• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you call it?

• Level

Votes: 140 32.4%
  • Map

Votes: 98 22.7%
  • Stage

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • Board

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Course

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else?

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 174 40.3%

• Total voters

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I was listening to a podcast the other day, and they were talking about "boards" in Call of Duty. After a bit I figured out they were talking about what I would refer to as "levels." This got me thinking: what nomenclature for playable areas is most popular? If you use something not listed in the poll, please post it in the thread!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on the genre. Level for platformers. Map or arena for shooters depending on the type of shooter. World for RPGs.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I still say "levels" more than I want. Hard to part ways with the word since I used it so much growing up.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I mean highly varies depending on the game. Something like Sonic Mania I would call a stage, Call of Duty a level and Mario Party a board. There's not one term I use as a catch all.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game.

There are
Levels in Mario
Multiplayer maps in Call of Duty
Stages in Castlevania
Courses in racing games
etc

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
2D: Level, 3D: Area, I think. I've never used the word 'map', it sounds to me like the term that people who play shooty bang bang dudebro games use so it's not in my vocab.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By genre for sure. Some games have levels (generally, linear areas that are completed one after the other), some have maps (open spaces that are meant to be explored or navigated by the player). I'd call a single-screen area, like in a fighting game, a stage.

Never a board, though, unless it's specifically aping a board game.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it depends on the genre. Level for platformers. Map or arena for shooters depending on the type of shooter. World for RPGs.

I suppose I do it like this too. Stage for fighting games. I wouldn't call the Witcher 3 maps 'worlds' though, those would be maps 🤔

Maybe if I'm developing I'd refer to them mostly as 'scenes'

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Typically what the genre is, is how I'll refer to it. Platformers, levels. FPS multi player, map. FPS single player, level. Open world, map. So on and so forth.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Depends on the game. Map/Area/Island, whatever for Open world.

Levels for mario
Stage for Street Fighter

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If the game is structured in levels, or stages, I'll call each level, or stage, a "level". If we're talking about an open world game like The Witcher or Assassins Creed, then a given region I would call an "area". If it's a multiplayer game then it's a "map".

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I use map and level but to me they don't mean the same thing.

A "map" is something you play on (multiplayer shooter, Minecraft), a "level" is something you complete (platformer, campaign shooters). For example, the Facility in GoldenEye 64 is both a level in single player and a map in multiplayer.

The only other thing I can think of is that racing games have "tracks" and fighting games have "stages".

I never use board. Board is a super niche and inexplicable relic of terminology, like calling player characters "toons."

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It depends on the game. Usually map, level or zone (edit: or maybe area actually, "zona" in Spanish).

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the game.
Stages are used in fighting games.
Maps in multiplayer games.
Level in something like Sonic or Mario.
Etc etc.

Mar 30, 2019
Never really thought about it till now. Huh. I called them levels or boards in Super Mario, but for other games it depends.

I generically think of arena as the word, but the context changes; Zelda: overworld, dungeon, Mariokart: tracks, Uncharted: sequence, chapter, etc.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Singleplayer I call them levels. If its multiplayer or an open world game I'll call them maps.

Oct 27, 2017

A "map" is something you play on (multiplayer shooter, Minecraft), a "level" is something you complete (platformer, campaign shooters). For example, the Facility in GoldenEye 64 is both a level in single player and a map in multiplayer.

The only other thing I can think of is that racing games have "tracks" and fighting games have "stages".

I never use board. Board is a super niche and inexplicable relic of terminology, like calling player characters "toons."

Yep. This is the correct answer.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
entirely depends on the type of game

An open world game would be a "map" or just... "the world"?

Zelda and most JRPGs are broken up into "overworld", "towns", and "dungeons".

Mario and Sonic have levels within worlds, although with Odyssey I'd use "Kingdom".

Smash has "stages", Mario Kart has either "tracks" or "courses", I flip between 'em.

Literally never heard "board" outside of the very literal sense in the likes of Mario Party

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

This is a great point. And I too refer to it the same way.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the type of game and mode of play.

Singleplayer shooter? Mission or Level
Multiplayer shooter? Map
Platformer? Level or Stage
Fighting game? Stage
Metroidvania? Map, and Zones on said Map
Golf game? Course
Racing game? Track

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It depends on the game and genre a lot.

For platformers, levels. For multiplayer and sandbox games, maps. For fighting games, stages.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game

Linear - level

Open world or Shooter multiplayer - map

Fighting - stage

Party game - board

Racing - Course

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I was caught of guard by someone calling them boards. Where did that come from?
Apparently a north-east/new england thing? Seems the only people I've known who've used it came from there and played Atari/NES as kids.

The answer is level. Doesn't matter the genre. "I play that level on Goldeneye". "This level of Mario is hard" etc.

A collection of levels is also called a World, don't @ me.

(edit) The only exception I've thought of is in RPGs, where the term 'level' can be confused with your character level. In which case it's an 'area' or a 'dungeon', but a collection of such is still a World.

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to stages, chapters, missions, levels, etc, i call them missions when speaking spanish which definitely weirds out people sometimes lol, in english it is game and genre dependant.

World for open worlds.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When i first started gaming many years ago on the super nintendo, i called levels boards, and extra lives man

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017

This. In practice I probably use level or map depending on genre but if I really wanted to be specific then "map" is for play area, "level" is slightly more tied to the game's structure. You can have multiple levels on the same map, for example.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I knew a trick with the super mario bros tape to get a bunch of free guys on the third course

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently a north-east/new england thing? Seems the only people I've known who've used it came from there and played Atari/NES as kids.
The age range is true but I don't think it was that regionally specific. I heard it where I grew up (West coast of Canada), too. Also "flipping the board" for getting such a high score that it resets the scoreboard to zero.