• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Now that every platform in existence has access to the original Dragon's Dogma, an anime adaptation has been announced, Itsuno has wrapped up DMCV, the original game is six years old and the MMO is four... it feels like it's finally time to start seriously talking about a sequel. Specifically: It's time to talk about what classes we'd like to play as in Dragon's Dogma 2.

I've logged over 1000 hours in the first game and an extra 100+ into Dragon's Dogma Online, and I've put a ton of thought into which of the vocations need to be tweaked/replaced. My main objectives were to remove/combine any redundant classes, so that every one felt entirely unique. No weaponry is shared between vocations in this model, and most of the "new" classes are reworked ones from Dragon's Dogma Online.

Returning Classes

Fighter: Swords/Maces/Shields
- A combination of the old Fighter and Mystic Knight vocations from Dragon's Dogma. The new Fighter can specialize in either physical or magical swords and maces, and focuses on perfect blocks to deflect enemy blows and reflect enemy spells. Greatshields no longer exist, as they never served a function that truly differentiated them from normal shields. An incredibly versatile class that can function as anything from a ragtag soldier to a polished, magic-powered paladin.

Warrior: Greatswords/Warhammers- Returning from DD. In addition to finally having access to the standard six skills (DD bizarrely limited them to a meager 3), the Warrior now has highly increased throwing ability. They can hurl objects (with an overhand throwing animation) at immense speed, turning environmental clutter like rocks and crates into deadly projectiles.

Assassin: Daggers/Shortbows- The new Assassin no longer has access to swords and shields, but gains the perks and skills of the Strider class to make up for it. It's daggers can be used for speedy, multi-hit slashing attacks, or for timed counter-attacks (best class for a parry-focused playstyle), and it's bow is used more for inflicting debilitations than dealing damage outright. Assassins deal increased damage over time with debuffs like poison and burning, and inflict these more easily than other classes.

Sorcerer: Archistaves- Largely identical to DD, the one major change is the loss of debuff spells (which have gone to a new class, the Priest) in exchange for an increased variety of damage-based elemental spells. The Sorcerer's basic attacks are also much faster now, making fights against minor enemies less tedious.

Magick Archer: Magick Daggers/Magick Bows- Mostly identical to the Magick Archer from DD, the new MA uses specialized daggers that deal entirely magic damage (same as the bow) and trade out the multi-hit focus of normal daggers for an increased variety of elemental attacks. The bow does not need to be reloaded, but fires more slowly than a physical bow and must be charged for a moment when using skills.

New Classes

Monk: Gauntlets/Greaves- Replaces the Alchemist class from Dragon's Dogma Online. Utilizes Gauntlets (physical punching attacks) and Greaves (which improve movement speed and jump height). Skills are split between high physical damage punches and mobility-based techniques that can be combined with attacks to greatly amplify their damage (Ex. A very fast, long-range forward dash that combines with a normally short-range super-punch). TLDR- Its a Goku class.

Spirit Lancer: Lance- Tweaked from Dragon's Dogma Online. Instead of being another slow support class, the Lancer focuses on piercing attacks that ignore an enemy's natural defenses. Its raw damage output is less than most other attack-oriented classes, but it can deal consistent damage to every enemy in the game. Skills focus on piercing multiple enemies/body parts at once for increased damage, using magic to extend the length of the lance, and precision strikes that deal immense damage with the very tip of the spear.

High Scepter: Scimitars/Magic- The spellsword class from Dragon's Dogma Online. Uses lengthy melee combos with curved swords to build a meter, then spends that meter to quickly cast very powerful spells and buff their physical attacks. High Scepters share the relatively low physical defense of other mage classes, but have far higher physical attack, much faster casting speed and access to a quick dodge, making them very effective "glass cannons." For those who believe magic should be stylish and flashy. (Seriously, this class needs to make it in).

Hunter: Longbow- Replacing the Ranger class from DD, the Hunter debuted in Dragon's Dogma Online and uses the bow exclusively. It has access to an immense variety of damage-dealing bow attacks and, despite still having unlimited normal ammo, uses an active-reload mechanic to prevent limitless tenfold-arrow spamming. It has the highest ranged DPS in the game, can snipe enemies from very far off for increased damage, and has high knockdown/stun potential.

Priest: Holy Tomes- Replacement for the mage class, debuted in Dragon's Dogma Online. The quintessential support class, Priests use ancient religious tomes to cast powerful holy magic that can be used to heal/buff allies and annihilate the undead. Some priests are also masters of forbidden, occult knowledge that can be used to debilitate opponents, sap life from human enemies and command the spirits of the dead.

So, what do you think? Would you be satisfied with these vocations for the sequel? And what ideas/additions would you make?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me Magic Monk and Great Lances

I want more weirdo magic/melee(or ranged) combinations

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Trickster.
I would like to see the class system done away with. I would much prefer gaining weapon proficiency experience and being able to use what I want when I want. Something like Skyrim but with weapon skills and whatnot would be neat.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have all the same classes, but more weapon/spell variety. Perhaps 4 ability slots instead of 3.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
To have a grappling hook for an arm. Some sort of prosthetic of a bionic nature.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Beastmaster/Dragonrider/etc.

As great as the bestiary in DD is, I'd love to have an entire class that involves domesticating and having some of it at my beck and call to fight alongside me. Plus, after having a lot of fun with V in DMC5, I can't help but think that Itsuno or somebody on his team was already having visions of applying those principles into Dogma, next.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trickster.
I would like to see the class system done away with. I would much prefer gaining weapon proficiency experience and being able to use what I want when I want. Something like Skyrim but with weapon skills and whatnot would be neat.
This goes against the weird and unique shit only a class system can do. Magick Archer for instance basically becomes a arsonist martyr moveset by the end, and a lot of skills cant be tied to the weapons over the result of the mixture of classes.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I think a pirate-like Corsair or Sea Voyager would be sweet. Uses a cutlass and a primitive hand cannon. Has discounted access to consumables, and relies heavily on consumable attack items and magic; and has passive buffs for their usage.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Beastmaster/Dragonrider/etc.

As great as the bestiary in DD is, I'd love to have an entire class that involves domesticating and having some of it at my beck and call to fight alongside me. Plus, after having a lot of fun with V in DMC5, I can't help but think that Itsuno or somebody on his team was already having visions of applying those principles into Dogma, next.
I almost included this, because it made a lot of sense to me as well.

As a sidenote, I fully expect Nightmare to be the basis of DD2's golems. He even fires lasers.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Necromancer; the necromancer is able to reanimate creatures that they have slain in battle. The greater their mastery over the creature, the more obedient they are. Using a particular creature in battle increases your affinity with it and allows it to learn a greater number of advanced attacks and will motivate the creature to defend you should you come under attack while directing its attacks. Increasing your proficiency in the dark arts allows necromancers to summon increasingly more powerful, exotic creatures such as bosses and mini-bosses.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the best class in the game is Mystic Knight, which isn't like anything that exists anywhere else that I've played, so I would want more awesome unique ideas like that.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Strider has to return, that two daggers close combat was great. Maybe some other class with a grappling hook ( like in DDOnline ) to climb more faster and add maneuverality to the combat. Or what about a class with some kind of mascot or beast like the hunter from WoW?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I want some sort of Necromancer/Summoner class that builds off the concepts of V in DMCV.

Even as is the character feels better suited to an RPG

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I never played DDO, so my requests may be a bjt redundant. I want ti see the mainland explored more. I actually enjoy the lore so i want to see it expanded on. DD mentioned the mainland a few times so I'm hoping to see it fleshed out.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The Hunter seems to be a downgrade from Ranger to me. As a Ranger, I always liked to have Daggers as a backup, and they were quite useful too. Would hate that change.

Also missing the Strider, I like the OG game approach of short and long bow instead of this thing of making one type of bow useless for damage.

All of this DDO stuff makes sense for an MMO but not for a SP game.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I want all the classes from Shadows of Mystara, so I guess some sort of warrior monk.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Hunter seems to be a downgrade from Ranger to me. As a Ranger, I always liked to have Daggers as a backup, and they were quite useful too. Would hate that chane.
I felt that way too, initially, but DDON really made it work. The active reload and an additional three bow skills really make it feel different from the other ranged classes, and solved the samey feeling that Strider, Assassin, Ranger and MA suffered from. The more those classes can be differentiated, the better, and DDON (for all of its faults) solved that issue well.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I felt that way too, initially, but DDON really made it work. The active reload and an additional three bow skills really make it feel different from the other ranged classes, and solved the samey feeling that Strider, Assassin, Ranger and MA suffered from. The more those classes can be differentiated, the better, and DDON (for all of its faults) solved that issue well.

I wish I could try it for myself... but Capcom still being Capcom with DDON...

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want some sort of Necromancer/Summoner class that builds off the concepts of V in DMCV.

Even as is the character feels better suited to an RPG
Necromancer; the necromancer is able to reanimate creatures that they have slain in battle. The greater their mastery over the creature, the more obedient they are. Using a particular creature in battle increases your affinity with it and allows it to learn a greater number of advanced attacks and will motivate the creature to defend you should you come under attack while directing its attacks. Increasing your proficiency in the dark arts allows necromancers to summon increasingly more powerful, exotic creatures such as bosses and mini-bosses.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could try it for myself... but Capcom still being Capcom with DDON...
It's a shame, because the raw design of DDON is pretty brilliant, but the business portion is absolute F2P MMO hell.

I'm very hopeful that Itsuno borrows liberally from their decisions in regards to classes, monster variation, etc, while totally divorcing all of the excellent concepts from the revolting progression/loot systems, the near-unending grinds, etc.

Watch that High Scepter footage at the end of the class description for a demonstration of the DDON team's wasted talent. It's like spellsword Devil May Cry.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I think all classes should be Rangers with nothing but Tenfold Flurry mapped

Some of you know of this wonder

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I would like some kind of Beastman class that channel different creatures in skill attacks like how Dark Arisen summons those dragon hands. Or a full Beast Summoner ala V.

Lancer and Martial Arts are definitely a must have.

Wouldn't mind rudimentary guns either.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely down for some monk type character. Really would like the casting classes to be reworked to be more fun in moment to moment, small monster/humanoid combat.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
If you have to ask, it's too late.

A more fleshed out V type character would be a dream come true.

MonsterJail

Self requested temp ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Wrestler: put enough points into strength and you can suplex a cyclops

Imagine leaping off cliffs to slam a griffon, your inventory full of heavy items to inflict maximum damage

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I recently ordered the first game for xbone. Here's me hoping that it is as amazing as folks say it is. Also, I did not even know that DD2 was a thing.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh Bard.

Bard is my answer.

And then all the stuff I said before.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
They need to explain the whole levelling in certain classes permanently buffing certain stats thing better.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They need to explain the whole levelling in certain classes permanently buffing certain stats thing better.
So, Dragon's Dogma Online removed that entirely. Instead, every class leveled individually, which has its own pros and cons.

Personally, I'd like a hybrid of the two. I think your core stats should level independently of what class you're playing as, and instead receive a bonus based on your vocation rank/discipline level in that class. This way, min-maxing raw stats becomes obsolete and everyone can focus on improving their gear instead.

Ex. Every level 10 Arisen has 100 strength naturally, and yours has reached vocation rank 5 in Fighter, which gives them an innate +50% strength bonus for a total of 150 strength when playing as a Fighter. If you swap to a different vocation, like Warrior, you'll have to re-earn that 50% bonus as you raise your vocation rank, but your natural 100 strength remains the same.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know I wanted Magick Archer. Hoping for a shinobi class of some sort.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A beast tamer/trapper who uses a whip could be really cool. I'm picturing traps bringing down some of the giant monsters and dragons, flinging explosives from afar with the whip, etc.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You're asking m— it's the Strider, dagblammit!
I like Strider too, but there's barely anything that differentiates it from Assassin. Using less stamina while climbing is pretty weak when you're just spamming sixfold arrow into everything's face by the endgame. Their biggest asset is the helm/skull/brainsplitter attack, but one skill doesn't justify an entire class.

My suggestion was to merge Strider's perks/skills with Assassin in exchange for that class losing access to swords and shields (which was a redundant playstyle anyway), so the Assassin becomes a totally unique dagger class like Seeker in DDON while also retaining the use of a shortbow. Hopefully that'd work!