• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
What did you do for your birthday last year (or this year before the shutdown)?

In the why is this place open during covid? thread from yesterday yrr posted about going to the arcade Round1 for their 40th birthday last year, I let them know I would try to start a thread about what we all did for our birthdays last year (or this year before the shutdowns).

Birthdays are always great for me because I am an identical twin, so we usually go pretty hard. Last year we went to a local bar and drank beer and shot pool (this is all I ever want to do, forever). We ended up getting pretty hammered and crashing an after party in the wee hours. Listening to tunes at a buddies house, drinking more beers (I know, I know), throwing down on terrible white-man dance contests, and passing out around 6AM. Unfortunately I had to work the next day, I showed up half hungover, half drunk, but I powered through the day and lived to fight again. It was a great time, and it was a fitting send off before the entire world stopped.

How bout you?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Went out for a nice lunch with my wife and son. Think we had a takeaway and watched a film in the evening.

I'm 43 though so my days of going out all day and night drinking are well in the past. Not that I was big fan of it when I was younger anyway.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like celebrating birthdays so I didn't really do anything special for it. Mostly just wishing people would stop bringing it up haha. Think the Arsenal match was on that day so I probably watched that and then just went about the rest of my day as usual.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My birthday is in a couple weeks. Last year we went to a Karaoke bar that has private rooms. It was super fun. Unfortunately that's obviously a bad idea this year.

I guess for this year I'll try and get people together online to play some RPG or something.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
As always, I had dinner with my family. Or it was lunch? lol

This year I just ordered food and played games, too risky.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Celebrating it with my parents, brother and his wife and kid, having a fantastic dinner and a bunch of beers or wine.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I took a trip to Washington DC for a week. On my actual birthday we went to a very fancy steakhouse for dinner. While we were there the manager came to our table and asked us "Were you the people asking about upstairs?" We had confused looks on our faces, but then he came back 5 minutes later and asked us if we wanted to see the balcony on the top floor anyway, so we got to go up there. There was a very nice view of the Capitol.

This year we had to stay home obviously, but it was by first birthday since our son was born. It was still special to spend it with my wife and son.

OP
OP

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
My wife and I took a trip to Washington DC for a week. On my actual birthday we went to a very fancy steakhouse for dinner. While we were there the manager came to our table and asked us "Were you the people asking about upstairs?" We had confused looks on our faces, but then he came back 5 minutes later and asked us if we wanted to see the balcony on the top floor anyway, so we got to go up there. There was a very nice view of the Capitol.

This year we had to stay home obviously, but it was by first birthday since our son was born. It was still special to spend it with my wife and son.
That sounds great! I've never been to DC, I wish I could travel there in January to see the Biden/Harris inauguration, just to add to the crowd size haha!

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
My birthday is in January, so earlier this year my wife and I had a few friends down for board games, drinks, and a D&D one shot with the potential for a bigger campaign.

I might try to play around with Roll20 in order to continue the campaign with them for my birthday coming up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
My birthday is in January, so earlier this year my wife and I had a few friends down for board games, drinks, and a D&D one shot with the potential for a bigger campaign.

I might try to play around with Roll20 in order to continue the campaign with them for my birthday coming up.
I've never tried Roll20, I gotta do some research though. I haven't scratched my table-top RPG itch in years and years!

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My wife turned 40 last year... I turned 45 this year.. so we had a big Party on the 22nd. of February this year.. 140 people, band, free food, free bar with Drinks served by 2 bartenders.. etc.. we went full out and had a big fucking Party..

The weekend after... Covid-19 happened up here. So that was the last big party people attended.. It still happens that people come up to me and thank me for the last party they went to... lol

I blew a lot of money on that party.. but fuck it, we only live once..

OP
OP

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
My wife turned 40 last year... I turned 45 this year.. so we had a big Party on the 22nd. of February this year.. 140 people, band, free food, free bar with Drinks served by 2 bartenders.. etc.. we went full out and had a big fucking Party..

The weekend after... Covid-19 happened up here. So that was the last big party people attended.. It still happens that people come up to me and thank me for the last party they went to... lol

I blew a lot of money on that party.. but fuck it, we only live once..
Sounds like a proper send off, damn I thought I go hard haha!

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Had lunch with my parents and my girlfriend. Then spent the night at my girlfriend's place.

I don't think I've really properly gone out for my birthday now in about 3 years (currently 26). I imagine this year might be even more subdued due to Covid of course.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Went to MAGFest. Usually it's in my birthday week, so it's what I do to celebrate.

It actually landed on my birthday this year. It was pretty incredible ringing in an extra year by jamming out to David Wise live.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't do anything. I never do anything. I hate birthdays. They're just another reminder that I'm a year older and haven't accomplished anything. It reminds me what a total failure I am.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
We were in Berlin because it was the same weekend as the Berlin Marathon. So it was nice because we were in an interesting foreign city with a vibrant nightlife, but also bad because I felt like I was going to die.

Sovan Jedi

Oct 30, 2017
Southampton, UK
I pretty much live away from my friends and family so the most exciting thing I did last year was go out and play Pokemon Go. Though, even though most of them were strangers they did hear it was my birthday and sung it to me, which I enjoyed. Plus I nabbed a shiny Giratina that day!

This year I actually put in some effort though - I went to visit the city I used to live in 30 years ago and visited a bunch of my old neighbourhoods, parks and shops I remember from my childhood. Surprisingly, the city (Bristol) wasn't just delightful for nostalgia reasons: it's genuinely a beautiful place and I'm really considering moving back there at some point. Of course I couldn't do most of the things I wanted to for obvious reasons, but all the walking really helped my mood and made it a pleasant one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I pretty much live away from my friends and family so the most exciting thing I did last year was go out and play Pokemon Go. Though, even though most of them were strangers they did hear it was my birthday and sung it to me, which I enjoyed. Plus I nabbed a shiny Giratina that day!

This year I actually put in some effort though - I went to visit the city I used to live in 30 years ago and visited a bunch of my old neighbourhoods, parks and shops I remember from my childhood. Surprisingly, the city (Bristol) wasn't just delightful for nostalgia reasons: it's genuinely a beautiful place and I'm really considering moving back there at some point. Of course I couldn't do most of the things I wanted to for obvious reasons, but all the walking really helped my mood and made it a pleasant one.
This thing?
latest

Pretty awesome grab Jedi. That thing is badass.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Watched movies and played video games at home while drinking. Went for a beer with my mum at a pub (first time I'd been to a pub since March).

Then Zoom'd with my partner over dinner as we both ordered takeaway.

I also had socially distanced drinks outside with a few friends a few days before.

Was very low-key and obviously not ideal but I made the best of it by just treating myself.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, last year? I think went with a friend to eat some waffles and walk around. Yeah that was a fun day actually.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
My birthday is actually today (32) and I did nothing last year besides chill with not having to go to work, eat cake, and spend time with my family. This year is nothing new besides maybe order out from Uber Eats.

Kel Varnsen

Oct 31, 2017
Went to a concert w/ friends. This year I would've done the same, but it ofc got postponed to just around my birthday next year, but am afraid April is still to soon for a concert.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
Last year I went to a Carly Rae Jepsen concert on my birthday. This year i just worked and then went home.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Got drunk, ate pizza took the day off and the day after to recover. The standard at 34. When it's a weekend generally either (back when could) a meal and drinks or a night clubbing. My best friend did decide to have his first kid on my birthday though, how rude.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I went out and ate at a Polish restaurant for the first time and the food was good!:D need to go back again sometime when the pandemic is over.

Jan 10, 2018
Dropped the kids off at my parent's for a sleepover then the wife and I went to see The Church of the Cosmic Skull live. a week later COVID hit so we haven't had a night out since.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
This year? I was there for close down on my 40th birthday.
Things are good now though.

Oct 29, 2017
I splurged a little on my last birthday. I used an whole week to spend it. First, I went to eat bbq at International Smoke. The next night, I went to see Janet Jackson perform at Chase Center. The next morning, I flew to LA to attend the Emmy's. From there, I flew to Hawaii for a week. This year was different. I drove up to Napa and did an nice outdoor dinner.

OP
OP

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
I splurged a little on my last birthday. I used an whole week to spend it. First, I went to eat bbq at International Smoke. The next night, I went to see Janet Jackson perform at Chase Center. The next morning, I flew to LA to attend the Emmy's. From there, I flew to Hawaii for a week. This year was different. I drove up to Napa and did an nice outdoor dinner.
Wowza that sounds like one to remember! That is very cool!

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
So yeah, my 40th birthday happened in November 2019. I went to Round1 on Long Island, in somewhat-close proximity to NYC. Round1 is a Japanese-owned chain of amusement centers, featuring a very large arcade, billiards, bowling, karaoke, and a bar with cheap beer and okay food.

The arcade is not your typical arcade, either. Yes, they have a ton of the same redemption games you'd find at Dave & Buster's, but they also have lots of Japanese games that you wouldn't. For starters, they have authentic Japanese UFO catchers with lots of the same prizes you'd win in Japan. They also have lots of Japanese games. You'll see candy cabs running shmups and fighting games old and new. Depending on the location, you might find rare stuff like DariusBurst, Elevator Action Death Parade, Gunslinger Stratos, Magicians Dead, and more. You'll find Initial D and Maximum Tune, the best arcade racers ever. And if you like rhythm games? You'll think you died and went to heaven. They have the latest versions of most of Konami's Bemani catalog, including DanceDanceRevolution, beatmania IIDX, Sound Voltex, DanceRush Stardom, and GITADORA. As in, the very same up-to-date versions available in Japan now. We even got the new DDR anniversary machines and the Lightning Model IIDX cabs. They've also got other titles like Project DIVA Future Tone, WACCA, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Groove Coaster, and probably several others I'm forgetting.

Anyway, while most of North America has seen their arcades disappear, I live in an area where there are still a few arcades around, and I never stopped going, mostly because of step games. They've been my primary form of exercise since the early 2000s, so my gyms are the local DDR and In The Groove 2 cabinets. I spent my 40th birthday surrounded by the friends I invited, drinking beers and playing a bunch of DDR. While there I also ran into a lot of the DDR players in the NY community, including some I hadn't seen in years. My friends and I then went out to dinner at a restaurant in the same mall. It was awesome. I had a blast, and I always look forward to doing that sort of thing again.

Since we have strong regulations here in NY, our Round1 and D&B locations are still closed; of course, I don't actually want to visit until we all get shot, but I couldn't go even if I wanted to. So I invested a few hundred bucks into this: https://www.maty-taneczne.pl/shop/dance-mat-ddr-usb-ex-pro/
And for my 41st birthday I did this: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/804260724
I played the good old DDR boss song MAX300 41 times and raised over $800 for Feeding America. The legs were sore for 2 days afterwards but it was totally worth it.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
My birthday was in January. On the day of I had hotpot with my mom. The next day I had Korean barbecue with friends. And on the weekend I went out to a new restaurant with family. Having a winter birthday means I can't do much outside so my celebrations are usually food based, but I'm not complaining.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
i usually go for a bike ride. an 8h, 130km ride with 2600m of climbing to the 3 local mountains used for skiing. it's to make sure i still have some fitness as i accumulate the years.

didn't do it this year because of lockdowns that prevented me from getting in the training rides needed to get into shape.
don't really celebrate my birthdays otherwise

OP
OP

Deleted member 83122

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
So yeah, my 40th birthday happened in November 2019. I went to Round1 on Long Island, in somewhat-close proximity to NYC. Round1 is a Japanese-owned chain of amusement centers, featuring a very large arcade, billiards, bowling, karaoke, and a bar with cheap beer and okay food.

The arcade is not your typical arcade, either. Yes, they have a ton of the same redemption games you'd find at Dave & Buster's, but they also have lots of Japanese games that you wouldn't. For starters, they have authentic Japanese UFO catchers with lots of the same prizes you'd win in Japan. They also have lots of Japanese games. You'll see candy cabs running shmups and fighting games old and new. Depending on the location, you might find rare stuff like DariusBurst, Elevator Action Death Parade, Gunslinger Stratos, Magicians Dead, and more. You'll find Initial D and Maximum Tune, the best arcade racers ever. And if you like rhythm games? You'll think you died and went to heaven. They have the latest versions of most of Konami's Bemani catalog, including DanceDanceRevolution, beatmania IIDX, Sound Voltex, DanceRush Stardom, and GITADORA. As in, the very same up-to-date versions available in Japan now. We even got the new DDR anniversary machines and the Lightning Model IIDX cabs. They've also got other titles like Project DIVA Future Tone, WACCA, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Groove Coaster, and probably several others I'm forgetting.

Anyway, while most of North America has seen their arcades disappear, I live in an area where there are still a few arcades around, and I never stopped going, mostly because of step games. They've been my primary form of exercise since the early 2000s, so my gyms are the local DDR and In The Groove 2 cabinets. I spent my 40th birthday surrounded by the friends I invited, drinking beers and playing a bunch of DDR. While there I also ran into a lot of the DDR players in the NY community, including some I hadn't seen in years. My friends and I then went out to dinner at a restaurant in the same mall. It was awesome. I had a blast, and I always look forward to doing that sort of thing again.

Since we have strong regulations here in NY, our Round1 and D&B locations are still closed; of course, I don't actually want to visit until we all get shot, but I couldn't go even if I wanted to. So I invested a few hundred bucks into this: https://www.maty-taneczne.pl/shop/dance-mat-ddr-usb-ex-pro/
And for my 41st birthday I did this: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/804260724
I played the good old DDR boss song MAX300 41 times and raised over $800 for Feeding America. The legs were sore for 2 days afterwards but it was totally worth it.
Thanks for the story my friend! That place sounds like a damn good time, drinking with the buddies and getting a workout haha! After making the thread I have learned that lots of members live pretty large on their b-days, but I think your story is the tops. It is very cool for you to raise some money for charity on twitch (i have a twitch account but I rarely visit the site, I'll have to get back there more). Thanks again for the thread idea and the story!

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't celebrated my birthday in a long time, just don't see a reason.

If my friends want to go get something to eat because of it I don't say no though.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Had my parents, grand parents and the parents of my girlfriend over for tee/coffee.

I'm not really a fan of stuff like that. Would rather spend my birthday without visitors. Now we thinking about how we will do it this year.
Would have to invite them in 3 different groups/at different times..

Illithid Dude

Oct 26, 2017
rented out the same bungalow at the chateau marmont that belushi croaked in. 250 people came. i am now blacklisted at the chateau.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Spent the day with my wife and kids. Took the train into the city and went for dinner and drinks with friends in the evening.

This year was just the first part, for obvious reasons.