• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While it wasnt "earned" and they definitely needed to have more episodes to flesh out dany doing a heel turn, her change does make sense for her character. (Again, just wasnt earned). The fight for power and gaining power itself can corrupt even the best man, and best woman.

Last edited:

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
she's so evil and singularly obsessed with her birthright she abandoned the fight for the throne that same season to fight off the greater evil.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This whole arguing is hurting my head. Daneryes having a questionable ego-driven bloodthrist was always a core tennant of her character development over like 6 seasons before this one.

I now look forward to the meltdowns when Kylo Ren doesn't get redeemed in the next Star Wars.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
While it wasnt "earned" and they definately needed to have more episodes to flesh out dany doing a the heel turn, her change can does sense for her character. (Again, just wasnt earned). The fight for power and gaining power itself can corrupt even the best man, and best woman.
Indeed. See: Castro and Guevara among many other historical figures.

This whole arguing is hurting my head. Daneryes having a questionable ego-driven bloodthrist was always a core tennant of her character development over like 6 seasons before this one.

I now look forward to the meltdowns when Kylo Ren doesn't get redeemed in the next Star Wars.
Agreed on all counts.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
They are justifief if you are part of the system. Sue wanted to break that wheel. She only kept spinning it. It isn't justified because she is lying to herself about making the world better.
Because she wanted to break cycles of oppression. What she wanted to stop was people in power killing innocents because they felt like it, not stop people in power killing others period.

Killing Mirri is in line with that. She's not killing Mirri out of spite, but because she's guilty of wronging her. Which isn't to say that that itself isn't morally complex due to Mirri's having been wronged by the Dothraki under Drogo's command, but Dany isn't killing her just cuz.

That's the wheel she wanted to break. Not because she was dragon gandhi.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
she's so evil and singularly obsessed with her birthright she abandoned the fight for the throne that same season to fight off the greater evil.

Defeating the dead furthered her ability to claim the throne since it gave her access to the north and the allegiance of the King in the North.

Not to mention that there wouldn't be much to rule if the dead weren't stopped.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I agree with you OP. Dany was a special and rare character. She was a powerful inspiration for a lot of women. And then she got reduced to a plot object for another male character's "character growth arc" moment. Women characters in media so often get reduced to nothing more than something to be beaten, betrayed, or broken down so the men can have their "growth moments".

This story centered around two males and one female. And of course it ends with the female dying so Jon and Tyrion can have their "growth". How fucking predictable.

What growth? They are exactly the same as they were - sadly. In fact, out of the main cast, the only characters with true growth are Arya and Sansa, IMO. Everyone else ended the same.

And Dany wasn't a powerful inspiration for women, she was obsessed with ruling from day one. My wife, her sister and her best friend all disliked her from the very beginning, so she wasn't an inspiration for them, at least. They were #teamsansa for the past few seasons.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
IIRC, Jon struggled over multiple episodes to try to convince her to help him. He convinced her over time that there was a bigger threat coming and that there would be no throne to fight over if they didn't deal with it + pledged loyalty as the King of the North to her as the new Queen. And IIRC he still barely convinced her to go to see it for herself. But it's been some years so my memory may be fuzzy.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
The lesson to be learned here, is the same lesson to be learned about real people... don't put them on a pedestal. You become blind to their faults, and in the end you'll will just be disappointed when you realize what they really are.
Wait this was on the first page and perfectly sums up my
Yes, I keep seeing people describe the ending as "bittersweet" (quoting the word famously used by GRRM to describe his planned ending) but this ending is not bittersweet. It's either extremely bitter (if you're a Dany fan) or extremely sweet (if you're a fan of any other hero in the story). All the heroes get exactly what they wanted (or at least, a facsimile of it, in Jon's case), except for Dany who not only doesn't get what she wants, but becomes a horrific genocidal monster whose legacy is dragged through the mud. It's basically the best possible ending for the surviving Starks and Tyrion, and the worst possible ending for Dany.
So of you like both Dany and the starks it would be bitter-sweet......

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defeating the dead furthered her ability to claim the throne since it gave her access to the north and the allegiance of the King in the North.

Not to mention that there wouldn't be much to rule if the dead weren't stopped.

Except she only agrees to stop her campaign on Kings Landing because she saw the white walkers herself. Totally self motivated.

In contrast with Cersei, who DOES see the undead and tricks dummy Tyrion into thinking she'll send support to defend the realm

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
game-of-thrones-dany-controversial-image.jpg
DEAD, I can wait for the books to come out because this shit is right in people face but they keep ignoring it.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Wait this was on the first page and perfectly sums up my

So of you like both Dany and the starks it would be bitter-sweet......

Pretty much. Felt bittersweet to me.
Yeah this season was rushed and Dany's turn felt rushed aswell in the way it was executed, but the actual ending makes perferct sense for the rest of the show.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I had this argument with Danny fans all the way back to GAF, this was always going to happen. Unfortunately the issue was that it was both rushed by 1-2 seasons and like most things in season 7 and 8, the execution was fucking awful.

They really framed it that her losing one of her bffs was the snap instead of you know.. her child getting murdered. Jesus Christ...

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Except she only agrees to stop her campaign on Kings Landing because she saw the white walkers herself. Totally self motivated.

In contrast with Cersei, who DOES see the undead and tricks dummy Tyrion into thinking she'll send support to defend the realm
Ceresi was a different monster entirely. Ceresi has no known limits. No reason to compare them as if to suggest one isn't as invested in the goal of victory as the other. It's just that one is willing to fight far dirtier.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
They are justifief if you are part of the system. Sue wanted to break that wheel. She only kept spinning it. It isn't justified because she is lying to herself about making the world better.

I guess abolishing slavery across a continent just doesn't count, to say nothing of her other virtues.

It's pretty wild how some people who think of Daenerys as a villain ignore any and all good things she's done. If Daenerys were a man and the idea of "Targaryen madness" didn't exist, there would be little opposition of her online.

Of course, some of this falls on the showrunners' shoulders for inventing the ridiculously stupid phrase "break the wheel," which isn't actually anything Daenerys has thought of, and apparently makes viewers hold her to a standard of "anything but democracy is unacceptable"... which is just absurd in-universe.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Monarchy is oppression.
It is, but nevertheless her rulership is distinct from those around her.

ugh, this whole conversation is frustrating because it essentially revolves around pointing out that Dany herself was not an perfect human being, and once detractors like you get that singular concession, you just use it as an excuse dismiss anything else about her that seperates her from the others. For her to be the a """""real""""" breaker of the wheel, she'd have to be this perfect pure manifestation of goodness who never did anything wrong to anyone that would be a super unrealistic and unbelievable character in this world that is otherwise full of brutal and sadistic monarchists. She killed Mirri because she murdered her unborn child out of spite and revenge, which basically makes her the same as the dothraki who were going to kill her for shits and giggles.

You're basically "She's was no angel"-ing her under the dril philosophy of "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Pretty much. Felt bittersweet to me.
Yeah this season was rushed and Dany's turn felt rushed aswell in the way it was executed, but the actual ending makes perferct sense for the rest of the show.
agreed. Some were willing to read the signs and the tea leaves. The rest...are having a hard time today.

You're basically "She's was no angel"-ing her.
Holy fuckin shitballs.

You do know she murdered tens of thousands of innocent civilians, right? And her logic was, "Ceresi smart for using them as a shield, but they made their choice [to hide in there an dnot follow me] so fuck em"?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
D&D's treatment of Dany has completely soured me on the show. Great OP, and I agree with all of your points. What a waste.
They made Dany the face of the show, something that she wasnt in the books. The dany that they made would never work with the final that she was getting in the books but they brute forced it regarless.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, Jon struggled over multiple episodes to try to convince her to help him. He convinced her over time that there was a bigger threat coming and that there would be no throne to fight over if they didn't deal with it + pledged loyalty as the King of the North to her as the new Queen. And IIRC he still barely convinced her to go to see it for herself. But it's been some years so my memory may be fuzzy.

No that's correct.
She wasn't gonna help unless Jon and the north bent the knee and saw the white walkers herself.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
LIsten, say what you want about the writing, and I admit it went way downhill but Dany's character portrayal was absolutely fair. She was never this shining beacon of hope, she was always power hungry with a slight humanitarian twist. They went way too fast with it because of the shortened season but if you're angry about her ultimate destiny, it was always there in front of you. I definitely won't argue about how season went because it was way too rushed. I don't know what they were thinking with that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If Dany sees no point to killing her, why does she then kill her in an even more horrifying way of burning her alive?
To complete the blood magic ritual to awaken the dragons from the stone eggs.
And Dany is told that life pays for life so she knows someone will die for Drogo, she just doesn't know it will be her child, so she's fine with someone else dying for her.
She thought it was the horse that was used in Mirri's ritual. Mirri then laughs at her naiveté.

Let's remember that all of this happens when Dany is literally 14 years old.

And she's part of the murder/slaving/raping of the Lhazareen village happening as it happens
Oh come on, blaming her for the fate of the Lhazareen is completely unfair here and you know this.

so they can pay to go to Westeros and conquer it which is what Dany was pushing for - Dany's not an idiot, she knows by this point how the Dothraki operate and what it means. She also "saves" the women by making them her slaves - it's not really much saving, and it's strange that Dany will think these people will be grateful to her when they just been brutalised because of her actions and she's saving them by her owning them. Dany's not in the right at this point in time
It's true that she's not in the right, and Mirri points that out to her quite strongly, but to frame this as Dany deliberately being responsible for the Lhazarren massacre and maliciously enslaving the survivors, rather than her being a naive teenage girl vainly attempting to try to make some good out of a horrible situation, is not an honest assessment of the character. Even if Dany is a bit older in the show, this was clearly shown as her being naive, not complicit. And that's how she learns an incredibly harsh life lesson out of it, too, and pays a hefty price. In the books (forgot if the show has this line) Dany even thanks Mirri for the "lesson", heh.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It is, but nevertheless her rulership is distinct from those around her.

ugh, this whole conversation is frustrating because it essentially revolves around pointing out that Dany herself was not an perfect human being, and once detractors like you get that singular concession, you just use it as an excuse dismiss anything else about her. For her to be the a """""real""""" breaker of the wheel, she'd have to be this perfect pure manifestation of goodness who never did anything wrong to anyone.

You're basically "She's was no angel"-ing her.
She is not distinct. She is still a conqeuror. The kings and lords of westeros aren't even know that well to the common person.

She wanted to break the wheel by participating and winning this game. Don't say you will liberate the world while being a tyrant and people won't criticize you. No one criticizes Tywin for his acts because he isn't deluding himself.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Morrigan I must confess, you confuse the heck out of me with your vast knowledge of the books. I am starting to forget what happened in the show and what didn't. Seems you have too lol

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL

In a sense both characters share a trait of doing whatever it takes no matter the cost in order to advance their own agenda.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I was Disney I would fire D&D.

If they wanted to kill Dany there was no need to turn her into Hitler. GoT was never about the big bad guy and turning Dany into one was a major departure from the themes of game of thrones.

They could have dealt with Dany a whole bunch of clever more nuance ways than the approach they took.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I guess abolishing slavery across a continent just doesn't count, to say nothing of her other virtues.

It's pretty wild how some people who think of Daenerys as a villain ignore any and all good things she's done. If Daenerys were a man and the idea of "Targaryen madness" didn't exist, there would be little opposition of her online.

Of course, some of this falls on the showrunners' shoulders for inventing the ridiculously stupid phrase "break the wheel," which isn't actually anything Daenerys has thought of, and apparently makes viewers hold her to a standard of "anything but democracy is unacceptable"... which is just absurd in-universe.
The slavers came back, though, if I recall.

You can do good but that doesn't justify cruel actions especially if you want to make the world a better place.

Mar 29, 2018
We all have to get really burned by hype and investment some time

Years down the line you'll be glad for this because it'll let you appreciate other stuff from arms length without getting too invested, which will give you more surprises

Her rushed turn to madness and villainy will be the worst thing the show ever did. There was a way to get there and they completely failed at doing it
Yep. It's the execution they flubbed it, not the fact

Same with every story ever, so

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
She is not distinct. She is still a conqeuror. The kings and lords of westeros aren't even know that well to the common person.

She wanted to break the wheel by participating and winning this game. Don't say you will liberate the world while being a tyrant and people won't criticize you. No one criticizes Tywin for his acts because he isn't deluding himself.
*sigh*

Whatever dril. Just make sure you let me know in case you ever become a writer so I can avoid your work.

He's referring to her actions before this massacre and why that massacre was not narratively justified as people claim. Like how people use the killing of slavers as evidence that "she was always evil".
Yup. The entire point of this is how much of a character assassination this was.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm really really curious about how Martin - assuming this is what he told them his plan was - will get from point A to point B. Because essentially everything that stands in conflict with her turn still applies. Going to suck if we never get to see it and get stuck only with the rush job.

And I suppose the judgement of how 'good' Dany is comes down to how a person feels about the idea that everyone one judges as 'bad' needs to be put to death in the worst ways possible.

It's still an interesting character that is flawed in the way the story posits Dany to be. There's a whole lot of things about power and corruption, steadfast belief in your own righteousness, and how you wield those things in the face of continuous trauma that would be fascinating to flesh out in a way that actually took the time to do it.
ukcwkcuh72y21.jpg

He already started her turn at the end of book 5 which is the equivalent of the end of season 5. Meereen was all about getting her to dark on us.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
LIsten, say what you want about the writing, and I admit it went way downhill but Dany's character portrayal was absolutely fair. She was never this shining beacon of hope, she was always power hungry with a slight humanitarian twist. They went way too fast with it because of the shortened season but if you're angry about her ultimate destiny, it was always there in front of you. I definitely won't argue about how season went because it was way too rushed. I don't know what they were thinking with that.
agreed.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
If D&D weren't so craven about following the waves of fan reaction to everything, none of this would've been so confusing for so many. Or if they'd transitioned their fan-favorite version of Dany to the one that will be in GRRM's ending in some kind of thoughtful way, maybe this wouldn't be so jarring for so many of you.

This series was never going to cheer on a character that sees the throne as their birthright. Dany had more than a few creepy, violent moments in the show -- the ones people in this thread keep citing -- yet they always steered away from it and didn't give anyone time to think about the implications.

We never had a moment that made it clear that she was going to kill anybody who didn't want her on the throne. It's in line with a lot of those creepy moments that foreshadow this, sure, but many other characters on this show have very similar dark moments.

Even just thinking about the show, though, from watching those first few seasons it should be exceedingly clear that the plot had zero affection for characters that believe the Iron Throne to be their birthright. We didn't get a version of this character that made that particularly clear until minutes before the end of the whole thing, which was a catastrophe.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Forgive me if I'm misreading things here but I'm seeing people blaming Dany, or calling her evil, for executing slavers... but she's also to blame for not killing them enough/them coming back to Meereen (despite that being entirely Tyrion's doing)?

:thonk:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me if I'm misreading things here but I'm seeing people blaming Dany, or calling her evil, for executing slavers... but she's also to blame for not killing them enough/them coming back to Meereen (despite that being entirely Tyrion's doing)?

:thonk:

she also can't be cruel to them because slavers' feelings matter

as we all know, slavery's motto is "due process."

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
ah, the standard of perfection, something women know well.
"Dany was wrong for executing slavers. But she was wrong for letting them come back too, even though she had nothing to do with that. Gawd, fuck you Dany, why are you ruining the world by not having it be effortlessly perfect"

BTW, lets not ignore that if Dany was this bizarre Westerosi superman-figure that fixed everything and made no wrong choices, they'd just criticize her for being too perfect and ruining the dark nature of the ASoIaF world. The 'mary sue' argument, essentially.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Is this supposed to make sense? In the world of ASOIAF/GOT, death is going to happen, and every leader must mete it out. The point is that Daenerys' usage of execution is rather reasonable — yes, justifiable, because their world does not operate under modern precepts — compared to most other in-universe leaders'.

That isn't to say that Daenerys can't be cruel, or that some of her executions aren't mistakes. But it's only through the removal of context and the interjection of presentist thought that they're indicative of "madness" — a standard other rulers are not beholden to. (I don't recall anyone saying Tywin was "mad.")

She thought the payment was Drogo's horse's life. MMD knew otherwise, and had planned all along to kill Rhaego.

What? Did you miss the part where she routinely abolishes slavery? People are free to go whenever, but they follow her because they believe in her.
I'm talking at this point in the story - Dany has slaves (her three handmaidens are slaves bought by Viserys and I don't think she ever thinks of freeing) and she then makes more slaves. AT this point in the story, Dany is morally dubious, she does have kind instincts but she is surrounded by first a brother that teaches her abour her "blood of dragon" supperiority and then by the Dothraki, a culture that sees it's right to conquer and destroy and also sees themselves as superior to others. Dany does have good instincts but this does leave an imprint on her and unfortunately with being given dragons and then gaining immense power very quickly she has so many people worshiping her and calling her a saviour that I think it will affect her temperment again - she already is shown (in the books atleast) that she's very good a t conquering cities but struggles at ruling them and leaves two cities in a shambolic mess where they are pretty much dying. She decides to rule Meereen but she struggles to be a ruler and finds it boring. Dany has good impulses but she has violent ones as well - I think the Lhazzareen village and Mirri's burning is showing of this, it's morally grey, especially as burning her alive is a cruel punishment.
To complete the blood magic ritual to awaken the dragons from the stone eggs.

She thought it was the horse that was used in Mirri's ritual. Mirri then laughs at her naiveté.

Let's remember that all of this happens when Dany is literally 14 years old.

Oh come on, blaming her for the fate of the Lhazareen is completely unfair here and you know this.

It's true that she's not in the right, and Mirri points that out to her quite strongly, but to frame this as Dany deliberately being responsible for the Lhazarren massacre and maliciously enslaving the survivors, rather than her being a naive teenage girl vainly attempting to try to make some good out of a horrible situation, is not an honest assessment of the character. Even if Dany is a bit older in the show, this was clearly shown as her being naive, not complicit. And that's how she learns an incredibly harsh life lesson out of it, too, and pays a hefty price. In the books (forgot if the show has this line) Dany even thanks Mirri for the "lesson", heh.
Oh I'm not saying she's completely evil or responsible for it all at this point but she is being negatively influenced by the Dothraki's conquering ways and I think it shows she's not always good at understanding people that aren't on "her" side. There's morally grey there, and it just seems wrong. I also don't think burning a person for Dragons is a moral act, it's wrong.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't think burning a person for Dragons is a moral act, it's wrong.
So how about burning someone who lied to you, killed your unborn child, and ousted you from the one position of power you had in your life, whom you kill not out of cruelty or spite or even vengeance but so that you can get something, some form of life out of the death they have wreaked on you?

Probably also not a moral act, but not exactly unreasonable imo.