• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite console launch?

• Nintendo

Votes: 189 47.3%
  • Sega

Votes: 56 14.0%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 41 10.3%
  • Sony

Votes: 113 28.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Nintendo Switch! My first time ever getting a console on launch-- usually I get them years later. My boyfriend and I went to the midnight launch at Best Buy and proceeded to get severe ear infections due to the cold, but it was so worth it.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
as funny as it may sound, probably the wii. my first system was an NES and by then it was already on its last legs, and somehow the snes was already released before i knew it existed. i paid attention to the n64 and gc launches, but i wasn't "that hyped" for them. the n64 cause mario 64 seemed too intimidating for me at the time and gc cause luigi's mansion was shockingly NOT exciting and not a proper mario platformer (though i WAS stoked for ssbm). but wii was the first system that i followed every bit of detail up until release. and while things like its specs were massively disappointing, and that i wasn't sold on motion controls, the system had zelda: tp at launch and soon to be mario galaxy and ssbb. it was also the first console (well, along with the ps3 and 360 to a lesser extent) whose hype i shared with people on a messageboard. it was the very first console i EVER camped out for (never doing that again) and the first console i bought with my own money.

it was also incidentally, the last time i was truly hyped up for a console.

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The earliest Nintendo console I can remember is the Nintendo 64. The GameCube just kind of came out and I knew nothing of the launch. Kind of the same for the Wii. The only one I really followed was the Wii U. Since the Project Cafe days. I was happy with it. I didn't pay much attention to the Switch launch because I didn't feel ready for it. But I did follow it a bit more than other console launches in the past.I bought my Switch about a year an a half after the launch.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
Nothing comes close to excitement of the Dreamcast for me.

After that, it is N64, Saturn, and Xbox 360

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
N64.
Took so long after first seeing Mario 64 in magazines and stuff i was dying for it. Also the release in Australia was a bit behind a few other countries. So i had a preorder at a local game shop, the day came and by the time i got there they said they had already sold them all.
We snatched all our preorder money back and somehow bought one from KMart instead.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I remember my mum coming home with the PS2 bundle on launch day in the blue bag, with an extra controller and a bunch of games, then hiding it away until Christmas... I was so hyped up.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Had them all, SNES, N64, Mega drive, but the launch that really got me was the PS1 way back in 96. I had a 3DO at that point and was really enjoying it, but the PS1 was on another level, the games, the graphics were a joy to behold.. I traded my 3DO in to part fund the PS1. I've been a Sony fan ever since (and in my defence am also an Xbox fan and ninty fan..i just prefer Sony). I think the closest I've ever got to a similar launch was the PS4.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
for me it was the ps3, after seeing that price there ws no way in hell id get one by xmas, it might aswell been a billion dollars, but lo and behold i ended up getting one on xmas morning. it was the most ive been genuinely surprised!!! the funny part was everyone knew i was getting one, even my damn friends knew and figured id have guessed.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I voted Xbox but I have two distinct memories with launches

I was working at a Zellers (Canada) prior to the Gamecube. I got to set up the display unit and "test it" for a chunk of one of my shifts. I had the electronics section put one aside for me (I worked launch day) and walked out with one. I can't recall if GBA was the same day/time, but I got that pretty early as well.

The other was Xbox One. I did the launch event at a Microsoft Store - got some swag, met some people, and had a pretty good time.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Sony's PS4. It was the first launch I actually paid attention to as all I remember from the early X360/PS3 launches were commercials and it was the first console I bought with my own money.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
gamecube launch was amazing and i was just the right age to have my mind blown by it - smash bros melee, pikmin, luigi's mansion, and super monkey ball were and still are totally iconic for me.

in recent memory though, the switch was actually a really great launch with breath of the wild - i remember going to a small local bar the first day or two and seeing a group of people with a switch and we all ended up playing 1-2-switch together. 1-2 switch isn't really the best game, but in that context it was pretty cool. there was a bit of a drought for me for a while until splatoon 2 came out, but breath of the wild was definitely enough to hold up that launch.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
How did this work, then? You lined up but joined and left the queue as and when you needed?
We got numbered tickets as soon as we lined up so places in line were reserved. We thought about just going home as soon as we got the tickets but thought better of it. A couple people did leave and we're hassled by others when they came back. And I definitely remember people, it's always the moms, losing their shit about it as soon as they found out the last console went to the people right in front.
Anyway, back to us. Day 2 my buddy had to work out some stuff with his financial aid at school and something else at work. It was a very cold November in Chicago so we made a sleeping bag run one of the nights. And we all alternated going home to shower the morning of launch day.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like your poll should list the console names not the specific company that released it.

For me, it's either the Dreamcast or Xbox 360 launch. Dreamcast was forward thinking.

Xbox 360 changed the gaming scene in a ton of ways. Can't really beat the vibe they put out with that console's release.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
We got numbered tickets as soon as we lined up so places in line were reserved. We thought about just going home as soon as we got the tickets but thought better of it. A couple people did leave and we're hassled by others when they came back. And I definitely remember people, it's always the moms, losing their shit about it as soon as they found out the last console went to the people right in front.
Anyway, back to us. Day 2 my buddy had to work out some stuff with his financial aid at school and something else at work. It was a very cold November in Chicago so we made a sleeping bag run one of the nights. And we all alternated going home to shower the morning of launch day.
Damn. More power to you, I guess. I personally would never queue up for an electronic item. If I'm starving and It's for food, then maybe. But phones, games/consoles etc...no thanks. And yes, I appreciate I'm saying this on a gaming forum.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast. First console I lined up for at a midnight launch. Great launch titles too.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Probably the Dreamcast for me.

Opening the box, setting it up, playing Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur for the first time...those visuals floored me.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I have to say the Switch. It's the most exciting piece of gaming hardware I've ever owned and I'm still amazed by it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Dreamcast launch was the craziest thing. Those games, Sonic Adventure looking like nothing I've ever seen before, Soul Calibur seriously blowing me away, and Marvel vs Capcom were my 3 launch titles. That was fucking epic.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I remember talking about the SNES to my father constantly, every time I got a new edition of Nintendo Power that had more information about it and upcoming games. I don't remember exactly when I got it, it wasn't a launch things when I was that young, more of "when I got it" thing.

I think the best was the PS3. I was 27, money was no object and I got the box home, had a friend over and we played Resistance split screen while hammering back a case of beer. It was awesome.

Yrch

Oct 29, 2017
The Wii Launch.
My first Midnight Launch
First 3D Zelda game for me.
Launch date was my Birthday and I had a day off.

And because I was smart enough to order one a few month I'd advance I got funneld through the Express line so I just took my Console and games, payed with Debit and was on my way home 10 minutes later.

Good times.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The N64 launch was pretty hype. Bad thing was, that i had 2 games (Mario and Pilotwings) but my console was on backorder and i had to wait 2weeks. But hey, i knew every word in theinstruction mauals when my console arrived ;)

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Opening up that Super Nintendo on Christmas morning is a high point of nostalgia for me that is hard to top.

The only other one that comes close was the Xbox and Gamecube launch. I had gotten an Xbox as a gift to myself on my 20th birthday which was the day it launched. Hung out a friend's house Thurs/Fri/Sat and then Saturday night camped at a Target and they all pitched in and got a Gamecube for me.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii was my first console launch. Reading magazines hyping up the console, watching E3 videos of Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess and being blown away by the motion controls did it for me.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 360 because I bought Kameo with it and thought is was incredible. Massive leap in graphics, fantastic music and gameplay.

I really want to replay it someday but I don't have an Xbox.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
SEGA Dreamcast

9/9/99

i was working my first job and this would be the first console i bought myself.
i had games before the console even launched. sonic. powerstone. ready 2 rumble.
i was super ready and the console did not disappoint!!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
N64.

Finally booting up Super Mario 64 in my room at home for the first time after all that hype and anticipation was a religious experience.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
Switch. Launch day My friend and I got up at around 5 am and went to different stores To wait in line. We were texting back and forth waiting. The feeling of finally getting a switch and being able to play Breath of the Wild for the first time ever was crazy.

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
PS2. I didn't get one since I was 14 and my family is poor, but my buddy camped out for one. We played SSX and NHL endlessly. I got my first job the next summer and bought my first console. I still remember walking into my house clutching the blue box.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
PS4.

It was actually the only one I got at launch. I was living in the UK at the time. So cool to pay the official price for the console instead of 1.5 to 2x the price (in addition to disfavorable dollar exchange). And being able to pre-order.

I was sucked into the hype at the time.

I wasn't on PC at the time, so getting games at 1080p was peter-parker-removing-glasses.gif

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
As far as launches go Dreamcast Is the most vivid and fond memory for me. I think it's the only console I actually got day of release as well.

I remember cutting out articles in magazines months before, playing Sonic Adventure and NFL 2k pre release at media play a few days before release and being blown away. Then getting a ride to pick up my Dreamcast and going home with the box on my lap.

I also vividly remember driving home with my PS2 (that beautiful bright blue box) and Metal Gear Solid 2, making my mom listen to Daft Punk and DMX. lol

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This thread made me realize that I've never got any console on lunch day. From the NES to the PS4PRO/XBOX1 I've always got them with at least 1 year after release.

I guess the closest I got one on release date was the Dreamcast since I got it on October 2000 (console was released on Sept 1999) and it was amazing, it had tons of games and it was a period when the library was growing with amazing titles.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
snes was really something else. i feel sooo bad for my parents crunching numbers with bills and checkbooks justify a "new nintendo"

i never got that new console high again. i thought n64 would be joyous re creation of that but in spite of how amazing mario 64 was it was kind of depressing

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Damn. More power to you, I guess. I personally would never queue up for an electronic item. If I'm starving and It's for food, then maybe. But phones, games/consoles etc...no thanks. And yes, I appreciate I'm saying this on a gaming forum.
It wasn't that dire but it sure helped with bills and spending for the next couple of months. You have to remember that those 60gb ps3 ended up fetching $1900-2100 right after release and continued to sell for ~$1400 til about Christmas.
I haven't done it before nor would I do it again. It wasn't a great experience but it was an experience.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I got a ps4 on launch, and I will always remember it because it was my first year in a new country. The city I lived in didn't really sell video games, so my girlfriend (now wife) traveled a couple of hours to wait in line in a bigger city to buy one for me.

I was pretty amazed and it remains a special memory to me. We had only been dating a couple of months at that point and it was literally the nicest thing anyone had ever done for me.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Probably GameCube. Heck of a launch lineup that I had a lot of fun with. I have fond memories of Rogue Squadron, Luigi's Mansion and Monkey Ball.

SmashN'Grab

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo 64. i was eagerly awaiting it for months and months. I actually traded in my then-fairly new PS1 for the N64 (biggest mistake I made re: videogames looking back), as I couldn't afford it otherwise. I regret that to this day.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Would have to be the Saturn launch because it came out of nowhere. It was the first console that I bought on launch day. I played an absolute ton of Virtua Fighter and the demo disk.

Randomly deciding to go to Walmart for the Gamecube launch was pretty fun too. I got the memory card, Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron with it. In retrospect, those might have been the most solid launch games in my my memory.

Oct 26, 2017
The Wii. I was the only one in my group of friends to get one and having everybody come round to play it was a blast.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
SEGA Dreamcast

9/9/99

i was working my first job and this would be the first console i bought myself.
i had games before the console even launched. sonic. powerstone. ready 2 rumble.
i was super ready and the console did not disappoint!!
Yup. It's the only one I remember by date.

Soul Calibur and NFL2K were mind blowing.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Odd poll. Kind of wish it listed the consoles, instead of the console manufacturer. Anyways, the best console launch for me was the Dreamcast. So much excitement, long ass lines on the night of release, tons of great day 1 titles. It was incredible and the most exciting launch.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Dreamcast, because it was the first console launch I lined up for. That 9-9-99 marketing campaign had me SO HYPED

main-qimg-e0b78048f3f585820a964047d63eeac6

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
GameCube is my fondest, although that was at Christmas and not on launch day. Got SSBM, THPS3, SSXT and Madden.

Strictly launch day, it's a tough call between the Wii and Switch, and the magic of a new Zelda game. I'll say Wii, simply because I had to jump through more hoops to get one at launch, and that made it a bit more special.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I only started following gaming news when the ps360 launched. Before that I didn't pay much attention to launches and the like, when I realized there was a new toy at the supermarkets.

That said this generation was probably my favorite because of all the memes and gifs it created lol.