• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's Mullholland Drive. I've searched for this topic when I was younger, and this was the answer that always came up. I read about it and knew everything that was gonna happen before I saw it the first time. I think it's the best because it works so well while not relying on anything you're used to (darkness, creepy environments, silence, etc). Even knowing about it because the movie tells you, and knowing because you've heard people talking about it, it still somehow works. I loved it.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif
Great success!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Always found the one in Twilight Zone the movie pretty interesting.

Had the perfect setup but the execution was just kind of goofy.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The Arbogast kill

in Psycho is scarier than the shower scene. Every time.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
mulholland-drive-diner-scene-1108x0-c-default.jpg

Mulholland Drive
It's this, it can only be Mulholland Drive.

Never in my life have I seen a better example of the "dream logic" in nightmares that can cause us to be utterly disturbed by something otherwise mundane in bright daylight. It also helps that the scene prior to it builds up the tension masterfully and the actual jumpscare is equal parts surreal and genuinely frightening.

It's unmatched IMO. Other films might imitate the buildup and frightening reveal but NONE capture the surreality of nightmares like this does.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
This classic from Cat People:

And add me to the chorus praising the Exorcist 3 hallway scene, it is a thing of beauty.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Either the Mulholland Drive one, or the one in The Last of Us Part II (SPOILERS -- don't ruin it for yourself if you plan to play this great game) at the gun crafting table.

TLoU2 is packed with top quality jump scares. It's a crazy good horror game, filled with surprises.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the cerberus jumping through the windows in the original Resident Evil and Jason jumping out of the lake at the end of the original Friday the 13th are the two that stick in my head.

As a kid, when they jumped through that window in that hallway in RE, I jumped and panicked so hard I turned the PlayStation off immediately, reflexively, and it took me a good while before I returned to the game.
Funny thing about that was that's a rip-off from the game it also completely ripped off, Alone In The Dark. That first room where the thing crashes through the window, definitely way freakier in RE though.

Dr. Rank

Oct 25, 2017
Lisa in PT. Also, not a real jumpscare, but seeing a man at the end of Portrait of a Lady on Fire was a shock.

This! I was doing my second playthough and still jumped but what really got me was i had to stop and save. I thought it was just scripted but it happened AGAIN when i loaded the game i threw my controller in disgust with myself for getting scarred again lol.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
One I'll always remember. My friends and I were playing Fatal Frame 1 as a group and it was my friend's turn to play. He opened a door, and the blinded ghost suddenly appears scaring the shit out of everyone, especially my friend. He actually called it in early and left the house because he couldn't handle the game anymore. The game really scared him, because he's superstitious and afraid of ghosts.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
This isn't exactly a series known for very artful jumpscares and I'm not going to say it's the best or anything, but this is always what comes to mind when someone mentions jumpscares. One of the most fun moments I've had in a theater, everyone collectively going "when/what's going to happen..."

Last edited:

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Not to be that guy but I'm rarely caught off guard or scared by a movie but 2 instances in the Conjuring made me fucking jump out of my seat.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

^^^ The only good thing about that movie, IMO.

Ah come on, Sinister's great! Plus there was another jump scare in it well worth posting. The sheer build up to it and actual execution is just fantastic. It's the one thing I remember most about the film and what I think of when I think of jump scares that aren't Molhunand Drive. (Feel free to ignore the rest of the video, just stop after the jump scare)

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Not a traditional jump scare but this one from The Strangers still got me

DiVkLPK.gif

I remember people in the cinema gasping at the trailer and during the movie.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The thing I appreciate about The Exorcist III's jump scare is that after the slow build up to that sudden jump scare there is this primal expectation of a "pay off" that I think because it cuts away so quickly it's like our brain fills in the gap. Almost like it's a feeling. I actually think if they went and snipped the nurse's neck in the scene it wouldn't have worked as well. It's counterintuitive.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's poor quality, but I remember this jump scare from The Conjuring pretty effective when I saw it in theaters. I think what makes it powerful is the reveal through what's just a fairly subtle tilt of the camera:

This one's great, too because it utilizes no cuts and never obscures the source of the scare - that ramp-up in speed is enough to elicit an "Oh, shit!"

This wardrobe scene sealed the deal for me in getting hooked on this series.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this one nearly gave me a heart attack, literally, it took an hour for my heart rate to go back to normal. After spending dozens of hours in these games exploring safely, you'e completely relaxed in those moments, and then this
And they do it again and it works again because there's about 10 hours of gameplay between the two occurences, you've taken down Man-bat and that time it's the Joker šŸ¤£