• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 21, 2017
It's been over a decade since i've felt anything and i'm just wondering if i'm really missing out on anything

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like anything in life there's good and bad. Sometimes it feels awesome and other times I wish I never had them.

I think you may have feelings but you don't allow yourself to really feel them. If ya wanna talk DM me, let me know what's on your mind.
No pressure tho.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
why feel the whole seat when you'll only need to feel the edge

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
OP, do you think that maybe it's not that you don't feel, but maybe you are worried more about others feelings about you? In other words, do you laugh at comedies or get sad at tragedies, but feel like you are missing out on human connections?

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
Anhedonia is symptomatic of several physiological conditions; you should discuss your lack of emotions with a licensed medical professional. They will help direct you towards treatment.

OP
OP
GARlock Spiral
Dec 21, 2017
Maybe OP is really dead and we are talking to his ghost.
Just on the Inside

When was the last time you laughed?
For certain? Last tuesday.

Hard to believe you feel nothing.
Maybe not nothing, but not much past anger, hunger, the occasional bout of annoyance, etc. I'd really hesitate to count that as "something" over 10+ years,

Why did you feel to want to know?
Curiosity.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
They feel like eating a freshly made donut after you blow it a little , you know, So it won't be as hot.

OP
OP
GARlock Spiral
Dec 21, 2017
OP, do you think that maybe it's not that you don't feel, but maybe you are worried more about others feelings about you? In other words, do you laugh at comedies or get sad at tragedies, but feel like you are missing out on human connections?

Not really? See, I have no one to worry about how they feel about me. But I do laugh at comedies, but know there's no one out there for me to be missing out on so *shrug*.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Therapy. Real therapy. Get some. Not online, not social media, get therapy. Either that or fantastic job of a bait thread that will be commented on among other sites too.
One of the two , I can't speak for which.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Not really? See, I have no one to worry about how they feel about me. But I do laugh at comedies, but know there's no one out there for me to be missing out on so *shrug*.
That's...pretty much what I meant. You are lacking human connection, right? Laughing at comedies is feeling, but it's not as deep as feeling love or familial connection.

There are avenues for you to get help in this area. I'm pretty sure you are wrong about there being nobody for you to connect with, even if it is someone you haven't met yet. But you may need to talk to a therapist to get to the stage where you are ready to accept that.

OP
OP
GARlock Spiral
Dec 21, 2017
But if the ghost inside you is dead, then who is piloting your meatbag?
Nobody.

Therapy. Real therapy. Get some. Not online, not social media, get therapy. Either that or fantastic job of a bait thread that will be commented on among other sites too.
One of the two , I can't speak for which.
Costs money I can't afford.

That's...pretty much what I meant. You are lacking human connection, right? Laughing at comedies is feeling, but it's not as deep as feeling love or familial connection.

There are avenues for you to get help in this area. I'm pretty sure you are wrong about there being nobody for you to connect with, even if it is someone you haven't met yet. But you may need to talk to a therapist to get to the stage where you are ready to accept that.
I guess. Those aren't ever going to happen, though.

OP, what best describes your sense of humor?
Hmm? Meta/Snarky, i suppose?

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Have you always been this way, OP, or did something change?

My spouse, way back when we were just friends, used to swear up and down that he didn't feel anything, that feelings were stupid, he was emotionless, he had killed all his feelings, I don't know, he talked about it any time anything serious came up, and then one day he just opened up and we talked a lot about past trauma and what had caused him to harden himself. If this is nothing like you I apologize for projecting that on you - it's my only real experience with something like this.

OP
OP
GARlock Spiral
Dec 21, 2017
Have you always been this way, OP, or did something change?

My spouse, way back when we were just friends, used to swear up and down that he didn't feel anything, that feelings were stupid, he was emotionless, he had killed all his feelings, I don't know, he talked about it any time anything serious came up, and then one day he just opened up and we talked a lot about past trauma and what had caused him to harden himself. If this is nothing like you I apologize for projecting that on you - it's my only real experience with something like this.

Arguably both. I can't say I never haven't been this way, but i've just had enough happen to know that at this point, Life has made Death look like the more pleasant alternative.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I guess. Those aren't ever going to happen, though.
:( Well, I can understand not having the finances for therapy.

In that case, I would say don't cut off connections with other people as a possibility. Try to frame it as something that hasn't happened, rather than something that can't happen for you. You enjoying comedy shows that you are feeling. I believe you can find someone with whom you can reciprocate feelings.
Arguably both. I can't say I never haven't been this way, but i've just had enough happen to know that at this point, Life has made Death look like the more pleasant alternative.
And please, not this. If you are ever really feeling this way, you can talk to someone for free about it. These people will help you: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
isn't that like Baldur from God of War.

latest

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, man, I don't want to feel you a line of bullshit or anything but I really want to rally for the opposite. Life can be hard. It can be hard for a long time. I spent about ten years thinking a lot of things were hopeless - that I was just digging a bigger hole and would never get out - but I found some lifelines finally and things really did get better. I think I can speak for my person and report that his issues got better, too.

I know you said upthread that therapy is expensive and it really is. I hear you. But sometimes there are community resources you may be able to take advantage of that are much less expensive or free. It might be a little thing like a support group but little things can really help sometimes.

OP
OP
GARlock Spiral
Dec 21, 2017
:( Well, I can understand not having the finances for therapy.

In that case, I would say don't cut off connections with other people as a possibility. Try to frame it as something that hasn't happened, rather than something that can't happen for you. You enjoying comedy shows that you are feeling. I believe you can find someone with whom you can reciprocate feelings.

And please, not this. If you are ever really feeling this way, you can talk to someone for free about it. These people will help you: https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
No, it is a fact that it's both a can't and won't. I'd sooner expect Trump to be a decent president than to find someone i'd like to take out for a cup of coffee.

And hahaha, i've felt that way every day for years. It's a philosophy at this point. The last two years alone have made "living in 2020" look like an absolutely terrible idea as far as i've seen.

Hey, man, I don't want to feel you a line of bullshit or anything but I really want to rally for the opposite. Life can be hard. It can be hard for a long time. I spent about ten years thinking a lot of things were hopeless - that I was just digging a bigger hole and would never get out - but I found some lifelines finally and things really did get better. I think I can speak for my person and report that his issues got better, too.

I know you said upthread that therapy is expensive and it really is. I hear you. But sometimes there are community resources you may be able to take advantage of that are much less expensive or free. It might be a little thing like a support group but little things can really help sometimes.

See, part of me would like to agree with you. You can rally for the opposite, I can't say i'd blame you. I've just spent enough time knowing that what you'd call a lifeline would be something that's never going to happen for me. Things only get exponentially worse in my life. "Better" at this point legitimately means "not alive".

not really. For example, i am merely a miserable pile of secrets.
Alas, I have no wine to throw on the ground!

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i am an insufferable asshole. most people are, when you get down to it. given this affliction, both with and without the self awareness to know you're an insufferable asshole, you come off as a piece of shit supreme. but WITH the self awareness, you can at least hide behind some kind of cynical fakeness where you pretend you aren't completely broken. this is as far as I've gotten: become an actor so people stop fighting with you and telling you you're not reacting correctly or that you're broken.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
No, it is a fact that it's both a can't and won't. I'd sooner expect Trump to be a decent president than to find someone i'd like to take out for a cup of coffee.

And hahaha, i've felt that way every day for years. It's a philosophy at this point. The last two years alone have made "living in 2020" look like an absolutely terrible idea as far as i've seen.
I understand you feeling that way. I think you could also find something to change that outlook. Your situation really can get better, no matter how hopeless it feels. I don't want to annoy you with this, but I really would encourage you to call the NSPL at 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) and talk to someone. They aren't going to do anything you don't want them to. It's both free and confidential.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I understand you feeling that way. I think you could also find something to change that outlook. Your situation really can get better, no matter how hopeless it feels. I don't want to annoy you with this, but I really would encourage you to call the NSPL at 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) and talk to someone. They aren't going to do anything you don't want them to. It's both free and confidential.
I do agree with this. I have called them twice in my life and both times I felt shitty and stupid about it at first but they really did help.

Sometimes just reaching out to anyone can open up possibilities, you know?