• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Blur 2

18arv4w9wb9oxpng.png

The first game was the only non-kart racer with powerups...it was so good and this looked incredible.

And of course, as a series, Studio Liverpool's Wipeout. Nothing else comes close.
I bought the Omega collection and skipped the PS4, how's that for bitter?

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For me it's either Mega Man Legends 3 or Final Fantasy XII: Fortress? I think that's the name. The FF that Starbreeze was working on.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably cheating given that it was never officially announced but for me it would be Pokémon Z, it was clear that Game Freak had plans to continue resolve and expand the plot and lore from Pokémon X and Y but for some reason it just never happened.

Apr 21, 2018
Most of the obvious picks have been chosen, so here's a new one:

I am bitter about the second half of Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker being cancelled/scrapped. We know there were more dungeons planned. We know they were worked into Twilight Princess somehow.

Forever, in the ages of history, The Wind Waker, for all it's beautiful and timeless animation, music, and uniquely awesome setting -- we have an unfinished second half of the game hampered by one of the most egregious padded fetch quests in gaming history. Even the remaster still included the fetch quest. It really is a real shame. I remember playing it the first time thinking it was unequivocally the best game I had ever played. It was incredible. Then it falls off a cliff and the second half is a barren wasteland, giving you no new towns, no new islands of significance, and making you sail over the entire map realizing how empty and boring it is. The magic was lost. It was like a delicious and beautiful pie being cold and uncooked in the middle. It was simply unfinished.

It saddens me to this day that what could have been an ageless classic is now an unfinished product, all because the GameCube was struggling and they needed it out as fast as they could.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Prey 2, especially because of all Bethesda's shady shit surrounding it and the fact that it was almost finished when they dumpstered it.

Human Head deserved much better.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Everything I've seen from Prey 2 points to it still being a ways off when it was cancelled, but making good progress. Still awaiting the proof ;)

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Sam and Max: Freelance Police
Full Throttle 2: Hell on Wheels
The Wolf Among Us 2
Earthbound 64
Cry On

edit: Also sad there was never a sequel to Tales of Monkey Island even though there was a set up for it...

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Everything I've seen from Prey 2 points to it still being a ways off when it was cancelled, but making good progress. Still awaiting the proof ;)

Jason Blair, formerly of Human Head, tweeted that it was a "full game". That could mean a lot of things, but sounded like it was very far along no matter how you interpret it.

Some additional tweets from him here on the subject that indicate that the narrative around the game is at odds with the reality of the progress they made with it.

If by proof you want something more tangible than anecdotal evidence you'll never get it one way or the other. Bethesda's behaviour towards Human Head makes me a lot less inclined to believe their version of events though.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Right, but it wasn't nearly done, lots of bits left to go despite good progress.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope all the people lamenting Star Wars 1313 give (or have given) Fallen Order a try. While the overall concept is different, it delivers on a lot of the promises that the 1313 trailer hinted at. There are plenty of good set pieces and it's just a really fun, light game.

But on the subject of cancelled Star Wars games, that Ragtag project seemed really cool. Although it was never shown, I bet it could have shaped up into something great given the people involved.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man Legends 3. It'd be one thing if it was dormant and died, but that game died in public.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'd love to have seen where Crank the Weasel and Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse would have gone if they had gotten further along in development.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
Re: Prey 2, reading this caption from Human Head's website is pretty heartbreaking:

Prey 2, the sequel to the award-winning 2006 game, was to be an open world sci-fi shooter about Air Marshal Killian Samuels, who was abducted by a cruel race of aliens. The game has been officially canceled by the publisher, but Human Head Studios remains incredibly proud of the work we did on what we believe would have been a fantastic game.

Still looks fantastic to play even today. Interestingly, some of the sneaking and platforming remind of what Arkane went on to do with a lot of their games.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Lufia - Ruins Chaser
Aside from a few concept arts, one theme, a story trailer and some unearthed documents nothing exists. It was supposed to get released on the PS1 back in the day, but the japanese publisher went bankrupt. After several months of nothing the game was heavily altered and turned into Lufia - The Legend Returns for the GBC. What could have been... and now the franchise is basically dead. It has been what, 10 years since the Lufia 2 remake was released? They basically turned it into Kingdom Hearts, but I still haven't played more than 1 hour (I funnily enough restarted the game yesterday).

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Most games are cancelled for not being up to snuff. For example, my answer to this question in the past would've been Stig's cancelled sci-fi game at Sony Santa Monica. But all the reports of it afterwards said it wasn't living up to the goals set for it, was too similar to other games, etc. It was cancelled for a reason, and we got an amazing God of War game out of it sooner, so that's also a positive.

That's why my answer to the question is Silent Hills. Wasn't cancelled for being bad, was cancelled because Konami is dumb. We already had a taste in P.T. and it looked amazing. I had never been that damn hyped for a horror game, or many games ever. Kojima doing something different than Metal Gear, which he did end up doing anyways but Death Stranding excites me WAAAAAY less than Silent Hills did.

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted an Elder Scrolls and DMC game for the PSP, DMC in particular was a massive bummer. Scalebound and StarCraft Ghost stung as well.