• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Start talking, then begin a relationship and get married of course! Wholesome story you weren't expecting from the BBC on a Sunday morning.

When Elle received a message on social media from a stranger offering to send her a picture of his "Gundam", she may not have known what she was going to see.

Report the post? Block the sender? No, she decided to take a chance, see his Gundam, and meet the man in question.

That first meeting took place in April 2016 and shortly afterwards Elle tweeted: "Today I met the Gundam guy in person by chance and I don't know, I might marry him."

The couple's mutual love of Gundam - several Japanese TV series about robots, plus the model kits and merchandise - was the start of their love story.

"I took a chance on him because John wasn't afraid to let me into his life, be himself, and share his hobbies and passions with me. He genuinely wanted to connect on levels so real, deep, and human."

Elle adds: "When we met, I knew instantly my search for a partner in life was over."

It's a nice story, and kind of subverting the "creeps sliding into your DMs with dick pix" trope that feeds much of our online culture.

Here's their wedding cake topper:
_108256870_eblpd1fwwae-d2d.jpg

I guess there's hope for everyone.

Happy wholesome hangover/still drunk Sunday.

Oct 27, 2017
That's how I met my fiancee, she sled in to my DMs in the middle of the night, luckily I was awake, she didn't offer to show her Gundam but we went for a "walk".

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
No one slides into my DMs. I'd love it to happen, just to have something that would be close to a social interaction, just for a moment. But it doesn't happen.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fake as hell. Anime fans can't have normal relationships.

/s obviously, but just in case.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very good looking too, both of them

Gundam fans are always sophisticated highly intelligent beautiful people. I don't know what people expected! Great for them :) Reading that they get married asap so she can get on his health care shows what a stupid country America is again though.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Guy took a one-in-a-billion shot and it worked, amazing.

Still wouldn't recommend it for 99.986% of dudes.

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Nice story, but geez she transitioned super smoothly into that GoFundMe on the back of the story.

Can't blame her though, she's doing it tough and finding some sort of hook to get your story out there is crucial.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Going to go ahead and ruin this by noting it's actually another "America is kind of cruel" story

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So please explain how making a generalizing comment over the assumption that women will accept certain types of behaviors from men solely because of their looks isn't a sexist remark.

Did I say it was because she is a woman? If the genders were reversed, I would say the same thing.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
It worked because they met randomly and he was attractive, lets not kid ourselves.

But that's how it works for everyone, is it not? You meet, and if you both find one another attractive, then stuff happens. I don't think she ever said she dated him for the Gundam move alone. That made him interesting and afterwards she found him attractive, end of story. That's how attraction works for everyone.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
A bunch of women on instagram are going to start noticing all the unsolicited messages in their DMs have taken a turn towards offering gundams, and they're going to have no idea why.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Okay the title fooled me and I wasn't expecting two huge fans of gundam getting together like that

Well played!!