• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
Saints row is one my favorite franchises but with the way they left it with gat out of hell and agents of mayhem leaving it in a weird spot what would you like to see them tackle ? a full reboot that's more or less over the top keep building off the world of agents or retcon for a direct sequel

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The characters and story need to have depth and heft again, instead of feeling like a low budget parody movie driven by memes and random absurdity.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Forget Saints Row 2 and go back to what made SR4 good.
Here, I'll give you the notification:

resetera.gif

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They can't fall into the trap of being GTA but with poop.. I think 3 struck a nice balance

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Remake SR2!

But more seriously....it depends on what direction they want the series to go in - SR3 kinda doubled down on the whacky/zany aspect the series touched upon in 2...and then 4 doubled down even further - and in both instances, the game lost at least some level of 'depth' as it got more shallow to allow for more zany hijinx.

So unless they keep wanting to ante up and increase the whackiness factor (which is going to eventually get tough to do, not to mention the underlying conflict with the 'game' systems and the problem of the player getting blatantly overpowered), they probably need to strike a better balance in whackiness versus grounded/realism for the narrative.

But honestly, I'm kinda hoping for some other aspects that really made SR2 cool - a lot of fleshed out world space, hidden secrets galore, etc....but a part of me realizes that costs a lot of money, for not a lot of tangible 'return'.

SR3 was still decent at being its 'own' thing before SR4 jumped the shark (even if Steelport SUUUUUCKED compared to Stillwater), so maybe combine that 'differentiation' but include some of the deeper aspects SR2 utilized, I guess?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Destructible environments

No matter the game, the answer for "what next?" is always destructible environments

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Go back to a more grounded aproach. Basically make a GTA game with a huge reactive dynamic world with loads and loads of fun activities to do.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
saints row 2 should be the blueprint for all SR games. the perfect balance between wacky and serious

they will probably escalate things even further though

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
saints row 2 should be the blueprint for all SR games. the perfect balance between wacky and serious

they will probably escalate things even further though

This. SR2 is still by far the best. But including some elements of 3 and 4 wouldn't be terrible. There's definitely room for more weirdness in SR2. Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater this time.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
They can't fall into the trap of being GTA but with poop.. I think 3 struck a nice balance
I would say 3 had more "poop" than the first two games with all the dildo bat, pimps and hoes, gimpsuit, furry, and zombie stuff at the forefront. Unless the poop you are talking about is 2's Septic Avengers Activity.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I want the wackiness level of SR4/Gat Out of Hell, but I'm also pretty done with the THUG GANG LYFE PIMPS AND HOS stuff from earlier Saints Row games that already felt super played out by the time of Saints Row the Third. Keep the comedy and keep the criminal syndicate stuff, that's all fine, just find a way to express all that stuff that isn't just "we used to be a street gang muthafucka!" But this only really makes sense if Saints Row V is a reboot; if we're continuing on from SR4/Gat Out of Hell there are only really two options:

Either you make the series fully Mass Effect crossed with I dunno, Timesplitters? But there's no way that's happening, that's way too ambitious. Or:

Double down on that Gat Out of Hell ending where everyone becomes cops. (except ACAB, but Saints Row is wacky enough that maybe they could get away with it, or hell just make them roided out tax inspectors, I think it could still work)

I don't really know how you get back to the gang just being a criminal syndicate, unless you do a handwavey thing where the crew travels through time a bunch for shits and giggles and meets Jane Austen as implied by the end of SR4, but then they get pulled into a portal to another dimension while exploring some random planet and there's no way back because the Temporal Defibrillator is offline, and they have to try and fix it wherever they are, which happens to be early-2000s Stillwater and they have to pretend to be themselves again. Which actually, now that I've written that out, that's not a terrible idea. Especially if Jane Austen becomes one of your crew.

In terms of gameplay, somewhere between SR2 and SR3 sounds great. SR4 was cool too, but obviously if you're toning down the wackiness you can't make a superhero game. SR2 was a lot better with side activities than SR3, especially the thing SR3 introduced where a bunch of story missions are actually just introducing you to side missions you probably would've done anyways, which was a big disappointment. But besides that I think SR3 plays just a little bit better all around.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't know. I loved Saints Row the Third and my instant reaction is to say 'more of that' but replaying the Remaster and... it's just so 2010. Although open world/tick off activities on a map and upgrade tech trees and well back in fashion. Maybe just go hard down that path? Parody 'open world game design' as a whole?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I liked SR3 the most. I briefly played SR1 back in the day but didn't think much of it. Never played SR2 because of the PC port. I played SR4 and hated the game the more I played of it.

Bring the game back to the streets. No dumbass super powers or aliens.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Let me break shit, and don't do agents of mayhem again please? We want coop don't remove it.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Saints Row 2 was the perfect blend of crazy and serious.

3 went way to far on the crazy side.

4 wasnt even a Saints Row game anymore.

Please go back to Saints Row 2's tone.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
They should make an ultra-serious, contemporary take on society and man's inhumanity to man.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Wait, there are people who actually preferred SR1?

I can understand the call to go back to SR2 style (the juxtaposition between it starting off as a "normal" game and then getting pretty crazy) was great, and the craziness did have a better effect there than when everything was crazy in the later games. That being said, though, my favorite thing about the SR series is probably the escalation. You go from being some loser in a gang to being the time-travelling presidential savior of earth.

I'm thinking they're probably doing a reboot, but what I'd really want to see is a Saints Row Infinity (as in Marathon, not Halo). The Boss becomes unstuck in time and starts living out different potential scenarios from the Saints history, from different sides of the conflict or with different choices being made. Eventually he becomes a god.

2174781-marathon_infinity_ending.png

Then the Boss can bring life to a new world and you all can get your "grounded" SR.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
When absolutely everything is "so randumb XD XD" 24/7, it all becomes extremely boring and tedious. So not like 4, please.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would very much like to see them dial it back down. It doesn't need to be down at GTA levels of realism and restraint, but it should definitely be somewhere shy of superheroes and trips to hell and space. I think that the series was best when it was simply GTA but more over the top and customizable.

Either reboot it or pick up from where three left off. Four can be a fever dream or something. I'd like to see the tone return to where it was in two, maybe with shades of three.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Saints Row 2 had its serious moments.

I think the most important aspect of whatever direction Volition takes is making sure the open world's environment and NPCs have character.

Steelport is and likely forever will be as bland as it gets. It was bad enough in 3, with 4 ramping up the level of repetition and shitty activities that made less use of the city itself.