• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Before we moved around April of last year, we didn't have access to hot water (had to use the stove for that) nor any sort of back-up electrical system (damn power outages were practically a part of my childhood, thank goodness we had our trusty ol' oil lamp lol).

I'm gonna add AC and bidets to the list, I've never actually seen a bidet and I keep seeing people who use them say using toilet paper is uncivilized, maybe one day...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
besides hobby stuff like games and movies and stuff, maybe quality, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
International travel I guess. Not sure how I made it to 33 without ever leaving the US. If Covid ever ends that is going to be the next thing I focus on.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Healthy food.

Not joking, I'm very well compensated by my employer but my grocery bill literally went from $200 to $400 a month now that my girlfriend started eating healthier and buying WAY more fruits and vegetables. It really opened my eyes to how out of reach quality nutrition is for people who don't have the money or the knowledge of what to buy. It was sobering to say the least, I seriously don't get how people who are less lucky than me afford this stuff.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Aesop products, specifically their body wash and exfoliant (their non shower face stuff I buy once a year and it lasts me about that long so I can justify the price of those).

This lasts me a couple months, ~$50 aud.

Aesop-Body-Citrus-Melange-Body-Cleanser-500mL-Large-888x1100px.png

Exfoliant about 3 months at ~$60 aud.
Aesop-Skin-Purifying-Facial-Exfoliant-Paste-75mL-large.png

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason RC cars came to my mind and looking at buying one and yeah it's a luxury item. That sht can get expensive real fast.

May 17, 2019
Books are an absolute necessity, so are movies,. Both are for the sake of culture and art. Gaming, with how expensive consoles and software are, now that's a luxury.

Culture and art are both absolutely luxuries and I say that as an English major. To have "refinement" requires time and money, both of which are in short supply for many people.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Food. We need it always. I personally know parents that don't eat properly or don't eat at all sometimes so their kids can have proper meals. It's disheartening how frequent this level of poverty still is in our society and very little is done to mitigate it. It's
not twitter-vogue too, so nobody really even fakes they give a fuck. And I know this first hand because when I ask for volunteers to help, i get cricket sounds.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity pools
Those fancy tubs where the water pours in like a waterfall
The shower floors where you don't know where the drain is

Basically like bath tubs and shit for me

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The first thing the word luxury brings to mind is ridiculously priced foodstuffs or products, like a single bite of chocolate for $50.

Oct 27, 2017
Healthy food.

Not joking, I'm very well compensated by my employer but my grocery bill literally went from $200 to $400 a month now that my girlfriend started eating healthier and buying WAY more fruits and vegetables. It really opened my eyes to how out of reach quality nutrition is for people who don't have the money or the knowledge of what to buy. It was sobering to say the least, I seriously don't get how people who are less lucky than me afford this stuff.
Where?
Most fruits and vegetables, especially if you're buying them when they're in season, are rather inexpensive. They mainly cost around $1-2 a pound with some exceptions. At least where I live.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Being able to present as yourself through life without facing abuse or prejudice. Also these cookies I'm munching on are pretty luxury tbh.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Healthy food.

Yeah, if you wanna buy organic, and ethical, and local, oof, it hurts. I'd call that a luxury too.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Healthy food.

Unless you're buying that crazy expensive organic/ethical shit, you should be saving money eating healthier. The issue with healthier food is that you gotta cook more often which takes time lots of people don't have.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Being assumed to be American, and not an immigrant.

In reality... uh, ionno, leisure time I guess.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
A lot of vacation-related stuff are things I see as the hallmark of luxury, like sort of a tier right above the level of (admittedly already extremely financially secure) luxury I grew up with. Things like having a vacation home in Tahoe, or being able to spend a Summer traveling France.

Also, if you have access to a public library, you pretty much have access to a lot of entertainment media already. Tons of free books, movies. Some libraries even carry albums and games. Libraries have computers that you can play F2P games on and no one will stop you. I've seen a homeless person playing an SNES emulator at a library once. Owning the latest and greatest media is definitely a luxury though, as are things like modern consoles and seeing movies at theaters.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
A good mental health treatment is so, so inaccessible it hurts. Especially if you need medication.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I think it varies by society and community. Anything most people go without and higher end versions of things that are common among those people.

I grew up in a very rural area and it was miles of hilly terrain just to buy crappy food at the little local shop. You absolutely need a car to function with the rest of society there. I knew many people who drove cars worth less than $1k. A 3-year-old used Honda would absolutely be a luxury. However, now I live in a city where you can get around anywhere by public transit and most needs can be met on foot. Any car is a luxury.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
After having grown up very poor, damn near everything. I think many people take for granted just how easy they have it. I treat almost everything like a luxury now. Even a fried bologna sandwich or a hot shower is a luxury now, remembering how some nights dinner was a mayonnaise sandwich for the family, or how we went without heat and hot water for weeks.

But, for the sake of argument now that I no longer live in poverty, gaming accessories. PS VR, that cool little cradle that charges your controllers, a cute cloth cover for your Switch dock from Etsy, etc. While many people struggle just to afford a used console that's two years old from GameStop, I am buying quality of life add-ons that collectively might cost more than a new game.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
the ability of not worrying about everything falling apart after a month or two of financial instability

or time

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Totally time. Time to just relax and watch tv, play a game, have a drink. And when I do get that time it goes by so fast it seems.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
AC is a luxury to me. I've never lived in a place that has it built in. I know it's more prevalent in other areas in the US tho.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anything that isn't essential for me to operate my daily life (work/food/housing/transportation)

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Having a down payment for a home, first class tickets, staying in the middle of downtown on a trip, cars 40k+, posh weddings

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After having grown up very poor, damn near everything. I think many people take for granted just how easy they have it. I treat almost everything like a luxury now. Even a fried bologna sandwich or a hot shower is a luxury now, remembering how some nights dinner was a mayonnaise sandwich for the family, or how we went without heat and hot water for weeks.

But, for the sake of argument now that I no longer live in poverty, gaming accessories. PS VR, that cool little cradle that charges your controllers, a cute cloth cover for your Switch dock from Etsy, etc. While many people struggle just to afford a used console that's two years old from GameStop, I am buying quality of life add-ons that collectively might cost more than a new game.
Yep. This is my life experience too. Growing up damn poor everything is a luxury to me. It took me a long long time to stop worrying about money and only recently have I actually been comfortable spending money on useless things.

Wifey and I live a comfortable life right now (we can afford to travel internationally twice a year) but I still have moments where I worry about bills and being on the streets.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aesop products, specifically their body wash and exfoliant (their non shower face stuff I buy once a year and it lasts me about that long so I can justify the price of those).

This lasts me a couple months, ~$50 aud.

Aesop-Body-Citrus-Melange-Body-Cleanser-500mL-Large-888x1100px.png

Exfoliant about 3 months at ~$60 aud.
Aesop-Skin-Purifying-Facial-Exfoliant-Paste-75mL-large.png

Aesop hand moisturizer is the best I have ever used but it is so insanely expensive at $40 CAD a tube.

Oct 27, 2017
Time is 100% the greatest luxury. Health would a strong #2

You can be rich and wealthy and have all the materialistic possessions (sports car, vacation home, private yacht, jewelry, etc). But if your work schedule is filled 24/7, and your hands are full with obligations (wife/kids/etc) you'll never have the TIME to enjoy any of it.

Time is everything. You can't even read books or watch Netflix in peace or do "basic" things that most of us take for granted when we have a lazy afternoon or weekend to burn.

Likewise, you can have all the time and money in the world, but if you're not healthy/fit/strong, you can't really enjoy it either. You can't travel the world or drive a car or even go shopping with your millions of dollars if your lungs, eyes, ears, legs, etc aren't working properly.

Philosophy aside, stuff we take for granted like smartphones, tablets, AAA video games, movie theaters, etc ... are all major luxuries. Especially with COVID-19, doing "simple" stuff like visiting a Starbucks for an overpriced coffee is now seen as somewhat absurd.

Last edited: