• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Obvious picks are TLoU2, Hades, and Animal Crossing imo. The rest of the picks will be some combination of Ori 2, FF7R, GoT, Cyberpunk and HL:A. TLoU2 will probably take the win

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077
Half-Life: Alyx
Last of Us Part II

Those are all locked (unless Cyberpunk catastrophically fails)

The rest:

Hades
Animal Crossing
Ghost of Tsushima vs FF7 Remake vs Doom Eternal vs Demon's Souls vs Spiderman vs Ori

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
The Last of Us II
Animal Crossing
Half life Alyx
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy VII Remake or Doom Eternal

Next gen games probably next year.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
As someone who has never understood the appeal of Animal Crossing, I now have played something like 300 hours of this damn game at this point. I have spent more time playing AC than The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild COMBINED. Initially I only even bothered because my GF really wanted me to play with her. But now.. I understand it's magic. Especially in such a dark and dismal year we have all lived, this little island and all my animal friends have put a smile on my face more times than I can count. It is wholesome gaming goodness in the purest form. Granted Nintendo really needs to do some serious QOL adjustments, but the core experience is sublime.

It absolutely deserves to be in the same ranks as other GOTY contenders.

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Half-Life: Alyx
  • The Last of Us Part II
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Hades
  • Cyberpunk 2077
I don't think any PS5/XSX games will be nominated.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think people underestimate how FF7R is seen as, even by critics. It was a remake of a beloved classic and pretty much handled as good as possible to the majority and catered to that nostalgia. It will be nominated.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Persona 5 Royal is a unique situation though. It was literally nominated in a previous year.
And according to Geoff it's perfectly fine to get nominated multiple years.
Keighley took his whole explanation one step further and said that with the way games continue to grow and change over time, he wouldn't be surprised if one day there is a game that wins Game of the Year in back to back years at The Game Awards. "I treat our show now sort of like the Emmys treats seasons of TV shows. Breaking Bad can win Best Show two years in a row at the Emmys because it has two seasons, right? So why can't Fortnite win Game of the Year four years after it came out if that was the best [of the] year compared to every other game out there?" Keighley posed.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
TLOU 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Doom Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Ori and the Will of Wisps.

Yes, no Animal Crossing.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I would love to see Flight Simulator and Half Life Alyx up there for their amazing technical achievements and Ori and the Will of the Wisps for its overall greatness, but I doubt any of them make it.

Cyberpunk
TLOU2
Animal Crossing
FF7R
Doom Eternal
Ghost of Tsushima

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. I'm a teacher, and it's kind of ridiculous at how many of my colleagues who seemingly had no previous interest in gaming picked up a Switch just to play it over the summer. It's a phenomenon.

yeap. A couple of friends who were just playing phone games and had abandoned consoles since the PS2 days, came back to play AC. It is an amazing game for all ages.

Game of the... W? What does the W stand for?

Good question... Months? Best game of the terrible months we had? No, I meant GOTY instead.

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
Demon's Souls and Miles Morales will be there for sure, if Cyberpunk is up to it. Equally Hades and Doom Eternal. This year has actually been crazy.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
was Jedi Fallen Order eligible last year....or did it miss the cut off, and was only eligible for this years GOTY?

not that i think it should win. But maybe an "also ran"

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I'm personally thinking:

1. The Last of Us Part II

2. Cyperpunk 2077 (if it makes the cutoff, 2021 otherwise)

3. Ghost of Tsushima

4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

6. FFVII Remake

Alternates: Microsoft Flight Simulator, Nioh 2, Demon's Souls, Spider-Man: Miles Morales,

Edit (with alternatives I shamefully forgot): Half Life Alyx, Hades (like Celeste in 2018), Doom Eternal (forgot that was this year and not last November like originally planned. 2020's weird).

Winner: I'm thinking Cyberpunk will take it if it lives up to the hype/makes the cut-off, if not, TLOU2 with Animal Crossing as an alternate.
I say they drop FF7R and GoT and include Hades and Alyx

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
People leaving animal crossing off are fooling themselves.

The game is not only extremely well put together I'd argue it was fucking IMPORTANT that the game came out this year. It kept people sane during the early part of Quarantine.

1. TLOU2
2. Ghost of Tsushima
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
4. Hades
5. Ori 2
6. Tossup between FF7 Remake / Doom Eternal / Half Life Alyx.

If Cyberpunk 2077 makes the cut, it might displace any one of the above except for TLOU2.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
In no particular order:

1. The Last of Us Part II
2. Final Fantasy VII Remake
3. Half-Life: Alyx
4. Cyberpunk 2077
5. Ghost of Tsushima
6.Hades

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The Last of Us Part II
Final Fantasy VII
Cyberpunk
Animal Crossing
Half Life: Alyx
+1 other wildcard

There's no way Animal Crossing is getting left out

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
What do you consider quality? Fancy graphics? Because right now we don't know Cyberpunk will be "quality." I mean, the developer released only one GOTY--the Witcher 3, which is a great game--but that's it. One game, no matter how good, doesn't make a proven track record. The game may not live up to the hype or have some controversial transphpobic content (which is very likely), or be a buggy mess (which is also likely, given the crunch horror stories) or have performance issues. At least Animal Crossing is a really good game, which is more than we know about Cyberpunk at this point.

Not my fault if you did not play The Witcher 1 and 2, both great games. The Witcher 3 is above that, is a GOAT contender, there are not many developers with a better track record right now, if any.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
wattam
darksiders genesis
murder by numbers
paper beast
void bastards
fall guys

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
TLOU2 is one of, if not my favorite game of all time.

That being said, Hades and Animal Crossing are going to come into these GOTY awards across the board and really piss off the Cyberpunk/Tushima/TLOU crowd and I am definitely here for the crying.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
The Last of Us Part II
Cyberpunk
Hades
Animal Crossing
Ghost of Tsushima

I am probably missing some but this is my first guess.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The Last of Us Part II
Doom Eternal (or 2077)
Hades
Animal Crossing
FF VII Remake (or Ori)

Covers a lot of areas of gaming IMHO.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Ghost of Tsushima but I absolutely can't trust the taste of anyone who'd snub HLA, Doom Eternal, FFVII, or AC to make room for a GoT nom

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Last of us 2
FF7 (tho I don't think this should be nominated personally)
Demons Souls/ Ghosts of Tsushima/Ori/Doom/
Cyberpunk
Animal Crossing
Half Life

I think Sony will win it this year

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
What do you consider quality? Fancy graphics? Because right now we don't know Cyberpunk will be "quality." I mean, the developer released only one GOTY--the Witcher 3, which is a great game--but that's it. One game, no matter how good, doesn't make a proven track record. The game may not live up to the hype or have some controversial transphpobic content (which is very likely), or be a buggy mess (which is also likely, given the crunch horror stories) or have performance issues. At least Animal Crossing is a really good game, which is more than we know about Cyberpunk at this point.
Have you been living under a rock? Everyone who has played Cyberpunk loved it. The only question is how the full game holds up and there is nothing to suggest that it won't be a quality game at the very least.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demons Souls
GHOSTS OF TSUSHIMA
The Last of Us 2
Hades

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see Hades or 13 Sentinals in the mix but I know I can only really hope for the former.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
The Last of Us 2 - Sony Rep
Ori and the Will of the Wisp - Microsoft Rep
Animal Crossing - Nintendo Rep
Half Life Alyx - Steam Rep
Final Fantasy VII Remake - That one Japanese game Rep
Hades - The Indie darling Rep

cyberpunk doesn't make the cut for this year

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Why no love for Dreams?
I haven't played it (despite buying it day one) largely because I don't think I have a single creative bone in my body, but it's got some of the highest Metacritic scores this year.
Same reason as to why so many people are leaving Flight Sim and Crusader Kings 3 off their lists.

Some genres are way more beloved by critics than others.