• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Hospital lab tech. I run the blood tests in chemistry. Sometimes I'll cover the other departments here and there but my focus is chem. Night shift in a Los Angeles hospital. I run the coronavirus PCR tests at night. I generally like my job. Night shift is pretty chill. Not as stressful as like a nurse who interact with patients but still feel like I'm integral to the healthcare process.

TheRyzzl

Oct 5, 2018
Main Job lifeguard which is actually not very exciting. However I'm also a volunteer firefighter/emt currently in the process of making that full time. I've done a few structure fires and car fires. Most of the work though is EMS related.

Wyvers

Banned
May 5, 2020
I teach English as a foreign language. I guess the most interesting thing about my job is living in Asia. The craziest thing about my job is I'm vastly in-over-my-head doing the work of a certified teacher when 6 months ago I was slinging drinks in a cocktail bar lol.

Oct 27, 2017
The most interesting thing about my job is how thrilled and excited I was to start and how much I hate what has now become one of the biggest disappointments of my adult life.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Controls engineer.

most exciting thing is seeing your pathetic poor excuse of a program written in ladder logic control giant fucking production plants. We may not be paid like those web devs or whatever the fuck they're called but it's fun seeing your shit in action. Also sucks really hard when physical installation failures mar otherwise good logic.

Indalecio

Oct 27, 2017

... I'm actually a software engineer. I mostly work on back end code that pushes XML around, so nothing too exciting.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I do IT Consulting for HR Software.

There's nothing interesting about the day-to-day nitty gritty of my actual job, but the thing that is interesting is that I work for a company that's run in a way that I wouldn't hesitate to describe as "borderline illegal". Their entire business model relies on constantly breaking NDAs so that different members of the company collaborate on work they're supposedly contracted out to do individually. In order to get first year workers clients they embellish resumes and make them look like people with several years of experience. They're also trying to start a "top secret" startup platform and regularly ask me, a 20something year old recent college grad with no experience running a business, for business advice. They bill clients for eight hours a day of work, but typically spend <4 hours a day per client, thus being able to manage multiple clients at once. Employees also get a fourth or so of the revenue they bring in from clients as their take home pay.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the people (about 180 people nation wide) who "experts" in veteran benefits disability claims come to with questions.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a Logistics Manager for truck drivers. It's fun interacting with the good guys of our 60+ fleet. probably 95% are great dudes from all over who have really interesting stories. I get them home and make them pretty good money. If an emergency comes up I have to move things around, the puzzle is constantly changing but it's always interesting.

A lot of them are really smart, and theirs a lot more regulations on the industry than you would think.

Achire

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a postdoc working on weird quantum states in materials. There are no career prospects in academia, but it's a fun ride while it lasts. My favorite part of the job is genuinely having no idea what will happen before doing an experiment. I get to use particle accelerators and nuclear reactors to find out.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Incident Response Consultant for a cyber security company.

Honestly a lot of it probably isn't interesting to most, but we are the people they call when shit's really hit the fan. We have had occasion to profile and attribute behaviour from nation-state level threat actors and publish that information publicly which is cool. In general though I like trying to help companies get back on their feet.

Tracing an attacker's steps through a network can be very cool as well.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I run a videogame developer and publisher. People seem to be most interested in that I get to travel overseas and around the world constantly, with usually 7-8 trips a year, and usually a new country every year or so. Last year I got to go to Israel and India for the first time. Right now, I'm not traveling anywhere though. Think its the longest I've been "stuck" at home in two decades.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work in supply chain for a government contractor. It's not very interesting, but the pay and benefits are sufficient.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Financial, IT and logistics consulting.

Most interesting thing i do is probably the traveling all over Europe and Asia.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a sales/solutions engineer for a SaaS company. I help customers evaluate our products and design solutions for them. I really enjoy and it and have a great set of accounts. Been all around the Silicon Valley and have worked and gone onsite at Facebook, 23andme, Uber, Lyft, Netflix, Apple, Bandai Namco, Zoom, and a bunch more. I enjoy it because I get to work with all these different clients so nothing is ever the same.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
i transport patients inside a big hospital complex, so big i sometimes have to drive a forklift type vehicle through long ass tunnels with a patient on board. because i suck at explaining here's an old pic of a co-worker driving our slowest #10 piece of shit car/truck/whatever:

sketch-1594114761528.png

(pls tell me what you actually call that in english, i can never come up with a word :D)

mostly these days i transport patients just by walking pushing beds and wheelchairs, but the days driving in the tunnels connecting 3 different hospitals is the most fun. i used to only do that for 2-3 years straight but nowadays its a bit different.

i like the job most of the time, my responsibility is only getting a patient safely from A to B, so i dont (usually) have to deal with bodily fluids or anything gross or really do anything else, so i dont have the stress nurses and doctors etc have, those folk have nerves of steel, no joke. so its mostly a very chill job, and i get to see absolutely everything that happens in a modern hospital, i go to the ICU, cancer wards, ER, imaging departments, different clinics etc etc. you learn so much stuff and see the wildest shit, the whole spectrum from incredibly funny/crazy to immensely sad, shocking or joyous. you never know what kind of work day is ahead of you, it's exciting in that sense. months ago when we started to get more and more suspected COVID patients was a bit too exciting though, i have to admit.. it was surreal entering our COVID unit for the first time, watching those sliding doors open and suddenly there's dozens of people of all ages on oxygen support, staff in full protective gear buzzing around, felt like i was inside a movie.. my hands shook when i had to put on the gear myself, it was scarier than anything else i've experienced here in the past 8 years i've been a transporter. i'm glad we got through it fairly easily compared to other countries, at least so far..

Nov 3, 2017
Historian / curator. I mainly design exibitions / do research on people being murdered. Often by the Nazis, but it differs. If you like to work with original sources and can stomach the pretty much worst things done by humanity, it is a really interesting job. You learn a LOT about who people are and what they are capable of (hint: anything).

Did you know that the Nazi program for murdering children was NOT organized by the same people who organized the murder of all the disabled people, bomb victims and slave workers? Lots to learn about history!

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Software dev. Most interesting thing is the coding i guess. I like it. Especially doing cool things. Also things get really really complicated when you're trying to implement multiple interests at once, like, your own because you want things to be good and easy down the line, designer solutions which need to be elegant and work without exposing the systems underneath, user experience which is a wild and strange thing, and most importantly accessibility concerns. It's crazy.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Illustrator.

Most of my work is informative / non-fiction so I end up acquiring vast amounts of weird trivia about various industries or specific histories. The most fun project was about UFOs, so I guess I'm a ufologist now.

illustrator-meme-238790434.jpg

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Web developer working on the customer portal for a testing laboratory company. It's a pretty ramshackle project and I'm the only one on the team who's been there since the start, so I get the fun of being the only one who can fix the issues that come up on a daily basis! Hunting down obscure bugs is the best part of the job, I like solving puzzles.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a vfx editor, i get to see things before they come out and occasionally see a director or producer maybe.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
im the welcoming face of a city and help people around, like a walking concierge

its awesome cause its just being nice to folks

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I am a high school teacher (mathematics and physics). It was my backup plan and I thought I would hate it. This fall I will start my twelfth year I think and I pretty much love everything about my job.

Great colleagues, great students and a decent amount of freedom. I am one of those teachers that like to work with helping students so I always try to enroll in the after-school programs (not sure if the this is the correct term in English, but it is a lesson after ordinary school where students can come to get help with maths or physics) when possible.

That moment when you explain something and the student finally gets it is probably my favorite part of the job.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Machine Vision Engineer.

I Identify aspects of a product or process that can be viewed by optics using various light or radio frequencies then work with a controls engineer to automate the process to improve quality, safety and efficiency.

Next to seeing a project wrap up and significantly increase yield (lower waste/reduce landfill), Lab testing is probably the most interesting. Having the opportunity to look at the outputs of various materials or layered components of a product with visible and non visible lighting is interesting.

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'm a doctor

I manage multiple PUI's and COVID patients on a regular basis. I sometimes get to do procedures that involve placing a specialized catheter in their neck so that they can get specialized treatments. Other times, I perform bedside biopsies where I use a long needle to obtain a tissue sample from an organ.

Literally everyday is a learning experience because the field of medicine in general is always changing with new treatments, research, clinical trials, etc.

It's a tough job and a long journey that involves many years of school and training, but at the end of the day, it's also incredibly gratifying.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Current title is Lead Developer, and the most interesting thing is that I get to spend roughly 40-60 days per year going to training/conferences, or learning new things and doing spikes for new tech. (And because I'm on the potential client side, I get free entertainment on every event from different consulting companies and such).

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Software (mostly full-stack web) developer.
Probably the most interesting aspect of the full-stack portion is UI/UX design or anything that involves some challenging back-end development. Boilerplate CRUD code gets old.
Aside from the web, I really do enjoy in-house framework/shared internal API development.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have been doing medical coding for almost 20 years now at the same hospital.

When you need to go to the hospital, the doctor sees you and then I read the report and turn everything the doctors diagnose and procedures they perform into a series of alphanumeric codes that then go of to billing for them to do their thing. I also do charging, which is semi rare for coders to do. Coding is the keyhole in which all money for a healthcare organization must pass.

It is fun because it is always interesting. I code everything from sprained ankles in the Emergency Department to vascular & neurological procedures. Even after almost 20 years on the job there is something new almost every single day. I am responsible for coding a particular part of the alphabet. It is interesting to follow a patients journey from something like a simple colonoscopy where they discover cancer, to a bowel resection, through chemotherapy and either remission or death. The same thing with amputations, would clinics, or any other number of health situations. Overall, the job is largely voyeuristic in a way, which is always interesting. Nothing will prepare a person for what is in the average psych chart. Nothing.

I work from home and I watch movies, TV shows, listen to music/podcasts and generally just work at my own pace (which is fast!). However, as the senior coder I am called into work every once in awhile to be present during major meetings that will involve my department or that could possibly impact the revenue cycle. I also train doctors and new coders. A new coder fresh off the street takes about 1-1.5 years to train. All of senior leadership knows who I am and they respect my opinions. It is a great career. I never run out of work and my days go amazingly fast. I kind of love my job.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Technology/media/telecom focused mergers & acquisitions investment banker, with some venture capital work on the side.

I help companies buy and sell other other companies. The most interesting thing I do is get wined and dined as me and my relatively small team hash out the details of market-moving, billion dollar corporate combination agreements with CEOs I imagine most people on this forum have heard of.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I run financials and logistics for healthcare construction. I get to meet a very wide swath of society in my job because I can be managing blue-collar guys in the field and coordinating between architects, engineers, owners, and end-users like doctors/nurses/vendors.

I've had to help build three separate COVID overflow facilities now, so that has been interesting too.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm a writer. I like to say "screenwriter" but the truth is that I basically do every type of writing that pays and my more creative pursuits like screenwriting are generally done independently and within a circle of creative friends. You won't see my name credited on any available films or shows, basically. Still hoping that changes, obviously, that's the dream.

I learned a long time ago that doing something gives you the right to claim the title, though. If you say you want to be a director, grab some friends and direct something. If only three people see it, fuck it, you did that! You're a director and nobody can take that from you, that's why I feel comfortable saying that I am a screenwriter.

As for the most "interesting" aspect of my work, it's always fun to explain to people that I can basically pick up a project, no matter what it is or who it's for, complete it, get paid, and move on. I don't need to be tied down to a single business, publication or studio, I can essentially pick and choose what I want to do on a freelance basis and make a sufficient living. The real beauty of it all is that writing will never go out of style. Everyone needs writers and they'll pay handsomely for timely, quality work. It's one of those careers that is essentially eternal, recession-proof and you get to dabble in so many different fields and markets, making connections, constantly learning and improving with every gig.

Writing has always been like a security blanket for me. I've poured my heart out into journals, crafted stories that mean the world to me, brought characters to life that have lived in my head for years and that's just what I get to do for fun. When we talk about work, I've done just about everything under the sun and I personally gain something from every last job. It's truly a blessing.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Freelance writer in content marketing.

Pretty boring on the whole but I've been doing it for 11 years and have created thousands and thousands of articles that are probably lost in the ether of the internet, never to be viewed again. Most interesting is probably crafting a press release or whitepaper for bigger companies but it's all just selling a brand really, meh. At least it pays though and work has actually increased since Covid.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I have been doing medical coding for almost 20 years now at the same hospital.

When you need to go to the hospital, the doctor sees you and then I read the report and turn everything the doctors diagnose and procedures they perform into a series of alphanumeric codes that then go of to billing for them to do their thing. I also do charging, which is semi rare for coders to do. Coding is the keyhole in which all money for a healthcare organization must pass.

Out of curiosity, how does one get into this? My wife lost her job from COVID, and medical coding was something that she was considering. Any specific training (I found some courses on Udemy), or did you just fall into it?

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Software (Full-Stack) Developer

I enjoy the challenging aspects we get sometimes in terms of UI/UX & the occasional "interesting" endpoints we have to create for our APIs.
We use Amazon so there's always new things to learn there.

Grateful to still have the job and not have gotten laid off or a cut salary as it pays pretty damn well.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Engineering Manager in Software Engineering. I have a love and hate relationship with this role, but every time I veer away from it, I do the role unofficially and don't get paid for it, so fuck it, I'm now doing it for realsies.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
y'all have some cool jobs. would love to have a beer with you guys and ask annoying questions about your career that you would have heard a billion times already.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
My main job is software developer, but I work at a small company so I do everything like managing the books, customer support, customer training, design circuit boards, product design and prototyping (3d printing), etc. The most interesting thing is that I get to travel sometimes.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, how does one get into this? My wife lost her job from COVID, and medical coding was something that she was considering. Any specific training (I found some courses on Udemy), or did you just fall into it?

I was already working in the hospital in another capacity. When the job was posted on our job board, I spoke with the Director of Medical Records who basically fell in love with me. She guided me through the process. First and foremost, for any job in coding you will have to take a test for the hospital to prove your knowledge. It is not really a pass or fail test, but more like "how does this person think". Prior to applying, aspiring coders can have anything from an RHIT (years of education) to something as simple as a CCA (a 2hr test with nothing else required). We have also hired people that have coding experience only, but have no certification. If they do well on our exam, we will shepherd them through the process of getting certified after we train them. You must know anatomy, basic physiology, and have knowledge of medical terminology & pharmacology. Advanced coding requires advanced physiology and a full understanding of an assortment of bloodwork and medical processes. All of that must be known in addition to the plethora of rules and guidelines of coding. There is a wide range of things to code in a hospital setting that can be done by someone just starting up to advanced coding that will require several years of experience before even being attempted.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I make beer.

It's hard to say what's interesting to others. People weirdly always seem to be most interested in clearing out the mash tun of spent grain for whatever reason. And then they ask if that's the hops. It's not. It's the grain.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I'm a compositor at an animation studio. We work on some extremely cool stuff, both present and future, and I'm excited to be where I am. Landed a job right out of school and working hard to save up money.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
I am the managing director of a large funeral directors association. it's turbulent times atm.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Software Engineer

I play god and create things from nothingness. All under deadlines and design documents. Also support. Also some dumb users. I don't generally interact with them but when I do oh boy. At least they are a grateful bunch.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm a lab technician in probably the most important metrology laboratory for gas meters in all Europe
Actually nothing exciting, at all. I'm good at it but It's dull, repetitive and i really want to quit it
My father owns the company, so i'm one of those sons who actually deserved nothing.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
naiUrMq.png

It works very well with Uni study, I get to meet fascinating people and it's rarely boring.