• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If SF6 had better projectiles (keep anti-projectile good too though, maybe improve that some too), less advantage on light attacks, and more blockstun, I think that would solve a good number of things

Older SF games and CvS had blickstun=hitstun, tick-throw prevention frames, footsies/non-stubby medium/heavy attacks, faster walk speeds, invulnerable DPs, and/or more pushback. Capcom knows how to make an SF I'd enjoy, but SFV just fundamentally went the wrong way across the board (for me).

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think overall they did succeed in making street fighter 5 easier to play, though.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
remove being +on blocked vtrigger cancel and take out slide into vtriggers. kkthxbye
zeku

OP
OP
Bob White

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
The thing I don't like about V triggers is the install nature of them, that's what leads to comebacks that are too easy to do.

This is what I feel too. EX specials or very good buttons into v trigger cancel that's an install means you can just throw them out randomly. It's literally brain dead ass shit. Did it hit? Combo... Did he block? Pressure string.

If more v triggers were like Cammy's V trigger 2, maybe things wouldn't be so hectic during late round neutral.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
there is literally nothing wrong with designing a game centered around having to know the ins and outs of your main.
It is when it isn't balanced....

Not to get too much into tiers and all that, but the top tier of SFV are too superior to lower tiers in the cast. If you disagree eh, I've been down that argument too many times tbh.

Crayon yes they did. One of the great achievements of SFV. You should have complex characters, but not able to consistently do a 1 frame link shouldn't hold you back. Although I'm not against having them in.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Comeback mechanics aren't going anywhere. At best, they should be reserved for a flashy super that beginners can mash out on wakeup or in neutral (Ultras, Rage Arts, Fatal Blows). Although I love V-Triggers in SFV, they're way too good which impacts intermediate and expert play.
Sounded really good on paper. But then you realise that they locked a lot of the fun stuff behind a V-Trigger and that "V-Trigger activation" is still a universal mechanic that benefits some more than others.
Like...I kinda like the idea, but the implementation is the problem.
You guys get me lol...The 50/50 situation in SFV just killed it for me. I can only play in short burst now. Speaking of, when the next update I haven't played in months?

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Complaining about grabs in fighting games? What year is it?

Without grabs it would be completely impossible to open people up. Do people just have a problem with pressure of any kind existing in a fighting game?
Well there are good grabs and bad grabs:

bad grabs - untechable, 0 frame, extremely easy to do (for example can do it whilst running in and just pressing a button), no "balancing" (can do it again on first available frame opponent gets up) etc. This is exactly what the grabs in Samurai Showdown 2 are like.

good grabs - balanced just enough to be a threat, but not untechable or abusable.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
A lot of people online can't even block crossups properly. Some people refuse to level up, so devs give them the illusion that they stand a chance of winning. But maybe that was never a good idea from the start.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Well there are good grabs and bad grabs:

bad grabs - untechable, 0 frame, extremely easy to do (for example can do it whilst running in and just pressing a button), no "balancing" (can do it again on first available frame opponent gets up) etc. This is exactly what the grabs in Samurai Showdown 2 are like.

good grabs - balanced just enough to be a threat, but not untechable or abusable.
name some of these nebulous evil grabs plaguing the fgc

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
remove being +on blocked vtrigger cancel and take out slide into vtriggers. kkthxbye
zeku
Zeku slide into vtrigger is actual minus if he late cancels it (which is what most people do to make sure they're not cancelling into VT on hit). You can learn how it looks and take your turn with a bit of practice.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with not having comeback mechanics is it makes matches snowball. You have a health disadvantage, something to offset that so you aren't just screwed and still have a fair chance to make a comeback keeps things tense. Though I think FGC peeps want that kind of thing.
I do agree that the big cinematic attacks should be removed, but you can't sell actual fighting game gameplay.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched the video yet, but that's really not the main goal of comeback mechanics, at least not anymore. A large part of it is to add excitement to the viewership and hype for the players themselves. I think many mechanics in these games exist for that purpose. X-Factor, V-Trigger, Fatal Blow, Sparking Blast, etc. make the viewers excited and bring swings to a match that make them more interested in watching.

It's the same reason certain character archetypes and playstyles have been deemphasized in modern fighting games, building games around rushdown and getting in on the opponent, because that's what viewers like to watch the most.

FighterZ is pretty much the epitome of all of these issues put together, but people like to bag on SFV for it.
Supers and EX attacks generally serves this purpose anyway.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
See the excitement and sense of accomplishment when Abigail CC confirm into VT. And yes this combo did kill
giphy.gif

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Zeku slide into vtrigger is actual minus if he late cancels it (which is what most people do to make sure they're not cancelling into VT on hit). You can learn how it looks and take your turn with a bit of practice.
I know, thats why i seperated + after blocked cancel and slides. slides should not be able to get cancelled into vtrigger period imo. its just something that i don't like to see

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
That's not a hot take. I spent 20 years helping build the fighting game scene in this country. Comeback mechanics as they were implemented in IV and V are a severe detriment to the game and scene as a whole.
Yet SFIV was the game with the biggest boom in the scene, and the Tekken game that introduced similar type of comeback mechanic is also the Tekken game with the biggest ever Tekken scene in the west. I hate comeback mechanics as much as the next guy, but lets not kid our selves, if they didn't bring more people into the games, they at least didn't prevent the scenes from growing.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
See the excitement and sense of accomplishment when Abigail CC confirm into VT. And yes this combo did kill
giphy.gif

TBF, you did get crush countered in the corner versus a player at full resources playing a character who's entire theme is big damage. Can't be too shocked that he combo'ed you into super for the win.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading some of these takes and people thinking they know what the hell a mechanic actually is
tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017
It is when it isn't balanced....

Not to get too much into tiers and all that, but the top tier of SFV are too superior to lower tiers in the cast. If you disagree eh, I've been down that argument too many times tbh.

This is kind of my problem with the game. I'm not a tier whore but the balancing practices are really quite questionable. They've consistently reinforced the top tiers and screwed over the bottom tiers. Even that wouldn't bother me - I'm happy to play Vega and Alex, but then they decided to start stripping out key features of those characters. I think it was in season 2 where they just straight-up removed 3/4 of Vega's meaties and, half a season later, they neutered his combos with a weird change to his wall dive.

I'd rather play Tekken where everyone has broken stuff.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
giphy.gif
Just gonna mention that this wouldn't kill in the current iteration of SF5, both crush counters and v-trigger cancels add extra scaling to the combo now.

And SF5 balancing is pretty good when you consider the character variety that you see in top 8s. In the 3rd Strike days, top 8s would usually only have 1-2 players using someone that weren't the holy trinity, and even then it was usually the same few upper mid-tier characters.

SUPARNOVAX

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Reading some of these takes and people thinking they know what the hell a mechanic actually is
tenor.gif
Yeah, I mean everyone's entitled to their own opinion, too. I guess.

Yet SFIV was the game with the biggest boom in the scene, and the Tekken game that introduced similar type of comeback mechanic is also the Tekken game with the biggest ever Tekken scene in the west. I hate comeback mechanics as much as the next guy, but lets not kid our selves, if they didn't bring more people into the games, they at least didn't prevent the scenes from growing.
Those games boomed because of the fighting game drought. These titles reinvigorated the genre and all the flashiness and comeback mechanics were just icing on the cake.

I love both Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter V, but if anyone were to ask me which game I prefer (I hate comeback mechanics too), I will pick SFV over 4 any day. You can't even utilize as much % of the roster to compete in SF4 compared to SFV.

This is kind of my problem with the game. I'm not a tier whore but the balancing practices are really quite questionable. They've consistently reinforced the top tiers and screwed over the bottom tiers. Even that wouldn't bother me - I'm happy to play Vega and Alex, but then they decided to start stripping out key features of those characters. I think it was in season 2 where they just straight-up removed 3/4 of Vega's meaties and, half a season later, they neutered his combos with a weird change to his wall dive.

I don't completely agree with this. It is easier to balance SFV characters because of individual VTriggers than it is to balance SF4 characters. What is there to change for SF4 characters? You can only go so far in modifying hit/hurt boxes and frame advantage when there are already more lopsided (6-4, 7-3) match ups than there are in SFV. Almost half the characters don't benefit greatly from focus attack cancels. You need to burn red focus attack cancels to get some nice confirms, but they are so scaled and gimped by that point in USF4.

I've been playing a lot more USF4 lately with the USF4 Revival discord and randoms. It doesn't spark that competitive juice for me anymore after SFV came out. I can pick up almost any character in SFV, learn a template of things for those characters and get right in without fearing very bad match ups.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

I think the balance is mostly good in this game, but Capcom definitely creates problems for characters for no reason. Vega as you mentioned, Alex getting neutered just because after Season 1. The fact that Juri could be even more solid than she already is while still remaining mid tier with literally 2 or 3 QOL fixes (why does her medium DP just decide not to land sometimes?) etc but then they decide to give Rashid more oki because....?

It's perplexing when they make some good choices, especially this season, only to fuck up in the most obvious ways elsewhere.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Man, sometimes I have to realize at least I had a whole season of top tier Ken and throw loops in the corner after that. What they did to Vega, Ryu, etc...is just a travesty. Again, on paper, they might be looking at the characters and saying they are balanced. But when V-trigger are so unique, and how each character utilizes tools so different, they got increasingly worse with every season when characters like Cammy and Mika kept getting buffed to where they almost never had a low tier season. I'm still not sure how Capcom was even balancing as there foreward for SFV was "they aren't going to nerf really but buff weaker characters". Not sure when that changed, but yeah, I'm pretty much done with the game until 6 at this point. The game DOES NOT reward you for sticking with a favorite lol.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Those of you saying you don't want comeback mechanics...what? Only the opponent gets it? Lol...who's stopping you from using the same tools?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Those of you saying you don't want comeback mechanics...what? Only the opponent gets it? Lol...who's stopping you from using the same tools?
what? How does this argue against the tool being bad?

LakeEarth and others on balance I agree SFV is balanced* but it's always compared to something else. The previous iterations, maybe past SF games where Chun/twins dominated etc...If you have a cast of 50, 45 should be viable. That's what I'm looking for. Not this big gap between top tier and low tier. Hell, even middle of the pack IMO is too far away from top. Playing offline helps some, but I'm not into that scene anymore. Tournaments have variety because they keep changing the top 10 of the game lol, it's not 'you can play with anyone and still reach the mountain top.'

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Comeback mechanics should go. But it makes bad people happy having a mechanic that lets them do big damage and makes them think they're a good player.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Man, sometimes I have to realize at least I had a whole season of top tier Ken and throw loops in the corner after that. What they did to Vega, Ryu, etc...is just a travesty. Again, on paper, they might be looking at the characters and saying they are balanced. But when V-trigger are so unique, and how each character utilizes tools so different, they got increasingly worse with every season when characters like Cammy and Mika kept getting buffed to where they almost never had a low tier season. I'm still not sure how Capcom was even balancing as there foreward for SFV was "they aren't going to nerf really but buff weaker characters". Not sure when that changed, but yeah, I'm pretty much done with the game until 6 at this point. The game DOES NOT reward you for sticking with a favorite lol.

Mika never got buffed lmao. She has been constantly nerfed since season 1. Heck The only real mika main doing well this year is luffy and even then he still struggle in a lot of mu. Mika was nerfed in season 2 and 3 and was called dead by the majority of people. Heck most top tier have been nerfed even cammy got nerfed this season. The favorite part is also not true at all since its pretty much depend on what character you are playing. Top tier will be nerfed whatever the character they are. Heck even akuma one of the most popular character got nerfed. SFV isnt perfect but man sometimes I feel like people dont know what game they are talking about. Also SFV is easily one of the most balanced game atm. The majority of the cast is viable. Again I feel like people dont watch tournament or dont really follow the game.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
As far as mechanics(not necessarily comeback), no parry and no crush counter. 2 of the worst additions to the series

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is Cammy still stupid good? Feels like people have been complaining about her since the game came out.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Mika never got buffed lmao. She has been constantly nerfed since season 1. Heck The only real mika main doing well this year is luffy and even then he still struggle in a lot of mu. Mika was nerfed in season 2 and 3 and was called dead by the majority of people. Heck most top tier have been nerfed even cammy got nerfed this season. The favorite part is also not true at all since its pretty much depend on what character you are playing. Top tier will be nerfed whatever the character they are. Heck even akuma one of the most popular character got nerfed. SFV isnt perfect but man sometimes I feel like people dont know what game they are talking about.
what? Mika has been consistently good. Cammy has been great/top tier for the majority of the game's release. That's my point. I'm not talking about nerfs/buffs and change list in a vacuum, I'm talking about the game's full rosters never being truly balanced and the same characters always being consistently good when Vega has been bad since S1. Ryu went from top tier to bottom in one season etc...The balance is whacky. And the top 1% of the population who plays the game isn't the only measuring stick for balance. Case in point Bison and Balrog are considerably harder to defend against online that offline, and almost need separate tiers (online tier/offline tier) to classify how good they are. And if you happen to pick a favorite that didn't hit the top tier lottery, how is what I said not true? You aren't going to get rewarded for sticking it out when your fav, it's just randomly based on Capcom's tweaks.

Toxi she was finally nerfed this season but she's still good.

Last edited:

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Vega wasnt bad at all in season 1 and 2.1. Heck nemo made top8 at freaking evo 2016 with vega. The only reason you keep seeing the same character winning is because the same players are constanstly doing well at tournament. Not only that but Barely anyone plays cammy now legit every cammy main dropped her. Same thing with mika you barely see her in top8 since season 2. The only mika doing well with her since season 2 were Fuudo and Luffy. Mika and cammy are good but they are not op at all. Heck even Ryu is mid tier this season. Balance isnt perfect same thing with capcom but its far from being bad.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
GTOAkira overall agreed the game is in the best shape it's ever been in. But again with the balance thing, I would just say Pro-level isn't the only barometer I look at. Most of all though, SFV IMO, had the potential to be a much more cerebral, balanced game so I'm just disappointed where it ended up. If you check the old forum, I and a few others were literally white knighting the game! I used to play for hours with Flux/Count and thought it was amazing that I could actually pull a win off against the Pro's online. SFV is still my most played fighter outside of Virtua Fighter 5. Just wish it accomplished more. And getting into more intricate levels of it's system. Throw reaction being so hard to react to and the 50/50 make it very guess-based and that's a huge turn off for me.

OP
OP
Bob White

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Is Cammy still stupid good? Feels like people have been complaining about her since the game came out.

She's still really good... but she doesn't play "SFV"

No crush counter during neutral and no neutral dominating v trigger. Her walk speed and general game game plan is fine...until the opponent gets v trigger and starts punishing her low health/stun. She's not good "late round" when you have other characters like Kolin or Bison just doing whatever they want. She's strong but she struggles.

Looking at WHY she struggles pin points why I dislike SFV

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
GTOAkira overall agreed the game is in the best shape it's ever been in. But again with the balance thing, I would just say Pro-level isn't the only barometer I look at. Most of all though, SFV IMO, had the potential to be a much more cerebral, balanced game so I'm just disappointed where it ended up. If you check the old forum, I and a few others were literally white knighting the game! I used to play for hours with Flux/Count and thought it was amazing that I could actually pull a win off against the Pro's online. SFV is still my most played fighter outside of Virtua Fighter 5. Just wish it accomplished more.
I can understand that. I love the game since it got me in the fgc but I understand that its not everyone's game. I feel like thats the thing with SF game in general. Each SF game is unique and not everyone will be into it. SFV isnt perfect at all but I still love it very much.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I can understand that. I love the game since it got me in the fgc but I understand that its not everyone's game. I feel like thats the thing with SF game in general. Each SF game is unique and not everyone will be into it. SFV isnt perfect at all but I still love it very much.
Hey man, hopefully I'll see you in SF6! lol...V will always have a place in my heart as well. I had S1 Ken and throw loops in the corner for a year! and for half a second a safe on block OH lol...

I'm with the GOAT on this one though, let's tone back the comeback stuff, even if it's just temporary, and see what happens when people truly have to think again to win for SF6.

PSN - Omnicloud btw I'm East Coast U.S if you ever wanna play online. I keep saying I'm gonna boot it back up to rank some more to GM but never do it lol...