• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No one read this. The question is the title already!

• It will be top tier. Just as good as the best dedicated FPS out there.

Votes: 18 2.0%
  • Not quite as good as the best dedicated shooters. But it will have a great gunplay.

Votes: 67 7.5%
  • Good and solid. Shooting will never feel boring.

Votes: 278 31.3%
  • Serviceable at the best of times. It won't be as good as you'd expect from a FPS.

Votes: 463 52.1%
  • Boring and uninteresting. A hurdle more than a feature.

Votes: 35 3.9%
  • Bad. Your guns will shoot bullets and that's the best thing I can say about the gunplay.

Votes: 27 3.0%

• Total voters

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will have the best gunplay we've seen in the immersive sim/FPS RPG genre. It will be better than the new Deus Ex games, Bioshock, Prey, Fallout, etc but it's not going to be better or on par with something like DOOM or Destiny.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If leveling affect gun handling in some way it won't be as good as a lot of fps. You gotta level up to "improve" shooting.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm alone it'll be cool, but the addition of cyber enhancements to your body is what's gonna really make it feel unique

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Some people compared it to Borderlands, which is more than okay for me especially in a game where shooting is secondary.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
True, but I believe this distinction is not as meaningful as it was in the past. I mentioned System Shock 2 and Prey for example, which are very similar games in many ways. But while System Shock 2's gunplay is as basic as it can be, Prey had a very good one, possibly better than just simply "good and solid". I could also mention the Mass Effect games. ME2 and ME3 are RPGs with TPS elements, and personally ME2 has my favorite take on third person shooting.

I believe, and it's just a belief, that regardless of how many elements you have in your game, you can have an absolute fantastic gunplay if you understand exactly how to achieve that. And my argument would be older FPS (like Quake 2) or new indie ones (like the already mentioned Dusk). If they can have great gunplay, any game can. You just have to know how to fit it in.
ME2 and 3 are TPS shooters with RPG elements.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That's an arbitrary distinction. ME2 and ME3 are very much RPGs, structured in a third person shooter framework. Just like Cyberpunk 2077 with be an RPG strcutured in a FPS one.
Stats and build choices play a much larger role in the gameplay sandbox of CBP2077. On top of that the roleplaying in Mass Effect 2 and 3 boils down paragon or renegade because the aim was to be as cinematic as possible even at the expense of the moment to moment roleplaying right down to the part where it's impossible to do anything in ME's combat encounters besides playing it like a TPS with super power moves.

NoSmallWave

Aug 17, 2020
When you guys are talking about "gunplay" do you mean "combat movement"? Because, imo, what makes games like DOOM2016/Eternal and Titanfall 2 feel so good is the movement. All of the CP2077 footage I've seen shows fun looking weapons and good hit reactions but the character is essentially stock still the whole time. If that's the case, then yeah it'll probably be kind of mediocre.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
From the looks of it the core gunplay seems quite competent with some key weaknesses that persist throughout, but the RPG layer seems to go at odds with it and will mostly make it worst (similar to TW3). In the end though I think it has potential to be a lot better with Mods and self-limiting (ie: Difficulty settings, avoiding some abusive perks or playstyles, ect...). Guaranteed people will whine about it and all the big post-launch patches will tweak things

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I expect it to be fine, like maybe borderlands tier, but people to whine about how terrible it is for the next decade anyway, comparing unfavorably it to dedicated FPS game whose whole design revolve around the gunplay. Like Destiny or Doom

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've seen tells me it's going to be great. Weapon customization, character customization and Cyberware will allow you to tailor the shooting to your preference.

I see double jumping, I see sliding, I see air dashes... I'm happy.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Stats and build choices play a much larger role in the gameplay sandbox of CBP2077. On top of that the roleplaying in Mass Effect 2 and 3 boils down paragon or renegade because the aim was to be as cinematic as possible even at the expense of the moment to moment roleplaying right down to the part where it's impossible to do anything in ME's combat encounters besides playing it like a TPS with super power moves.

It doesn't. You can make a case ME3 became to simplistic in its dialogue options, but not ME2. You generally had a full spectre of choices that allowed you to approach the situation in many ways, that you had a Paragon/Renegade meter doesn't influence that. And Mass Effect didn't offer the multitude of choices of a immersive sim, but its combat was much more than simply shooting enemies, the "super powers" offered a entire new avenue of gameplay that is not present in most shooters. And mind you, all CDPR games have the same aim of being as cinematic as possible.

Moreover, when the shooting starts, Cyberpunk will be the same "FPS with super powers". More importantly, we are comparing two games separated by 10 years. Even if you could make the point that ME2's gunplay is less constrained than Cyberpunk's, which I wouldn't agree, that technological gap more than makes up for it.

In short, if Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't have great gunplay, it's not the fault of any technical aspect or gameplay choice. Maybe not as good as dediacted FPS (even if I do believe it could) but anything below the second option in the poll comes down to vision alone.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Who's voting that this will be top tier? Have you played an FPS before?

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't see any environmental blood spatter so I won't be able to get too into it without feeling like I'm shooting blanks, therefore, I'm not holding my breath here, unfortunately. Even though it is my most anticipated game this year.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea this will probably be serviceable at best. Nothing I've seen combat-wise has impressed me. If they had more wall running ala Titanfall that could have done it but right now it looks very meh.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I've seen and CDPR's track record with action mechanics, I expect straight trash.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
it looked pretty janky from that gameplay demo we got, so im not expecting much, i just hope its not so fucking bad it brings down the rest of the game

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've said repeatedly it's an RPG not an FPS so I'm expecting Deus Ex type logic where you can miss point blank shots without leveling up pistol skill but by the end you can sharp shoot across the city with a pistol with it maxed out.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't. You can make a case ME3 became to simplistic in its dialogue options, but not ME2. You generally had a full spectre of choices that allowed you to approach the situation in many ways, that you had a Paragon/Renegade meter doesn't influence that.
The many ways boiled down to different ways to kill people instead of say, having viable non lethal or outright no kill builds.
And Mass Effect didn't offer the multitude of choices of a immersive sim, but its combat was much more than simply shooting enemies, the "super powers" offered a entire new avenue of gameplay that is not present in most shooters. And mind you, all CDPR games have the same aim of being as cinematic as possible.
Cyberpunk promise to be one hell of an immersive sim title though and we've seen ample evidence that they're succeeding on that front in spite of the aim to also be more cinematic than the average FP RPG.

Moreover, when the shooting starts, Cyberpunk will be the same "FPS with super powers". More importantly, we are comparing two games separated by 10 years. Even if you could make the point that ME2's gunplay is less constrained than Cyberpunk's, which I wouldn't agree, that technological gap more than makes up for it.
There are RPGs that came out around the same time as ME that are much more RPG than shooter though. So the time period it released in was not the issue at all.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
They've said repeatedly it's an RPG not an FPS so I'm expecting Deus Ex type logic where you can miss point blank shots without leveling up pistol skill but by the end you can sharp shoot across the city with a pistol with it maxed out.

I won't say that design is outdated, but that design is outdated. I don't expect it to be in Cyberpunk 2077 at all. I feel that talk of it being a RPG not a FPS to be pure marketing stuff, like the "no MTX" stuff. Clearly from the gameplay this is a game that wants to have the player engaged in firefights, and that's what matters.

I'm expecting it to be pretty damn good if they're planning a MP mode for it.

Well, there are people who say GTA5's gunplay is terrible, and it has a... successful shall we say, multiplayer mode. Personally I think GTA5 gunplay to be very good.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
if it's properly stats-driven,. as an RPG should be, then it'll feel on the level with the Deus Ex games.

And I'm totally fine with that.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
The many ways boiled down to different ways to kill people instead of say, having viable non lethal or outright no kill builds.

That doesn't affect the quality of gunplay. In both cases, you have more concerns to adress rather than simply making the guns feel good to shoot.

Cyberpunk promise to be one hell of an immersive sim title though and we've seen ample evidence that they're succeeding on that front in spite of the aim to also be more cinematic than the average FP RPG.

And Mass Effect premise was to be an hell of an RPG. Again, trivial argument when it comes to gunplay. At least to a certain level of quality. Again, I do think saying it can't be as good as the best to be a valid argument. Just not that it will be avarage because it also does other stuff.

There are RPGs that came out around the same time as ME that are much more RPG than shooter though. So the time period it released in was not the issue at all.

I don't follow. The qualification of x% RPG and y% shooter is very much close to arbitrary. Would you say ME1 is more of a RPG than ME2? It wasn't. It just had bad mechanics associated with traditional RPGs. Many RPG since then (and before) tried to frame their game in a more action oriented structure. Just look at Fallout 4 compared to Fallout 3. And this is what Cyberpunk 2077 is trying to do.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I mean, it looks fine. If you go in expecting DOOM quality gunplay, like a few somehow expect bayonetta quality action from witcher, then yes you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

I don't expect it to be nearly as bad as Elder scrolls open world combat or FO4. somewhere in between based on the vids we've seen.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't say that design is outdated, but that design is outdated. I don't expect it to be in Cyberpunk 2077 at all. I feel that talk of it being a RPG not a FPS to be pure marketing stuff, like the "no MTX" stuff. Clearly from the gameplay this is a game that wants to have the player engaged in firefights, and that's what matters.

I don't think its going to be that direct of a copy but I definitely except shades of the deus ex mechanics in there. You can still engage in firefights but the weapons/skills that you use in the firefights will depends on skills you level up with a sense of progression that encourages multiple play throughs. I highly doubt you'll be able to use every weapon/skill in one playthrough like DOOM.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think it'll handle as buttery smooth as something like COD or Titanfall or anything, it's such a massive game with so many intertwining systems that focus probably went to a lot of other things.

At the same time it's been in development for a long time and I think they've learned a lot from other shooters on the market and upped their combat game since TW3. I think it'll be fun to play and probably won't get boring.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
Probably the same as FO76, which is fine with me. A VATS style system or decent auto aim is all I'm looking for.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't affect the quality of gunplay. In both cases, you have more concerns to adress rather than simply making the guns feel good to shoot.
It absolutely does affect the quality of the gameplay. Because literally every scenario is centered around a shooting gallery and there are way less systems, stats, and approaches to consider.

And Mass Effect premise was to be an hell of an RPG. Again, trivial argument when it comes to gunplay. At least to a certain level of quality. Again, I do think saying it can't be as good as the best to be a valid argument. Just not that it will be avarage because it also does other stuff.
In any game with tons of systems sacrifices inherently have to be made in comparison to games with less systems.

I don't follow. The qualification of x% RPG and y% shooter is very much close to arbitrary. Would you say ME1 is more of a RPG than ME2? It wasn't. It just had bad mechanics associated with traditional RPGs. Many RPG since then (and before) tried to frame their game in a more action oriented structure. Just look at Fallout 4 compared to Fallout 3. And this is what Cyberpunk 2077 is trying to do.
ME1 absolutely is more of an RPG than the later two titles. If anything that's straight up the biggest criticism from fans of the first game was that there was less of an emphasis on the RPG. Many people also agree that FO4, strictly as an RPG, is a downgrade from past FO games, especially when it comes to the dialogue system.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I don't think its going to be that direct of a copy but I definitely except shades of the deus ex mechanics in there. You can still engage in firefights but the weapons/skills that you use in the firefights will depends on skills you level up with a sense of progression that encourages multiple play throughs. I highly doubt you'll be able to use every weapon/skill in one playthrough like DOOM.

I think you might be right. Although I expect it to be flexible rather than restrictive. More like ME3 than ME2 borrowing from my other discussion. What I fully don't expect is your aim to be a result of stats.

It absolutely does affect the quality of the gameplay. Because literally every scenario is centered around a shooting gallery and there are way less systems, stats, and approaches to consider.

Just like ME2 had to consider a lot of different powers and how they interact with the environments and enemies. And system and stats are analogues to "super powers". I mean, what stat in Cyberpunk 2077 will impede a good gunplay? What system would make it harder to make good combat? I think you have a point with the approach scenario, when you have enemies that need to react to much more than simply being shot at you can have limitations other shooters don't have. But you can still have superb gunplay in such context, as a game like No One Lives Forever 2 proves. Or more recently Prey, which doesn't have top tier shoting, but it's great.

In any game with tons of systems sacrifices inherently have to be made in comparison to games with less systems.

And you can still have great gunplay. Maybe not good as dedicated shooters? Possibly. But still great.

ME1 absolutely is more of an RPG than the later two titles. If anything that's straight up the biggest criticism from fans of the first game was that there was less of an emphasis on the RPG. Many people also agree that FO4, strictly as an RPG, is a downgrade from past FO games, especially when it comes to the dialogue system.

It's absolutely not. It just has superficial elements that are associate with traditional RPGs that can give the impression of it being that.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Combat feel certainly wasn't CDPR's strength with the Witcher games. From what we've seen, I think the gunplay will be acceptable and fun enough (better than Bethesda-tier). But certainly won't replace CoD or Destiny in that respect.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Any gunplay footage makes it easy to see it will be stiff as hell, but it won't be a dealbreaker

Apr 25, 2020
About the same from what I expected of Witcher 3's combat, which is not much, but as usual the combat gameplay isn't what I'm buying into when it comes to CDProjekt games. As long as it is solid I don't really care. I will be pursuing plenty of pacifist options anyway

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Expecting serviceable, hoping for solid.
From the videos, it looks pretty satisfying, but it could only be a handful of games, and/or bullet sponge enemies/huge HP bars could ruin it.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Didn't see any environmental blood spatter so I won't be able to get too into it without feeling like I'm shooting blanks, therefore, I'm not holding my breath here, unfortunately. Even though it is my most anticipated game this year.

It's visible in a few instances in the recent night city wire footage.

1h6ju7.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What do I expect? I feel like most of the time when First Person games aren't dedicated shooters the gunplay usually lags behind the standards set by proper FPS. So I'm expecting the gunplay to be passable. On the level of something like Eidos Montreal's Deus Ex games.

I do like the look of what we've seen though, so I'm hopeful that the combat will be surprisingly good.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe like the recent Deus Ex games but with improvements. Depends on how it ties into the progression and what not.