those who miss the old school controls, but making it the main/only option would kill the game for those too young to have played the old ones. And quite possibly me, despite Metroid Prime 1 and 2 being amongst my favourite games of all time.

It's going to be lock on with twinstick/ gyroscope controls when you're not locked on. The series had this control scheme as recently as federation force only a couple of years ago.

They're not going back to the crap tank controls of the two GameCube entries, that much is certain.

Didn't they post a video saying it was having trouble so they were scrapping and starting over from square one? I think anything is possible

They've been explicitly calling it metroid prime 4. The metroid prime name tells us it's going to be a behind the visor game. They're not going to model it more after the game that practically killed the series for the better part of a decade.

They were having trouble with the new developer being unable to actually develop the game to Nintendo's standards and had to change studios, which is nothing like changing genre completely. Especially not when they switched developer to the people who made their names on the first person viewpoint.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Industry standard twin-stick controls with added gyro. They would be insane to stick to a layout similar to the GameCube. Lock-on might stick around in similar form to the advanced setting in Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I am fully expecting gyro and twin sticks. I am also expecting tank controls that a lot of newcomers will be annoyed by. I am really praying they never go full gyro. I don't understand people who clamor for it in every shooter. I hate it with a passion even more than weapons breaking or ingame ads. But well, as long as there are different options for players

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Everything.

Normal dual-analog.

Dual-analog with motion assist like BotW.

Sensitivity settings for motion controls.

Bring all of it.