• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What confirm button feels the most natural to you on a controller?

• Playstation (western) - X button, bottom cross position

Votes: 477 49.9%
  • Playstation (eastern) - O button, right cross position

Votes: 36 3.8%
  • Nintendo - A button, right cross position

Votes: 225 23.5%
  • Xbox - A button, bottom cross position

Votes: 218 22.8%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
la-ps4-va-enfin-autoriser-le-cross-play-pour-jouer-avec-les-joueurs-xbox-switch-ou-pc.jpg

Which button on a controller is used as the universal confirm button for (nearly) all games on a console and its underlying operating system is probably not something that often comes to mind while playing. Nintendo systems have stuck with the A button throughout all of their various controllers and consoles, Sony came out the gate in 1995 with an unorthodox X button confirm in western regions while opting to go with the O button in Japan, and the Xbox controllers go with the A button but in the bottom position similar to the X button's placement on a DualShock controller.

Having owned and played various Sony/Nintendo consoles over the years, I have no problem switching between the two default confirm button placements. That said, subconsciously I feel a difference in perception of how some games feel with the A button versus the X button as the default confirm, jump, talk, etc. input. Like if I were to play a 3D Mario game with a DualShock controller and mapped X to be the jump/interact button, it'd feel really weird to me.

I'm probably just talking out of my ass in the midst of some non-drug-induced mania, but maybe someone else out there will relate to some degree.

I used to prefer the X button, but in recent years after spending so much time with my Switch Pro Controller I feel like that A button has become more natural for me. It just feels so right, y'know?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Confirm being the bottom button feels more natural to me, regardless of which controller i'm holding.
I've never liked the Nintendo way, even if it's not a big deal to use.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I grew up mostly with Nintendo consoles, and both my Vitas + my PS4 are JP systems, so I've grown accustomed to O for confirm.

I know I'm weird.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The one on the right, as originally intended. I wish Sony had stuck with that in the West.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone that grew up on Nintendo and only owns a Switch as a console - bottom button. Don't know why.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The bottom cross position feels like the 'default' for me (since I play most games with either an Xbox controller or Dualshock), so both the Playstation (at least here in the West) and Xbox feel pretty much equivalent in that. Using the "right cross" position on the Switch/Nintendo games always throws me off a bit when I first play a Switch game, though I get used to it.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The one that rests beneath the apex of the underside of my thumb in my neutral controller holding position. Right under the interphalangeal joint, as I'm just learning it's called. So PlayStation's X and Xbox's A (though I prefer the flat face of PS). Of course, I use the same part of my thumb for Circle, but it doesn't rest there because I also use the analog stick, and need to have rapid access to both that and the face buttons. The diagonal line that connects the X and Square buttons is the perfect medium. Also, if I try to rest it on the Circle button, it forms a considerably less comfortable angle that doesn't let my thumb rest evenly between both Circle and Triangle. If I try to shift my hands to accommodate, the base of my palms come away from the grips and I'm suspending the controller mostly with my fingers.

In short: circle bad bad no good confirm button, and you people who think it's correct are sick and need to visit your doctor for at least a physical.

Last edited:

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
im more familiar with xbox controller after gaming on the pc. Its clearly the standard way for video games.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
None of these, the most natural layout for me is the GameCube controller. Wii is a close second. Really wish controllers had explored asymmetric buttons more.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to vote both Nintendo and Playstation Eastern but since I can't I'm going with Ninty.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
After using the Switch Pro Controller so much, I immediately go for "B" on the Xbox controller when I meant to press "A". So, Nintendo.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've played PlayStation long enough that I'm perfectly comfortable using O or X for confirm. I grew up in a time when a lot of games used O still even on the Western version and I also played a hell of a lot of JP imports where it was normal to use O. Still do I guess.

On Xbox I don't think I've ever played a game where A wasn't confirm. I've never seen B for confirm.

So I selected Xbox. I guess? Neither of the PlayStation ones are more 'natural' than the other to me.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm used to PS more so maybe x. I have this weird thing where if I play on my Switch for a while it messes me up while playing on Xbox, but not PS for some reason.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Between circle on Playstation and A on Switch. I've played lots of Japanese games on PS2, PS3, PS4, and Vita, so now when I have to confirm with X, I'm get confused.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
The button on the right is what I grew up with so that one. Don't have trouble with the playsttion remix set up though.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever the lowest button is feels most natural to me. The label on it doesn't really matter. Never got used to the Nintendo position since everyone else didn't use it.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I like Nintendo's A, but that has more to do with the B button. It feels more natural for the back button to be below the confirm button than above it.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox and PS Western are basically the same thing. No one would find one of those natural and the other not.
Honestly, they feel different to me. Just the fact that it's the A button but not on the right makes the Xbox placement feel odd to me. I subconsciously want to press the B button because that's where the A button is in my mind's eye after multiple generations of Nintendo consoles and handhelds.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sorta related, but as someone with a JP PS4 it's been weird to see the sorta trend where some NA/EU games actually default to the system confirm button. When I reviewed Utawarerumono Zan it used Circle, same with MHW Iceborne. Looking at footage of both of those at events/on NA PS4s they used X.

Interesting situation, that.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they feel different to me. Just the fact that it's the A button but not on the right makes the Xbox placement feel odd to me. I subconsciously want to press the B button because that's where the A button is in my mind's eye after multiple generations of Nintendo consoles and handhelds.
For my brain, position is the extremely dominant factor. I couldn't even tell you the Xbox button layout without really thinking about it and I use a 360 pad near daily on PC.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I adapt to whatever I'm playing currently but I wish people would just agree on one. Fuck especially Sony for the confusion they caused with their regional difference. PS2 games frequently had things like triangle to go back.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Playstation X and Gamecube A
Anything else I get confused by and have to look at the controller to make sure, Gamecube was so good with different button shapes

Hueytothe

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it would be best if it was Y/square/x
my thumb is in the most relaxed position resting on those buttons

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Western position (Western PS, Xbox) feels more natural to me, but since i grew up with nintendo consoles (AKA, eastern style) it's not that much of a hassle switching.

The problem is entirely when juggling games within the playstation which is the one that changes depending the game.