• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the first part of the question it is these two.....

latest

small_logo.png

These two use to be apart of my top three favorite developers, but by the end of this past gen I pretty much stop caring about much of their current and future. FromSoftware in particular I figured they weren't really for me anymore a bit earlier than Blizzard in during the gen. Main reason why for FromSoftware is because I was a fan of their mecha titles, mainly Armored Core but I did enjoy the others like A.C.E. series, Chromehounds, and Gundam Unicorn. Mecha game were pretty much my favorite "type" of game but they stopped producing them after the success of the Souls series....which obvious worked incredible well for them and even though there is suppose to be a new Armored Core in development I just don't think they'll produce as much as the same titles that I use to love as I'm not a fan of their current output.

In Blizzard's case it's more that I've grown out of what they make. I love Starcraft 2 like I played that shit for several years and I played Overwatch for a while when it came out but after a year I dropped it and started not to care about what Blizzard was producing. Stuff like Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 have about zero interest to me right now. Most important thing to mention is Blizzard's bullshit when they banned Blitzchung because of their mention of the Hong Kong protest. I think that was the point when I was done with them.

As for a developer that I became a fan of.....

array-59552eae636dd.jpg

I liked a lot of the first Dishonored but 2 and Outsiders(which I played recently) set the bar a lot higher. What really got me though was Prey. I didn't a lot of expectation for it as before playing I've heard it was like System Shock and I never had played that game before, but once I p0layed Prey I was hooked. The atmosphere, cool ass abilities and exploration I just loved all of it. One of my favorites from this past gen absolute and their next game Deathloop looks to be another banger as well.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I've not completely written them off, but I'm much less of a fan of Intelligent Systems due to the last decade. The games are just not nearly as good / to my taste.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've pretty much lost all interest in Sony as a publisher these days. They let Bloodborne die on the vine and don't seem to have any intention of making or publishing any major Japanese titles anymore. They've basically become a Western publisher that makes Astro Bot games sometimes, and I'm so bored of their output.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft

I'm just not interested. And to add to my disapproval of their games their management was the icing on the cake

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've gone from being a die hard CDPR fan after (at least to me) they knocked it out of the park on every regard I care for with Witcher 3 to now seeing the clear ceiling for them. They've shown their ass too much with Cyberpunk. Any future game from theirs I'm going back to doubt until proven otherwise.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Arkane are a great developer that i now love, same for the dragon studio for the Yakuza series, and the Hades developers Supergiant games.

The only dev I fell out of love with is Bioware. I love mass effect, kotor, and enjoy dragon age. But man this gen was an absolute shitshow for them and EA mostly as a whole.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard with their BlitzChung thing and how they made MTX the norm (and they are part of Activison).
Ubisoft because fuck Yves.

And then nothing changed. CDPR can surely eat a bag of dicks but never cared about their games and became fans of
many Indies devs in general

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Rockstar Games and Konami (more their decision than mine).

Annapurna Interactive for favorite. They are just making game specifically for me, almost scary 😅

QuantumDream

Oct 31, 2017
I won't say I've lost complete interest but I am very disappointed with Valve. Last gen we had Half Life 2 with its episodic DLC, Left4dead 1, 2 and Portal 1 and 2. This gen after a long absence they made Half Life Alyx and that's cool but I do not have a VR headset.

Last edited:

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lost interest in 343/Coalition. They've clearly got a ton of talent but being stuck as Halo/Gears factories hurts them imo. MS need to let them branch out.

Lost interest in Bioware. although technically that started last gen with mass effect 2/3 and dragon age 2...bit Anthem, Inquisition and Andromeda were the last 3 nails in that coffin for me.

Lost interest in From Software...just not much interest in that Souls template anymore really. A lot is riding on Elden Ring for me. If it's just Souls game in another universe Its going to be hard to care.

Gained interest in Larian. They've made 2 of the best RPG'S out there. And did so while including co-op. Love that studio and can't wait for BG3 and whatever they have planned in the future.

Gained interest in Bend. I've not really liked their output since Syphon Filter 1-3 on PS1 but I loved Days Gone. Really excited to see where they go with it.

Gained interest in Nintendo. Frankly I've hated Nintendo since the N64. Their consoles all felt like gimmicks or duds and I admit I wrote the switch off as being one too but I'm happy to admit i was wrong and their output this gen, regardless of how port-tastic it sometimes feels, has been excellent. I have more switch games then Xbox games and I never thought I'd see the day.

There's 3 of each. I'm sure there are more tbh.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I lost interest in CDPR, Bioware and Ubisoft and my faith in Cristal Dynamics and Eidos it's vanishing...and in this gen From Software and Platinum became my favorites developers and Capcom is almost there too. Square Enix is in a strange position for me, they used to be my favorites, but now they are kind of in the space between I love and I don't have interest.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
Ubisoft. Big bloated open world everything, and then the sexual harassment put the final nail in the coffin for me.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know if I would call myself a EA "fan" but in the PS360 they output was amazing ( Mass Effect, Dead Space, Mirrors Edge, Burnout Paradise, BF Bad Company, FIFA online, Crysis, etc etc ) and all of the sudden their output became mediocre to not say awful.

I became a Guerrilla Games fan after Horizon Zero Dawn and Frozen Wild. The Forbidden West is already my most awaited title for 2021 !
Oh and add Bluepoint games I would love to see they working on new versions of my favorite games forever !

Last edited:

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Gained interest in CD Project (The Witcher 3), From Software (Started with Bloodborne), and Guerilla (Horizon).

I can't think of devs I've lost interest in.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm super excited about what Suckered Punch do next. I never played one of their games before Ghost of Tsushima, but that was my goty.

I never played a From game before Bloodborne now I absolutely adore all the souls games.

Bethesda and Bioware are two studios I loved last gen and was completely disappointed in this gen.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I do not hate them or anything, but Koei Tecmo has lost me pretty hard in recent years. I am sure I will be back again for the next Ninja Gaiden title whenever that happens, but I am fed up with them constantly failing their Team Ninja fans especially and I have no interest in Ni-Oh games.

Dotemu went from a shoddy port house to publishing some legendary remakes and revivals. Streets of Rage 4 is genuinely one of the greatest action games of all time.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
EA Sports outside NHL94 rewind I'm just bored with them since the end of PS3 /360 I tried to get into their games early in the PS4/XB1 but I think it was their worst generation of sports games no innovation
NBA2K and MLBThe Show had some good moments this past Gen.

I think Insomniac really jumped up to one of my favorites going into this generation
Sunset Overdrive my favorite of the 3
Ratchet/Clank
Marvel's Spider Man

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
GameFreak. XY and ORAS were alright, but in hindsight also the beginning of the end. I was really excited for SM in the beginning because I thought the setting was amazing. It turned out to be games devoid of ambition, passion and any sense of adventure. Still bought USUM in the hope they would reel me back in again. But I dropped them before I even reached the third island. I think it was the cave before you reached Olivia's town that broke me. In and out in 10 minutes and illustrative for the entire game: Not a grand adventure spanning an entire region, but a literal walk in the park.

Sword and Shield manage to somehow look even more mediocre.

BioWare should be mentioned as well. Inquisition was released at the turn of the generation and I actually enjoyed it a lot. Yet at the same time there was something about their writing and characters started to turn me off. BioWare was once the king of believable character writing, but nowadays their characters just come across as annoyingly tropey? I couldn't be arsed to pick up Andromeda even if the gameplay is apparently really good. And the less said about Anthem the better.

Studios I became interested in are FromSoft (DS1, DS3 and Bloodborne), Larian (mainly DOS2, though the first one was good as well) and Team Ninja (Nioh 2 was amazing and my GOTY 2020).

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I stopped being a fan od Nippon ichi Software when more decent JRPGs started appearing and they went unremarkable licensing weeaboo jank.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Bungie. I was a massive fan during their Halo days but I'm just not into the concept behind Destiny.

As for the opposite, after Inside I think Playdead are one of my favorite studios. Playground games as well.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I'm super excited about what Suckered Punch do next. I never played one of their games before Ghost of Tsushima, but that was my goty.

I never played a From game before Bloodborne now I absolutely adore all the souls games.

Bethesda and Bioware are two studios I loved last gen and was completely disappointed in this gen.
Damn shame you can't play Sly Cooper without PSNow via streaming unless you have a PS3. Sly 2 is such a great game. Infamous are also great games, but only Second Song (and First Light) are playable on PS4/5 and while they still hold up visually aren't quite as good imo as the original two.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Became a fan of Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios this gen with Yakuza 0.
Only worked my way through 0, Kiwami and 6 so far but I bought 3-5 and Dead Souls on the PS3 back when I fell in love with 0. Then of course they released remastered versions on the PS4 lol. I'll eventually pick those remastered versions too. Just bought and started Kiwami 2 yesterday.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Lost interest in Vanillaware. I liked their beat-em-ups, but that Aegis Rim game is literally everything I never wanted.

I don't know if I'd say I became a "fan of the dev" per se, but Guerrilla and Sucker Punch have definitely impressed me and made me look forward to their future project. Same with Respawn with Jedi Fallen Order.

Was already a fan of From Software and Arkane since the PS360 days so that hasn't changed with the last gen.

Team Ninja (Nioh 2 was amazing and my GOTY 2020).
Oh, that's a good one. Although, Nioh is dead for now. :(

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Lost interest in Konami, kinda losing interest all PS360 gen, but they still released some great stuff, I don't care at all for them nowadays.

Gained interest in Bungie, Halo was never really my thing, couldn't ever really hold my attention. I have like over 2000 hours in D1 and D2, by far my most played games ever.
RGG Studios too, played Yakuza 1 on PS2 and just kinda forgot all about the series, then Yakuza 0 happens, I go on a 2 year long Yakuza binge and have a new all-time favorite series.

Also gained interest and lost interest in CDPR, didn't like Witcher 1 or 2 much, loved Witcher 3 and it's 2 expansions and have no interest in Cyberpunk 2077 or anything else they've done since.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
Lost interest in:
SNK - Trashy designs, losing a lot of what I liked about the games visually. The transition into 3D still feels rough. Animations are looking ok in fights but the general aesthetics doesn't give the same feelings as the 2D art. The sexualisation of characters feels out of control and really bad.
Bungie - Played heaps of Destiny and Destiny 2. I definitely enjoyed a lot of it. There is nothing else quite like it and I'm glad I've played them. I just feel that the did great on gameplay but much of the game design such as currency, tower, progression, GAAS content generation, rewards etc didn't land well with me. After two games and significant time investment I'm incredibly burnt out on the gameplay which is the only part that kept me going back.

Gained interest in:
Chucklefish - Games are both beautiful and fun.
Supergiant - I was late to the party in playing Transistor and Pyre, both are fantastic. Hades is on my to play list real soon and I heard nothing but praise for it. The art looks wonderful too.
Capcom - I mean, I've always been a fan I guess. But they definitely reminded me of why with RE2, RE7, MH and I haven't even got to DMC5 yet.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Lost interest in: Konami. Fuck them for what they did to my beloved Silent Hill.
Bethesda.
Bioware.

New fan of: Sucker Punch. It didn't dawn on me until I played Ghost of Tsushima and a good portion of their previous titles were near the top of my GOTY lists. They just make the types of games that I find incredibly fun to play with all the Infamous games, Sly Cooper, and now Ghost. They have a fan in me for life.

Capcom got off my shit list with RE7 and DMC5.

Obsidian. The Outer Worlds was an amazing experience as someone who constantly tried and failed to get into Fallout over the years.

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't bring myself to give a shit about upcoming projects from Bethesda Game Studios. They've shown that they're quite happy to just coast on the same old stuff and use the brand names to sell their games without any proper evolution or refinement. I feel the rest of the industry has caught up with and surpassed them.
I'm more than happy to be proven wrong, but the fact I'm a PS5 owner means their products probably won't even be available to me anyway.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Gained interest in Larian and InExile. Both made rpgs I really enjoyed. Loved both Original Sin games and Bard's Tale 4.

Lost interest in Nintendo. Breath of the Wild was good, but I gave up on Mario Odyssey and Paper Mario. The horizon looks barren outside of the next Zelda.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Bioware is absolutely dead. No confidence, don't care about anything they have coming.

Became a fan again of Vanillaware after they completely lost me with Dragon's Crown on PS3/Vita. 13 Sentinels and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir are two of the best games of the entire PS4 generation. Easy top 10 picks.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
EA fell off pretty hard thanks to Bioware's woes and what happened to Criterion and Visceral. Titanfall 2 and Jedi: Fallen Order were their only real saving graces for me in recent years (I like the look of Squadrons too).

Agree that Arkane really cemented themselves with Dishonored 2/Mark of the Outsider and Prey as one of my favourite studios. I came into the gen already having loved Dishonored and they got better from there. I really hope Deathloop stands up to that pedigree.

Johnzyboi

Nov 10, 2018
BioWare and Sony. I enjoyed Dragon Age Inquisiton but even then I felt like something was off. For Sony I'm not a fan of triple A cinematic games they been doing. I know they are well made but I miss the weird experimental games they used to do during the PS2 and PS3 eras.

I became a huge fan of Annapurna and Next Level Games.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lost some interest in Suckerpunk, Insomniac, and Guerrilla Games. Felt like their output has been less exciting/interesting this generation compared to last.

Gained a lot more interest in Capcom with RE7 and the next game

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The BIG one for lost is Bungie. Seventh gen they were probably my favorite western AAA developer. Halo 3 is one of the few ultra hyped, marketed big games that actually lived up to the hype and felt like a totally complete package that gave you your money's worth and then some. Halo Reach has one of the best FPS campaigns of all-time. I played vanilla Destiny 1 for significantly less than like 10 hours and decided it wasn't for me. Too grindy, too inaccessible, too GaaS-y at a time in my life where I definitely didn't have time for GaaS. I haven't touched anything Destiny since and have no interest in ever doing so.

As for another one.....hm, I'll still pick up their games since they both give me things unlike anything else in the industry, but I have significantly less faith in Square Enix's mainline FF team and Game Freak. I'm a weirdo who liked FF13 but the FF people have yet to produce a real time combat system that feels as satisfying as something like Kingdom Hearts or Ys to me. And Game Freak is well.....kinda self explanatory. There's also the Paper Mario team if that counts, but Fire Emblem is as good as ever so I still view Intelligence Systems positively even if they are no longer at their gen 6 heights.

For become a fan of, a couple indie studios. Freebird games and Sam Barlow, namely, have some of my favorite narratives in the industries.

I was already a fan of both of them, but Insomniac and Ryu ga Gotoku Studios did come out of this gen with more favorable opinions than I had of them before. They went from making unmemorably good games to memorably good games, if that makes sense.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
It hurts but Bioware. DA I, Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem were their output this gen. Im still hopeful for ME 4 and the Remasters, Bioware isnt a developer that excites me immediately any more.

Became a big fan of Larian and InXile. Divinity OS2 and Wasteland 3 are some of the best RPGs of the decade. Baldur's Gate 3 looks fantastic and I'm excited for AAA InXile in 4-5 years.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
+gained a whole lotta interest in FROM, having missed on on them during the ps360 years
+arkane is another one, i loved prey so much

-at the moment, it's hard to imagine buying another CDPR game even though i enjoyed witcher 3 immensely. i'm just kind of disgusted with them
-i'll probably never buy another bethesda game studios title again either. after enjoying fallout 3 i thought F4 was a miserable slog, people say the shooting is better but tbh that isn't saying much. i didn't have any fun with the core gameplay and the story is remarkably bad. like, they could have given some MFA students a few grand to fix it, that level of bad is just carelessness.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Oh, that's a good one. Although, Nioh is dead for now. :(
True, but I am very interested in their next project... whatever it will be. An RPG like Nioh would be best. But even an action adventure like Ninja Gaiden has my interest. Which is notable because before Nioh 2 I wouldn't have cared in the least.

Whatever it is, if it has the same deep and satisfying combat as Nioh, as well as the cool monster designs, I'm in.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Lost interest in Naughty Dog, Bioware, Blizzard, a little bit in Ubisoft, and lost complete interest in Bungie/Destiny.

Have become a fan of Japanese devs, only started playing Yakuza series, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, etc in the past 2-3 years. I only had exposure to mainstream stuff like Final Fantasy so having a ton of japanese games to explore has been fantastic as western devs have been a bit disappointing in 2020.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I used to be a huge Valve fan, I considered them one of my favorite developers along side Nintendo.

But after Portal 2, for almost an entire decade (which, wow, makes me feel old..), there wasn't a single Valve game I cared about until Half-Life: Alyx (which I haven't played yet because I can't afford to upgrade my graphics card/buy a PC VR setup right now, but I definitely will as soon as I'm able to). I really hope Half-Life: Alyx is an indication they're turning a corner and will start making games I care about again.

After some stumbles the recent Resident Evil games feel like Capcom is back, so that's nice to see.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
They're not totally forgone for me, but watching the degeneration of Bethesda Softwork's games has me suspicious of Starfield and ES6. I'll still play them, but my expectations are low.

I also became a huge fan of Arkane. I liked Dark Messiah well enough when it came out, but I didn't get to Dishonored until after Dishonored 2 came out, and by that point I was pretty on board with whatever they had planned for the future. Then they released Prey and Death of the Outsider, which are both incredible. DotO is a fantastic, highly polished distillation of Dishonored as a series, and I think Prey is arguably the -shock subgenre perfected.