• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What difficulty

• I'm Too Young to Die

Votes: 90 7.5%
  • Hurt Me Plenty

Votes: 459 38.3%
  • Ultra Violence

Votes: 500 41.7%
  • Nightmare

Votes: 129 10.8%
  • I've stuck with my choice

Votes: 379 31.6%
  • I lowered the difficulty after starting

Votes: 100 8.3%
  • I raised the difficulty after starting

Votes: 11 0.9%

• Total voters

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Just played for another hour or so on UV and I think I'll stick to it. I'm having way more fun here.

Even this dude isn't playing on nightmare, and his aim and movement is out of this world lol

Jesus christ. That's the kind of aim that's mostly indistinguishable from aimbotting.

I totally relate to that scream when he got bodyblocked lol. Bodyblocking is a huge cause of death in this game.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Ultra Violence, changed it to Hurt Me Plenty shortly after, and eventually switched to I'm Too Young to Die because I just didn't like how encounters work in this game and some enemies were so damn annoying to deal with even on the easiest difficulty.

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
Hurt me plenty and then lowered it to I'm too young to die after my first encounter with the Marauder. I had been able to complete all Slayer Gates up to the point and had a stock of lives saved up that a lost all to him. I'm glad I did though because I even died to him in encounters even on I'm too young to die. Made the game much more enjoyable for me, fuck that shit.

Oct 25, 2017
I beat 2016 on UV, started Eternal on UV but i'm considering dropping it down to Hurt me plenty. I just feel like the newer mechanics don't scale well to the higher difficulties. The game is annoying hard on UV and not fun hard like 2016 UV was.

Miggytronz

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm currently on Hurt Me Plenty but I'm pretty far in the game to where there are far more enemies and if found myself trapped into death corners, where you died and respawned to a shitton of demons just on your ass. I may kick it down a notch.

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed and suffered Ultra-Violence in Doom '16 to the end, so I decided to go a little easy on Hurt Me Plenty.

Still tough, but I'm still getting used to things and enjoying it.

Foxdeimos

Jan 25, 2018
Playing on PC, went with Ultra Violence. Started the game playing it on a controller (PS3 controller) and found it completely and utterly unmanageable, so I switched to keyboard + mouse. Just finished the first Slayer Gate and it seems pretty good, even though I am sometimes getting my ass kicked a bit. I honestly don't see how I could possibly deal with the stuff this game throws at you at that difficulty with a controller.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Even this dude isn't playing on nightmare, and his aim and movement is out of this world lol

Holy shit, he makes it look like some kind of tool assisted speedrun, how does he have such situational awareness, and that aim and movement is absurd.

He has 5 extra lives by the end of the video, i never managed to hold on to more than 2, he should probably bump up the difficulty level a bit.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty...and it's living up to its name...I always play games at their Normal difficulty the first time so I can get used to the gameplay, environments, enemy types etc...only on a replay will I bump up the difficulty

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ultra violence, some fights and enemies have been ridiculously hard but it's been really satisfying overall.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Ultra violence for me. Most fights seem pretty balanced. Marauders can eat shit tho... those guys suck.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Playing on Hurt Me Plenty and towards the end of the game. Really loving it. Some encounters have been tough, but I think I need to bump up to Ultra Violence on my next play through for the sweet spot.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ultra-Violence + the fact there are extra lives just mean I don't have to deal with annoying game over screens - they frequently sapped my will to play more on Doom 2016. Didn't saw it even once during my gameplay. I might replay it on Nightmare in the future.

Last edited:

zebetite

Oct 25, 2017
Mississauga, ON
just beat the game on ultraviolence, which was what i started on

the early and late games were tough-ish for different reasons (early: arachnotrons, revanants, etc are pretty tough before you've got a full toolkit / late: marauders are a pain in the ass and the encounters get truly insane in the last couple of levels)

the middle 70% or so was comfortable enough that i probably could have managed on nightmare

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Started on "Hurt me plenty" and moved to "I'm too young to die" in the last level. That was just too much and I was happy when I finished it.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started on hurt me plenty because I finished Doom on the same setting. But after mission 3 I dropped to don't kill me because I was dying too much and I don't want to stress myself, at least not in the middle of a quarintine. Don't kill me please feels exactly like the normal dificulty on the previous game, perfect for me.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ultraviolence and I've stuck with it.

Shit's brutal though. Can't imagine doing nightmare.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
The "aim assist" is the most useless option in the game. It does NOTHING.

How did you find the first slayer gate?
I actually did it on my first try. Ditto the second one. The area that gave me the most problems was shortly before getting the double-barrelled shotgun, and it just seemed like a completely random spike in difficulty.
Some weird combination of multiple strong enemies, a complex and unfamiliar arena, and me still getting used to all the games systems I guess.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Too young to die, cause I'm getting old.

It's good for me.
Once aim assist is patched, I could maybe pump it up, maybe ...

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My hand was cramping on KB+M so I lowered it to TYTD and took this opportunity to try out the Steam Controller. Thing is amazing and after easing into the learning curve more I'll replay in Ultra Nightmare as per my original intent.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Started on Nightmare and I've stuck with it. Currently on the final level and to say it's been hard is an understatement. I love challenging games though and admit that I've attempted a few encounters more than once haha.

Had to go back to the first couple of slayer gates once getting upgraded but worth it for the
Unmaykr

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
On the second to last level now and I played it on HMP. Kind of glad I did because even on that difficulty, I find it to be overwhelming. I'm playing on console so maybe I would have bumped it up to UV had I played this on PC. My thumbs are taking a beating. lol

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
UV seems pretty balanced. Haven't really been stuck on any fights so far.

I can't imagine doing it on a controller though. There's a lot of stuff coming your way.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
On Doom 2016, I started on easy and eventually finished it on Hard.

This time, I started on easy and I'm not sure yet if I'll jump to normal (I've finished the game but still have slayer gates to do).

Some of the later areas are ridiculous.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Too stubborn to lower or quit, this might be a 100 hour game for me at this rate.

This is me right now on UV. Dying a lot, can only play 30 minutes max at a time before my heart explodes out of my chest. Think it took me 16-17 hours to beat DOOM 2016 on UV but have a feeling Eternal will take me at least twice as long.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I've bumped it down to Hurt Me Plenty and the game is still too hard.

I'm feeling very disappointed with this game. The ball was dropped just like Wolfenstein 1 to 2. The creators took anything that was great and Doom 2016 and ruined it by complicating it.
I couldn't agree more, the additional stuff to keep track of & all the platforming stinks.

Oct 28, 2019
This game is hard. It's designed around single encounters having to be tried several times in a row. There is definitely a bit of trial and error. All that having been said, once you get all the tools and remember to use them all the game gets significantly easier. Gggman had it right this game is hardest in the earliest moments. The snake enemy and the Marauder and purple goo sometimes can be anti fun.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Nightmare on pc with keyboard and mouse and at the end of the fifth level.

I'm dying often and the second slayer gate took me 2 hours to complete, but the combat is so good that I never get frustrated. Quite on the contrary, I often die with a smile on my face.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, he makes it look like some kind of tool assisted speedrun, how does he have such situational awareness, and that aim and movement is absurd.

He has 5 extra lives by the end of the video, i never managed to hold on to more than 2, he should probably bump up the difficulty level a bit.
I guess thats what years of professional CS:GO does to you lol.

But even then, this is way more fast paced and he doesnt seem to mind one bit. Id love to watch a full playthrough from this guy.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Nightmare -> Ultra Violence

UV feels just right. A bit easier towards the end, but you still need to be on your toes. The game really likes to just have 20 big demons spawn into your back...

Nov 6, 2017
I started on Ultra Violence, I've stuck with it, but dare I say it is ball busting difficult. I did a Nightmare run of DOOM '16 in preparation for this and it's nowhere this hard, holy crap !

I very much appreciate the challenge, but I need to be laser focused when playing this, otherwise I can't do shit, and with a 4 months old baby at home, I suck more often than not lol

Amazing game nonetheless, GOTY for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Ultra violence is fine for me most of the time. I die occasionally but it feels balanced.

Until certain enemies show up and force me to play the game differently. I'm looking forward to replaying it with all abilities unlocked. Teach some of those guys a lesson for bullying me before I had a fully upgraded rocket launcher.

I'm fascinated by how much this game feels like the new God of War. They both sacrificed the power fantasy to make a more interesting and punishing combat system. I'm enjoying the game, but I don't feel like the Doom Slayer.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Ultra Violence for me, fits my general skill level and literal decades of experience with shooters without being bone crushingly difficult. Definitely has its peaks, I've died a number of times so far, but it's the sweet spot for skill application and thrill of being just-on-edge of dying. There's been a couple of encounters that felt absurdly difficult, but also a couple of the opposite that seemed like they were supposed to be a climatic experience but were over surprisingly quickly.

Doubt I'll drop it down. The game would need to literally break apart in balance for that to be the case.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Started DOOM 2016 on Nightmare. Intending to do this one as well in a week or two.

Nightmare forces you to do the dance. And makes the game feel entirely different. Same with playing Starcraft 2 on Brutal difficulty.

We're gonna see a run like this soon at GDQ aren't we...

Wait, SGDQ prob won't happen due to what's going on in the world huh? I just made myself sad.

They could just stream from their own PCs. It is doable.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
Normally I'd have started on Ultraviolence as Doom tradition dictates but after seeing all the comments in the OT about how hard it was I decided to play it safe and start on Hurt Me Plenty.

Sort of regretting it as I've only died a handful of times and I'm approaching the end now (the big group fights with Marauders can fuck right off though) but I'll probably stick with it and save the higher difficulties for replays.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
Been playing UV and so far it's been a blast. It's that sweet spot where you have to be on your toes but it's just forgiving enough where you can make some mistake and just barely pull yourself out of the shitter.