• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the first season, was indifferent to the second season, thought the third season was just plain bad and didn't even bother with the fourth.

It + the Moffat era of Doctor Who kinda put me off British genre TV for a while. Nowadays I basically wait for a show's run to be done before even bothering with it.

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
First two season are great season 3 is mixed bag and Last season was the most disappointing thing since my son

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
First episode of the show was awesome, but even with the second one there was a stark decline. It never felt as coherent or grounded again and just went of the deep end when it came to mystery and playing with the viewers expectations.

Dropped it somewhat around the second season, so no idea how it is these days.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Liked it but I didn't enjoy the most recent ending and a lot of the writing threw me off after s1

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I loved series 1 and 2, and thought 3 was mediocre. I struggled through it. I didn't even know there was a series 4 for a long time so i've never watched it and i'm not sure i have to desire to.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The first couple of series were genuinely very good, and the third was just OK. As someone who can't stand Doctor Who, it was basically the show I always wanted it to be, with its more serious tone and Cumberbatch/Freeman having an excellent curmudgeonly Doctor/audience surrogate companion dynamic respectively.

I'm British, and it became actively annoying how long it took to produce new episodes. 13 episodes in 7 years, and after the second season the quality deteriorated sharply. Ridiculously low rate of output when compared with how quickly teams of American writers can put out an entire season of a show with more total episodes than that in a year. I know the UK has a different TV auteur writing tradition, and Gatiss/Moffat had to work around the busy Hollywood schedules of Sherlock's stars, but the quality eventually wasn't there to justify the short seasons and long gaps. Not to mention the show was largely based on existing stories.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A good first season in a show that progressively jumped the shark.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Literally, the only episode I look back fondly at is the wedding episode. The actress playing the maid of honor is amazing, and she made a thankless role shine.

But other than that, I found it to be a detective show bizarrely uninterested in actually constructing good mysteries. Also, felt like they substituted camera trickery and effects for actual good writing and storytelling.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Loved it at the beginning, but it went completely sideways in the later seasons.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
A scandal in Belgravia is still one of my favourite single episodes of TV ever. But they really drank too much of their own kool-aid after season 2.

I think it coincided with the time when Benedict Cumberbatch suddenly had to be in every movie under the sun. Led to a bit of overexposure of him.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Great show. Definitely the highs are the earlier episodes but I loved the characters and enjoyed the latter episodes for what they were.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
very enjoyable but also very far up its own ass and an ending so bad the fanbase was convinced there was a hidden 4th episode.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I enjoyed it overall. It's highs are pretty great and lots of fun, but it's lows...... yeeeeesh.... When Sherlock was bad it was really fucking bad.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
This show was f'n amazing. I enjoyed every single episode so much.
Season 1 is mind-blowing good even, but in general, I thought the quality was pretty even with the first 3 seasons with one very strong first episode and one even better final episode and a decent one in the middle.
4 wasn't that breathtaking anymore but still strong in my opinion.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the worst story telling ever in a TV series.
even worse than GOT season 08. Moffat is a wanker.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Moriarty was unbelievably bad. Just goddawful shit. Moriarty is one of the worst things I've ever seen on television.
I hated the show.

tenor.gif

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I enjoyed the first three series as a fresh take on Watson and Sherlock, with interesting presentation and typography on screen showing the puzzles etc, but after that it just became self-referential fantasy, particularly the end of season 3 that just disappeared up it's own arse and never came back.

Mary taking a bullet for sherlock when she's got a baby daughter to look after makes absolutely zero sense unless the male writers are thinking every character should love Sherlock just as much as John does, even more than a woman being there for her own daughter. She had no reason to care for him to that extent, nobody does outside of Watson's insane level of loyalty which is the entire point of the series, so it came across as an deliberate choice to sacrifice a female character to let the boys walk away together and move on as team dads.

Last edited:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the first episode, thought I would be hooked.
Didn't like the second episode much.
Thought the third episode was really fun with them just throwing a bunch of puzzles at the characters rapid fire.

First episode of the second season was too long, and I thought the bookend mystery in the field was obnoxious. Took me two seatings to get through that Hounds of Baskerville episode and just dropped the series entirely.

Heard all the stuff about how the following seasons were even worse and counted myself lucky for dropping it when I did.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have tried 3 times to watch it, it always loses my interest, the farther I've gone was beginning of season 2.

Also, Moriarty's appearance on the pool is super cringy to me, was that performance supposed to be intimidating?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I own the complete series on Blu-ray. Six Episodes. Sherlock Jumps to save his friend. Good Times and that's a wrap. No more episodes were ever made.

Oct 30, 2017
It's weird because I loved him.

Andrew Scott would make a great Joker.
I don't even blame Andrew Scott. I think he's a good actor. I think he was just horribly miscast. His sing songy whiny I'm crazy voice, his look I'm cold and crazy eyes; I found none of it believable in the least, and dumb at the worst, a knockoff joker.
it was cliche, none of it convincing.
It's basically Andrew Scott as the joker in Joel Schumacher's Batman films. Super campy, over the top, exaggerated.
I accept I'm in the minority here.

Last edited:

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Loved season 1 and 2, 3 was ok, 4 was like "the fuck is gong on?". In the end, i have fond memories watching it with my friends.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just surprised that people think the first seasons are good. I think really early on, the inconsistent tone of the series just turned me off to it. I think maybe the issue is that I started watching it after Luther; where the mysteries were great, but the characters were especially great.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the first series was decent but Cumberbatch constantly hamming it up really started to wear thin. Was a Sherlock Holmes show in name only by the end. Final series was awful. Thankfully, the BBC have made a lot of better shows over the years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Really liked season 1, it was a very fresh take on a much-taken concept. But season 2 & 3 seemed to go off the rails for me. It's really corny in retrospect but I liked the first season when it came out.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The first two seasons were good, Season 3 was awful, Season 4 is the worst series of TV I've ever watched. And I watched Moffat's whole Doctor Who run.

Moffat is just a creator who is only good at initial setup and can never stick the landing. Every one of his shows is like that, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Jeckyll.
In fact, that Dracula series he did a last year is the perfect encapsulation of it as he does the whole "Moffat cycle" that usually takes a series or two in three episodes.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
seemed like it had potential but as usual with Moffat it ends up going in circles.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Loved the first two seasons, completely dropped off a cliff with the third one, never even bothered to check the fourth one.
Should have ended with the marvelous finale of Season 2.

Oct 25, 2017
A decent start to a series that got too far up its own ass by season 3. The finale of 2 could have been something but the Moffat had to spend the first episode back or season 3 basically play fan service to all the insane internet theories going on. Season 3 was off the rails and a felt like a show that was trying too hard to be like Season 1

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really loved seasons 1 and 2, 3 started to get a little too wacky and self-aware. Didn't actually bother with season 4.

Nov 1, 2017
Started off really strong, then rapidly descended into a pile of self-indulgent "Look how cleverly I'm writing!" wank.

So....Moffat.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this douche was one of the worst actors I've ever seen:
shocked_moriarty.gif

Stopped watching after Season 2, I think.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It was good until he was completely and totally defeated by the magic glasses guy and they seemed to hand wave the giant L instead of sending him to jail because they wrote themselves into a corner.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it right up until Scott actually got to show up as Moriarty, at which point I went "Wait why is Moriarty literally just the joker, wait this plot makes no sense, wait is all of this just so I can gasp when a good music sting plays?"

Once I realized that all of the plotting was nonsense because Moffat thinks you can substitute in cool cinematography and intense line delivery to try and hide that the actual script is dramatic garbage I lost interest