• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the world's most stressful job?

• Air Traffic Controller/Commercial Pilot

Votes: 88 17.8%
  • Emergency Room Doctor/Nurse

Votes: 307 62.3%
  • Lawyer

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Military Personnel

Votes: 48 9.7%
  • Other, please Comment

Votes: 44 8.9%

• Total voters

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Friend works as a first responder and I forbid him from talking about work. It's nightmare fuel.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
As far as everyday jobs go, yeah, air traffic control would almost definitely be at the top, if not at least the top 3. I imagine teacher would be up there as well. Like nvm the stress of actually doing that job every day, but they're also responsible for the future of the world, essentially. If there's no teachers, then there's no real learning. I'd hate to live in a world where 90% of the population is ignorant and stupid.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
An emergency room Nurse is fast paced but they mainly just triage until a room is ready but maybe it's different in the U.S. From my own experience in healthcare I look to the floors with the highest turnover and that is Respirology. Respirology nurses have it real bad. Also Pediatric nurses because unlike adults, medications have to be very precise or a child can code not to mention very small veins for ivs which a surprising amount of nurses just can't do and dealing with parents oof. Then of course palliative wards with end of life care is obviously very hard.

Fuck it. Nurses, all of them. Hard to find a position these days that isn't difficult and understaffed.

Feb 16, 2018
in the US - elementary school student

throughout history - wartime soldier. any job where you have a high chance of dying would be stressful, and this is probably #1 at that

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
War journalist? Like you have to deal with the stress of the situation on top of having deadlines and shit?

Not the same level of responsibility as the other jobs mentioned, but I always thought working in an intense restaurant kitchen looked stressful.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
A soldier. Teacher, nurses, doctor, etc is just a routine mostly. You get used to it. You don't get used to the fact you might die by someone shooting you in the head. I would expect a lot of people dread hearing they have to go overseas. Like, it was pretty common to hear people hating that they were being sent to Afghanistan or Iraq. The amount of PTSD from soldiers is pretty high too. No amount of training really prepares the mind for that.
Granted, I was a comms guy, but I was so happy to go to Iraq to get the hell out of Warner Robins, GA

EndlessSummer

Mar 21, 2022
I mean, it's gotta be front-line soldier in a warzone right?

main-qimg-9d39cba6a5d191aad05db20c8cf948f7-lq
This reminds me of this photo

wvwon4udk2y61.jpg

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine how it's not military.

Even after you leave, the job teaches you to identify threats. You'd always be on edge afterwards, and that's outside of the dead friends, constant near-death experiences, potentially atrocities you're forced to commit. Injuries...

That stuff all comes with you.

Surgeon is a solid answer in that you're taking other peoples' lives into your hands, but you generally don't have to see it in your daily life after you leave. Your coworker who comforts you is probably still going to be alive the next day. And you get paid handsomely to boot.

I'm certain it's SUPER stressful, but the military creates a new kind of persistent stress. IMO.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I would say probably a soldier

Surgeon and nurse is of course ridiculously stressful, but you still know that even if you fuck up, you yourself are unharmed.

Solider your basically walking around with the expectation you could just get hit from anywhere

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I would say Underwater welding, or whatever the occupation is where you have to go find unlucky cave divers.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't see what could be more stressful than front line soldiers in a warfare situation.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
My first thought was funeral home director or something along those lines. You're in charge of preparing someone's loved one for the last time their grieving families can see them. People will always be crying and depressed during these events, and that's all you do.

Though since the end result is already determined, doctors and nurses probably have it worse in the stress department. You deal with families in a vulnerable time, but with their fate ultimately depending on you and your team. Then you gotta deal with rough hours, a mountain of debt after years of hard education, and potentially ungrateful or lashing out patients or family members. Oh and it's all exacerbated when a pandemic is going on.

So yeah my final answer is doctors.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Though since the end result is already determined, doctors and nurses probably have it worse in the stress department. You deal with families in a vulnerable time, but with their fate ultimately depending on you and your team. Then you gotta deal with rough hours, a mountain of debt after years of hard education, and potentially ungrateful or lashing out patients or family members. Oh and it's all exacerbated when a pandemic is going on.

So yeah my final answer is doctors.

I imagine hospice workers have it even worse. Your whole job is to just sit there and watch someone slowly die and try to make them as comfortable as possible.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I imagine hospice workers have it even worse. Your whole job is to just sit there and watch someone slowly die and try to make them as comfortable as possible.
From what I know from people it has it's own level of stress for sure, but it's not as stressful on the other end because you already know they are going to pass at that point.

The stress for a lot of medical workers comes from making a lot of fast decisions to save someone and living with the "what if I'd done this instead?" Never mind patients that are abusive, try to hit you, verbally abuse you, look for ways to sue you, angry families, etc.

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Front line during a war or conflict.

I was an FMF corpsman in the Navy and did two tours in Iraq in '04 and '06. I was convinced myself or one of my Marines was going to get sniped or blown up by an IED every time we stepped outside the wire.

And before someone tries to be snarky with "you knew what you were getting into", I enlisted in May 2001.

Just unlucky on the timing when I entered service but extremely grateful to come out of it alive in the end.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Social work in general and especially as a case manager is pretty stressful. I'm not sure what I would consider the most stressful.

There are also different kinds of stress and I'm not sure I see a need to qualify stress in this way.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Trauma surgeon is top tier. They are often dealing with life and death scenarios, with each one requiring a unique, time consuming, and highly skilled approach. You never know what will be coming through that door or when you'll be going home.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I know a nurse and the toll it takes, especially over the past few years, is immense.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Everyone not voting military personnel never almost "slipped and broke their neck" and it shows.
Air traffic controller/pilot- while it sounds stressful, with today's tech seems like a pretty chill job, and statistically is the least dangerous

Doctor/Nurse- stressful while dealing with patients and trying to save a life, but at the end of the day, your life is not in immediate danger

Soldier- yeah, when there's no war, cool, one conflict and you're life is at risk, have fun thinking are you gonna get blown into pieces any second of the day during a war.

Lawyer- Really? Lmao

Dec 30, 2020
Dennis Miller: "Most stressful job in the world? Bank guard in Alaska. You've got 30 people in the bank... they're all wearing ski masks."

But I have to give it to nurses. I've had to work similarly for family members and if not for the fact they were my own family I'd not have been able to take it.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
One where, if you fuck up, someone dies.

So yes, it's probably trauma surgeon or front-line soldier, but in America, I can definitely see the case for teacher. It's not retail and it's definitely not lawyering (unless you're defending someone against the death penalty, I guess: see the first point).

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
As a commercial pilot, I can confidently say that my job is actually the least stressful out of any job I've had in my life. ATC definitely has more stress
Yeah, the jobs are not the same and shouldn't be grouped together. ATC at a busy airport can be chaotic and always been considered stressful. I don't think I've ever heard a pilot say their job is stressful.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Being a producer on a Tom Cruise flick and praying every day that something doesn't go wrong and he kills himself.

Really, it has to be military, that stuff will change your life, if we step down from that however, outside the US Teacher doesn't rank that highly, I teach at a local university and I find it far, far less stressful than my job as a Technical Architect. I also worked at a suicide help line and that is really hard, that stuff can do awful things to your mental health

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think if you have a shred of humanity, it's president of the United States, but everyone who reaches that position under the current system that we have is going to put the immense amount of global harm that they're directly complicit in out of their minds, making it a lot less stressful.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My mom was an emergency room nurse at Houston Methodist...I think she actually found it fulfilling rather than stressful. Always seemed like other things stressed her out more.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'd consider those jobs which have poor compensation to be worse, all other things the same. When facing food/home security, everything is more stressful. This is why social workers will never get the respect they deserve.

One other category I'd consider is social media image moderator. They have to review some awful shit.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's the military (obviously not all positions). Not only are you not trying to die, but you're trying to make sure the people around you don't die. However, to top it off, you're intentionally killing. Unless you're a sociopath; killing is the most stressful action a person can perform.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
easily commercial divers and saturation divers

so many deaths each year, operating in pitch black, horrific accidents, living in an underwater space station for several weeks

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Studied ATC for my first year in college. Even barely dabbling into it for that short of time, the stress i would face stressed me out.

My advisor scared me away from the program, and I thank him for it. He had been an ATC for 20 years and "retired" to teach.

After the four year degree, you have to go to an FAA Academy for ~6 months in Oklahoma. He said his graduating class from OK was 21 people. According to him, of that 21, 4 committed suicide due to depression/stress, one had an attempted suicide that resulted in him basically being "a vegetable", 16 were married and divorced at least once, due to the stress and hours the job tolled, and he was one of only two people who had lived to their 50s as "normal".

The money is great, benefits are usually good to great, comes with lots of perks, early retirement compared to almost every field, but the job itself. Oof.

Oct 25, 2017
One of those people who looks at the endlessly horrific shit on the internet to moderate it. I went to college with a dude who watched films that were submitting for rating last and such and he told me he had to call police routinely because they suspected rape and child abuse etx from these indie film makers. Sounded fucked up.

I remember hearing that all the shit we think is "magical" about tech is probably someone being overworked and underpaid for doing it manually on the back end and that's shaped a lot of my thinking.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
School teachers seem like something that runs the full width between "easiest job ever" to "my life is a living hell" depending on administration, school district, and your own personality and how you compartmentalize.

Soldier is kinda the same thing depending on MOS and what's going on in the world.

ER doc/nurse is probably my choice because even in a decent hospital there's still going to be all kinds of terrible shit happening.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm currently on long service leave from nursing because I burnt out and my mental health deteriorated severely over the last couple of years. So I might be a bit biased right now but, nursing is my answer.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Front line during a war or conflict.

I was an FMF corpsman in the Navy and did two tours in Iraq in '04 and '06. I was convinced myself or one of my Marines was going to get sniped or blown up by an IED every time we stepped outside the wire.

And before someone tries to be snarky with "you knew what you were getting into", I enlisted in May 2001.

Just unlucky on the timing when I entered service but extremely grateful to come out of it alive in the end.
I'm glad your alive. Yah, no doubt that has to be one, if not the, most stressful jobs.

I think the only thing that made me not consider it was it seems very much based on the current state of the world and the role. But if you are in that position, doesn't seem like anything would be worse.