• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought the overall story was kinda cookie cutter.
It was the characters and their interactions, that made the game for me.

Final Fantasy never had better characters since, either in volume or depth.

These characters elevated the story. Kefka included.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Holy cow, I just Youtube'd it. I am guessing I hit some sort of a bug that bypassed this all. For me, it went end bossfight->credits, with nothing in between. Crazy. I guess I could blame the PS1 port?

Well, thanks for mentioning it, it's like seeing deleted scenes from a favorite movie.
Oof, having been denied the entire ending is robbery. Glad you got to finally see it- the ending scenes are really satisfying along with the score.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I wrote about it extensively in my LTTP, albeit scattered across many posts and, with there now being some distance since I played it, I don't feel like diggin

I know that I vastly preferred the World of Ruin both in terms of gameplay and story.

I remember thinking several characters had awfully soapy stories, in particular Locke losing his girl, decorating a weird shrine around her dead body, trying to revive her, etc.

I wasn't pulled into much in the first half. It almost seemed like the first half was plot, the second half was character. And character is where I live.

Despite my initial impressions, the game did something interesting to me--redeemed some of these stories, or paid them off in ways I hadn't expected, deepened them. The coin toss between the brothers is a good example. Celes' suicide attempt, botched in translation if I recall, Terra waking up on that island... that 'shot', with the bird wandering around, is stunning, filmic. The death of old man Cid. Terra's internal (and external) struggle later on, whether she'll find peace of some sort.

As is Shadow, is an admittedly simple, but I would say well-drawn portrait of a broken man. I may have felt the plot uninteresting and felt little for most of the characters, yet then why did shadow's suicide-by-tower break my heart a little bit? And here's where translation comes in, too: the SNES line doesn't match up too well with what happens on-screen. The line could give you hope, but the visual nails the coffin shut.

The translation also affects Locke at the end. I recall making a tally of where I preferred the JP language and where I preferred the English (SNES).

['And I have learned to celebrate life… and the living.'] while perhaps not entirely faithful, is by far what made his character for me. The implication isn't just that he needs to protect more people or some cheesy 'celebrate life'... it's the last part of the sentence that matters: 'and the living'. As in, not your dead girlfriend. He's finally moved on.

Kefka, too, when he goes full nihilist:
I prefer 'You sound like a bunch of self-help books!', whereas the JP is more 'Blah blah blah, you make me sick! Ahh!!'
I think it's funny, a lot more character than the generic evil villain thing.

In Japanese he then says he will erase everything that gives your life meaning. JP gets the nod, as opposed to 'for my next trick, i will make you disappear!'
If you're gonna go for the nihilist thing, go for it. Not to mention, he does what he says in Japanese, not what he says in English.

And finally, the English: 'I will create a monument to non-existence!' This actually makes some sort of sense from a madman standing on top of a pile of garbage, which is on fire, who has made a late-game pivot to nihilism.
In Japanese he just says he'll turn the place into a world of death. See above.

Anyhow... I never felt much for the old man or his daughter... except when he joined a cult. It made some sad kind of sense, an old man like that, walking in circles, averse to reason... dealing with his grief as so many do.

So yeah... this post is a mess and I guess I didn't really comment on the story, nor come close to covering every character. For me, it was those vignettes in the WoR, the small stories, the character bits that hit the hardest.

Part of my source material re: the various translations https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/part-14/ (excellent read regardless)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Shadow dies no matter what you do throughout the game (either he dies at end of the World of Balance, or at the end of the World of Ruin if you re-recruit him, or in that cave in the Veldt if you DON'T re-recruit him)

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
I have never been a huge Final Fantasy fan. Never played the games until last year, where i went and played them chronologically up until 8.

They were all pretty good games. 6 was definitely my favorite of em all. The characters, the story, the world, the scenarios. It was all sooooo good. And the music, oooooofff so amazing. I loved the whole World of Balance/Ruin thing. And i really loved that you could get more of the back stories of the characters by going on side quests later. That was satisfying.
The personal stories combined with the overarching plot was genius. And Kefka as a villain was unique and awesome.

I still have a wallpaper on my phone with a shot of the FF6 cast. Amazing characters.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017
It really was just serviceable. Honestly speaking, prior to playing FFVI I was told that the Opera House sequence was one of the most emotional and well wrtitten sections in any FF game, but I found it to be ridiculous.
A party member who recently defected from the enemy faction and joined your party happens to look exactly like the main singer of a famous Opera house and she can also sing the part perfectly without any practice (that we know of). This is all in an effort to prevent a serial kidnapper from kidnapping the famous singer and instead get him to kidnap this new party member in order to infiltrate his ship and steal it. This serial kidnapper then joins your party solely because he knows how to drive this ship, despite the fact that he is a KIDNAPPER. Also, this was all a 'confession' to a man she recently met and this man mostly brushes off the entire sequence? Perhaps I'm misremembering it, but I distinctly remember feeling so creeped out when Setzer joined the party

Also, the WoR was handled poorly. Felt more like a boring fetch quest than anything else

Why Opera house was so memorable is hearing those sounds & music coming out of SNES hardware.
For most people at that time, that is the one of the best music they heard coming from a video game.

I would see why it lose it's magic for people that play it now and use to hearing actual sounds & music on games.

and WoR was revolutionary at it times where you can finish the game anytime you want with any party members, you don't have to collect them all before going to the final level. Where you can even miss one completely shadow will die if you don't wait for him in WoB and some are hidden (gogo, umaro)

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Personally I don't think it holds up as well as say Chrono Trigger but still very good. They really should have cut some characters or their significance to focus on a smaller party. I appreciate what they did with WoR but on replay its not very engaging.

Oct 28, 2017
I freaking love this game. It was so, so ambitious given the limitations of the hardware and succeeded at so many of them. It isn't a perfect game or anything but when I think of old-school non linear JRPGs it's this one. There are so many secrets, hidden/missable items, cutscenes, character interactions and open ended questions designed for player interpretation that it's frankly amazing for a game from '94.

Exactly! It was the depth of the game and gameplay that makes it stand out. I remember being disappointed in the day that FF7 had so much less depth in it in regards to hidden secrets in the plot or gameplay. My personal FF6 bucket list:

-beating the final boss with just imps and imp armor
-beating the mega bosses of the coliseum such as Typhoon or Seigfried with a super Mog
-grinding brachiosaurus in the dinosaur forest until everyone has an Celestriad
-turning Gau into a Wind God
-changing Setzer from being the weakest character to being game breaking when you give him the Offering and Fixed Dice early in the WOR
-forcing Mog through the Serpent Trench before the WOR to get an extra dance (GBA version lets you get around this)
-taking Ragnarok as a sword and learning Ultima from the Cursed Shield
-grinding Cactars in that one desert south of Meranda
-see every Shadow dream
-glitching the game with sketch and going off as General Leo

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Still a masterpiece to this day for what it was at the time

As much as I would like to see it fleshed out and expanded I have little faith current SE talent could do its unique vision justice

Not to mention that older games obviously had its gaps filled with our own personal interpretations and imagination as its script wasn't overloaeded and wordy.

Still my favorite JRPG of all time to this day regardless

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
OP's characterization of 'OG Sephiroth versus post-OG Sephiroth' is some revisionist history.

Regarding FF6's story: It was profoundly impressionable, playing through the game at night when everyone was alseep.
I was having TERRA DREAMS at night. The game pervaded my every thought, even well-after finishing.

The game is a bit easy, imho, and the story could've actually been even better, when I think about it.
But, at the time, there was nothing quite like it. Not until Chrono Trigger and FF7.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's a good FF and high quality throughout.

The story is alright and Kefka is a typical moustache twirling villain idk why people praise him so much, he is basically a really good laugh soundbite. Him winning is a neat twist but the real interesting parts of the story all involve Celes. She is a really good character and frankly the only one I remember much about and she gets all the best moments.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
Sure, below are some quotes from the FF Wiki.

There was a different dynamic to the characters that became Terra/Locke/Celes:

Edgar's womanizer attitude resulted from trauma:

If you let Sabin die when he holds the crumbling house in the World of Ruin, you would lose him forever but the game would simply continue, without a game over:

Strago was meant to confront Shadow about his fatherhood:

Cid's death was meant to be mandatory in the World of Ruin:

And even Terra at the end:

Also Strago and Cyan were going to have love interests but these characters were scrapped. It's a shame, older couples are rare in JRPGs:
Wait, what? Shadow is Relm's father?! Was that implied at all?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? Shadow is Relm's father?! Was that implied at all?

FF Wiki said:
If the party stays at any inn while Shadow is a party member, there is a 50% chance to view a dream.

There are four dreams, which, when viewed in sequence, tell the story of Shadow's past. The player can stay at an inn over and over again until all dreams have been viewed. Each dream plays once. A fifth dream is shown while rescuing Shadow in the Cave on the Veldt in the World of Ruin, and a sixth dream belonging to Relm is only viewable if the player allows Shadow to perish on the Floating Continent. All four dreams can be viewed in either the World of Balance or the World of Ruin.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
One of my favorites growing up and it got me into JRPGs along with Dragon Quest III on GBC.

Such a shame it still doesn't have a full remake along with V.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
It's one of my favourite video game stories. I like pretty much everyone in the ensemble cast, although I think that some of the later games, like Final Fantasy VII and IX, manage to have more in-depth characterization by focusing on fewer characters.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
FF VI is special. A legitimately character driven story is rarely pulled off in a JRPG, especially one with an ensemble cast. The simplistic dialogue is a feature, not a bug. There's an economy of storytelling to those SNES era RPGs that got lost in the PS1 era.

Not that there isn't an appeal to the more sweeping but muddled narrative of a game like FF VII. What I don't like is games that favor lore over characters. PS1 RPGs tend to underexplain their worlds, which creates a sense of mystery, and prevents the dialogue from being mired in too much exposition. A lot of modern JRPGs are so weighed down by lore that they collapse into puddle of jargon.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
IMO Celes is the main protagonist and has all the best moments in the game. I don't think the "world of ruin" is a letdown at all, more like overtime in a really competitive game.