• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I'm personally thinking:

1. The Last of Us Part II

2. Cyperpunk 2077 (if it makes the cutoff, 2021 otherwise)

3. Ghost of Tsushima

4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

6. FFVII Remake

Alternates: Microsoft Flight Simulator, Nioh 2, Demon's Souls, Spider-Man: Miles Morales,

Edit (with alternatives I shamefully forgot): Half Life Alyx, Hades (like Celeste in 2018), Doom Eternal (forgot that was this year and not last November like originally planned. 2020's weird).

Winner: I'm thinking Cyberpunk will take it if it lives up to the hype/makes the cut-off, if not, TLOU2 with Animal Crossing as an alternate.

Last edited:

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Of Us Part 2
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghost of Tsushima
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Half Life Alyx

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The real winner should be Animal Crossing. All of the games mentioned by the OP are (Probably be) great, but animal crossing if the GOTW at the right time.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing, Cyberpunk 2077, TLOU2, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Half-Life Alyx, Hades

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Guaranteed:
TOLU2
Cyberpunk
FFVIIR
Half-Life: Alyx (Geoff has a personal attachment to this game, it won't be overlooked)

Maybe:
Tsushima
Animal Crossing
Hades

Long Shot:
Ori
Wasteland
Flight Simulator

SubTXT

Jul 24, 2020
Seeing the games listed. What a great year for gaming despite all that's happened...

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Outside of your list, Hades and Alyx should certainly be there. I think TLoU2 will take it, but 2077 has a chance even with its transphobic & crunch bullshit.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't think FFVII Remake will make the cut.

I can see:
Animal Crossing
Hades
Half Life Alyx
Fall Guys
TLOU Part 2
Cyber Punk

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Keighley's running the show, so I'd like to think Alyx will get in the GOTY noms somehow.

(Yes I know that's not how it works, before anyone says that)

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
1. The Last of Us: Part 2
2. Animal Crossing
3. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
4. Doom Eternal
5. Ghosts of Tsushima
6. Cyberpunk 2077

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's officially a joke if Hades isn't in there.

Cyberpunk 2077
Animal Crossing
Hades
Ghosts of Tsushima
FF7:R
Half Life Alyx

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Hades, Animal Crossing, Last of Us, Cyberpunk, Ghost of Tsushima, MS: Flight Simulator.

Winner:Animal Crossing. It got the added importance of being the so called 'game of the pandemic' It's reach outside of gaming was huge

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think it'll be:
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Half-Life Alyx
  • Hades
  • Final Fantasy VII: Remake

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think you nailed it OP. Maybe replace Ghost of Tsushima with Hades though. I feel like the hype and buzz around GoT has died down a lot, and buzz around Hades is still going strong.

Alyx appeals to such a niche market (Index owners basically), that even though it's a great game (I'm sure), like Beat Saber in 2018, it's one of those "if a tree falls in a forest" type situations. I think if everyone who played it, universally agreed, that it is bar none, game of the year, that maybe it would make it on this list, but listening to some hardcore VR evangelicals like Gerstmann being pretty "meh" on it, tells me that it's not going to be in this overall Game Awards GOTY conversation this year.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
It's interesting seeing the debate over what games go on it, but there is no version of the actual list that won't have Animal Crossing on it.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be willing to bet that Hades gets nominated.
Aside from what you've listed, I would add Hades.
Hades gotta be up there not just for the indie category but for GOTY full stop
Y'all know what's up. Hades coming for those awards.

On topic, I think it's crazy PS has 5 "exclusive" titles that are possible contenders for GotY. Between TLOU PII, FF7R, Ghost, Demon's Souls, and Miles Morales... that's nuts.

Here's the list of nominees that I think will happen:

1. The Last of Us Part II

2. Cyperpunk 2077 (I have a sneaking suspicion this will launch buggy and not review as well as suspected though)

3. Spider-Man: Miles Morales

4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

5. Hades

6. FFVII Remake

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
perhaps something worth looking at, these are the best-reviewed [new] games released in 2020 so far according to opencritic.

screenshot2020-10-19aqbk63.png

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
Personally would switch Ghost of Tsushima for MS Flight Simulator.
I like Ghost, and I plan on finishing the side content on the PS5. But Flight Simulator was a new and more exciting experience for me.

Dedazen

Oct 7, 2019
The Last Of Us Part 2
Hades
Half-Life: Alyx
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Cyberpunk 2077

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
My list is:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
The Origami King
Hades

There are other games I enjoyed as much as these, but even then I wouldn't consider them for game of the year.

OP
OP
DeoGame

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Personally would switch Ghost of Tsushima for MS Flight Simulator.
I like Ghost, and I plan on finishing the side content on the PS5. But Flight Simulator was a new and more exciting experience for me.
I adore Flight Sim with all my heart. I made sure my laptop could run it when it came time to replace, but I could see it being too niche. Would love to be proven wrong though, it's one of the finest technical achievements ever, a fantastic sim and a great game to boot.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
  1. TLOU2
  2. Animal Crossing
  3. Ghost of Tshushima
  4. FF7 Remake
  5. Doom Eternal
  6. Ori 2
Indie darling: Hades

Cyberpunk 2077 won't make it.

Wildcard: Demon's Souls Remake