• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hello all,
It's me again, I find myself more and more lately having darker days. I do have sucidal thoughts but I don't ever plan to do anything so don't worry. But as life goes on you realize people in your life come and go like my ex, who I used to talk to about all my stuff. My mom is always negative and there's some deep things I can't tell her or i'll fuck her up worse. And my brother who last time got his wife on the phone on a personal call to tell me advice and then her and my brother hung up. My dad's not really in the picture, rocky relationship.

Anyways, what do you do when you feel alone, just having these deep thoughts but not sure if theres a productive way of getting by this.
Thanks for any advice!

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PM coolestspot!

EDIT:

Oh this is real shit. I don't know, to be honest, it differs to person to person. Some have an outlet to talk, some process it through other ways. Is that your whole group of friends or do you have others you've tried discussing deeper stuff with?

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Make some friends. There are all kinds of outlets and groups you can join to find people with common interest. Also, a therapist would probably help if its an option.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You are the dude who ended a difficult relationship no?

IF you don't have anyone in your social circle to talk to, there is always support groups that you can use in order to talk. There are support groups that are all about getting over difficult relationships, you can use those to talk, know new people and also make friends.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'd look into a therapist or consuler if you don't have Anyone immediate to talk to

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
This might sound flippant, but it's meant sincerely. Posting on forums is one of the ways I dealt with this when I was younger and more alone. Even if no one responds, I found it helpful just typing out my thoughts.

But the end goal should be to find a group of people who can form your support system. It's not healthy to just have one person you can talk to. For starters, as you've learned, if that person is no longer part of your life, you are left alone. Another reason is to make sure you are not expecting just one person to provide you with all the emotional support you need.

It sounds like you are willing to reach out to multiple family members so the latter point might not be an issue. I'm sorry that they are not receptive or able to provide you with support. I'll echo other posters and suggest making friends. It's hard to do at the best of times, and probably incredibly difficult during a pandemic depending on where you are, but it's worth putting the effort into.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
You are the dude who ended a difficult relationship no?

IF you don't have anyone in your social circle to talk to, there is always support groups that you can use in order to talk. There are support groups that are all about getting over difficult relationships, you can use those to talk, know new people and also make friends.
Yeah thats me, it happened a month ago. And i some what do but I find they arent quite helpful. I went a camping trip with some of them last week and found whenever id talk about my issues they just kept telling me i need to do stuff to improve myself for women, and i just kept saying im doing things for myself like walks, eat healthier but they kept pushing me to read some nice guy book and i need to do something thats more meaningful. It was just an odd trip.
And do you know any websites like that for groups?

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Do you happen to be vitamin B12 deficient? Might lighten some of the dark days if you are and need to take supplements.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah thats me, it happened a month ago. And i some what do but I find they are quite helpful. I went a camping trip with some of them last week and found whenever id talk about my issues they just kept telling me i need to do stuff to improve myself for women, and i just kept saying im doing things for myself like walks, eat healthier but they kept pushing me to read some nice guy book and i need to do something thats more meaningful. It was just an odd trip.
And do you know any websites like that for groups?

Maybe that bad experience you had in this camping trip means that they were not the correct group or just not the one you needed right now. So you need to keep trying to connect with a community that understands you completely.

I read a study about a year ago saying that loneliness is killing more people than obesity and i believe it, this means you are literally not alone in how you feel, there are lots of people out there feeling the same as you are, and that, same as you, they are craving to have someone who listens to them, you just need to find them.

I do not know any groups right now, but a quick google search took me to this page. Maybe you can take a look and get some ideas on how to take the next step, you just need to take it:

www.healthline.com

How to Deal with Loneliness: Support and Resources

Whether you're a teen or senior, immigrant or veteran, loneliness affects everyone differently. Here's what you should know and how to get support.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Do you happen to have a pet? I have a dog named Luna and she's my angel. She's kinda like a german shorthair pointer, but with a bit of lab in her and she's my best friend. Sometimes she's there for me when no one else can be. So I'd say pets, because they have personally been one of my most cherished experiences in my life.

If you don't think you're in a good place for a pet, then I mimmic the smarter people above me recommending a therapist.
Hope you have a good night internet stranger.

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I make posts on forums (not so much this one) about things either in detail or lightly. Like the OP I have few people to really deep dive with and I've been needing it lately. Sometimes I stream and can vent a bit with chat. writing it out can help too ala journal style. But usually I try to parse my thoughts on others through writing, like I said on message boards. Getting comments/advice/suggestions from anonymous strangers thousands of miles away is weirdly helpful sometimes and can help me vent a bit more if I can find someone IRL.

It all kinda helps.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope your able to find a support network, and hope your better days are ahead of you.

As for how i handle things... Hmmm, i don't want to post that in this thread. I don't think it would be appropriate

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's super tough, whether you've got no one in your life to talk to, or you have people to talk to but you can't for certain reasons, like you don't want to burden them when they have their own darkness happening. I think that's something that's relatable to so many people, myself included. It's true that you have era and its communities to vent to when you need to, but you should also foster the relationships you have in the proximal world. Even if you can't describe what you're going through for various reasons, it's still worth it to reach out and just have that human connection even if it's about the mundane daily stuff. That sort of thing is invaluable, just to have and maintain those human connections.

I've never been myself but therapy could likely help you out a lot. I have a friend whose life was radically altered for the better via therapy.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
A lot of places have "warm" lines or similar non-crisis lines for mental health. If your area has one of these, use it. Those people will talk to you about whatever you want. They want to keep you out of crisis. I have found them to be an excellent resource for these sorts of thoughts.

It's hard to make friends right now in real life, but if you have acquaintances, consider allowing yourself to be more vulnerable with them. There is a good rule of thumb - for every 3 positive/easy encounters with a friend, that friendship can sustain one more difficult conversation about tough feelings like this. Allowing yourself to open up to people can bring them closer to you, too.

There is also counseling. I'm very happy with my current setup with a psychologist on zoom. It can take awhile to find the right person but it's worth the effort.

There is always online people, that is nothing to sneeze at, but having people in your life who know you more intimately is good. Don't feel like you have to fall back on your toxic parent or brother because there is no one else. Made that mistake myself. There are other people. It might take time, but start planting seeds where you can.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Most things my mother, brother or the therapist. Some things I can't though so I find places online. I vent a lot here but with how things have been lately that might not last much longer.

Oct 27, 2017
I have some really close friends, but I don't tell them everything. I probably share more about my true feelings/life on forums than actual IRL people. There is something really comforting about being able to (somewhat) anonymously share my ideas with strangers on the internet. I feel like my IRL friends wouldn't care as much, or be interested, in what I REALLY have to say.

Likewise, they would probably think it's awkward or weird if I talked to them about certain topics. IMO forums are a great place to talk about your life/feelings/thoughts/emotions (if you feel comfortable doing so. I know MANY people don't like putting themselves "out there" and that is totally cool and understandable)

I've never tried therapy or anything of that sort, but it may be a nice way to get your emotions/thoughts in balance by speaking to a objective professional. There have been moments in my life where I felt like there was NOBODY (not even my forum friends) to discuss what I was going through. I usually just read books, listen to music and watch movies/shows that I like to help inspire and calm me down. Sort of like finding something productive, healthy and beneficial to distract myself from the existential crisis of life.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Therapy. The problem with talking about Heavy Shit with your friends is that you might bum them out, then you might feel guilty about it then it just makes your shit worse, especially if you're the kind of person to feel responsible for things you do to your friends. A therapist is someone you pay to dump heavy shit on without the guilt of dumping shit on a loved one.

Therapists are professional shit receptacles and are trained to handle your shit. It's a callous way of looking at it but that's just how it works out.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Do you happen to have a pet? I have a dog named Luna and she's my angel. She's kinda like a german shorthair pointer, but with a bit of lab in her and she's my best friend. Sometimes she's there for me when no one else can be. So I'd say pets, because they have personally been one of my most cherished experiences in my life.

If you don't think you're in a good place for a pet, then I mimmic the smarter people above me recommending a therapist.
Hope you have a good night internet stranger.
I wish, i live with grandparents and dont want one. I love dogs but cant get one sadly

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Like many here have suggested please invest in some good therapy. Perhaps discuss with the therapist on how you could open up and make friends irl.

Meanwhile you can talk here but it will probably not seem very personal in the long run.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Echoing therapy. I went to a behavioral therapist during some relationship problems and felt I had no one to talk to. It was great. Basically just talked about my problems and how I felt, just saying how I felt to someone was very therapeutic.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Therapy. The problem with talking about Heavy Shit with your friends is that you might bum them out, then you might feel guilty about it then it just makes your shit worse, especially if you're the kind of person to feel responsible for things you do to your friends. A therapist is someone you pay to dump heavy shit on without the guilt of dumping shit on a loved one.

Therapists are professional shit receptacles and are trained to handle your shit. It's a callous way of looking at it but that's just how it works out.

Yes. Therapy. Not only are quite a lot of people not that good at dealing with other peoples problems (as I've experienced multiple times, and illustrated by OP's story about the camping trip). Which is not necessarily their fault, since they just don't know how. But it can still hurt and be frustrating.

But people can also be concerned how opening up to them might influence the relationship.

But a good, even decent, therapist knows how to deal with your shit. And you don't have to worry about how it effects already existing relationships. And he/she is there solely for you.

I've read your threads Peter Quill, and it seems you came out of a really difficult, and IMHO not completely healthy relationship (how you described your exes behavior). Dealing with that can be difficult on your own. So yeah, finding a therapist could be a lot of help :)

Last edited:

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
reach out to a therapist, but also try to find groups that like the things you like. I went back to playing D&D late last year after a hiatus of 20 years, found a shop in my city where they held monthly events, I reserved a spot on a table, went there and just did it. Now I have alot of new friends who play regularly. Starting with things you like or are interested in and finding those groups goes a long way in building lasting friendships.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Okay,
I'll tell a bit and if anyone wants to message me feel free.
I'm struggling with being a 23 year old where I feel I have control of my life. Almost two years ago, my dad had an affair, this led me and mom to leave the house we live in and since then have lived here. I don't speak to my dad much, he wasn't a great father growing up, favored my brother and never really took an initiative into me. There's so much to this relationship that it would take quite awhile to write about it. He always tell me he's there for me and calls me son now, where before this he never did. My brother talks to him once a week, i text but pretty inconsistent. My brother, friends everybody says I should have a relationship with him or he's changed but i'm not ready. They keep stating if something was to happen i'd regret it forever. This makes me even more conflicted, today's his birthday I wished him a happy birthday he asked to come over tomorrow but the rest of his side of the family is coming. I don't want to go simply because that side of the family causes a lot of trouble, when my brother was getting married they told my brother he was a disgrace and said some horrible things, my dad said he would never forgive them for the things he said about his kids but yet he spends a lot of time with them. Maybe it's because he lonely or not but he did put himself in this situation.
His girlfriend or whatever we call her, has been around for awhile not a hundred percent sure how long precisely because he lied about it for so long and kept changing if they were still seeing each other after my mom is separated. It's hard not to keep thinking of the past because I don't have much going on in my life now. Maybe I resent him because he came out of this with a new girlfriend, the house, reconnecting with family (he didn't talk to his side much before this) and i'm here taking care of my mom and my grandparents. My mom is better she struggled for a long time and honestly think she's doing better then I am now. My grandfather is dying of cancer and it's scary to see him get worse but also not knowing where i'll be living in several years. I just feel like the little family I'm connected to is slowly dying and it scares me. Do I embrace this family that hasn't been there for me in the past just the sake to say I have family. Last week, during a casual conversation I found out that my grandfather had an affair on my grandmother while my grandfather was in the room to listen. He became quiet for the rest of the night and my mom didn't know why. I had kept this a secret and eventually told her and she had a gut feeling it happened when she was young. Now i'm also conflicted, my grandfather has been there for me but he also fucked up hard, so it right to be okay with my grandfather and not my dad? I don't know.
I also think about my ex a lot, I know it was a toxic relationship but I did vent to her a lot, but she knew me the best. I miss that, maybe it's because she knew what to say to me but sometimes my friends words don't make my feelings better or I feel like if I share my consist thoughts they become numb to it. I feel like I have to talk about my feelings a lot and it's hard too when you feel like you're stuck. There suggestions, get a place of your own. I would love it but how do I afford it and still pay for university. My next step I think is to get a car at least have some freedom. I just feel lost in life and I know people care about me but it's just a reality that if something was to happen I would be forgotten like that because I haven't really lived a productive life. I know being 23 is so young but I just feel like stuck in limbo till this unknown event occurs where it could be much worse. It's feeling like you are always gasping for air and the only time I breath is when i'm either in the bathroom or out walking on my own.
I wish I could say I have a room to myself but I don't it''s just the downstairs of my grandparents basement, maybe my hatred or anger for my dad occurs because of what I wake up to everyday. A simple reminder that his life is moving forward but mine is not. Meaningless words of him saying i'm here for you or if you need anything let me know as if I need to put that effort into everything. He 100% knows where I live and you think he would ask if i need a dresser or somewhere to put clothes but instead he just spend huge bills on his girlfriend or whatever they are. She's married and has two kids but says her and her husband are separating but they live in the same house still. I've asked my dad what they are and his answer is always the same she's someone special son. I know for a fact her and her husband still take photos and do adventures together due to social media so I have no idea what their relationship is. I know it's none of my business but he keeps asking if I want to meet her. I really don't, and frankly I don't enjoy seeing him but like I stated before people say you have to understand it from his point of view, of how he must be lonely and losing both of his sons, etc. Maybe he should of just separated without cheating but it's done and can't dwell on it.
My brother lives two hours away, I tried to have a conversation on how to get better and this led to his wife coming on the phone and suggesting it's good to get out of my grandparents house and maybe go to the house to see my dad or stay over when he's not there. She kept pressuring and I said no and it doesn't make me feel good, she started swearing and saying she was just trying to help and i'm being overly negatively and i'm not thinking positively. My brother took over the phone and said night. I think about this night also all the time, it's the feeling where you don't feel like you have many people to talk too without being pressured or judged.

Maybe seeing my dad is a good thing, I have no idea. I just know this whole divorce has fucked me up hard. I keep thinking my ex is probably relieved at this point because she doesn't have to keep hearing about my issues on a daily. I know happiness is just a feeling that comes and goes but it's not as frequent as it was before, even hanging out with friends it starts to sink in this isn't permanent and i'll have to be faced with my thoughts on all this issues later that day. Sorry for how long this post is.

Right now, I'm off of work and work full-time at a school, it pays 24 an hour but it has a lot of drawbacks and also doing university part-time, if I didn't have university course content i'd probably lose my mind on what to do. Since breaking up i've been on some dating apps just to have causal conversations but so far no luck, hearing my friends talk to girls frequently makes me think i'm not attractive, while my ex always said she thought i'm hot I keep thinking is that because I was her first boyfriend. I don't know. I just feel like i'm this shell of the person I was and I know you need to love yourself before someone else can but it's a challenge when you seem not to be attractive to majority of people on these apps.
The only thing that tends to bring me happiness is my walks I go for daily, it helps and I go for an hour but after that hour these feelings sink in again. It could be something I struggle with for awhile but I really wish some positive things would come out soon. These past two years have been exhausting.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Okay,
I'll tell a bit and if anyone wants to message me feel free.
I'm struggling with being a 23 year old where I feel I have control of my life. Almost two years ago, my dad had an affair, this led me and mom to leave the house we live in and since then have lived here. I don't speak to my dad much, he wasn't a great father growing up, favored my brother and never really took an initiative into me. There's so much to this relationship that it would take quite awhile to write about it. He always tell me he's there for me and calls me son now, where before this he never did. My brother talks to him once a week, i text but pretty inconsistent. My brother, friends everybody says I should have a relationship with him or he's changed but i'm not ready. They keep stating if something was to happen i'd regret it forever. This makes me even more conflicted, today's his birthday I wished him a happy birthday he asked to come over tomorrow but the rest of his side of the family is coming. I don't want to go simply because that side of the family causes a lot of trouble, when my brother was getting married they told my brother he was a disgrace and said some horrible things, my dad said he would never forgive them for the things he said about his kids but yet he spends a lot of time with them. Maybe it's because he lonely or not but he did put himself in this situation.
His girlfriend or whatever we call her, has been around for awhile not a hundred percent sure how long precisely because he lied about it for so long and kept changing if they were still seeing each other after my mom is separated. It's hard not to keep thinking of the past because I don't have much going on in my life now. Maybe I resent him because he came out of this with a new girlfriend, the house, reconnecting with family (he didn't talk to his side much before this) and i'm here taking care of my mom and my grandparents. My mom is better she struggled for a long time and honestly think she's doing better then I am now. My grandfather is dying of cancer and it's scary to see him get worse but also not knowing where i'll be living in several years. I just feel like the little family I'm connected to is slowly dying and it scares me. Do I embrace this family that hasn't been there for me in the past just the sake to say I have family. Last week, during a casual conversation I found out that my grandfather had an affair on my grandmother while my grandfather was in the room to listen. He became quiet for the rest of the night and my mom didn't know why. I had kept this a secret and eventually told her and she had a gut feeling it happened when she was young. Now i'm also conflicted, my grandfather has been there for me but he also fucked up hard, so it right to be okay with my grandfather and not my dad? I don't know.
I also think about my ex a lot, I know it was a toxic relationship but I did vent to her a lot, but she knew me the best. I miss that, maybe it's because she knew what to say to me but sometimes my friends words don't make my feelings better or I feel like if I share my consist thoughts they become numb to it. I feel like I have to talk about my feelings a lot and it's hard too when you feel like you're stuck. There suggestions, get a place of your own. I would love it but how do I afford it and still pay for university. My next step I think is to get a car at least have some freedom. I just feel lost in life and I know people care about me but it's just a reality that if something was to happen I would be forgotten like that because I haven't really lived a productive life. I know being 23 is so young but I just feel like stuck in limbo till this unknown event occurs where it could be much worse. It's feeling like you are always gasping for air and the only time I breath is when i'm either in the bathroom or out walking on my own.
I wish I could say I have a room to myself but I don't it''s just the downstairs of my grandparents basement, maybe my hatred or anger for my dad occurs because of what I wake up to everyday. A simple reminder that his life is moving forward but mine is not. Meaningless words of him saying i'm here for you or if you need anything let me know as if I need to put that effort into everything. He 100% knows where I live and you think he would ask if i need a dresser or somewhere to put clothes but instead he just spend huge bills on his girlfriend or whatever they are. She's married and has two kids but says her and her husband are separating but they live in the same house still. I've asked my dad what they are and his answer is always the same she's someone special son. I know for a fact her and her husband still take photos and do adventures together due to social media so I have no idea what their relationship is. I know it's none of my business but he keeps asking if I want to meet her. I really don't, and frankly I don't enjoy seeing him but like I stated before people say you have to understand it from his point of view, of how he must be lonely and losing both of his sons, etc. Maybe he should of just separated without cheating but it's done and can't dwell on it.
My brother lives two hours away, I tried to have a conversation on how to get better and this led to his wife coming on the phone and suggesting it's good to get out of my grandparents house and maybe go to the house to see my dad or stay over when he's not there. She kept pressuring and I said no and it doesn't make me feel good, she started swearing and saying she was just trying to help and i'm being overly negatively and i'm not thinking positively. My brother took over the phone and said night. I think about this night also all the time, it's the feeling where you don't feel like you have many people to talk too without being pressured or judged.

Maybe seeing my dad is a good thing, I have no idea. I just know this whole divorce has fucked me up hard. I keep thinking my ex is probably relieved at this point because she doesn't have to keep hearing about my issues on a daily. I know happiness is just a feeling that comes and goes but it's not as frequent as it was before, even hanging out with friends it starts to sink in this isn't permanent and i'll have to be faced with my thoughts on all this issues later that day. Sorry for how long this post is.

Right now, I'm off of work and work full-time at a school, it pays 24 an hour but it has a lot of drawbacks and also doing university part-time, if I didn't have university course content i'd probably lose my mind on what to do. Since breaking up i've been on some dating apps just to have causal conversations but so far no luck, hearing my friends talk to girls frequently makes me think i'm not attractive, while my ex always said she thought i'm hot I keep thinking is that because I was her first boyfriend. I don't know. I just feel like i'm this shell of the person I was and I know you need to love yourself before someone else can but it's a challenge when you seem not to be attractive to majority of people on these apps.
The only thing that tends to bring me happiness is my walks I go for daily, it helps and I go for an hour but after that hour these feelings sink in again. It could be something I struggle with for awhile but I really wish some positive things would come out soon. These past two years have been exhausting.

I read through this post twice and...I'm not really sure where to begin responding. There's a LOT to unpack. For instance; the stuff with your dad and family just saying you should give him a chance....If you have that much anger and hatred...I sincerely doubt that will work. There's probably a very good reason for that anger, and without that being looked first....just seeing your dad is not gonna happen. Even if he did in fact change, that hatred is still there. You can't just get over it.

As for your dating apps...I'm sorry to say but I don't know if that will get you what you're looking for. It seems obvious you really need someone to talk to, about a lot of very important and heavy stuff. I sincerely doubt you'll be able to find that on those apps.

I'm sorry, I started typing this, but I really, REALLY don't know how to continue. You this: " it's the feeling where you don't feel like you have many people to talk too without being pressured or judged." I understand you're looking for this, but as I've said before, most people don't know how to do this, and have their own shit to figure out and be busy with. Which sucks because you still need it. Sounds like you probably got it a bit from your ex but...that could've put a huge burden on the relationship. Making it very hard to last.

I'm afraid to repeat what I posted before, since it feels like I'm just passing the buck and taking the easy way out; but why not see a therapist? All the stuff you've typed out sounds like a lot to deal with on your own, and if you see a therapist you won't have to. They'll be there in an as reliable as possible way. How to deal with the anger and hatred towards your father? Not unheard of, and therapists will probably have the knowledge and time to deal with it. If you just want to talk without the feeling of pressure and judgment; sure, you can talk here as much a you want :) But a therapist is trained to do EXACTLY what you just described. Like, to a T. And they know how to do so better than a lot of people in here. And as you've experienced with you sister in law, people reacting in an insensible way can really fucking suck.

I don't know, seems like you have a LOT to talk about and through, and a professional would be of great help I think. Is there a reason that's not for you?

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I read through this post twice and...I'm not really sure where to begin responding. There's a LOT to unpack. For instance; the stuff with your dad and family just saying you should give him a chance....If you have that much anger and hatred...I sincerely doubt that will work. There's probably a very good reason for that anger, and without that being looked first....just seeing your dad is not gonna happen. Even if he did in fact change, that hatred is still there. You can't just get over it.

As for your dating apps...I'm sorry to say but I don't know if that will get you what you're looking for. It seems obvious you really need someone to talk to, about a lot of very important and heavy stuff. I sincerely doubt you'll be able to find that on those apps.

I'm sorry, I started typing this, but I really, REALLY don't know how to continue. You this: " it's the feeling where you don't feel like you have many people to talk too without being pressured or judged." I understand you're looking for this, but as I've said before, most people don't know how to do this, and have their own shit to figure out and be busy with. Which sucks because you still need it. Sounds like you probably got it a bit from your ex but...that could've put a huge burden on the relationship. Making it very hard to last.

I'm afraid to repeat what I posted before, since it feels like I'm just passing the buck and taking the easy way out; but why not see a therapist? All the stuff you've typed out sounds like a lot to deal with on your own, and if you see a therapist you won't have to. They'll be there in an as reliable as possible way. How to deal with the anger and hatred towards your father? Not unheard of, and therapists will probably have the knowledge and time to deal with it. If you just want to talk without the feeling of pressure and judgment; sure, you can talk here as much a you want :) But a therapist is trained to do EXACTLY what you just described. Like, to a T. And they know how to do so better than a lot of people in here. And as you've experienced with you sister in law, people reacting in an insensible way can really fucking suck.

I don't know, seems like you have a LOT to talk about and through, and a professional would be of great help I think. Is there a reason that's not for you?
Thanks for the advice, I have been seeing a therapist but here in Canada it's a long waiting period unless you want to pay huge bucks for a private one.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the advice, I have been seeing a therapist but here in Canada it's a long waiting period unless you want to pay huge bucks for a private one.

Sorry, I don't think I quite get you. Are you seeing a therapist right now (well, obviously not RIGHT now) or are you on a waiting list? And yeah, waiting lists are usually horrible here in the Netherlands to. Really frustrating.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I don't think I quite get you. Are you seeing a therapist right now (well, obviously not RIGHT now) or are you on a waiting list? And yeah, waiting lists are usually horrible here in the Netherlands to. Really frustrating.
Ive been going to a therapist for almost a year and a half but after an appointment you typically have to wait another 4-6 months till you get to see them again.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a lot to go through and I'm sorry to say I don't have the time to pick through all of it. I'll just mention that I notice a theme. The resentment you feel about your father mirrors the resentment he feels over his father. The reason you're struggling between condemning and forgiving him is the same reason he still forgives his side of the family despite their falling out; it is not easy to give up attachments to family and you always look for opportunities to forgive.

Last edited:

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been going to a therapist for almost a year and a half but after an appointment you typically have to wait another 4-6 months till you get to see them again.

Wait...what? You've only seen the therapist three times then? That's so weird. And also kind of pretty useless if you want someone to talk to. I used to see my therapist two times a week, only once now. I don't know what therapy is usually like in Canada (here there's all sorts of forms) but surely, more frequent than that should be possible? With another practice/therapist? Even without going for an expensive private one?