• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is an oldie but I remember being really bummed when Agartha for the Dreamcast was canned. For the time, it was a pretty cool and atmospheric looking survival horror game.

maxresdefault.jpg

I held out some hope at the time that it would be resurrected for GC/PS2/Xbox the way some other DC titles were, but it never happened.

Runwhiteboyrun

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is an oldie but I remember being really bummed when Agartha for the Dreamcast was canned. For the time, it was a pretty cool and atmospheric looking survival horror game.

maxresdefault.jpg

I held out some hope at the time that it would be resurrected for GC/PS2/Xbox the way some other DC titles were, but it never happened.

The dead rises, if you have the means to run it.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
220px-Robotech-crystal-dreams-game-box.jpg

Robotech: Crystal Dreams

Crystal Dreams was primarily a space fighter simulation game with some resource management elements. The main protagonist worked as a mercenary and could obtain different numbers of credits based on the type of missions completed. Between levels the player would return to base and be able to interact with a variety of other characters, buy upgrades and modify his mecha. The game also had a continuing war time line where the player could get reports of what was happening in various locations of space, and could rush to the aid of those that needed his help the most and receive more credits for it.[5] The mecha can be transformed into three different forms: "Fighter mode", "Guardian mode", and "Battloid mode.

YES! My heart broken to a million tiny pieces when I heard it was cancelled.

And the scar still lingers...

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
Rainbow Six Patriots, since that was probably the last chance for a "proper" Rainbow Six title (Siege is a good game, just lacks a lot of what I look for from the series).

Not much of a Star Wars fan at all, but 1313 looked incredibly interesting and I was very disappointed by its cancellation.

[redacted]

Dec 28, 2017
Kirby Air Ride 64
RiQa
Robotech: Crystal Dreams
Capcom Vs SNK 3
Monolith Soft's Mother (I know this was only a pitch, but man)

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I doubt many will care about this one, and I'm not sure if any of this is even true, but it's one of the most intriguing ones to me. Apparently there was a rumor many years ago that Rare's Grabbed by the Ghoulies may have initially started out as a Harry Potter game. I'm guessing this must've been when the game was still being developed under Nintendo as a GameCube project before Rare was bought out by MS.

Absolutely nothing has been confirmed or denied by anyone involved with the game and nothing else besides this ancient rumor exists about it. I made a more detailed post about this on the DK Vine forum. If this interests you at all, I recommend checking out my post here: http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/f...cae8b6356094291b7fae7a830af84&showtopic=14943

The idea of Rare (especially golden age/pre-Microsoft Rare) making a Harry Potter game makes me drool. And especially if it was being made by the Banjo team and directed by Gregg Mayles AND possibly had Grant Kirkhope composing! If any of this is true, it's a huge shame the project didn't take off.

If anybody knows anything about this, please chime in! Would love to know more about the origins of this rumor and if there's any truth to this whatsoever.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
Ragtag. I liked Fallen Order but this one would have been more what I look for in Star Wars.

Earthbound 64. One of the reasons I bought my N64 as a kid.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
If anybody knows anything about this, please chime in! Would love to know more about the origins of this rumor and if there's any truth to this whatsoever.

I've never heard that rumor, but it came out a few years ago that Nintendo made an unsuccessful bid for the Harry Potter license in the late '90s, with Nintendo Software Technologies slated to make the games. I suppose Rare may have been roped in somehow but I've never heard them mentioned in conjunction with the NST pitches, which definitely happened.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I've never heard that rumor, but it came out a few years ago that Nintendo made an unsuccessful bid for the Harry Potter license in the late '90s, with Nintendo Software Technologies slated to make the games. I suppose Rare may have been roped in somehow but I've never heard them mentioned in conjunction with the NST pitches, which definitely happened.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. The Ghoulies/Rare thing could just be a bunch of bullshit in the end, but it's such a randomly specific rumor that I can't help but feel maybe there's something to it.

Rare was kind of Nintendo's go-to house for licensed games at the time, so it's not that crazy to believe they could've been approached to make a Potter game. But I feel like if this was true, we probably would've heard something more concrete or official by now. There's no reason to keep this a secret for like 20 years lol.

It also could've been a Goldeneye XBLA type of situation where Rare assumed Nintendo was all set to get the HP license and started work on a HP project only to scrap it because that turned out to not be the case. It's like when they worked on and finished the Goldeneye remake despite not having permission to release it.

But I guess NST were confirmed to be involved with HP and not Rare, so who knows.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Shadow of the Eternals. I loved Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. We can also not discuss Denis Dyack.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this counts exactly, but the original vision for DmC Devil May Cry seems to have been fairly different from the final game (which I do still love). The game took place in a really cool demonic city, and Dante and the world were fairly different in a number of ways that are hinted at in the art book. You can see hints of this in the very first trailer, too. It's obviously never going to happen, but I would have loved to see that version of DmC.

Oh, and Versus XIII along those same lines.

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What was the name of that japanese XBox MMO tha tlooked super promising. I think Level 5 was making it.I remeber being prfetty bummed about that being canceled.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here's one few people know about, which would have been released after Simpsons Hit and Run: The Simpsons Adventure!

Oct 30, 2017

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't think No Cliche went on to make anything of note after this was canceled. These are the same guys who developed Alone in the Dark, Twinsen's Odyssey and Toy Commando... Shame. Def. something to be bitter over.

nuchallenger

Oct 29, 2017
My Streets of Rage game that SEGA killed real early on, but I was legit excited to work on it.

And the Man with the Iron Fists game I almost worked on.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
ZombiU 2. ZombiU is one of my favorite survival-horror games and one of my favorite games this gen.

Interestingly, after more than a year after it was announced to be cancelled, it briefly appeared on Amazon France with a 2015 release date and a description saying it would take place in New York.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
In retrospect, StarCraft Ghost.

At the time, the original vision for WarCraft 3.

Honorable mention to the cancelled late Black Isle games (Jefferson, Van Buren).

Nov 23, 2017
Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I loved everything I saw right until I played FF XV. Then I realized that it was not going to be what I expected.