• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
I've been finding myself playing more single player games on my PC recently (normally only use my gaming rig for multiplayer titles for MKB), specifically a new playthrough of the Witcher 3. With that being said, I'm looking at utilizing the Steam Link app more than usual, especially on nights that I spend at my fiancee's house. While I have experience using the app here and there on both my phone and laptop, I'm curious to see how other members of Era use the app and what they think the best method is with using the app. Even though it's technically discontinued, does the physical Steam Link still hold up as a semi-viable option? What about via Raspberry Pi? Interested to hear everyone's opinions!

GalacticMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using it here and there on the Apple TV 4K now that the hardware supports DualShock 4 and XB1 controllers and it's been great so far. My computer and the apple tv are both hard wired to ethernet and the latency is minimal (but still somewhat noticeable on twitch shooters). Seems like it's a great piece of software, but I don't have any experience with the actual Steam Link hardware.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth:

I bought the Link and the Steam Controller (had my gaming desktop wired via 1gb switch using CAT6 to my TV), and I found Deus Ex: Human Revolution to be a bit clunky (it was buffering randomly and the controller was awkward).

I'm a fan of seamless experiences (console gaming, iOS/macOS) - this wasn't one of them.

Edit: I had no idea ATV4K had Steam Link. Must try.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
There's an app built in on my TV but it barely works. At the most I can get 1080p 30fps with significant input delay. All hardwired through a gigabit switch.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I use a hardwire physical Steam Link that works perfectly. I just wish it wasn't capped at 1080p.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I used the wireless one a bit and it was pretty clunky (despite ~100MBps speeds). Things like audio issues, stuttering, and weird input issues made me give up. Assume that wired is better though, or Apple TV

cyress8

Avenger
We use a couple links, a laptop, and a samsung tablet.

The links work pretty well and had 0 issues with them. I have them connected by ethernet using powerline adapters and really cannot tell the difference between using them and sitting in front of my desktop. Grab a couple cheap if you can. They work great.

My laptop works just as well but it can produce artifacts every once in awhile.

Oddly enough, the tablet works better than the laptop because the app works great when you want to just use the desktop of the remote computer as a desktop and I rarely see artifacts. 0 need to add a notepad to access the desktop easily is something they need to move to the desktop version.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I use steam link on my phone, so I can read vns like umineko while laying on my couch/bed. True game changer tbh. Can't go back anymore.

DustinCanFly

Handsome Phantom
Verified
Mar 12, 2018
Butler, PA
I haven't found any in-home streaming solution satisfactory. I am extremely picky though.

I have a 2080, so I want to get the full value out of it and play games at 4K 60 (with a few reduced graphics settings of course). Every time I've tried streaming, the compression artifacts/resolution/lag have made for a sub par experience.

I usually end up lugging my PC down to my living room when I know I'm gonna play for a few hours. It's annoying but the only way that works for me. I've been looking into HDMI over Ethernet with something like this, but the price is a bit high imo.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Even though it's technically discontinued, does the physical Steam Link still hold up as a semi-viable option?
For me, the physical Steam Link experience was always janky at best. If it was that bad as a supported product, then I shudder to think of how bad it'd be as an unsupported product. Most of my issues with it would've been alleviated had Valve put some buttons for navigation on the device itself, but the Steam Link is a complete pain in the ass if you accidentally map your buttons incorrectly (which is really easy to do, because HDMI handshake issues make it hard to tell whether the device is even on and registering your inputs).

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
I use it on my phone with a Xbox controller and mount and it's great for when I'm sitting around with some spare time, fantastic for doing some random bits in Destiny and working my way through Darksiders 2 on it. I sometimes hit some stutters or the stream dropping resolution but it's rare and momentarily when I'm on my home network.

I also have an Nvidia Shield where I tried Steam Link but absolutely prefer Gamestream and do a good deal of gaming on there (basically anything that plays fine with a controller) and never run into any issues whatsoever over Ethernet on both ends.

I did have a Steam Link proper and it was okay but had it's issues and the apps have overtaken it now.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I still use it all the time, wirelessly. I played through Dark Souls 2 on it that way. I figure that if I could do that game without issue, I should be able to do most. I also played through the first major boss in Sekiro (need to get back to that game sometime soon.)

There are occasional dips but I've learned to live with it.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
My experience with the steam link hardware is that wireless is fine, but you get occasional lag spikes. Wired is basically perfect.

Jan 29, 2018
I use the SteamLink app built into my Samsung tv all the time. Recently played the entirety of The Outer Worlds and Halo Reach that way. I'm using a wired connection to my PC upstairs though, so I don't know how the app performs wirelessly.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I feel like the Nvidia shield hardwired using moonlight would be the best streaming solution. It has a 1gbps Ethernet port which the steam link doesn't.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Hardware version has been fine for me, wired to my router. Only lag I experience is in RDR2, although I haven't tried with other equally demanding games.
The only other problem I have is that non-Steam games have to be launched through Steam or else controllers won't work correctly.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I haven't found any in-home streaming solution satisfactory. I am extremely picky though.

I have a 2080, so I want to get the full value out of it and play games at 4K 60 (with a few reduced graphics settings of course). Every time I've tried streaming, the compression artifacts/resolution/lag have made for a sub par experience.

I usually end up lugging my PC down to my living room when I know I'm gonna play for a few hours. It's annoying but the only way that works for me. I've been looking into HDMI over Ethernet with something like this, but the price is a bit high imo.

Yeah, if you don't mind the higher price of the adapters and you already have the cat-6 run, HDBaseT will be immensely superior to any IP-based streaming technology, since you're getting the actual HDMI signal instead of a reencode. The latest versions support 4k60 at up to 100 meters.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

Didn't know stuff like that existed. I simply can't find streaming good enough either. I gotta have minimal latency and the best image quality possible, so wired is ideal. I have a great OLED on the other side of my pc room, but the only ideal option is a 15m hdmi going through the ceiling to it so it can be connected to my desktop monitor as well. I tried using old parts to make a 2nd pc to connect directly to the TV, but it's still not as seamless as simply having one device.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the Nvidia shield hardwired using moonlight would be the best streaming solution. It has a 1gbps Ethernet port which the steam link doesn't.
Is it possible to use Steam Link on the Shield?
I've been looking for 120Hz streaming devices, and it seems like the Shield is the only one that will do it. But things were bad the last time I tried to use GeForce Experience/GameStream/Moonlight.
I've also no idea about what the media streaming experience would be like compared to an Apple TV, which has support for the same app that I use on my other devices (Infuse). If only those could do 1080p120.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I think the quality was poorly even on wired connection. Don't know why.
It's an older device that uses H.264 rather than HEVC, and it's limited to 30 mbps by default. I think there's some config file you have to change for it to use more bandwidth - though its wired connection is limited to 100 mbps.
The quality has been much better when streaming to my iPad using the Steam Link app since that supports HEVC at higher bitrates.

Dec 14, 2019
It's an older device that uses H.264 rather than HEVC, and it's limited to 30 mbps by default. I think there's some config file you have to change for it to use more bandwidth - though its wired connection is limited to 100 mbps.
The quality has been much better when streaming to my iPad using the Steam Link app since that supports HEVC at higher bitrates.

I've noticed that too.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I've found Nvidia gamestream with the Nvidia shield to work infinitely better even on wifi.
I am now using my steam link as a VR mirror for when friends come over and do VR.

Oct 25, 2017
Just use the app. It's quite good. My experiences below:

Physical Steam Link Hardware
- Wired Ethernet connections to the Steam Link hardware and my PC
- Controllers via USB or bluethooth (Xbox 360 controllers)
- Local network only
- 1080P

Quality was very good and I never had any problems with latency. I generally used Xbox wireless bluetooth controllers but would switch to the USB wired ones when I needed minimal input latency for multiplayer games like Overcooked. No complaints. I primarily used this to play multiplayer games that were local co-op only as I have a good setup and like playing on my PC. I had no complaints.

Steam Link TVOS/iOS App
- Wired Ethernet connection to my ATV 4K and my PC
- Controllers via bluetooth setup on ATV 4K (Xbox One controllers)
- Local network and remote

Excellent quality and an improvement from the physical hardware as it can now utilize HEVC and output up to 4K resolution. The app is also much more convenient as I can now use this in any room that has a ATV 4K hooked up and have the option of using it on my iPad and iPhone. The ATV is my primary hub for everything entertainment related on my living room and bedroom TV so it's super convenient to be able to jump right in without switching inputs. It also freed up some space and clutter by not having the physical device taking up any more room, plugs or ports. I haven't tried the application on a remote network yet or over cellular but it works nearly perfectly for me on my local network. The input latency doesn't seem to be as good as the physical hardware with wired controllers but I still prefer the convenience of wireless.

The main issue that I have right now is that my TV can't pass multi-channel LPCM over eARC (2017 LG OLED) so everything is in stereo. I think the newer LG OLEDs are getting a firmware update for eARC that will add multi-channel but not for my model. I could fix this by connecting the ATV to my Soundbar (Sony ST-5000) which can do the pass through but I like the convenience of ARC and still prefer actually playing games on my PC but it's nice to have the option especially for the bedroom.

I really need to try this on my wife's iPad Pro with a controller. Seems like it would be really good.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
From my experience:
- Get a decent router, and don't use cheap shit or the standard router you may get from a service provider (even performance may be excellent with it)
- Make sure your PC that will act as the server, has a wired connection
- Ideally, if you have fixed locations where you will receive a stream, go wired as well to ensure constant top quality bitrate etc
- If using Wifi to receive a stream and you have control of the network, make sure it is 5Ghz broadcast to avoid the standard 2Ghz most devices use, leading to "interference" / reduced performance
- Not quite worked out the best settings for cellular, but 4G works great with the above or less!

That's it for an awesome experience!

I've used Steam Link Anywhere as far as between Edinburgh, Scotland (server) and Nantes, France just over 4G, with only infrequent audio stutter, while the game was flawless (at least from what I can tell on a phone screen)!
Though be warned, my understanding is that your connection is routed through Valve's own infrastructure, so I assume quality is better when you are near a data centre.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I've been using the app on my TV and it works fine, except for the part where all I have are wireless Xbox One controllers for it and the guide button doesn't seem to work there (but does on the PC, otherwise). Some games still end up with a delay occasionally, but most of the ones I've tried work fine.

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
I have hardwired cat6 in my apt, the physical steam link hardware works great. The Samsung TV steam link app is nearly useless. Terrible artifacting, poor input lag, banding, dropouts.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've got it set up wired, and I mostly use it for couch co-op stuff. Also very useful to just stream video content from my desktop.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
An Android TV with Steamlink installed and bluetooth controllers would be a nice alternative too, without the need to set cables

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

Gigabit Ethernet shouldn't have a noticable impact on streaming quality for 1080p 60fps. 4K is another story but I don't believe you can even do that on the Steam Link.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I did some testing to compare the Steam Link hardware vs the Steam Link app on an Apple TV 4K, with both devices wired.
Quality is noticeably improved on the ATV, even when streaming lower resolutions and using H.264 rather than HEVC. Bit-rates are consistently about 50% higher than using the Steam Link.
With a static scene in a 720p30 game for example -hardly anything demanding- what streamed at 12mbps to the Steam Link, streamed at 18mbps to the ATV - so it must be a difference in encoding settings that Steam uses for each device (both were configured to 50 mbps in the client options).
But image quality is still not great. It is particularly evident in Steam's BPM interface, but there is a lot of color banding in dark areas of the image - even using HEVC and "unlimited" bandwidth settings.
  • Latency on the Steam Link is very consistently around 18ms, ranging from about 15-21ms, as reported by the device itself.
  • Latency on the ATV was much more variable, with the average probably being lower (maybe 12ms) but ranging from about 8-21ms.
This latency was very noticeable to me on either device when using the Steam Controller as a mouse, but not too bad with a DualShock 4 in games that don't use a cursor.
That said, it's connected to an older TV which doesn't have the best latency for gaming - so it's likely that a lot of what I was noticing is caused by it.

The stream seemed more smooth on the Steam Link, with occasional stutters on the ATV.
With my Ubiquiti access points, even doing wireless on the Steam Link produces consistent stutter-free results.

Connecting a Steam Controller was a bit frustrating on the Apple TV, as it pairs via the app itself rather than Bluetooth settings, and wouldn't pair until I paired a DS4 first, for some reason.
Meanwhile the Steam Controller connects directly to the Link via the faster wireless protocol (rather than Bluetooth) and can also power up the device.

Ultimately, my opinion on streaming hasn't really changed much: it's a big compromise on image quality and latency and not something I'd ever use as the primary way of playing games.
More for occasional use or casual things like puzzle games, turn-based games, visual novels etc.
I must say that I'm having doubts over whether the Apple TV was the right device rather than an NVIDIA Shield Pro now though, as I've run into a few issues with media streaming (mostly with DVD playback quality, and ease of accessing my media library).

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Physical Steam link is by far the best way to go. As long as you have local gigabit internet and are hardwired in, I barely noticed any differences.