• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
So I used to work at Gamestop in 2008 (first day was the Gears 2 launch). Our used 360 section had this giant collection of Lego Indiana Jones/Kung Fu Panda copies. Having not had a 360 yet and planning to spend my first paycheck on one, for whatever reason, it didn't register to my why we had so many of those. And then I sold my first 360 console, and I was like "Oh."

68-105-011-05.jpg

Every 360 console we sold had Lego Indiana Jones/Kung Fu Panda packed in. And thus, we had some people rip open the box in the store after buying the console and trading it in immediately for like... 15 bucks. And they kept coming in. It was absurd. At some point we had to put a pile in the back room. Our drawer full of Used 360 discs, an entire row was dedicated to just these games. Nobody was buying them. They would never leave. They just wouldn't stop growing and spreading. At some point we had to send a giant-ass box of these off to one of the company's warehouses or whatever. I get shivers when I see these box arts.

Now I don't know if this counted towards NPD tracking, or if at some point someone realized there was an enormous stockpile of these games going nowhere, but it was the most "Oh god, the Wii is eating family sales like crazy and we have no family games to push" kind of move to make this the bundle for the holiday. Not like anything first party or that took advantage of the core features of the system. But no, instead it was "Uhhh I dunno, kids like this kinda shit, right? Take these!" Meanwhile Microsoft looked at Viva Pinata and B&K Nuts and Bolts and said "get back in your hole."

Meanwhile, stuff like Wii Sports stayed in regular rotation in peoples' Wii libraries for years. Or Mario Kart 8 being an undeniably obvious get for new Switch owners. And while AstroBot may not be sold separately on PS5, it's still one of the coolest showcases of the Dualsense, and is going to stay installed just so I can show it off to people holding the controller for the first time. And hell.. fucking Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. Or Super Mario World.

Which ones stuck out to you? Or... y'know... didn't?

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i enjoyed wii sports greatly on my wii
meanwhile my copy of gears 1 remaster that came with the xbox one is still pristine since i never even opened it

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I got an OG Xbox with the Jet Set Radio Future / Sega GT 2002 double-sided disc pack-in. I probably spent more time playing those two games than anything else on the console. I loved them sooooooo much.

xbox-jet-set-radio-future-segagt2002-bundle-2-1601593931-23.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't touched Astro's Playroom on my PS5 since I got it even though it comes preinstalled.

In general though I don't get console bundles, so I rarely get pack-in games. If I do get a bundle it's with a game I already wanted to play.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
Megadrive with the Megagames 2 cart that had Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and Revenge of Shinobi.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Astrobot on PS5.

Just had a great time with it and was great way to show off the system overall.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I got a lot of unwanted pack-in games from buying Sony portables. I bought two PSP 2000s (screen cracked on the first one), the first one came with Daxter and the second one came with God of War: Chains of Olympus. I think I played Daxter for maybe 10 minutes and never even booted God of War. My Vita came with Madden NFL... whatever year it was and yet again, never even booted it. I bought a Vita to play Persona 4 Golden and Danganronpa, I don't think there could be a pack-in game that would have been more of a taste mismatch.

I don't have any particularly interesting ones that I actually played, it's all just the typical stuff. Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Wii Sports, etc. My Switch was technically bundled with BotW and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe too but that was a retailer (Target) bundle so I don't think that counts.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The only console bundle I ever had was a retailer bundle from Costco. It was a GameCube with Super Smash Bros Melee and a Memory Card - everything I could ever need. A couple years into the lifecycle, my disk drive stopped working and we brought it back to Costco to exchange it. But they only sold those retailer bundles, so they wanted me to exchange all the contents that were in my original bundle for another alternate bundle they had for sale.

The new bundle was the same, but it was a black GameCube with Star Fox Adventures. This was untenable. I pleaded with my mother, who pleaded with the sales rep, to find some other solution. By some stroke of fortune, they found another Star Fox bundle with a Purple GameCube and they opened it up and let me just switch out the consoles.

As I was leaving, an associate a the door said "nice, kid, I love Super Smash Bros" and I said "me too!" and he said "I unlocked everyone in one day" and I defiantly said "NO YOU DIDN'T!!" because you had to play versus for 20 hours to unlock Mewtwo. He was really taken aback and was like "whatever kid, have fun."

This concludes my full experience with hardware bundles.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I ignored my copy of LittleBigPlanet when I got my PS3 in 2008. It just seemed like it wouldn't interest me.

Turns out it became one of my favorite franchises in the end.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I got an OG Xbox with the Jet Set Radio Future / Sega GT 2002 double-sided disc pack-in. I probably spent more time playing those two games than anything else on the console. I loved them sooooooo much.

Same! I ended up buying a stand-alone copy of JSRF just because I loved the game so much.

My username on Era used to be jetsetnickradio, but I recently changed it.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got Yoshi's Island with my SNES, and played the shit out of it

Got sunshine with my GameCube, and played the shit out of it

Got star wars Kotor and mech assault with my Xbox and immediately dropped star wars when I realized it wasn't an action game. Played the shit out of mech assault instead

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

179324--sega-mega-drive.png
game-boy-advance-super-mario-advance-2-bundle-front-1554280912-56.JPG

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

packgt.jpg
9950408415_97ebdc8c7e.jpg

(GT5p was alright, just unexciting, I got Ratchet & Clank ToD that day too which was amazing)

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Astrobot was the reason I bought a PS5 (I sold it because it does not have a lot to offer for me, but Astrobot was a great experience). My SNES came with Yoshi's Island, but I do not know whether that counts because I specifically bought that version of the SNES to get YI with it. If it does, it is an amazing pack in. The other pack-ins I got were Wii Sports (shit), Rayman 3D (amazing game, but I already had numerous versions before) and Nintendo Land (shit). Hexic on Xbox 360 was OK.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The SMB/Duck Hunt cart is the one that kickstarted my gaming career, so I definitely treasure that (not Duck Hunt though).

elPolloDiablo

Apr 9, 2021
the Netherlands
I got sonic 1 with my megadrive loved it.
Bought a n64 with mario64 loved it
Bought the ps2 FFX bundle especially for FFX.
Bought my ps3 with the killzone 2 bundle and loved it.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
LEGO Indiana Jones was pretty good tho (bought mine later, not part of bundle)

For me:

Super Mario World has to be like the most upper top tier of pack-ins I ever owned.
Hexic - OK
My PSP is the God of War bundle; I was really impressed with the game at the time.
My Vita is the Assassin's Creed Liberation bundle; that game was mediocre.
My XONE was the Assassin's Creed bundle; AC IV: Black Flag was good; never finished Unity.
My XONEX is the Forza bundle; Horizon 4 was super good; never got around to Motorsport 7, a few times when I tried there was a bug where the audio just died.
Astro's Playroom - fantastic

I don't think any of my other systems had pack-ins?

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Treasure :
  • TMNT with Nes
  • Wii Sports with Wii
  • Astrobot with PS5 (if that count)
Ignore is a strong word because I completed them :
  • New Super Mario Bros with WiiU
  • Killzone Shadow Fall with PS4

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

This pack-in is when I got my own Xbox, though I had an Xbox in my household via my younger brother since its launch. Still, this was a great pack-in that I got a ton of mileage out of.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Wii Sports is just the best there ever was, and possibly ever will be at really selling its console. I had so much fun with that game.

The Metroid Prime Hunters demo the DS came with on the other hand.. I think I threw it out (or just lost it) after a year or so, didn't hold my interest at all. Mine came with Pokemon Dash as well and that was one of the worst games ever made.. Not a strong start for the DS tbh.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I got my PS5 bundled with Spiderman: Miles Morales, which I haven't even opened.

Conversely, my Xbox One X is the Gears 5 special edition, which made me love the Gears series so much I bought the entire series despite playing it on Gamepass.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing FaceRaiders for hours when I got my 3DS on launch day. It wasn't a particularly good game, but the launch library of the 3DS was so pants it gave me something to do!

My wii-u came bundled with zombi-u. I played that game exactly once.
This is wild, I also got the Zombi U edition Wii U and put at least 100 hours into it, mostly into the amazing Wii U specific multiplayer mode. It was one of the best uses of asymmetric competitive multiplayer the Wii U offered imo!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The Sega Saturn was one of the first consoles I bought with my own money. It came with Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop and Daytona USA. I was in gaming bliss and very, very thankful I had so much play when I purchased it.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I think I loved almost all the ones that came with my consoles, or at least, did at the time.

NES- SMB/Duck Hunt
Game Boy- Tetris
Mega Drive- Sonic
SNES- Super Mario World
Wii- Wii Sports
Vita- Tearaway

Most of my other consoles I don't think came with a bundled game. I liked them all with the exception of Tearaway. I gave it a few hours then traded that in. These days I think the only one I still play on a semi-regular basis is SMW though.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Did you really hate that pack-in? I got altered beast as mine in 1989 and, while I'll criticize the game now, back then it felt like I was playing something from the future compared to what a lot of other home ports i was used to from SMS or NES.
I'll admit the reputation of Altered Beast has soured over the years, but it was by far the worst of the games I got with my MD (Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe and Ghouls & Ghosts) so it definately got the least play and was short and frustrating. I'd never played the arcade either which probably didn't help - the others I knew from the arcade (the original in the case of RoS, obv.)

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
Megadrive with the Megagames 2 cart that had Streets of Rage, Golden Axe and Revenge of Shinobi.

This pack in was one of the best and I played right up until I stopped playing the console. Hell of a start. My NES came with Mario and my Gameboy came with Tetris so those are probably the obvious top of the pops. I dont think I ever bought another console with a pack in though and usually the reason I wanted the thing was not included with the console evenin including those gems, such as

Spectrum - wanted to play Great Escape, did come with Saboteur and other cool stuff though
NES - wanted to play a wrestling game
Mega Drive - simply heard they were going to make an X-Men game for it
Game Gear - wanted to play either Alien 3 or Streets of Rage 2, think it came with Chuck Rock which I didnt want?
PlayStation - wanted Die Hard Trilogy
PlayStation 2 - wanted GTAIII
PlayStation 3 - Just because, only games machine I have done that for
PlayStation 4 - wanted to play Batman - Arkham Knight

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
x169018--nintendo-ds.png.pagespeed.ic.uIeJwt7tMe.jpg

Don't know if it counts because it was demo.

The DS was my first console/handheld I bought with my own money and getting it on release day. Had so much fun with the included demo and also played the multiplayer so many times with friends. I also think I played the demo more often and longer than the full game...

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'll admit the reputation of Altered Beast has soured over the years, but it was by far the worst of the games I got with my MD (Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe and Ghouls & Ghosts) so it definately got the least play and was short and frustrating. I'd never played the arcade either which probably didn't help - the others I knew from the arcade (the original in the case of RoS, obv.)

I ended up getting Ghouls n Ghosts a few days after getting my Genesis so I definitely played Altered Beast less lol

I think my favorite non-obvious pack-in was all the shit that came w/ the first model Sega CD. It was the first copy of Streets of Rage I owned AND I really loved Sol Feace.

VF1 was never touched again after I got VF Remix in the mail.

Oh yeah lol

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
OoT/Master Quest and Burnout Revenge are the only pack ins I recall having and they were great. Oh, there was the Halo 4 console I got... Still regret that one.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World is the best, by a pretty wide margin. That one of the best video games of all time was included as a pack in was crazy

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Sega Genesis games used to have a lot of pack-in posters inside the cases. I recognize they are just posters, but I regret treating all those posters so bad. I think one day as a teen, I just tossed them all out.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Astro's Playroom for the PS5 was excellent! Otherwise, I don't think I've ever got any proper games bundled with a console. The PS2 came with Yabasic and a few demos(?), but no full game. The PS4 came with some AR games ("The Playroom") but I believe they all required the Playstation camera, which I never got.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
The copies of Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort I got with my Wii are the only console pack-in games I've ever gotten, both games are great but I preferred Resort a bit more because of the sword fighting game.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario All-Stars + World can never, ever be topped. Five Mario games, dawg.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've only gotten a few consoles with pack-ins. Daxter on psp, not bad but not great either. And then Borderlands 2 on Vita - it ran like shit so I never dug into it.

Obviously Wii sports and Mario/Duck Hunt are big Nintendo highlights. When I worked at GameStop briefly, any time Wii Sports was traded in it sold almost immediately. People were hungry for that game!

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
This is wild, I also got the Zombi U edition Wii U and put at least 100 hours into it, mostly into the amazing Wii U specific multiplayer mode. It was one of the best uses of asymmetric competitive multiplayer the Wii U offered imo!

I though it was a cool concept, but my partner isnt into games, I don't have friends that game, and honestly it triggered some anxiety in me haha.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
I liked most of the games that came bundled with the consoles I purchased (e.g. Sega Super Star Tennis with my Xbox 360. God of War with my PS4 Pro and Astro Bot with my PS5).

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
NSMBU is the best 2D Mario game and I got it as a pack-in with my Wii U.

If PS VR counts then I got Astro Bot and Moss which both kicked ass.

Can't think of anything else special I've gotten. Before 2005 I pretty much bought my consoles used or can't remember.

Other than that:
PS3 - GT5 and inFamous 2 after I had played both. inFamous 2 is great though.
Xbox 360 - Nothing.
Wii - Used so it doesn't count.
Vita - Welcome Park wooohoo!
3DS - Monster Hunter 4 which is a cool game but I had pretty much moved on from the franchise at that point.
PS4 - Dragon Quest Heroes but in Japanese so I didn't play much.
Wii U - NSMBU, great game.
Xbox One - The Division...
Switch - Nada.
Series X - Nada.