• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

First name that springs to your mind

• Rock, paper, scissors

Votes: 1,290 90.6%
  • Scissors, paper, rock

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • Paper, scissors, rock

Votes: 28 2.0%
  • Roshambo

Votes: 25 1.8%
  • Janken

Votes: 57 4.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is I never heard it referred to directly as Roshambo until college. There was the South Park joke about Roshambo before that, so there was a moment where I had an inappropriate fit of giggles when someone in a college club suggested that we "Roshambo" to decide something.

giphy.gif

Came here to post that Roshambo is from South Park :p

It's rock paper scissors in Canada

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
wtf? how is roshambo so unpopular? is it a very specific regional thing? that's all i've ever heard it called.

Where are you from? Board has a lot of Americans and Europeans, so I'm not surprised at the heavy lean towards Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Took me a sec to parse the OP's thread title just because the series of three words was "backwards" to my mind. :)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love saying Roshambo but RPS is the standard everyone here knows.

I remember Janken from Parappa the Rapper :)

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the vast vast majority of times, i have heard it as rock, paper, scissors, but i've heard paper, rock, scissors, roshambo and janken before, and definitely never the other two listed.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Batu, gunting, kertas

Suit(shuvit) jepang
We also use Human, ant, and elephant

Order human>ant>elephant>human
From Indonesia btw

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's rock paper scissors in the US mainly. But as younger kids we also had rock paper scissors + dynamite and other silly added on weapons.

ED Cantu

Oct 28, 2017
In Mexico we call it Piedra, Papel o Tijeras, but where I grew up kids also call it Chin Cham Pu, don't ask me why.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok in hindsight I voted rock paper scissors, but roshambo was always what we called it as kids. Both are acceptable, the other orders of the 3 are wrong.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Kivi, sakset, paperi, so RSP.

In English I'd call it rock, paper, scissors.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Pretty sure the regional rules around here for roshambo involves a lot more kicking each other in the balls until someone keels over. Quite different from a traditional rock, paper, scissors game.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
voted for rock paper scissors. Surprised it got so many as the media often seems to call it paper scissors rock.

We also use Janken pon but thats because we're a mixed household (the single syllables really flows nicely with the countdown)

iosa

Oct 27, 2017
Toulouse, France
So no one uses the term "shifumi" or "chifoumi" ? That's how it was always called around me (I'm french) it's easier to say than Rock-Paper-Scissors

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny thing is I never heard it referred to directly as Roshambo until college. There was the South Park joke about Roshambo before that, so there was a moment where I had an inappropriate fit of giggles when someone in a college club suggested that we "Roshambo" to decide something.

giphy.gif

South Park was the only place I'd heard it until this thread.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, you have the same discussion in English-speaking countries? Here in Belgium, depending where you live it's Blad, Steen, Schaar (Sheet, Stone, Scissors) or Schaar, Steen, Papier (Scissors, Stone, Paper). The first one is of course the only right one, as Schaar, Steen, Papier fucks up the rhytm Blad, Steen, Schaar has.

Steen, papier, schaar

So Rock, Paper, Scissors.

It's 'papier, schaar, steen' in Dutch.
So paper, scissors, rock.

Things I learned today, across the border in the Netherlands they have two more wrong ways to say it.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Netherlands: Steen, Papier, Schaar

Indonesia: Gajah (Elephant) Orang (Human) Semut (Ant) Thumb is elephant which tramples human, human is index finger which crushes the ant, ant is pinky which can crawl into the elephants trunk.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. I know it as "Schere, Stein, Papier", so "scissors, rock, paper". I'm in Lower Saxony.
Yes, me too. Although, while playing it, I think I've only ever said "Schnick, Schnack, Schnuck" when "counting down". The hand gestures itself are still called scissors, rock, paper, though.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands: Steen, Papier, Schaar

Indonesia: Gajah (Elephant) Orang (Human) Semut (Ant) Thumb is elephant which tramples human, human is index finger which crushes the ant, ant is pinky which can crawl into the elephants trunk.

Haha, this is great. Not the way you say it in The Netherlands, to a Belgian it sounds like chalk on a nailboard.

But the Indonesian thing is amazing. Way more inventive and fantastical.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Pao-Ying-Choob -Thailand. เป่ายิ้งฉุบ

Actually an abbreviation of a much longer phrase kids say when playing

I have no clue about etymology behind this one, the name didn't really translate to anything. May be borrowed words from Chinese or something