• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
My wishlist:

- A delightful experience with the controller: this is a given cause we are talking about Platinum games! Astral Chain was greeeat in this aspect.
- Great graphics: I played Bayonetta 2 on Switch and I was quite impressed.
- New cool hairstyle for the gurl.

B1.jpg

More news in 8 days or when? :P

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Bare minimum: un-fuck up the parts of the combat made worse in Bayonetta 2. Their mistakes don't exclusively hurt high level play, it's a worse combat system at low level play

WOULD LOVE
-Less homogenized weapons
-more of an emphasis on command moves and less on dials
-More switching options than just two loadouts.
-the parry not being an accessory anymore

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I'm expecting a more "Adventure" side to the game. Not open-world per se, but having some hub areas that'll lead to where you need to go for some missions.

They did say they are looking to do more for this sequel compared to Bayo1 to Bayo2.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I just want an answer to DMC5. Bayo 1 always felt like a response to DMC4. I'll settle for just a Bayonetta game as long as it is more like 1 and less like 2, make the combat good again.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot this game was in the works. Any indication that we'll be getting new info soon? IIRC, the only thing we have is the announcement trailer from nearly two years ago?

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Dang all the responses here it sounds like bayo 2 sucked. I haven't played any but I'm curious, was it really that much of a step down?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just an awful, awful story that I'll end up skipping through after the first couple hours...and one of the most fun, imaginative gameplay experiences. So, more Bayonetta basically.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
A continuation of what Bayonetta 2 did so well. Breakneck pacing, huge variety in colour palette, monster design and combat encounters and more of the queen herself.

The original game was excellent but combat discussion aside, the sequel improved on almost everything.

Dang all the responses here it sounds like bayo 2 sucked. I haven't played any but I'm curious, was it really that much of a step down?

It's widely considered a better game, don't let the naysayers tell you otherwise. There's a discussion to be had of course, but Bayonetta 2 is sat at a 92 on MC. It's not crap.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's really good but overall the hardcore don't find the combat as satisfying as Bayo1 despite the rest of Bayo2 being a better game that cut the fat of the original.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Do not transform it into an RPG or an open world.

Please.

(And more Bayonetta 2 and less Bayonetta 1)

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's really good but overall the hardcore don't find the combat as satisfying as Bayo1 despite the rest of Bayo2 being a better game that cut the fat of the original.

It cut out a chunk of the meat too. BeaconofTruth's comment is right; the changes to witch time and the new umbran climax mechanic are straight up negative changes that make the game less interesting even on your first playthrough.

Bayonetta 2's higher review scores aren't really because it's a better game but because it's easier, de-emphasizes the gimmick sections (this is actually a positive change but not one that makes it a better game on its own), and because the first game's best elements don't become clear until you replay the game - even, I stress, if you're an average player uninterested in combo video-making - while the second game puts everything it has up-front and doesn't really grow beyond that. (I do think the second game is still overall great, though, but it's not on the level of the first.)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It would be pointless to ask that the combat be anything like dmc cause it's not what this game is about.

But I would really like to see B3 top MGR's roster of bosses, which are the most perfect bosses in a character action game imo.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lady Gaga as an Umbra Witch that occasionally works at clubs in disguise as a night singer.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
For some reason I'm expecting a more "Adventure" side to the game. Not open-world per se, but having some hub areas that'll lead to where you need to go for some missions.

They did say they are looking to do more for this sequel compared to Bayo1 to Bayo2.
Yeah, I expect something along those lines. They definitely seemed to be ambitious with this one.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Bayonetta 2 fat cutting
-riding on a demon horse
-a jet shooting level
-fighting underwater with a restricted kit
-fighting in the air with a restricted kit
-a mech that is just really shallow melee combat

Other than not having the universally terrible insta death QTEs (which for anyone replaying, is hardly a deal breaker since you know it's coming), Bayonetta 2 has just as much in terms of lousy gimmicks. Bayonetta 2 simply is easier on 2nd climax, gimmick stuff included.

This notion that Bayonetta 2 doesn't keep a lot of the lesser segments of Bayonetta 1 is a faulty one, at best they aren't as hard out the gate, but they get annoying as shit when you are going for a Platinum run on higher difficulties.

it's also a weird thing to focus on when the bike n after burner segment are 5-10 minute segments versus the meat of the game which is a whole lot of fighting dudes, which Bayonetta 1 does substantially better from player kit, to a more clear scoring system, to enemies that can be launched without witch time or umbran climax, to bosses that can be styled on because they don't just stop your combo, to actually losing magic meter for taking a hit, to enemy weapons actually doing damage (ergo an actual reward for bothering to do a torture attacks), the list goes on of stuff you don't even need to be someone who replays these games to be that invested in the changes, much less someone who is going to be making combo vids n shit.

This stuff amounts to a less interesting battle system when you're learning as well. The depth part is a one sided affair between the two games.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
As a casual player, I prefer Bayo 2.
Most critics also seemed to think that 2 is better.
From what I understand, Bayo 1's combat system is way deeper and less infuriating at higher level play.

But both are epic as fuck. Bayo 2 kinda feels like each boss is the final boss (a lot of people then were disappointed by the actual final boss but I loved it)
Bayo 1's final boss is some Gurren Lagann finale type of epic climax. Some crazy epic cosmic shit.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's an incredible game. One of the best paced games I've ever played too. It's one amazing moment after another.
Bayo 1 is a deeper game though and more rewarding if you really want to go deep with its mechanics. But I greatly prefer the sequel.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I'm one of the minority on this forum that apparently likes Bayo 2 way more than Bayo 1, but I do hope that Bayo 3 adjusts some things from Bayo 2 to make them more palatable overall. The big one for me is adjusting the offensive/defensive behaviors of enemies in relation to Witch Time, because some enemy types don't attack/counter you often enough to allow you to have enough Witch Time opportunities despite not really letting you attack them outside of it. Umbran Climax is also another one that could use adjustment/retooling, but I don't find that nearly as offensive as some other people apparently do.

Otherwise, I would like for them to stick with Bayo 2's general direction of cutting the fat, both in terms of level design and gimmicky sections, while still producing a great character action game. Whatever else they do is icing on the cake for me.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
-Less weapon clones
-Fix the Umbran climax/devil trigger mechanic since it was awfully implemented
-Reduce enemy armor, like DMC5, have majority of enemies combo-able
-NO GIMMICK (or at least make it skippable on repeat playthroughs)
-Fix/Add more humanized bosses (Baldur in 2 was garbage compared to Jeanne from 1)
-Balanced difficulty more akin to bayo 1
-Bring back mechanics from bayo 1 since bayo 2 was just inaccessible to both casual and expert level plays
-Revamp the co-op feature in bayo 2 to be more campaign inclusive
-Keep the story interesting past the second half
-Keep the QoL changes such as outfits, secret bosses etc...
-Also please have Bayo wipe the floor and whoop some demon a**, maybe not in the beginning to set up stakes, but she was rather poorly used in bayo 2 storywise
-Move the story past the time loop

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
it's weird how Bayonetta 1 has two bayonettas and bayonetta 2 has only 1 bayonetta

as recompense i demand 3 whole bayonettas in 3

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Bayo 2 is a fantastic game, easily GOTY 2014. If you're only going to play through the game once, Bayo 2 is easily the more enjoyable, more polished experience; you'll have an excellent time with it start to finish.

The difference between the two games is that Bayo 1, while it can be rough, unpolished and flat out irritating on a first playthrough, the deeper you get into it the better it becomes. The combat system is sublime and only gets better on higher difficulties. Bayo 2, on the other hand, polishes away a lot of the first game's flaws but also makes a handful of small changes to combat mechanics that add up to... just a worse combat system overall. Not something you'll notice on a casual playthrough, but if you get deep into it the more noticeable it becomes, particularly once you reach the highest difficulty and it just becomes a chore.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
With the amount of development time they're giving it, I expect the combat to be more fully thought out than Bayo2.

Basically, they can take as long as they want, but I expect it to be good in the end!

On my wishlist is a good story with better new characters than Bayo2 and the a less serious tone (a la Bayo1). The initial teaser they put out isn't exactly inspiring in that regard...but again, with the amount of time that has passed since the teaser, anything is possible.

Last edited:

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Bayo 2 was almost mind numbingly easy on normal. Lean a bit more towards 1's difficulty. It doesn't need to be as hard. Other than that, improve the graphics. Bayo 2 looked great on Switch but the Switch is more capable than the Wii U so a game built from the ground up should look better.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Bare minimum: un-fuck up the parts of the combat made worse in Bayonetta 2. Their mistakes don't exclusively hurt high level play, it's a worse combat system at low level play

WOULD LOVE
-Less homogenized weapons
-more of an emphasis on command moves and less on dials
-More switching options than just two loadouts.
-the parry not being an accessory anymore
Definitely all of this. The combat system is my main concern.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 1: Fighting angels
Bayonetta 2: Fighting demons
Bayonetta 3: Fighting aliens, probably.