• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
What do you consider the best jump scare of them all? Is it from a movie? A TV show? A game? Is it from outside of the horror genre?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I remember there was this image people posted on forums of a living room scene or something, and they said to stare at it and after a few seconds, it would change and you were to post what differences you saw or something like that. Me, being young and new to the internet at the time, fell for this nonsense. Once the jumpscare popped up, I jumped halfway across the room in fright.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
mulholland-drive-diner-scene-1108x0-c-default.jpg

Mulholland Drive

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is an amazing question that I have not gotten much thought to. Probably the time where Pyramid Head shows up in the hospital in Silent Hill 2. Legit had to put the game down because I practically had a heart attack

...or the tent scene in The Blair Witch Project. I've seen that movie a dozen times and yet I have to brace myself every time because it scares the daylights out of me

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen, as someone who avoids stuff that is clearly meant to be scary, it's Arkham Knight when you first zip to a rooftop when you get to the second island I think and Man Bat jumps out. The game later doing that again with Joker made me drop it..

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Alien Isolation with headphones and I was in the medical ward where the alien is always close. It dawned on me that the lamp in my room had turned off and I was in complete darkness - and then something grabbed my ankle. My husband, who was lying on the floor, got kicked in the head.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Lisa in PT. Also, not a real jumpscare, but seeing a man at the end of Portrait of a Lady on Fire was a shock.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I was playing Alien Isolation with headphones and I was in the medical ward where the alien is always close. It dawned on me that the lamp in my room had turned off and I was in complete darkness - and then something grabbed my ankle. My husband, who was lying on the floor, got kicked in the head.
Amazing. I love your husband

Oct 27, 2017

Hahaha. That would have killed me.

OT: The Exorcist 3, hospital scene almost ended my life at a young age.

Shock (1977)

woman and son's house haunted by spirit of abusive husband/father

Shock.gif

Jesus, that gave me chills.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 in the other thread, I jumped at this one:

Also agree with Exorcist III, Jaws, and that one scene from Sinister.

^^^ The only good thing about that movie, IMO.

Shock (1977)

woman and son's house haunted by spirit of abusive husband/father

Shock.gif
Never saw this. I remember that one movie that came out recently had a similar shot that people were talking about. Guess THAT one wasn't even the first to do such a thing. This one should be the one people talk about!

Last edited:

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really watch much horror, so Mulholland Drive has the one that got me the most.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
tenor.gif

Alien by a whisker. Coming right at the end of the extended sequence in the air vents, the context of the situation, the lighting... it's just sublime, classy and slick.

A whisker behind it id put Mulholland Drive behind the diner jump scare: that mofo I'd plain evil and in broad daylight (but I expected it because I knew Lynch wouldn't literally explain what was about to happen then wouldn't do it).

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The beginning of The Grudge. You don't expect to see anything dramatic right away and boom there she is.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The Exorcist III's notorious one, for a expertly done long five minute or so buildup.