• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
There was a time, around the beginning of the seventh generation of consoles, when 3D platformers nearly faced extinction. As the industry moved toward big-budget, story-driven action/adventure games, the prevailing sentiment seemed to be that the collectathon nature of most 3D platformers had fallen out of favor. Before the genre itself went dormant for nearly an entire generation, it saw some attempts to evolve with action-centric designs on Sony consoles from the likes of Naughty Dog and Insomniac with the Jak sequels and the Ratchet & Clank series. While the sixth gen was certainly a prosperous time for a 3D platformer fan, it was clear even then that developers working within the genre were trying to distance themselves from the strictly collectathon roots of the N64/PS1 games that came before them. Even then it seemed like people no longer wanted to settle for simply exploring colorful environments looking for oodles of collectible MacGuffins.

This one always felt great to me. That music really sells it, and it always nicely punctuates the end of a level.

Fast-forward to today and it's clear that people missed the simple joy of hunting down collectibles in 3D platformers. The genre has been seeing something of a renaissance in the last few years, and most of the 3D platformers that have released recently seem to be proudly hearkening back to that collectathon style of the N64 classics that many of us remember fondly.

The randomized celebratory animations from the duo added some nice diversity to acquiring Power Cells.

I'm not sure why I always have to preface what should be a rather straightforward thread topic with such a lengthy preamble, but I can't help myself. Let's cut to the chase.

What collectible from a platformer (2D or 3D) is the most enjoyable to find and acquire?

Several factors affect how fun it is to earn or find a collectible in a platformer. The accompanying fanfare/music/animation when you grab it, how well hidden they are, how challenging they are to earn via the game's structure, etc. Let us know why your favorite collectible is so satisfying to collect.

This is another instance where the sound design greatly enhances the enjoyment of acquiring a game's main collectible.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Came here expecting Banjo. Not disappointed.

The celebration when collecting all jiggies in a world is also fantastic.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Jiggies from Banjo Kazooie. You get a nice fanfare jingle, a dance, Kazooie gulps it down, and then you get to the best part: you get to keep playing the level without being kicked out.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
d2rtjwy-466775df-0232-4f84-b8bc-e2ca3259c02a.gif

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
People say that the moons in Super Mario Odyssey aren't satisfying because of how plentiful they are, but I actually think that partially makes them more satisfying.

diondiondion

Apr 2, 2020
They're far from rare, but the crates and wumpa fruit in Crash Bandicoot are a joy to break and pick up IMO. I think sound effects play a huge role in how satisfying collectibles are, and these sound just right.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I'm a big fan of minor collectibles, like the music notes in Banjo.
Banjo gave every collectible such a satisfying sound effect, the eggs, mumbo skulls, feathers, etc.

Oh, and Sonic rings of course. One of the most iconic and satisfying sounds in all of gaming.

I REALLY wish coins in Mario games had more use than just extra lives. Some games have used them for health, but even that isn't used much these days. I think Odyssey let you spend coins on costumes, which was at least a little improvement.
I love the sound they make, I just wish there was more reason to get them.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one, for several reasons

-Just look at it. Its a giant, floating gold coin with the DK initials. You just want to grab it. Its way bigger and shinier than any other collectible in the game. It's *special*.

-Unlike all the other collectibles, there's only one in each level. The ultimate collectible. Trying to figure out where the developers hid it starts a conversation between you and the game. You start jumping into seemingly bottomless pits because there's a banana floating over it and you know a secret will be there. You head left at the start of a level instead of right because you hear the familar Zinger sound but there's none to the right, so they must be on the left. You even check bonus rooms for extra bonuses, leave no stone unturned. You start to interact with DKC2 on a deeper level than many players.

-Cranky Kong, the old asshole Kong who thinks you kids are spoiled and never amount to anything, taunts you that you'll never measure up to the real heroes. You want to prove him wrong and get those 40 DK Coins.

Crankys_Video_Game_Heroes_DKC2.png

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
There are a few that come to mind

I think my favorite is finding the K letters in the Retro DK games. I knew that when I got them all, it unlocked a secret level, so I always looked forward to finding them. The puzzle pieces felt satisfying too imo

I also really like the wumpa fruit in Crash. I think the sound and visual effects make them really satisfying to pick up

I'm not a huge fan of the Spyro games but the gems are also just fun to pick up for some reason. So are the bolts in Ratchet and Clank

And TPL's orbs are just set up in a good way to collect imo. It's the only 3D platformer I've 100% completed, because they're just easy to pick up as you're playing the levels. Getting eco and collecting them is pretty fun too

Last edited:

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
If we're counting games where you play as a man-animal hybrid that leaps about everywhere and defeats enemies by jumping on top of them, then I nominate the Riddler trophies from the Arkham series.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Bananas in Donkey Kong have a great sound when you collect them that make it really satisfying to collect a bunch.

Abi

Jun 3, 2020
Purple Coins from Mario Odyssey. Their number is relatively small, which makes going after them manageable, and they get you some pretty cool rewards.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Collecting things in general feels satisfying as all hell in Banjo Kazooie, let alone just the Jiggies. Even getting a Jinjo is cool as hell.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
My favorite collectibles are the agility orbs in Crackdown, and even the similar ones in Saints Row IV. It's just so much fun climbing all over buildings, leveling up, and leaping bigger and bigger distances from fooftop to rooftop.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Some great mentions here.
Crackdown orbs were like drugs for me, I 100% those games just because of those damn orbs.

Not sure those count as platformers, though.
For me, it's Mario 64 stars.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say anything better than what JC already said, so let's add that the VIDEO GAME HERO COIN also is flippin' huge yet somehow remains elusive, that's like a collectable flex right there.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I find the gems in Spyro extremely satisfying. Something about the delicate little sounds they make I think.

The pink power crystals in Crash 2 and 3. Again, great sound effects combined with nice visual response.

Nuts and bolts in the Ratchet and Clank Future games. Walking through a massive pile of them and seeing them collectively launch themselves towards you is very satisfying.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Heart Tanks and Upgrade Capsules in Mega Man X.

There is always exactly one Heart Tank in each stage, and picking it up always comes with a neat sound effect, then the sound of your life gauge increasing a couple notches. Instant gratification! Hunting them down can be a lot of fun too.

The Light Capsules are even better. They are only in four out of eight stages in the early games, but getting a huge power upgrade that comes with a change to your character's appearance is really awesome.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Crackdown orbs because they give you an immediate result and advantage, not any "Oh, yeah, if you find 500 of these you might get something cool in the future after playing 100 hours..." bullshit. The Crackdown games do give you a reason to want to get the colectibles, they are simply a well designed mechanic that adds fun and content to the games.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Playing through Nuts and Bolts right now and came to say Banjo. Jiggy and note sounds are great.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The strawberries from Celeste are really good. You don't need any to beat the game, but it has that DKC2 where at the end you'll get an increasingly satisfying celebration the more you collect. There are so many clever platforming challenges you need to do to collect them, and the sound/visual of a strawberry being added to your total after a lot of trial and error is soooo fulfilling.