• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
He's good at eliciting emotion out of players, and I'm not being sarcastic. There are scenes in all his games that are really effective and genuinely good.

His problem is weaving them all to make the complete experience.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He gave us the absolute greatest Super Best Friends LPs, but beyond that he can honestly go kick rocks.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i still want the version of Heavy Rain where supernatural shit was happening

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He taught gamers that the Navajo lived in teepees and that if you talk really really slowly to POC who don't speak English they will understand what you want and that in order to cure racism POC, wait, I mean androids #notpoliticalbtw, have to be as docile as possible and sing a song, otherwise you'll be berated by an old white man who's one of the "good" slave owners for being too angry right before he randomly dies.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
He taught gamers that the Navajo lived in teepees and that if you talk really really slowly to POC who don't speak English they will understand what you want and that in order to cure racism POC, wait, I mean androids #notpoliticalbtw, have to be as docile as possible and sing a song.
beyond two souls was a giant mistake

the only good thing about it was Green Goblin was in it

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Considering how he was apparently less involved with Detroit and it is by far the most coherent story Quantic Dream has told with some actually interesting gameplay mechanics, I don't think David Cage contributed much. Although I'll give him some credit, he does seem to come up with great high concept ideas pretty easily even though he doesn't follow through with them most of the time. That's probably why he's still as successful as he is because he knows how to convince people to buy his games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know anything about him, but I definitely want to know why this forum despises him.
His games often handle sensitive subject matter terribly and he'll often dance around the subject matter when asked about them in interviews.

For your choose your own adventure games (TellTale, LiS,etc), his games are the only ones where your choices actually matter.
I disagree, and vehemently so. His constant need to remove any fail states shows he has no trust in the people playing, nor does he have the writing chops to clearly handle his characters to go through with something, like being given the option for Jodie to end her life. You have that option, It's in the actual game in the homeless route, but the story will not allow for such an ending. And because there are hardly ever any wrong choices, there are no meaningful choices to make. You are guided down a set path regardless of what you choose.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Helped make some pretty good games.

Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain and Detroit were great. Beyond: Two Souls was pretty okay if you played the more chronological PS4 version.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Proof that writing stories on cocktail napkins can be made into videogames.
giphy.gif

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I dont know anything about him, but I definitely want to know why this forum despises him.

Egotistical and self-serious but lacking the cred to back it up.

Big talks of "emotion" being the main factor of his games but the writing is mediocre and avoids sensitive subjects or is just full of shitty tropes. That aged badly in the last decade with the new narrative games coming in the market and offering better stories/writing while sometimes requiring more input from the player.

Also his games have been memefied to death (deservedly) and there's still a stigma on narrative games from a portion of the players so he's just an easy target.

Also more recently there have been serious allegations (and a lawsuit) about terrible working conditions at Quantic Dream.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
So many shitposts in here, as if the gaming space wasn't big enough for a niche corner of David Cage.

David Cage might not have invented the branching narrative, consequences matter, point and click QTE cinematic adventure, but he's done a great job of bringing an all too rarely explored sub genre to the forefront of big(ger) budget video games, and making it more accessible. The point of David Cage isn't that his games are masterpieces, is that they open the door for more of these experiences from people who have a better grip on storytelling.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
He helped us all remember how immature this medium is as a source of storytelling.

I don't understand how the turgid stories he attempts to tell get past the pre production phase.

Oct 28, 2017
Indigo Prophecy blew my mind when I first played it on Xbox

Never played any others, but I enjoy the cut of Cage's jib, idc if it's "cool" or not.

Oct 30, 2017
I fucking pushed through the multiple sexual assaults, fed Jaden to Sambo and watched Madison get JASON'd just to find out that killer was the guy who's thoughts were made available to me the entire time.

David Cage's asshole is the serpent eating its own tail

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
I really loved Heavy Rain, it was the first and only game of his that I've played through. I played it twice in a span of a month and then watched my gf play it.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Outside of ERA's bubble his games are generally well received.

I personally have enjoyed all of them, from Fahrenheit to Detroit (which is probably my favorite of his games).

There's no other studio out there making AAA budget adventure games really, so it's nice to at least have one developer that sees that narrative driven adventure games aren't simply a product of the 90's and that there's still a market for them.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing he's slapped his name onto has been particularly disruptive.

Without commenting on the quality of the games themselves, which is fine if you enjoy that kind of thing.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
He probably made dozens if not hundreds of people leave the industry by allowing intense crunch and harassment in his teams.
That's what he should be remembered for.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Well, everyone seems to have an opinion on his games, so love em or hate em, you can't argue that he hasn't made some kind of impact on games as a whole.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
he directed games, regardless of your opinions of it. It's a product on the store shelf and the digital store.

Can't say for the 'keyboard game directors' on the forums.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I hate how people are just attacking David Cage in this thread without actually discussing the topic at hand. Real mature, guys. Carry on.

As someone who followed the adventure genre closely, I remember Heavy Rain coming at a time when there was an actual drought in the genre. Telltale had just started getting into the choice-based adventure games and had some modest success, but, outside of that, there was nothing.

Now, choice-based adventure games aren't exactly new, but a game pushing that as its main feature (and even the promise of the story continuing in the death of a major character) was pretty groundbreaking at that point. Adventure games also haven't gotten that much attention in the AAA space, and Heavy Rain occupying that space was extremely rare.

Heavy Rain's success paved the way for more developers and publishers to reconsider the genre. Yes, Heavy Rain's plot was shit, but David Cage laid the foundation for these games to work on. On the top of my mind, Life is Strange, Until Dawn, Dreamfall: Chapters, all came out pushing the same gameplay feature as its selling point.

He's good at eliciting emotion out of players, and I'm not being sarcastic. There are scenes in all his games that are really effective and genuinely good.

His problem is weaving them all to make the complete experience.

As someone critical of David Cage, I totally agree with this. I have to point out that building an individual scene is a different beast altogether and having to do that while taking into account that this is a multi-branch video game (aka, the scene has to end in different ways, and the scene itself should be engaging to PLAY, not just watch) is a feat altogether. Say what you want about David Cage's games, but there are some amazing scenes in the game and (Ethan's major choices, Kara's escape from Alice's father and their subsequent search for shelter).

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Shipped games, and by extension - added titles and a mark into the large and ever-growing library of video games.
Employed hundreds of employees over the 22 years of the studio's lifespan.
Supported the livelihood of hundreds, if not thousands more within that vicinity of Paris - like any business that employs a lot of people within a specific location. ( housing business, restaurants , etc )
Was one of the earliest 'proven business models' of the profitability of AAA-budget adventure/narrative games in the PS3 era with Heavy Rain, presumably opening the doors to more games of its ilk being considered seriously by other publishers.

A lot of the negative stuff has been said already.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Helped make some pretty good games.

Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain and Detroit were great. Beyond: Two Souls was pretty okay if you played the more chronological PS4 version.
Interesting, I thought the PS4 version was just improved graphics.

I never played Indigo Prophecy before. But I think Detroit is by far the best game from QD, loved Connor's story and his interaction with Hank.

Personally I would put

Detroit > Heavy Rain > Beyond Two Souls

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
QD games are good-not-great executions of an idea that desperately needs to be more fully explored. When Netflix talks about flirting with the game space, this is where they will end up. Choose your own adventures- something with interactive narrative but not really "gameplay"- is a space between two media with the potential to accentuate both's strengths or both's weaknesses. Done right, it would be huge. It hasn't been done completely right yet, by anyone.

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He made games that were absurdly racist and sexist while running a company that exploits the shit out of its workers, is a living nightmare for any of its female employees, and tricked a generation of game critics whose literacy doesn't extend beyond Marvel movies that his works are deep and inquisitive and not sci-fi stories where androids sit at the back of the bus and say "I have a dream."

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
His extremely visible sexism led to various journalist works exposing the sexist culture at other studios.

MXT

Banned
May 13, 2019
He made games that were absurdly racist and sexist while running a company that exploits the shit out of its workers, is a living nightmare for any of its female employees, and tricked a generation of game critics whose literacy doesn't extend beyond Marvel movies that his works are deep and inquisitive and not sci-fi stories where androids sit at the back of the bus and say "I have a dream."

Hear, hear!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty, and for as much as we love to rip on him for how terrible his games are, the ideas and concepts of an interactive story that propel forward based on your choices, and lack thereof, is really cool.

Kara can die in the first hour of Detroit and she never comes back, the story is just gone. That's brilliant.

This is fact, though.