• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I have been in the mood for some old school JRPG action and I *really* wanted to play Tactics Ogre LUCL, but unfortunately it's stuck on the PSP and it is pretty low-res. So a lot of the cool art by Akihiko Yoshida could really benefit from a modern port with some of the visuals in proper resolution. With other classic JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, Legend of Mana and Persona 4 Golden receiving PC versions on Steam, thereby allowing the preservation of classics by making them available to everyone with a PC, I really feel like some of the stranded classics would benefit tremendously from a PC and modern console port.

I really wish we could have some form of access to other JRPGs that are now derelict on older hardware and not supported by e.g. Sony, due to their lack of backwards compatibility for PS1 to PS2 to PS3. For instance, I looked at all the amazing PSP JRPGs that cannot be played on any modern hardware (beyond emulating them on PC). Classic games like
  • Valkyrie Profile (mobile version exists!)
  • Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
  • Final Fantasy Tactics HD (mobile version exists!)
  • Star Ocean 2: Second Departure (JPN only release)
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
  • Breath of Fire series
  • Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core
  • Jeanne d'Arc
  • All the PS1 JRPGs like Suikoden 1+2, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story, Wild Arms, Chrono Cross, Arc the Lad
I can go on Steam or PSN right now and get JRPGs like the Legend of Heroes series, a majority of the Final Fantasy series, Star Ocean 1+3+4+5, Chrono Trigger, Resonance of Fate, Valkyria Chronicles 1+4, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Grandia 1+2, The Last Remnant, the Tales series, the Ys series, Langrisser, Alliance Alive HD, Romancing Saga, Saga Scarlet Grace, the Disgea series, and so on. But somehow a lot of what people consider to be absolute classics are stuck on older, abandoned hardware, or somehow received a decent mobile port, but no console port (such as Valkyrie Profile, Final Fantasy Tactics HD).

What JRPGs are abandoned and stranded? And what's keeping some of these games away from some simple PC and console versions? It's especially frustrating when Tactics and Valkyrie Profile have decent mobile ports, but somehow not a console and PC version :'(

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Suikoden.

You're never going to make a new one, Konami, and that's fine, I've come to terms with it. At least port the existing games somewhere.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Skies of Arcadia

And although it doesn't fully fit the criteria, I really loved the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King/My life as a Darklord series.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
AFAIK, Breath of Fire, especially IV. That game needs porting like, today. You've named a bunch of good ones.

Honestly, the best reason to keep a vita with a big memory card lying around is when you get the urge to play one of these.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thousand Arms

I've been thinking about that game a lot recently, never had the chance to beat it on the OG PS1.

Edit: Maybe Thousand Arms was hot garbage.

In any case, I forgot to mention Brave Fencer Musashi.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It's gotta be only a matter of time before Skies of Arcadia gets a port, right?

Of the ones mentioned in the OP, I'm most annoyed that FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre LUCT aren't on modern consoles or PC.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Suikoden.

You're never going to make a new one, Konami, and that's fine, I've come to terms with it. At least port the existing games somewhere.

I remember the campaign to get them on PSN and how much effort those Suikoden fans went through to push employees at Konami to get it through. I don't see that amount of organized campaign happening again to convince Konami :(

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
16504-shadow-hearts-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Edit: I was actually talking about this with folks on Discord the other day, but that Squeenix didn't do a console/PC port of FFTactics War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre LuCT is just criminal, honestly.

I'd throw all of my money at this... -_-

Oct 27, 2017
the android version of FF Tactics:wotl is pretty good, good enough to get you through an airport layover or whatever. i still have my PSPgo with the speed patched version though, if i want a serious playthrough

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I started trying to play the iOS version of Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth on my phone, but was dismayed to see it doesn't support gamepads. It might be ok if that game didn't require some platforming. It's really disappointing to me that Sony never brought forward the catalogue of PS1 games they put out on PS3. That's the only official way for things like Xenogears and Vagrant Story.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't played any of the Shadow Hearts games! I've heard some good things about SH3: Covenant. Who owns the IP and games? What's keeping us from getting a modern port of them?
The dev shut down and the rights are owned by a Pachinko company

latest

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I'd add Final Fantasy 3 to this list, of all things.

I'm aware it's on PC, but it's just not the same, man.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Legend of Legaia in over 20 years, but I remember loving it. Too bad I can't play it on a modern system since it's been stuck as a PS1 game and never been ported as a PS1 Classic.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One bright side is that Square seems to be interested in bringing back some of their PS1 library to modern consoles. This year we are getting Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier.

Obviously there are a billion more gems missing but hopefully the sales numbers gives Square and others incentive to bring out their older catalogs.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
There's a ton of stuff on handhelds. GBA, DS, PSP, 3DS and Vita all have loads, with only a comparative handful getting carried forward.

Even if we discount the 3DS/Vita as being relatively recent, and the PSP stuff has been mentioned already, but there's stuff like

GBA: The Golden Sun games
DS: Etrian Odyssey III (which didn't get either an EU release, or a remake on 3DS).
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Dragon Quest IX
Phantasy Star Zero.
SMT: Devil Survivor 1/2

Going forward there's going to be a ton of stuff left behind on portables, including almost the whole history of Monster Hunter prior to MHW. Not to mention a huge portion of 3DS RPGs like SMTIV, SMTIV:A, Fantasy Life, Fire Emblem: Awakening/Fates , Persona Q/Q2.
Also the DS RPGs remade for 3DS, like Radiant Historia, Strange Journey, EO Untold 1/2.

At least a lot of the later stuff is still available digitally. DS games in particular will just disappear.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Still want to see Persona 1 and 2s get ported to PC and/or modern consoles. Should be able to use the PSP versions as a base. Add in a soundtrack choice for P1, and actually localize the PSP version of Eternal Punishment as well.

Obviously Persona 3 is another thing, but I feel like it'd be better served by an actual remake at this point, if only to create an actual definitive edition. At the same time I don't really want Atlus to take up their time with that when they could be doing P6 or other Megaten content, so...

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
You can play Tactics Ogre on the Vita or Vita TV. Sony's modern handheld lol. It's criminal that it's not on Switch, PC and PS4/5 though

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
One bright side is that Square seems to be interested in bringing back some of their PS1 library to modern consoles. This year we are getting Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier.

Obviously there are a billion more gems missing but hopefully the sales numbers gives Square and others incentive to bring out their older catalogs.

I do think Square deserves a lot of respect for that initiative, though they could stand to do a few more "common sense" moves, like getting everything available on iOS/Android onto PC/Switch/Etc. No reason why I shouldn't be able to play DQ4/5/6 and FF 1-6 everywhere right now.

Longer term, I do worry about the disparity in some of their ports/remakes. Obviously people have talked about the gulf in quality between FF5 and 6 compared to the Mana and SaGa remakes, but the recent FF7 Ever Crisis thing worries me too. I feel like they might decide that whatever they do there for Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus will be "enough," and they'll ignore the originals.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a port of Star Ocean: second departure.

I'm Hoping it eventually goes to switch like the first one.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I would love a port of Star Ocean: second departure.

I'm Hoping it eventually goes to switch like the first one.

I'm surprised it's on the Japanese PSN and not the NA/EU. You would think Star Ocean is big enough especially with 2 being the most popular in the series. Hopefully Square brings it over like the first.

I'd love a Switch port while they're at it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The Shining Force 3 series :'(
Also Legend of Legaia.
Those and Final Fantasy Tactics would make me so happy.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do think Square deserves a lot of respect for that initiative, though they could stand to do a few more "common sense" moves, like getting everything available on iOS/Android onto PC/Switch/Etc. No reason why I shouldn't be able to play DQ4/5/6 and FF 1-6 everywhere right now.

Longer term, I do worry about the disparity in some of their ports/remakes. Obviously people have talked about the gulf in quality between FF5 and 6 compared to the Mana and SaGa remakes, but the recent FF7 Ever Crisis thing worries me too. I feel like they might decide that whatever they do there for Before Crisis, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus will be "enough," and they'll ignore the originals.

Yea, FF7 is an interesting case study of how to modernize a classic. Part of me thinks they are just making things up as they go along and there is no real plan.

The other FF and DQ games you mentioned seem like no brainers. I still don't get why they are missing.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
The original Brave Fencer Mushashiden (PS1) and Skies of Arcadia Legends (with Dreamcast or remastered audio). Those are the two desperately want to see available again PC and current gen consoles.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
The original Brave Fencer Mushashiden (PS1) and Skies of Arcadia Legends (with Dreamcast or remastered audio). Those are the two desperately want to see available again PC and current gen consoles.

Oh my GOD I forgot about Brave Fencer Musashi. I would love to play it again.

Musashi assimilated sleep!

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I still haven't played any of the Shadow Hearts games! I've heard some good things about SH3: Covenant. Who owns the IP and games? What's keeping us from getting a modern port of them?

They were a small publisher and last I heard the rights are held by some Japanese investment group so sadly we will never get these. Covenant is a great game though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
There's a crap load of Japanese only 8/16 bit jrpgs that are probably lost to time forever.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, was it no good? I played the game when I was a little kid and don't remember much about it other than the battle system and the art style.

IMO it was a really shitty JRPG/dating sim with some embarrassingly bad dialogue. That was back then, it's probably aged so badly too.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Shining Force III is the biggest one I think. My favorite SRPG ever, and used Saturn copies sell for $500

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
This is very frustrating. I feel like a lot of companies are leaving money on the table when it comes to these games. Sure, you can't release them all at once or it'll flood the market, but there's no reason for it to be so hard to play games like Final Fantasy VI or even Suikoden.