• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Star Wars game by visceral
Whatever Final Fantasy Versus 13 was supposed to be
that planned sequel to FF12 that was about ashe or something
Silent Hills

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Divinity Fallen Heroes was cancelled before reading this thread. From skimming online it seems Larian wasn't satisfied with the developers they had given the game too. Too bad. Can't wait for BG III from them.

Prey 2 is probably my choice. I loved the original and was excited for it only for Bethesda to destroy both the game and studio behind it.

Most games are cancelled for not being up to snuff. For example, my answer to this question in the past would've been Stig's cancelled sci-fi game at Sony Santa Monica. But all the reports of it afterwards said it wasn't living up to the goals set for it, was too similar to other games, etc. It was cancelled for a reason, and we got an amazing God of War game out of it sooner, so that's also a positive.

That's why my answer to the question is Silent Hills. Wasn't cancelled for being bad, was cancelled because Konami is dumb. We already had a taste in P.T. and it looked amazing. I had never been that damn hyped for a horror game, or many games ever. Kojima doing something different than Metal Gear, which he did end up doing anyways but Death Stranding excites me WAAAAAY less than Silent Hills did.

I doubt the real reason is that Konami is "dumb". They wanted to get rid of Kojima for reasons we might never know and their relation was a dumpster fire during MGSV so they were certainly not giving him another project. Moreover Konami seems to have moved away from AAA titles. They now mostly make mobile gacha, pachinko and classic collection outside of PES. It's pretty obvious Silent Hills would have been a decadent AAA budget game with the people Kojima wanted to involve and they clearly don't support this model anymore. They've tried to squeeze as much money as possible from MGS V (Ground Zeroes, Survive, Online insurance/timers reducers for the multiplayer component) for a reason.

I Stood by MS side since day ONE of the XB1, always waiting for an amazing game, aways waiting, waiting, waiting, and then this cancellation.They Really lost me. Waited more years and they put out mediocre games at best. i Just Bought a pc, gave up on xbox. Even tho i had a ps4 and nintendo, xbox was my 1st choice.
scalebound-developer-laments-microsoft-taking-brunt-of-blame_md7n.h720.jpg

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
clock the name, but I'm gonna pick one people haven't said -- Baten Kaitos 3. It was in pre-production (most likely for the Wii) and someone (aka Bandai Namco) pulled the plug. Honne still seems really sad about it.

Translation:

"It's been 10 years since the release of Baten Kaitos 2 (Baten Kaitos Origins) and it's pains me to continue getting requests for a sequel. Since enough time has gone by I think it's okay to talk about it a bit. Right after the release of Baten Kaitos 2, I was working on a sequel at Namco (now Bandai Namco) and we were onto pre-productions, however before Baten Kaitos 3 could become a reality, talk between involved parties ended due to circumstances.

Had we released the game, it would've been something grand, and would take you to the bottom of the seas, the earth, and the sky. Bandai Namco still has a lot of my plan work that's been sealed away. For those of you requesting a sequel, don't just ask Monolith Soft and myself, but Bandai Namco as well."

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Most of the obvious picks have been chosen, so here's a new one:

I am bitter about the second half of Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker being cancelled/scrapped....

It saddens me to this day that what could have been an ageless classic is now an unfinished product, all because the GameCube was struggling and they needed it out as fast as they could.

If we're doing 'unfinished second halves', then I imagine MGS V would be getting a lot of votes in this thread.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most games are cancelled for not being up to snuff. For example, my answer to this question in the past would've been Stig's cancelled sci-fi game at Sony Santa Monica. But all the reports of it afterwards said it wasn't living up to the goals set for it, was too similar to other games, etc. It was cancelled for a reason, and we got an amazing God of War game out of it sooner, so that's also a positive.

That's why my answer to the question is Silent Hills. Wasn't cancelled for being bad, was cancelled because Konami is dumb. We already had a taste in P.T. and it looked amazing. I had never been that damn hyped for a horror game, or many games ever. Kojima doing something different than Metal Gear, which he did end up doing anyways but Death Stranding excites me WAAAAAY less than Silent Hills did.

I really like your perspective on this. Yup they are mostly canceled for not being as good at they sound.

Oct 26, 2017
Donkey Kong Racing by Rare for GC and Sword of Legendia for Wii by Bandai Namco I think. Ridge Racer 8 for Switch is definitely another but it was neither announced nor officially cancelled, it was just all from one single person's LinkedIn profile.

clock the name, but I'm gonna pick one people haven't said -- Baten Kaitos 3. It was in pre-production (most likely for the Wii) and someone (aka Bandai Namco) pulled the plug. Honne still seems really sad about it.

Translation:

"It's been 10 years since the release of Baten Kaitos 2 (Baten Kaitos Origins) and it's pains me to continue getting requests for a sequel. Since enough time has gone by I think it's okay to talk about it a bit. Right after the release of Baten Kaitos 2, I was working on a sequel at Namco (now Bandai Namco) and we were onto pre-productions, however before Baten Kaitos 3 could become a reality, talk between involved parties ended due to circumstances.

Had we released the game, it would've been something grand, and would take you to the bottom of the seas, the earth, and the sky. Bandai Namco still has a lot of my plan work that's been sealed away. For those of you requesting a sequel, don't just ask Monolith Soft and myself, but Bandai Namco as well."

Nintendo would be the one to step in the most I'd think, especially since they did do so with Origins, and that might not have made it period without them. BN don't give two shits it seems. Maybe someday that can be Monolith Soft Kyoto's first own project. They said they want to make their own games and not just be a support studio at some point IIRC.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'd have to say Cry On. I don't really get too bothered with cancelled games that often so it's hard for me to think of them, but I think I remember at that point in time I just wanted something else that had Mistwalker's hands on it. I'm pretty sure I had been following like rumors about it a while before I found out it got cancelled.

I was also really bummed when I found out they were trying to figure out some kind of sequel for Full Throttle, but that never materialized. That doesn't really bother me I guess, since I don't think it was ever really a thing, and also I don't even know but I'm pretty sure the fact that it wouldn't have Roy Conrad in it really would've put me off.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo would be the one to step in the most I'd think, especially since they did do so with Origins, and that might not have made it period without them. BN don't give two shits it seems. Maybe someday that can be Monolith Soft Kyoto's first own project. They said they want to make their own games and not just be a support studio at some point IIRC.

that was my initial thought but then Honne mentions BN more than once, especially in who to contact to tell them you want a sequel.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
True Fantasy Live. My best friend and I were incredibly hyped for this stupid game back in 2003.

To this day I'm sour. It looked so cool.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
The second half of FFXV DLC + Mod tools.

Double dipped on PC because of the promise of those. Haven't touched it since they cancelled them all.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
while it was never truly cancelled and merely switched hardware

the Mother 3 on N64 and the Mother 3 on GBA look so radically different from each other (beyond the obvious i mean) that I really wish we could have gotten to see more of Mother 64 and what it could have been.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I can't say I'm not disappointed we didn't get that Prey 2, but the Prey we got in its stead was still one of the best immersive sims of this generation.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's an "of course" there, it really does read as if BN was the one who nixed the 3rd game.

Yeah because my assumption is that even if Nintendo were the ones who were part of the project (maybe publishing it again), BN, being the owner, might've had the final say and decided it wasn't worth it. The Buyout might've had a role in it as well, considering BN would not ever work with Monolith on Wii projects.

So you're right, but yeah. :P

Oct 8, 2019
Another for Overstrike and FF Versus XIII, games that while released, had changed pretty significantly from earlier trailers.

Overstrike just appears to be a victim of focus groups telling Insomniac to make a game that looks like every other game. One of Jim Sterling's best videos was on this problem.

I understand what happened with FF XV, but its a damn shame given what Nomura has done previously that he couldn't focus enough and actually get FF versus XIII out in a reasonable time.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Uppers on PC
Not officially cancelled i guess but its been a year and radio silence...

lemre21

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Chrono Break for me.

The hype and demand for CB was through the roof in 2002-2003. I still don't understand what happened, why Kato just pulled the plug.

I'm stunned that there hasn't been ANY at least rumors of a possible new games or even spin offs of CT or CC. If the Mana series can get a dozen or so games since Seiken 3 there's no reason why we couldn't get at least 1 flagship Crono game and some spinoff.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Prey 2. The premise was absolutely amazing. Shame it never happened. I hope we can get something like it one day

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It wasn't ever officially announced, but Pokemon Z could have really fixed the fuck out of gen 6. Also, the original version of Rayman Raving Rabbids.

I was also really interested in Project H.A.M.M.E.R., Kirby Gamecube, Donkey Kong Racing, Egg Monster Hero (apparently this got released in Japan? I always thought it was just cancelled), and Star Wars 1313. But I wouldn't say I was bitter about any of those.