• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
In this thread, people who get dollar pizza and claim NY pizza isn't that good.

Also in this thread. People who don't venture out of Manhattan and maybe Brooklyn Heights and make claims about NY food as a whole.

More like, in this thread: New York residents who can't accept that the rest of the world has amazing food, especially pizza.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
Atlanta: The capital of everything wrong with American food.
Lafayette, Louisiana: The heart of cajun country. The cuisine is quite different from New Orleans but my god is it good.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I won't go so far as to say Tokyo is overrated, but I will say that Osaka is sorely underrated by the international community. As another poster has mentioned, Tokyo gets all of the acclaim from tourists, but Japanese people know Osaka to be the real food destination.

But Hiroshima okonomiyaki > Osaka okonomiyaki.

Yeah, Tokyo is still absolutely one of the best foodie cities in the world. I had some of the best kaiseki and shabu shabu in my life at the Park Hyatt during TGS.

Osaka's scene and cuisine is definitely underrated though. The fact that it is considered the food capital of Japan is unwavering fact and has been so for hundreds of years.

I am not a Japanese historian, just play one on the internet, but my understanding is that Osaka's central location as a port town between the primary historical capitals, Kyoto and Edo, meant it always had a booming food industry no matter the period.

Most of the core concepts of Japanese cuisine, like 'umami' and the usage of dashi originated from Kansai cuisine.

You are definitely right about Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki! Although, the best Hiroshima style I have personally had was in Takarazuka! I believe the chef was trained in Hiroshima.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread, people who get dollar pizza and claim NY pizza isn't that good.

Also in this thread. People who don't venture out of Manhattan and maybe Brooklyn Heights and make claims about NY food as a whole.
Exactly, how the fuck is anyone gonna say NYC is overrated when the options are literally endless.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Sorry but hearing someone say someone got bored by NY food is comical to me.
In two days, no less. Either they ate 14,000 times in two days, or that opinion doesn't hold much weight with me.

Same thing with Chicago. Did no one leave downtown? Do people know that people who live there don't eat the pizza? And the person who said 95% of food in Rome is tourist trash must not have eaten where I've eaten the times I've been there.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Underrated: Los Angeles

The diversity and options are overwhelming and astounding.

Oh definitely. I loved the food in LA when I lived there. Brazilian food was delicious. Sushi was good to great and affordable. SALADS! OMG, salads that are actually worth having for a meal. Most of the restaurants in that small section of Sawtelle, like the tofu soup joint or any of the Japanese food. A Honestly, I can keep naming food I miss in LA all day.

It doesn't have everything, but what it does have tends to be amazing.

In terms of overrated, I definitely get why people would say NYC. It has some great food, but the great AND affordable food can be annoying to find or get to. Though people criticizing the pizza just sound silly. Go live in LA, there's a few ok pizza places but that's about it. New York is inundated with decent to great places. Then again, when in LA you learn to stop caring and eat other things. My first week living in New York and people got so defensive when I said I missed food in LA, then I asked where I could get a salad and ten years later still haven't gotten a great response. Hell, Tender Greens opened up here and I was so excited only to find it a weak shadow of its LA version. Same with Sugar Fish. And don't get me started on some of their vile food stands which are blatant ripoffs of (sometimes very specific) LA food trucks.
Even writing all that, I feel wrong suggesting it's bad. New York has lots of great food, but I just don't feel as passionate about eating it as I did LA food. I don't think I'd miss it as much.

95% Of the restaurants in Rome are Tourist trap trash tier food. But the 5% that arent are usually amazing.
seriously. Our best food there was in the hotel. Granted it was the St. Regis, but it wasn't even a competition. It was truly bizarre, the concierge couldn't even recommend places. The food everywhere else in Italy was so wonderful though

I'll also throw in Madison, Wisconsin for underrated food. Not sure if still true, but it used to have more restaurants per capita than NYC. I'm biased towards cheese curds though....and Vientiane Palace.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
St Louis is pretty great despite having the worst pizza, and subpar bbq. There's a lot of great Eastern Euro, Middle Eastern, and Italian places. The sins of provel cheese can be forgiven by the godliness that is gooey butter cake.
I️ enjoyed a lot of the food I️ had last time I️ was in stl. KC is also quite good though I'm biased and live here

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finland. I present to you, Karelian pies. These fuckers are delicious. Slab a whole heap of butter on these and go to town.
0IMG_6140.jpg

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
My man.
Kansas City BBQ puts all other barbecue to shame. I will gladly die on this hill.
Agreed. though I️ always suggest other bbq places over kc joes to folks visiting which is an unpopular opinion. Also Texas bbq is quiet great last time I️ was in Austin. It's very similar to kc imo except more places have beef ribs which I️ love

Considering we're a midwestern city we also have a nice range of other cuisines which is nice for all the locals though I'm not sure if many of them stand above offerings in other cities

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's *the most* overrated, but I think Boston's food scene is pretty blah for a true international city (which I think Boston struggles to be). People make this big deal out of the North End for Italian food ... and ... I dunno. Sure, you can get great Italian food in the North End but I don't think it's particularly spectacular or, at least, worth the hassle of travelling some place for Italian food. Seafood in Boston is great, but the "old standby seafood restaurants" are all shitty IMO, and any Boston-proper seafood restaurant is going to be worse than the seafood 'shacks' or restaurants along any of the coastal towns. Like, if you're from the midwest or some landlocked area anywhere west of ... Harrisburg PA and East of the Sierra Nevadas that isn't Chicago ... then I think you'll be blown away by Italian food in the North End or seafood in Boston. But, if you're from any coastal city/town/area in the North East or any city with a long Italian American presence, then I think that Boston Italian food and seafood is kinda overrated. Not "the most overrated" just kinda overrated.

The beer is good in greater Boston / Massachusetts, though.

New York is not overrated for food, it is appropriately rated. New York is the best food city in the world and it is appropriately rated at #1.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I think Vienna's food scene is pretty underrated. I had some excellent pizza, Schnitzel and all sorts of shit there. It has real variety.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I don't know if it's *the most* overrated, but I think Boston's food scene is pretty blah for a true international city (which I think Boston struggles to be). People make this big deal out of the North End for Italian food ... and ... I dunno. Sure, you can get great Italian food in the North End but I don't think it's particularly spectacular or, at least, worth the hassle of travelling some place for Italian food. Seafood in Boston is great, but the "old standby seafood restaurants" are all shitty IMO, and any Boston-proper seafood restaurant is going to be worse than the seafood 'shacks' or restaurants along any of the coastal towns.

The beer is good in greater Boston / Massachusetts, though.

New York is not overrated for food, it is appropriately rated. New York is the best food city in the world and it is appropriately rated at #1.

Boston has Regina's though and that is the best pizza i have ever had, that's coming from a person from Sweden where pizza is almost our national dish by now.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Boston has Regina's though and that is the best pizza i have ever had, that's coming from a person from Sweden where pizza is almost our national dish by now.

Yeah, Regina is great (obviously the original Reginas, not the highway/airport/mall chains with the same name). I also like Regina's more than Santarpio's

I just think like... the NOrth End in Boston gets all of this praise from Bostonians or tourist guides, but if you come from a city or place that has good Italian food, like most major cities on the East Coast north of Baltimore, then you'll be like "oh... this is good... but... not amazing or worth fighting for parking over."

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Twin Cities is definitely underrated but finally getting some attention last few years. The number of incredible restaurants that have popped up the last decade is staggering.

Oct 27, 2017
With regards to Asian food, St. Paul and to a lesser extent (much lesser imo) Minneapolis. The large Hmong population in St. Paul means a lot of Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese god-tier food fusion.

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard from people that NY pizza is not great because of the cheese they use in the US.
New York Style pizza is scientifically the greatest pizza known to man.

But there are still a lot of bad pizza shops in NY and NJ. But if you go to a good one? You will understand why the Ninja Turtles could live on just that.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
On topic. DC has a lot of really good restaurants. Especially ethnic food. But it is really spread out.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Anyone who thinks NYC is "overrated" for food is doing it wrong. There's so much food in NYC, different types and experiences and price points.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Not sure overrated, but I think San Diego is quite underrated. Doesn't seem to be mentioned all that much, but we have some great food from all over because there are so many transplants. That, or I am just stanning for my city haha

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Overrated: Atlanta - some decent stand outs, but few and far between. I am down in Atlanta 20-30 times a year, and outside of some unreal seafood places like The Optimist, and some imported and fun spins on food like Bon Ton, or the classic standouts like Newk's, it's just alright. A lot of people rave about the food down there, but it's just ok. Fine.

Underrated: Detroit - I spent 4-5 months living out there a few years ago, and the restaurant scene is crazy. Lots of chefs trained around the world, and then brought their talents back home and started their own places - too many good places to mention.

Oct 27, 2017
My man.
Kansas City BBQ puts all other barbecue to shame. I will gladly die on this hill.

I'm originally from Tennessee, so I grew up around Memphis and Nashville BBQ, but I'd put burnt ends on up there with the best.

Though Arthur Bryant's regular sauce isn't as good as it's reputation makes it seem. Gates has better sauce in my opinion.

Edit:
KC also has a pretty dang good Vietnamese, Thai, and Indian food scene. There's some fantastic hole in the wall places here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If there is one thing you can't shit on Phoenix about is the food. Such an upgrade from living in Nebraska. There is something for everyone out here!

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Overrated: Downtown Toronto - There's amazing food to be sure, but the scene is full of trendy, instagram chasing joints that value marketting over flavour

Underrated: Suburban Toronto - There's an incredible amount of diverse, first-gen immigrant restaurants that have some of the most authentic foods outside of their native countries that a lot of downtowners will never think of trying.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
I always get a bit annoyed that Tokyo cuisine and restaurants always get the international praise and attention over Osaka, despite the fact
that most people in Japan know the real gourmet treasures are here.
I'll be there in a week. I'll compare both and get back to you! I did hear Osaka is the actual foodie city of the two though.

For me, I always rep Pittsburgh, especially in threads by Andrew Korenchkin
Our food scene has erupted over the last decade with unique gastropubs, street food, and fine dining popping up all over the place. Breweries and distilleries gaining national attention. Very underrated food city.

From Richard DeSchantz, James Beard nominee for Restaurateur
http://takopgh.com/ Korean/Mexican fusion
https://www.meatandpotatoespgh.com/ the kickstarter of our gastropubs, with an amazing brunch

From Justin Severino, 4 time James Beard nominee for best chef:
http://www.morcillapittsburgh.com/ Spanish cuisine with a family-style menu

My personal favorite, wood fired Argentinian meats walk-up counter:

Most awarded-craft distillery in the US:

Nation's first "chef incubator". A Cafeteria-style dining hall where chefs get their start by opening a small stand. They get a short term lease to build capital and a following so they can open their own brick-and-mortar place

And that's not to leave out the mom-n-pop shops and dive bars with great food dotted all over the city.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Yeah, Regina is great (obviously the original Reginas, not the highway/airport/mall chains with the same name). I also like Regina's more than Santarpio's

I just think like... the NOrth End in Boston gets all of this praise from Bostonians or tourist guides, but if you come from a city or place that has good Italian food, like most major cities on the East Coast north of Baltimore, then you'll be like "oh... this is good... but... not amazing or worth fighting for parking over."

Yeah I meant the spot in north end, it's the only one I've been to as well. If you don't count the pizza at Fenway park but it was light years apart in quality even if it was branded reginas.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Overrated: Downtown Toronto - There's amazing food to be sure, but the scene is full of trendy, instagram chasing joints that value marketting over flavour

Underrated: Suburban Toronto - There's an incredible amount of diverse, first-gen immigrant restaurants that have some of the most authentic foods outside of their native countries that a lot of downtowners will never think of trying.
I am a tourist ass tourist but Toronto's ethnic food was fucking off the hook when we went there like 7 years ago. Can't remember if were downtown or in the burbs. But wherever we went I was greeted with fantastic food.

Speaking of international food, London's ethnic food was maybe the best I have had from several different counties. Turkish, Indian, etc. All of it was really amazing. Though I was dollar poor when we last went (the pound was crazy strong at the time).

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've never been, but I hear Dallas has an amazing food scene. Apparently one of the most diverse food scenes in the States. Like the most Vietnamese restaurants per capita...which is really all I need in my life.

As far as places I've been. Denver has a great Mexican food scene, which you wouldn't think, that far north, but the best Tortas I've ever had were in a little hole in the wall place in Denver.

I don't know about overrated. Everywhere you travel probably has really good food if you're willing to search it out.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who thinks NYC have overrated food haven't been to Queens. Manhattan food though is extremely overrated, but the amazingness of food in Queen easily overcomes it. (If each borough is treated as a different city, Queens would easily be the most underrated food city)

Overrated - San Fran
Underrated - Vancouver

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I would think that unless you're a professional food critic who devotes a substantial amount of time trying out every restaurant & food stand in a city, any city of decent size is going to have so many food options that no individual is going to have a clear picture of the overall quality.

Like I lived in Taichung for a couple years and I can tell you that the Fengjia night market has delicious puffed potato balls & a great stinky tofu stand, the Mitsukoshi mall has a delicious vegetarian Italian restaurant, and there's a diner that has the best burgers & shakes I've ever had if you're patient enough to wait for the slow service, but there's restaurants and food stands all over the place & I'd never think that I have a clear view of the entire city's food options, just that I loved what I had & the prices are quite low. I can tell you that when I lived there, the area of Lake Arrowhead, California had poor food choices, other than a decent pizza place near the rim & an okay Tex-Mex restaurant, with a lot of the popular restaurants in the area being low quality at best, but that was a tiny resort town so it was easy to check out most places.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I think Boston is a little underrated. It's not NYC, but man the vietnamese food in dorchester is BOMB and there are some nice spots near randolph as well. Also, really enjoy the Colombian food in east boston as well.

I would also say San Diego as well. Visited last year and the food was great. I don't really see people mentioning much about it though. The tacos at Tacos el gordo were to die for.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

I think you're being fucking generous here... it's people that don't leave Midtown. I'm continually amazed at the people that complain about prices and food, and then reveal that they think Macy's is the end of the island.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
New York Style pizza is scientifically the greatest pizza known to man.

But there are still a lot of bad pizza shops in NY and NJ. But if you go to a good one? You will understand why the Ninja Turtles could live on just that.

I must've went to some shit shops. I was not impressed. I did think it was good but it didn't live up to the hype.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I am actually really surprised how good the foodie culture and scene is in the Detroit metro area, so I vote that.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since I moved to the country the food is one thing that has really surprised me. The restaurants are decent enough, though nothing on London, and the service is poor but the actual produce available absolutely shits on what I could get in the city. In my small town we have a greengrocers, three butchers, four or five bakers. We have a market every saturday and wednesday, there are farm shops galore. All selling great quality goods. I can buy fruit, veg, cheese, meats, fish, bread, beer, cider, even wine and all of it produced from within ten miles of my house.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
underrated Houston. we have top tier food in literally any genre you could want.
overrated Austin. Austinites act like every restaurant they have is unique and the best restaurant ever.