• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
When you have characters like Vegeta or Sasuke I sorta accept them as anti heroes despite what they have done, because of how powerful they are.
You can't really throw them in prison, and they are too useful to just ignore or be on bad terms with.

Harley is just a crazy person who can do back flips and shit.
She doesn't exactly bring a lot to the Justice Leagues table, even on a good day.

I don't know why THIS of all things is where I draw the line, but here we are.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me though, how many actual majo rfemale Batman villains are there now? Harley is an anti-hero, so is Catwoman and Ivy depending on the day of the week. Talia is all over the place. I can't really think of any other major ones.
I'm not sure what Shiva is doing nowadays, but otherwise those are the main ones I think of as well. But Shiva has also gone back and forth as an ally.

I do wish there were more female Batman villains, particularly ones not so tied to a male character like Harley and Talia and ones that are not also a love interest for Bruce. I just really want new villains across the board.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wish TAS went with Harley's Holiday and didn't have her help torture Tim
I honestly view anything after season 3 as an alternate universe. Up to that point, it's the definitive Batman. After that? It spins its wheels, goes in some very odd directions, radically redesigned many characters, and gave us some legit cringy things like the Bruce/Barbara relationship which makes my stomach churn.

See my issue with it is...why would she be Harley Quinn? Like in BTAS timeline she just becomes normal and drops the joker and his effect on her and becomes her own person. But the character, if truly out of Joker's grasp over her, would make her own identity for herself and become a anti-hero and such. The fact she kind of remains the same but more on palatable for hero tales without any change is strange to me and makes me instantly against it, because her identity was one MADE IN ABUSE.
I think Injustice handled that better than most, by also showing how she repurposed her own Harley image to be an inspiration for her own clan of anti-heroes.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Harley Quinn by design almost kind of HAS to evolve into an anti-hero every time her story is told. Her origin is predicated on being someone who gets mindfucked by the Joker and turned into a psycho hench willing to go along with murder, while being constantly abused.

If she stayed that way, the character would becoming troubling in the long run. Harley reforming to some degree, is required to show that she understands the Joker was responsible for brainwashing her into total murderous nihilism and she wants to unscrew her mind.

Also if Batman is to have any influence on his foes, Harley is a prime candidate for being affected by Batman's sincere desire to reform and help the villains.
This is exactly it right here.

Her character going in any other direction makes no sense.

But fuck that non-canon comic about her murdering tons of school children. Whoever wrote that needs help.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harley in the White Knight and Curse of the White Knight Black Label series is a really interesting take on the character that I enjoy.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Harley Quinn by design almost kind of HAS to evolve into an anti-hero every time her story is told. Her origin is predicated on being someone who gets mindfucked by the Joker and turned into a psycho hench willing to go along with murder, while being constantly abused.

If she stayed that way, the character would becoming troubling in the long run. Harley reforming to some degree, is required to show that she understands the Joker was responsible for brainwashing her into total murderous nihilism and she wants to unscrew her mind.

Also if Batman is to have any influence on his foes, Harley is a prime candidate for being affected by Batman's sincere desire to reform and help the villains.
I feel like Batman has similar thoughts on this subject:

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never been a fan of it. At least in her own show they make it clear she's not a hero even after she breaks away from Joker.

But this constant push to sanitize her and make her into a heroine feels bizarre, like DC is so desperate for a distinct female character they'll use whatever they can find.

I found it a little off putting how the show still wants to make it seem like she's a good person even though a few episodes ago she murdered a bunch of people for fun.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
See my issue with it is...why would she be Harley Quinn? Like in BTAS timeline she just becomes normal and drops the joker and his effect on her and becomes her own person. But the character, if truly out of Joker's grasp over her, would make her own identity for herself and become a anti-hero and such. The fact she kind of remains the same but more on palatable for hero tales without any change is strange to me and makes me instantly against it, because her identity was one MADE IN ABUSE.
Because "fuck him, that shit's mine now."

Which, ya know, I do get.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Because comics are like wrestling in which you're supposed to forget about everything 6 months later. Especially in the Batman stuff where villains are supposed to be criminally insane and need to be treated. Really only the Joker is the one that's utterly irredeemable. Everyone else runs on the wrestling logic.
I don't know about "redeemable," but the Harley Quinn animated show has Joker
finding true love and enjoying life as a suburban dad.

It's a character turn I did not expect.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me though, how many actual majo rfemale Batman villains are there now? Harley is an anti-hero, so is Catwoman and Ivy depending on the day of the week. Talia is all over the place. I can't really think of any other major ones.
not major, but all his current female villains are pretty creepy. Jane Doe for example.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I watched season 1 of the cartoon and loved it. I liked Poison Ivy even more though.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Harley was never a real bad guy though so it kind of works. They keep stressing that in the DCU show and even Harley herself says she's not really a supervillain and not even Batman and tbe JL see her as that anymore.

I'm ok with this, she makes a more compelling character as an anti hero than as Jokers sidekick or solo villain.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The joker made me kill all those people ;-;"

And all handweaving of her agency and responsibility is odd.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I've been reading cape comics long enough that I dont necessarily get in a twist about publishers trying to turn popular villains into heroes/anti-heroes anymore...but with Harley my nerd issue with the attempts to reform her basically comes down to what does she really bring to the table as a hero? She kinda nuts and she has a big hammer? The editorial mandate to make this character good so that we can put them in more books just seems extra transparent when you're talking about a strictly ground level character who can suddenly hang with the Justice League.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I prefer her to be an insane loon, she kills people and does it in entertaining ways is all I really need for her and joker stories.

Making her more sane loses the appeal of her character it just feels like a completely different person now.

I also really dislike her new outfit, her jester outfit in the tv show was the best for me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Harley being into blatant villainy is mostly due to the Joker but she's still not the type to save the world unless theres a good reason, because she's INSANE

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Quinn was first conceived in the animated series and 2 years later they were flirting with the idea themselves. It made sense back then even though they didn't commit to it so I don't have an issue with the parent company running with that idea for all it is worth.

The only thing that stands out with Harley compared to other anti-heroes is that she doesn't go through a redemption arc. She's not atoning for any past sins. She's not confronted with her past actions. This happened back then in the original BTAS and I'm seeing this dynamic now.

She just decided to not do everything Joker did and doesn't have a problem not being a murderous psychopath. Considering her personality and motivations to be with the Joker it wasn't difficult to believe she could flip like this.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue with it, she's a fun interesting character. She like most characters have multiple takes on who/what they are.

I do find it funny how people here can't move on with some of the past stuff. Yall even know what some of the horrible shit heroes have done? Everything is pretty fluid in comic land. Remove things that dont work, add things to make it better.

For Harley, DC seems to be going with redemption or healing being part of her core. Which works, cause she's a victim of Joker herself in most cases. But as we've seen in the recent Harley show....it doesn't automatically translate in to making her a good person.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but I'm getting tired of the extreme push she is getting.

Kinda wish she would go back to classic Harley for a while

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to be so disappointed in comics if you try to make sense of whatever the hell the publishers try to do from story to story. Best to not put much thought into it, and if it does bug you your best bet is to find a story you love and just read that.

Who tf knows with Harley. She's bad, she's good, she's lesbian, she's straight, she's bi, she's crazy, she's not...shes been a tug of war for years and she's really now just a delivery method for whatever stupid (or decent) story they want to tell.