• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure about overrated, but underrated? Phoenix, obviously. We have a ton of great food here from all over, but everybody just associates us with shit like Applebee's and Chilis. According to other people, we have nothing and will never have anything.

It's frustrating, but thankfully we are starting to shake that.

Also,

INB4 some fool says New Orleans

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard from people that NY pizza is not great because of the cheese they use in the US.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Seattle Teriyaki is stupid overrated. Most places it's the worst thing on the menu.

I don't know if the sushi scene is underrated per se, but it is noice.

Nov 7, 2017
The food scene in Baltimore is hella underrated. It's actually pretty diverse (new American, Mexican, El Salvadorean, Korean, Indian, etc)

These places are bomb
-Clavel
-Mi and Yu Ramen Bar
-Woodberry
-Cingale
-Brown Rice
-Jong Kak
-The Bun Shop

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I always get a bit annoyed that Tokyo cuisine and restaurants always get the international praise and attention over Osaka, despite the fact
that most people in Japan know the real gourmet treasures are here.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
St Louis is pretty great despite having the worst pizza, and subpar bbq. There's a lot of great Eastern Euro, Middle Eastern, and Italian places. The sins of provel cheese can be forgiven by the godliness that is gooey butter cake.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I always get a bit annoyed that Tokyo cuisine and restaurants always get the international praise and attention over Osaka, despite the fact
that most people in Japan know the real gourmet treasures are here.

Depends on level of cuisine you are looking for. Street food? Osaka destroys Tokyo. 3 star Michelin restaurants and variety, Tokyo destroys Osaka.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID ABOUT DEEP DISH CHICAGO PIZZA.

Some people hate Mexican food. Can't stand the stuff. But when Ike Sewell's restaurant partner gagged on his first Tex-Mex meal, the rejection paid off in a big way. When the tall Texan turned to Plan B, he ended up creating Chicago deep-dish pizza.After graduating from UT in 1928, the all-conference lineman from Wills Point, near Dallas, went to work for American Airlines, then got into the liquor business after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. Relocating in Chicago to head the midwest division of Fleischman's Distillers, Sewell pined for the food of his college years at such restaurants as El Pablano Cafe on Congress and New Way Cafe on W. 5th and had plans to open the Windy City's first Mexican restaurant. He brought the concept to Ric Riccardo, whose namesake drinking hole on Rush Street was one of Sewell's best customers.Riccardo agreed to invest, but first he wanted to sample the kind of cuisine that Sewell had in mind. The chef cooked up a plate of beef enchiladas, refried beans and rice. Riccardo took one bite and claimed it was the worst food he had ever tasted. He wouldn't feed it to a dog, he said. Even though the walls were freshly decorated with bullfighters and the grand opening was mere weeks away, Riccardo said he'd pull out of the venture if Sewell insisted on serving Mexican food on Wabash Ave.

At the time, pizza was becoming popular with returning GIs, who'd tasted it in Italy, so Riccardo suggested he and Sewell open up a pizzeria instead. But Sewell had deep thoughts about designing a heartier style of pizza — one that would load the dough with meat, tomatoes and cheese. Pizzeria Uno's casserole with a crust was an instant sensation and Sewell and Riccardo opened Pizzeria Due a block away in 1955.

Sewell did eventually realize his dream of owning a Mexican restaurant in Chicago. In 1963 he opened Su Casa, without a partner, next door to Pizzeria Due, where it continues to thrive.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overrated: NY. The pizza isn't all that plus a chop cheese is just a cheeseburger served as a sub.
Underrated: Montreal, flat out!

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Depends on level of cuisine you are looking for. Street food? Osaka destroys Tokyo. 3 star Michelin restaurants and variety, Tokyo destroys Osaka.

I just mean in total, which would include everything from street food, B level gorumet, to top class Michelin rated places.
Tokyo definitely has the edge when it comes to 3 star Michelin restaurants, but Osaka still has a crazy nice selection of top tier restaurants and is still in the Top #5 worldwide when it comes to star count iirc.

And I would easily argue that the number of amazing B gourmet places in Osaka would give it the win over Tokyo.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I just mean in total, which would include everything from street food, B level gorumet, to top class Michelin rated places.
Tokyo definitely has the edge when it comes to 3 star Michelin restaurants, but Osaka still has a crazy nice selection of top tier restaurants and is still in the Top #5 worldwide when it comes to star count iirc.

And I would easily argue that the number of amazing B gourmet places in Osaka would give it the win over Tokyo.

But Osaka lacks the variety of non-Japanese options that Tokyo has.

When we're talking about a food capital of the world, variety is just as important.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
But Osaka lacks the variety of non-Japanese options that Tokyo has.

When we're talking about a food capital of the world, variety is just as important.

Not really true if you know where to look. I have a pretty damn good Jamaican jerk place like 5 min bike ride from my house for example, and I don't really live in any of the central shopping/restaurant districts.

Tokyo will always have more of everything than Osaka because it's a city of 8~ million vs. 2~ million...

but there are very few blind spots that I can think of.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Not really true if you know where to look. I have a pretty damn good Jamaican jerk place like 5 min bike ride from my house.

Tokyo will always have more of everything than Osaka because it's a city of 8~ million vs. 2~ million...

but there are very few blind spots that I can think of.

I think you got a little bit of homer town blindness going on.

I lived in Tokyo for a while and spent a couple weeks in Osaka. The only thing that was incredible for me was the street food while I had a lot more incredible gourmet experiences in Tokyo.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think you got a little bit of homer town blindness going on.

I lived in Tokyo for a while and spent a couple weeks in Osaka. The only thing that was incredible for me was the street food while I had a lot more incredible gourmet experiences in Tokyo.

Nah, there is a reason why Osaka has been considered the gourmet center of the entire country for like hundreds of years.
I tend to actually eat better when I am in Tokyo because I take clients out and such (just did the 3 star Kozue during last TGS trip), but I still think that the pure abundance of amazing B gourmet places in Osaka balances out the crazy number of Michelin stars Tokyo has, while actually being affordable if you aren't pulling six figures.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
Overrated: NYC

Got pretty bored of stuff in like 2 days when I went there a few years ago

Underrated: Mumbai

Vada-pav is love, vada pav is life.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Munich and Bavaria in general you get many restaurants and butchers serving the same traditional food, which is heavy and boring, since nobody has any kind of smart variation. Imagine going on the Oktoberfest every day. At least Munich is big enough to have a lot of different kind of restaurants.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Massively Overrated: Chicago
Underrated: Anywhere with decent, cheap local joints

Chicago has a few good fancy restaurants but its street scene is pathetic. Lots of overrated pretentious places selling food at a huge markup, trying to be the next big thing instead of just selling a decent meal for 10 bucks. All that money spent on reclaimed wood tables and chairs instead of giving people a good value.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Boston is good but nobody comes here for the food. Good, stay out of my restaurants, I'll just quietly enjoy the fact we have the best Italian food in the American continent, also some criminally under appreciated Caribbean and Vietnamese communities

Now this is an unpopular opinion I can get behind!

Fuck Deep Dish Pizza. It's fucking nasty.
This is not an unpopular opinion, it's some new York supremacist bullshit that borders on pizza nationalism. How many times have people reposted the idiotic Jon Stewart rant that is undoubtedly his lowest moment? Pizza gatekeeping is the ugliest look, it's a big tent food and should reflect the culture and place where it's made. All pizza is beautiful
Massively Overrated: Chicago

Underrated: Everywhere else

Chicago has a few good fancy restaurants but its street scene is pathetic.

Street scene??? Basically no city in the US has a street food scene aside from food trucks and maybe a hot dog cart here or there, no idea why you'd expect more in Chicago

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of which, Acadiana is also insanely underrated. The real heart of Cajun culture, which means terrific food.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
This is not an unpopular opinion, it's some new York supremacist bullshit that borders on pizza nationalism. How many times have people reposted the idiotic Jon Stewart rant that is undoubtedly his lowest moment? Pizza gatekeeping is the ugliest look, it's a big tent food and should reflect the culture and place where it's made. All pizza is beautiful

New York definitely has the best Pizza though, at least for me. I'm a thin crust type of person.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Street scene??? Basically no city in the US has a street food scene aside from food trucks and maybe a hot dog cart here or there, no idea why you'd expect more in Chicago

Massive apologies

I'm including local joints, holes in the wall, and such. Little storefront street places, just off the street, etc etc etc. Chicago sucks for cheap, good, affordable places. There are a few here and there, in places like Pilsen, but overall way too few for such a huge city. And no, Giordanos and Portillos don't count.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Having tasted about 0.0001% of the available cuisine in these locations, I feel confident in stating definitively:

Overrated - New York City, aside from some incredible Ethiopian food. I regret not going to queens tho cos I heard that's where it's at for like Indian food and other stuff, oh and sorry but New York does not have the best pizza and idk why people get so militant about insisting on that one.

Underrated: Austin, holy fuck every single meal I had while visiting for sxsw was god-tier, from diners to restaurants and food trucks, the food scene is on point and covers a nice big range of cuisine.

Rated correctly: pretty much everywhere else I've been I guess? Osaka, Tokyo, Melbourne, all great. Sydney can get fucked tho but maybe my hate for that city is clouding my judgement. Oh I guess Leipzig in Germany surprised me with its food quality because I hadn't heard much about it, but in general Germany has better food than it gets credit for.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Underrated: Copenhagen. Really interesting food, great presentation and amazing ingredients. Pickled fish can get fucked though, never again.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I won't go so far as to say Tokyo is overrated, but I will say that Osaka is sorely underrated by the international community. As another poster has mentioned, Tokyo gets all of the acclaim from tourists, but Japanese people know Osaka to be the real food destination.

But Hiroshima okonomiyaki > Osaka okonomiyaki.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Boston is good but nobody comes here for the food. Good, stay out of my restaurants, I'll just quietly enjoy the fact we have the best Italian food in the American continent, also some criminally under appreciated Caribbean and Vietnamese communities

It's funny when people post the jon stewart thing, but ignore how the next episode he had malnati on the show, and tried the pizza and he loved it.

Dec 12, 2017
In this thread, people who get dollar pizza and claim NY pizza isn't that good.

Also in this thread. People who don't venture out of Manhattan and maybe Brooklyn Heights and make claims about NY food as a whole.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Overrated: New York City

No, you didn't invent everything :p
It's not overrated simply because of the sheer amount of incredible restaurants. You could eat at a new phenomenal restaurant every day for the rest of your life and never eat at all of them. That's how a large city full of competition works.