• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

I call those extra buttons:

• On PlayStation R1, R2, L1, and L2

• On Xbox: Right Bumper, Right Trigger, Left Bumper, Left Trigger

• On PlayStation: Right Bumper, Right Trigger, Left Bumper, Left Trigger

• On Xbox: R1, R2, L1 and L2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Does Nintendo even have an official name for L3 and R3?
Nope. They have specific icons for it though. Which in my experience trip up players who wasn't familiar or know about clickable analog sticks more often than not. I guess they really couldn't came up with the name suit for it, which I don't blame them (For me it's a bit dumb to call it L3/R3 due to the position)

Also to answer the OP, I just stick with what the controller said. And doesn't have problem confusing Nintendo layout.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The only weird thing I do is Xbox, I call the Left/Right Analog-Click, "L3/R3", because "Right Analog Click" is a mouthful for such simple thing.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I had some friends over the other day to play Cuphead. We were rotating 2 Xbox controllers and I couldn't help but notice that they used L1/L2 etc. when referring to the bumpers and triggers. Heck, even A/B/X/Y when out the windows in favor of triangle/circle/cross/square.

I'm used to Nintendo's placement of A/B/X/Y myself, so it was all a clusterfuck of button mismatch in our brains.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Bumpers and Triggers, because that's what they are. What the fuck is an L1? What the fuck is an R3? It makes sense the name the face buttons by the symbols on them because they're clearly visible, which can't be said for the shoulder buttons.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I call them R1/L1/R2/L2 on PS systems, RB/LB/RT/LT on Xbox and RLZRZL Switch. I didn't use Xbox before November so it's not some longstanding thing, just... Makes sense to call them what the system does, I think they are generically called bumper/trigger when in that 2digital 2analogue setup, unless denoted otherwise like on PS. It's not how it was when I started using that kind of setup on PS2 but it's how I would explain it to someone who hadn't used the system before.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The only buttons I call the wrong names are Start/Select on newer controllers. Not actually 100% on what they're called (Start/Back on the Xbox?) so they'll always be Start/Select for me.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I think RB/RT is easier for me to parse than R1/R2, but I just roll with whatever the current game is calling them.

The Switch naming scheme throws me every time, though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't think I've ever called them a 'trigger' or a 'bumper', it's usually L and R and either L2/R2 or ZL/ZR for me, depending on the console.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Bumpers and Triggers, because that's what they are. What the fuck is an L1? What the fuck is an R3? It makes sense the name the face buttons by the symbols on them because they're clearly visible, which can't be said for the shoulder buttons.
Bumpers and triggers confuse the fuck out of most people irl. Or saying shoulder button. L1 L2 L3 have been clearly defined for ages and everybody instantly knows what they are, no matter which console. RT or ZR or whatever are just confusing. The basic 1 2 3 is the easiest scheme to remember.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't exist in OPs world.

I call them what they're labelled as when talking about a specific platform but generally I refer to them as shoulder buttons and triggers.