• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32106

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Playstation > Play1 Play2 Play3 Play4
All xbox is just xbox
Nintendo Console > word that can translate as Nintendo Machine or just a name like Switch or Wii

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Playstations are Plösö (it's one word for fattie, started calling them that after the OG PS3); prior to PS3 they were Pleikkaris
Switch is just Svitsi
Xbox is Bökä

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
In Argentina is "La Play" (The Play), it's like that with any PlayStation.

PlayStation is so integrated in our culture that people that don't play games will say "La Play" to any home device that runs games regardless if its a PlayStation or not.

Edit: On more layered conversations we add the number: "La Play Cuatro (The Play Four) - La Play Tres (The Play Three)" and so on.

Nov 8, 2017
Netherlands:

"PlayStation 4" = "PlayStation Vier"
"Switch" = "Switch"

And I'm not sure about Xbox One since no-one really talks about it, but I think it's "Xbox One" since the "One" is spelled out explicitly in English rather than being a digit like in "PlayStation 4". And I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone here say "Xbox Een".

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
It's just derived from "playstation", it doesn't actually mean anything. I guess it's easier to say and has been used sinced PS1.
Yeah, "Playstation" is bit of a mouthful to use in spoken language, mostly since it ends in letter n and we like our suffixes. For example, saying "I'm playing on my Playstation" would be "Pelaan Playstationillani", whereas in spoken language you usually drop the possessiv suffix and its just "Pelaan pleikkarilla". Also the flow of the word is pretty bad just in general and with suffixes it becomes a whole thing with front and back wovels and in general it just feels awkward to say. Funnily enough, in comparison Xbox just rolls of the tongue, even though letters x and b aren't typically used in finnish language.

Some words in Finnish get shortened with "-kka" suffix ("purukumi" -> "purkka" meaning "chewing gum"). "-ri" is an agent suffix similar to English "-er".
Plege (pronounced both /pleke/ and /plege/) is almost as common in my experience.

Very interesting! Thanks!

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
In Spain console is a female word (consola), so they're always "la switch" "la xbox (equis box)", "la play (this is a classic)", "la Nintendo De Ese (I don't know how to put it phoneticaly, but it's not like you pronounce it)", etc. Plus we get a lot of english pronunciations wrong too.

Spot on!

Some interesting older examples I can think of are "la Nintendo" for the NES and la "la sesenta y cuatro" for the N64.

Also, while people will number the different PlayStations when needed ("la play cuatro"), I can count on one hand the times I've heard anyone actually say "360" or "One" without specifically being asked. They're all just "equis box".

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing a trend where playstation gets a variety of different names and nicknames, while xbox and nintendo devices don't for the most part.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, i thought we were talking about nicknames and not pronounciations of the letter "X" or the number "4" :P

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
French (not from France), it's either "la play (insert number)", or just "la PS (insert number)".
Xbox is very inexistent so it's more like "la 360" or la "x".

Yeah we are kinda a little lazy lol. Even your name will end up truncated lol.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I rather use pleikka than pleikkari. Or even plege. Not sure why, but all these "salkkARI, maikkARI, feissARI, kaunARI" ending words often annoy me. Boxi/boksi is something I do use, for Nintendo I can sometimes say nintsi. Though that was way more common at the time of the NES and SNES, "Super Nintsi"
You forgot ''Plege'' which is pretty common too (At least I have heard several people to use it). I actually also remember nickname for Nintendo 64 which was ''Nipa 64''.
More precisely "Nipa Kuusnepa" Instead of "Nipa Kuusikymmentäneljä". Even just "kuusnepa" suffices, though this can be confused with Commodore 64.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In German they are basically called the same just with slight changes in pronounciation.
Playstation 4 is usually not called Playstation four but Playstation vier, vier being the German word for four obviously
Nintendo Switch stays Nintendo Switch.
Instead of pronouncing Xbox One as Exbox One Germans usually say Ixbox One. Ix pronounced as in Asterix (the comic).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
In Croatian we have a similar nickname for PlayStation: plejka :)

That's so cute.

In France we say PS4 (in French obviously), Xbox One or simply One, and Switch.

Back during PS1 and PS2 era, I used to say Play and Play 2, not sure if other people did the same. I conformed after reading PSx all the time on the internet.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
For you Spanish speakers, who decided it was going to be "La Play" and not "El Play"? Is it because words ending in -tion in English / -ción in Spanish are always feminine?
-tion would still be pronounced the same in Spanish, -shon in this case. So it's not really -ción but a completely different ending.
It all depends on how it sounds.
Now, because there is not a definitive answer for words that end in -shon, I guess that will depend on each person's judgement and their interactions with others (and the place where they grow up).
For me personally, and for the people I know, it is a masculine object/word, so El PlayStation. (plei-es-tei-shon).

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Svenska är ett vackert språk! Are you folks referring to it more often as PlayStation or Spelsation?
No one says "Spelstation". That's the translation of the word but it has always just been Playstation here in Sweden. We pronounce the word in english but we add the Swedish numbers after. So it's "Två" instead of "Two" and "Fyra" instead of "Four". The first one is most often just Playstation, but lately I have heard more and more people refer to it as Playstation One, it's definitely more used in my circles than Playstation Ett which would fit how we talk about the rest of them. When we shorten them to PS number, we say the whole thing in Swedish. Even "PS Ett" for the first one. Strange :D

Xbox is just Xbox, but that one is more often said with a Swedish pronounciation. Xbox 360 is pronounced with the Swedish numbers while Xbox One is simply Xbox One.

Sega consoles keep their english names and so does Nintendo (except 64 which is said in Swedish).

Nov 8, 2017
I'd love to see a video of people pronouncing what they call Playstation in various languages so I can hear what it sounds like. Either that or at least have people post a youtube video in this thread.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Brazil, I've heard more than a few people refer to an xbox around here as an "x-bomb" (xis-bomba).

Also, PS consoles are usually called Play 1, Play 2, Play 3, Play 4...

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Most people I know call the Playstation just Play. Play Quatro if they want to be specific.

I'm also in Brazil.