• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I remember clealy , I tried to move around but my body felt numb , then I saw two Xenomorphs (it sounds silly but they were featureless , no mouths or eyes or anything , just the figure of one).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I was about 9 years old, sleeping in the top bunk of my bunkbeds. I woke up in the middle of the night, completely frozen, and my closet door rolled all the way open very, very, very slowly, then stayed there for roughly an hour before slowly rolling shut again.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I've had sleep paralysis before, but I've never seen anything.

I've read some horrifying stories, though.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
In the rare instances I have sleep paralysis, I'm either not really dreaming- simply aware that I'm half-awake- or I'm fully immersed in a normal dream with an environment. Can be a flight dream, or narrative dream, or something more off-putting like being stranded in an endless ocean.

Never have had a night terror where I see demons and shit. Thank God for that.

EDIT: The above is not entirely true. I do remember being half-awake one night and seeing a silhouetted Freddy Fazbear in the far corner sitting on a second bed staring at me. I legit didn't care though and went back to sleep.

Last edited:

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I have heard people yelling at me during sleep paralysis, though. It's terrifying.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't see anything, but sounds can sometimes mess with me a bit, like a while back it was super windy out one night and when the sleep paralysis kicked in it basically sounded like a woman screaming directly into my ear until I could move again.

Also I really envy people who've never had it happen to them, back around highschool to college it basically happened to me on a nightly basis for like 5 years straight. It still happens from time to time but now I don't have to dread it literally every time I go to sleep anymore.

Oct 28, 2017
California
This was like 10 years ago. I didn't see anything. Just felt like a heavy weight on my chest and I couldn't move. I started praying to Jesus lmao.

During the period that I had night terrors I never saw anything, but I did hear evil ass laughing once.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had this overwhelming feeling that something bad would happen if I opened my eyes. I worked hard to try and move to break it and eventually did after trying extremely hard to lift my legs. I don't know if it was actual sleep paralysis or a bad dream.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I was about 9 years old, sleeping in the top bunk of my bunkbeds. I woke up in the middle of the night, completely frozen, and my closet door rolled all the way open very, very, very slowly, then stayed there for roughly an hour before slowly rolling shut again.

Wait, you had sleep paralysis for a full hour? Is that normal? I always thought it usually lasted a few minutes at most.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The frog boss from the first level of Alex Kidd in Miracle World.

I was 4 years old and it was the only time I had sleep paralysis.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
A tall shadowy figure in the corner of my room. I couldn't move or speak.

That's been my experience the few times I had it. I do recall one time I actually realized what was happening and willed myself to stop trying to move and went back to sleep. Eventually I woke normally but I was aware of what had happened. But each time theres been this ominous presence watching me at the foot of the bed. Some real fucked up shit.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I never had one, but my sister had multiple. She opened her eyes and saw some demon looking at her with red eyes smiling at her. She said that she tried to scream and move, but couldn't do anything at all.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it was sleep paralysis and not a demonic entity that I foolishly summoned, I woke up and my TV was on with no signal so it was just a blue screen yet my whole room was filled with red light(as if I had a Kenny Rogers' Roasters neon sign outside my window) and there was just this incredibly deep, non-rhythmic thumping noise, it was just a persistent and erratic sound. And I knew there was something to my left just out of my line of sight but I couldn't turn to see it.

I really thought I was going to die.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
First time I had sleep paralysis I never saw anything; was just an annoying feeling. It took a few months before the shadow figure would start appearing, sometimes coming to attack or just kinda hover around, other times running away like I caught him doing something he wasn't supposed to do.

It was maybe last year that I've started to hear voices and such alongside the figures and whatnot. Mostly incoherent nonsense or just like, random noises, but sometimes they'll say a sentence or two. Or just shout my name. I remember one time he was shouting "GO AWAY GO AWAY GO AWAY" over and over until the ordeal passed. He's kind of an asshole

I wrote this story two years ago inspired by sleep paralysis http://thecomicspodcast.com/b/frank-36b8901fc89414/

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you had sleep paralysis for a full hour? Is that normal? I always thought it usually lasted a few minutes at most.

It's hard to be certain, honestly. I've had more than one incident where my brain was still technically in REM state even though my eyes were open and I was able to see. So it's possible I experienced some kind of REM time compression that made a few minutes stretch out into an hour.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
I didn't see anything. Just sensed a terrifying presence in the vicinity. Pretty crazy what your mind assumes in certain situations.

Bulk_Rate

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
the dark in the hallway outside my bedroom door kept coalescing into a black mass, over and over again. each time i looked. Eventually managed to force myself to scream after what seemed a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
I had sleep paralysis once, and this was what I saw:

tenor.gif

LexusNexus

Oct 28, 2017
I've only had it happen one time. I saw crt tv static in the shape of a human standing by my bed. I tried my hardest to turn my head and look away. It lasted about 30 seconds before I could move again

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just a demon screaming in my ear running up to my bed.

You know

The usual

I've had sleep paralysis pretty regularly since I was a kid, probably once or twice every week. Would not recommend.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I saw a shadow figure holding me down, Its was probably my brain trying to figure out a reason why I couldn't move I could make out objects in the room but it was still really dark. Not knowing what sleep paralysis was before that its still the most terrifying experience I've ever had. I thought I was going to die.

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
A white specter standing at the foot of my bed and staring at me. I couldn't see it's face, but I knew it was watching.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
A spider in a heating vent near my bunk bed. I was 6.

I have sleep paralysis every single time I sleep, and the general hallucinations have changed to be much less terrifying. I generally just feel like my vision is obscured by water now, like I'm opening my eyes in a pool.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First time I saw anything was just seeing my room after knowing I was in a sleep paralysis episode. I did try to make it scarier, but I chickened out and broke out of the episode by wiggling my toes. Otherwise, previous episodes were when I still had my eye lids shut and my body is being pulled to the foot of the bed. My favorite is the feeling of a cat on my bed and jumping over my body. Neither of those I saw anything.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
First time was when I was 20. There's a really interesting story behind that one but I'll talk about my second experience instead.

I was about 22, working in a foreign land, renting a small room with a queen bed stuck between two walls where I slept on the edge, facing the wall.

I woke up in the middle of the night, unable to move. I was on my left. Brain is completely clear but my body was not listening to me.

I took deep breaths to calm myself.. I told myself I had experienced this before, and all I needed to do was wait. I'd get muscle control back.

And then I felt someone breathe close to my ear. I froze, and the hairs stood up on my back. I barely had time to react when I felt something.. a person.. lie down behind me and adjust themselves. You know how you can feel that because the mattress shakes, moves and depresses? Yeah. That.

My mind raced. I was like, on one part of my mind just repeating "this is just an illusion" and on the other it felt so real, it was unmistakable that someone or something made its way onto the bed and was lying behind me. I tried to move and couldn't.

As my fear grew, I started panicking. And then I found myself angry, angry that I was afraid. I was like, spirit or ghost, I will fucking face you!!! What can I lose?!!! HUHHHH and then in my anger I wanted to twist my whole body to confront whatever was behind me, and my body listened, I did turn, and nothing was behind me.

I slept with my back pasted to the wall.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
First time I saw anything was just seeing my room after knowing I was in a sleep paralysis episode. I did try to make it scarier, but I chickened out and broke out of the episode by wiggling my toes. Otherwise, previous episodes were when I still had my eye lids shut and my body is being pulled to the foot of the bed. My favorite is the feeling of a cat on my bed and jumping over my body. Neither of those I saw anything.
Crazy. I've had this happen, too. I know these bouts are when I'm more REM sleep than not because shit gets really freaky and surreal ala dream logic.

I swear sometimes I fall off the bed and I can feel like I'm falling off the bed, but when I eventually come out of it, I'm still in bed.

I've also felt a cat once before. Honestly was kind of nice. I enjoy sleeping with a kitty laying next to me.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Growing up as a kid/teen, it was always a very tall, black-as-ink, shadow figure, either at the foot of my bed or standing in the doorway. It would never directly attack me, but on multiple occasions I "hallucinated" I was either being levitated against my will or suddenly felt as though I was falling infinitely. That was pretty terrifying, but the one that terrified me the most was when I was an adult and "hallucinated" that the shadowman basically levitated me and then force pushed me into a bookcase across the room. Luckily, I haven't had an episode in years.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I have the sensation where I can't move and can't wake up but I've never had episodes of spooky stuff happening like some of you are describing. It's just regular old lucid dreams and usually pretty boring ones like school or work. They happen most often when I over sleep. I'm pretty good at jolting myself awake now but it's harder if I sleep with anything over my face (arms, blanket, pillow, etc.)

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
First time I had it I heard a loud thundering voice of a man talk to me saying stuff like:

"I know you can understand what I'm saying" but in arabic.

Then the voice started speaking in gibberish until it disappeared, which then I started to hear screams from far away until those screams started to come from inside me.

Weirdest part is that I was able to move around my bed during all of it.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I used to get this all the time when I was a kid and I eventually grew out of them in my 20s.

When I was little kid, I used to see a witch rise from the floor, who then slowly turned from profile to face me and glide toward me. I tried screaming for my mom and moving, but couldn't move or make a sound as she sat on my chest and whispered things to me.

As I got older in my early teens, it got really weird when it happened. A waving tapestry whose pattern I couldn't make out would fill my entire field of vision that would then slowly envelop me. Or a giant crow with a red eye who shrieked at me.

As I got older, I learned how to wake myself up from them, so they never go to the point of seeing things.

The last time it happened was in my 20s. I had a classic alien abduction scenario, but I knew what was happening and just rolled with it because the whole thing was fascinating. I woke myself up once I go to the ship, because I didn't really want to do the next part.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
I first had it when I was 17. It was also the first time I was alone sleeping in the house, my parents are out of town while my siblings are out for the night. I had a balcony in my room and I felt that something was standing in the balcony looking at me. Couldn't move or do anything so I said fuck it and went back to sleep. I googled it and learned that it was sleep paralysis, and it happened again around 3-4 times so far but I always just sleep through it as I am always aware that's it's not real no matter what monster comes at me.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
I've only had it like once, and while it was terrifying, knowing what it was from reading about it online made it easier to get through it. Can't imagine what it would have been like if I had no idea what the fuck was going on though.

Oct 29, 2017
Funny thing even after graduating the one time I had sleep paralysis again I had this feeling that I had an exam that day, I was late, and of course I couldn't get up so I was going to miss it.

Every time I had sleep paralysis I felt was late for something school related.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I've only had it like once, and while it was terrifying, knowing what it was from reading about it online made it easier to get through it. Can't imagine what it would have been like if I had no idea what the fuck was going on though.

Yeah coming from a very religious background, and having never heard of sleep paralysis as a kid, I genuinely believed for a long time that I encountered a demon. It has literally changed my sleeping habits for years (like needing to have both ears covered while sleeping) and I'm still to this day sticking to some of them.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
First time? I heard a disembodied voice of a woman telling me to be still then I had the blanket pulled over me while feeling like she was sitting on it suffocating me. Fun times haha

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see anything, I was more worried about the paralysis part. I woke up with sweat all over, I never want to feel that again.

Oct 27, 2017
I get sleep paralysis fairly frequently and have for years, and I've never ONCE felt or seen any hint of presence. It's just me stuck in my body, awake in the brain, but nothing sinister or demons or black shapes or any of that. I was floored when I found out it was apparently super common and for most people they go hand in hand.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
That's been my experience the few times I had it. I do recall one time I actually realized what was happening and willed myself to stop trying to move and went back to sleep. Eventually I woke normally but I was aware of what had happened. But each time theres been this ominous presence watching me at the foot of the bed. Some real fucked up shit.
It really is quite disturbing. Thankfully I don't have them as often as some do.
Same. It's only happened to me twice but it was scary as shit
Yep, the first time it happened was probably the most scared I've ever been.