• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'd go with Kingdom Come Deliverance , lord knows it's full of jank , but it's still one of the most unique gaming experiences for me.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the definition of a "Eurojank" game? It's buggy and from Europe?
I would assume Stalker, which is one of the best games ever made, fits that mold? Probably?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I thought Elex was really solid when i played it earlier this year. Probably not the best though. Maybe Gothic or Stalker.

Hell, I'll back you up on Elex.

I also liked Outward (Canadajank?) and Greedfall too.

Edit: To elaborate more, I really like Elex for a lot of the same reasons that I like Fallout: New Vegas in terms of story and quest design. I like Outward for its unshamed leanings into survival-mechanics in making a difficult RPG (instead of doing something more combat-oriented like a Souls game). Greedfall for landing somewhat close to the Bioware rpg of ten years ago.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Yes to Stalker, Gothic, Risen, Witcher, KCD. I personally also liked Vampyr and Call of Cthulhu a lot. I think THE BEST is A Plague Tale: Innocence.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl is the king of Eurojank games, so buggy yet so so good. I also really liked Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason, and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Mount & blade, any of them, but we can go with bannerlords as it is extra janky at the moment!

MasterC12TF

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It's either Metro or Witcher3. For me they 'fail' in the gameplay department and are overall ugly though their bugs, but the artwork, story and lore more than make up for it. Metro but with the gameplay of Wolfenstein, or Witcher with Breath of the Wild would be a game of the generation for sure

Oct 31, 2017
I keep reading about it yet when I check some info and screenshots it just looks and sounds unappealing.

What makes it so compelling? I do want to pick it up on Steam finally.

Properly modded it's an extremely atmospheric semi-open world survival game, in which the AI moves about the world doing its own thing. The world is gloriously hostile - walking into an anomaly will kill you. Walking in to a high rad zone will kill you. Not spotting some bandits will kill you. A pack of wild dogs will kill you as you panickedly fumble shells into your high end auto shotgun because you forgot to reload earlier. It's not frustratingly difficult, but it maintiains a sense of threat right to the end, even as you rampage about the place in power armour armed with a fully automatic shotgun and scoped assault rifle. But more than anything, it's the glorious sense of post-Soviet decay and supernatural weirdness that the game positevly drips with that has kept me coming back to the series.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Kingdom Come. It's janky, but amazing. TW3 is too polished and highbudget to be eurojank.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Mount & Blade and E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy are both peak eurojank. E.Y.E specially was crazy.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
The Witcher 1 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The eurojank is strikingly similar between the two titles and I love both games immensely.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Gothic 2, if you value story more than exploration.
My man! (Although Gothic 2's story is garbage compared to Gothic 1). But Gothic 2 TNoR is god-tier eurojank. Closely followed by Risen 1 and Elex. World, exploration, rewarding (character) progression is ace in those games.

I love PB games (even the trash Risen 2 and Risen 3 games have something many open-world games can't get right today: rewarding and meaningful exploration).

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
+1 to ELEX.

Elex is the embodiment of eurojank. Piranha Bytes made 6 games before Elex, most of them using the exact same game formula with few tweaks.

Somehow, 16 years after Gothic 1, they make a scifi/post apoc/fantasy Breath of the Wild with jetpacks, and it still has the same janky feel of the games they made 16 years ago. I love it!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I keep reading about it yet when I check some info and screenshots it just looks and sounds unappealing.

What makes it so compelling? I do want to pick it up on Steam finally.

it was way ahead of its time. Semi open world (big maps), revolutionary AI but so bugged it often blocked progression (all ai had agenda and would wander around independant of player, making hilarious organic encounters as factions would drop and fight between themselves or bugs when important NPC would randomly disapear and die in a map corner or undermap.

It oozes atmosphere too as the setting was unique and very pretty for its time. The game offered a unique freedom of choices when dealing with missions for it was open ended level design and you could more or less play it like a RPG, betraying factions etc...

It also had very spooky levels (underground labs) akin to horror games with insane enemies that would really make you shit your pants when you encountered them in a dark rusty corridor only your flashlight as a light source.

It also had anomalies : paranormal phenomenoms generated by the high radiation exposures. Some were invisible but created hazard as you walk in : you had to throw bolts to find a safe passage through the reaction. Others were more flashy but most of them had the artefact in their heart you could loot and equip for powerful effects or sell for good cash.

Gun play was insane too : it was hard. Guns were shit lol you had a lot of choice of ammo for every situation like vs flesh or vs armor, it had dispertion model, ballistic model etc... It was frustration at first because guns were shit but when you master it and got good guns it was soooo good

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
+1 to ELEX.

Elex is the embodiment of eurojank. Piranha Bytes made 6 games before Elex, most of them using the exact same game formula with few tweaks.

Somehow, 16 years after Gothic 1, they make a scifi/post apoc/fantasy Breath of the Wild with jetpacks, and it still has the same janky feel of the games they made 16 years ago. I love it!
ELEX jetpacks are the best thing ever. Every video game needs jetpacks.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Eurojank is in a really interesting position nowadays, in that it's unique qualifier isn't the jank anymore (that's just most western games now) but instead it's the redeeming qualities. Eurojank is the missing AA games, the not-quite-indie but also not watered down and catering to the absolutely lowest common denominator, like most AAA does.

Also Gothic 2 is still the best, followed by ELEX.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
How do we define eurojank games?
Let's try this: (Primarily) roleplaying games produced by small European studios; creative direction of hard fantasy settings that are realized through complex systems (immersive sim) and allow player choice; gameplay mechanics and animations are serviceable at best due to a lack of specialized staffers and limited funds.

can we build on this?

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Plague Tale is not eurojank at all,
Witcher 1, Stalker, Gothic 2 initial releases, now that's some good quality classic eurojank

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
How do we define eurojank games?
Let's try this: (Primarily) roleplaying games produced by small European studios; creative direction of hard fantasy settings that are realized through complex systems (immersive sim) and allow player choice; gameplay mechanics and animations are serviceable at best due to a lack of specialized staffers and limited funds.

can we build on this?
Sounds fair. I don't think it needs to be a role-playing game although they usually end up that way. I typically see Eurojank as a genre of games characterized by ambition and technical shortcomings, often due to a lack of budget. You can also have non-European Eurojank, e.g. Alpha Protocol or Outward.

Metro 2033 and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series are good examples of first person Eurojank shooters I'd say. For role-playing games there are so many great games, from Divinity II (the action RPG) to Kingdom Come.