• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Zombie Massacre on Wii

It was mostly just a pipe dream that never came to any kind of fruition, but even on Wii, Wii U, and now Switch it would be a novel idea to make use of asymmetrical gameplay and peripherals.

Jim Sterling back at Destructoid, no less, getting me hype as fuck for a open-world House of the Dead meets Crazy Taxi. FUCK I still think about it yearly if not more frequently.

The pitch is too good to just let die.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
EverQuest Next.

The races, the art style, the dynamic parkour based movement system, the horizontal gear progression ... everything about it screamed "GoAT MMO".

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Is it fair to say Dontnod's Twin Mirror is in this category yet? Because a more narrative driven game inspired by Twin Peaks and Alan Wake might have been interesting.

But the game...is not cancelled.

dontnod-fait-le-point-sur-ses-resultats-et-ses-projets-4dacdb4f__w830.jpg

"June 10, 2019. DONTNOD Entertainment is pleased to announce the signing of an exclusive PC distribution partnership with Epic Games. The PC version of Twin Mirror will be released exclusively via Epic Games store for a 12-month period. The financial terms of this partnership ensure a more advantageous distribution of revenues for DONTNOD.
Meanwhile, DONTNOD Entertainment has acquired the rights of Twin Mirror in line with the strategy presented at the time of its IPO: strengthen its intellectual property portfolio and increase game profitability.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, the publisher that launched the project with DONTNOD Entertainment, will continue to be in charge of publishing, marketing and distribution on Xbox One®, Microsoft's all-in-one games and entertainment system, and on PlayStation®4.
In order to optimize the gaming experience and capitalize on Twin Mirror's success potential, DONTNOD Entertainment has decided to extend the development phase and reschedule release for 2020, boosted by the transmedia expertise of a co-producer Shibuya Productions
"

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah, The Last Ninja Trilogy Enhanced, with redrawn 2D sprites and backgrounds, same game underneath.

I've done it myself on my own crappy Java game, just redrawn on an iPad in Procreate.

15 year old original, just up and running on a Pi here, 640x480 res

Updated to 1080p, redrawn on iPad

I just put the old sprites at a layer at the bottom and started drawing the new ones at a layer on top. With the backgrounds I took a screendump and drew a 2D picture on top, I let the old blocky map stay invisible to form the rooms and just updated movable sprites.

Mark could easily get a team to do this but 1000 times better, like how Dragon's Trap was remastered.
It's such a shame that such a classic IP is just sitting there untouched.
He actually said that they planned to do remasters of LN1-3 at an interview instead of LN4, but that must've been 5 years ago, or more.
Nice.

He blew a wad of cash on making 2 Ferrari games and another racing game. Then super putty. And construction game. Not sure how they did but none of them set the world on fire. Putty wasn't very playable imo.

Solid278

Aug 26, 2019
Still crying about Cry On :(
(also I kiiiinda got an XBONE for Scalebound...)
And I'll never not be curious about the original Conker 64 and Dinosaur Planet.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah The Secret World was definitely a reference and part of what excited me was how relatively few games explored that sort of setting. The core gameplay and "dungeon master" player fantasy were what we had proved out, but hard to say what the final shape of the game would have been. Fun project to work on with a great team.

I wish there was a parallel universe I could go to where Shadow Realms captured EA's attention and Anthem was the one that got scrubbed instead.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I mostly don't care about release dates anymore (An ambitious and quality game will always take 3+ years to complete) but I was surprised by the MP4 restart. A bit of waste of time and resources.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
Came here to say MegaMan Legends 3. It was one of the reasons I was most excited to buy my 3DS at launch. But in unannounced games, that Armature MegaMan X game looked amazing.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Nice.

He blew a wad of cash on making 2 Ferrari games and another racing game. Then super putty. And construction game. Not sure how they did but none of them set the world on fire. Putty wasn't very playable imo.
It's weird, for many they're still the "The Last Ninja studio", even back in the Commodore days they were mostly known and loved for these games, plus International Karate. But they've been weirdly cautious to do anything with the IP since then. Hopefully we'll at least get remasters some day.

We got The Last Ninja 1 and 2 for the Wii through Virtual Console though, and it was a truly glorious moment. I played it with a Neogeo joystick and it was pure bliss. :)

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019

Lots of older games like Van Buren and Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound. Some Obsidian games like Aliens RPG.

Most recently, however, it is Divinity Fallen Heroes by Logical Artists.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
These have been mentioned:
Project Hammer
Ep3/HL3
The Grinder

My own picks
Werewolf The Apocalypse - The Heart of Gaia - I was a teenager and this was a 90s as fuck action rpg set in the werewolf part of the world of darkness
The cutscenes leaked and have been stitched together

The Outsider - before Elite Dangerous put them back on the map and roller coasters made Nick Breckon love rollercoasters they were doing an action adventure game set in the world of US intelligence, the game's story story was meant to be completely open ended and changed by player's decisions. Only a few cutscenes and the awesome trailer remain

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
It's weird, for many they're still the "The Last Ninja studio", even back in the Commodore days they were mostly known and loved for these games, plus International Karate. But they've been weirdly cautious to do anything with the IP since then. Hopefully we'll at least get remasters some day.

We got The Last Ninja 1 and 2 for the Wii through Virtual Console though, and it was a truly glorious moment. I played it with a Neogeo joystick and it was pure bliss. :)
Do those versions have save slots? Because the river crossing sections are a killer! I've played them on emulator and they still hold up so well. But only with save slots.

Weirdly I've never been able to make much headway in LN3. I really should give it another go.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Do those versions have save slots? Because the river crossing sections are a killer! I've played them on emulator and they still hold up so well. But only with save slots.

Weirdly I've never been able to make much headway in LN3. I really should give it another go.
Heh yup the water, the swamp and the pillar jumping in The Last Ninja are all brutally precise, pixel precision, and insta-death. But if you can get past those sections you usually finish the game.
I don't remember if the Virtual Console version have save slots, don't think so, but I think you get to restart at the same level at least when you die just like on the C64.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
The Outsider - before Elite Dangerous put them back on the map and roller coasters made Nick Breckon love rollercoasters they were doing an action adventure game set in the world of US intelligence, the game's story story was meant to be completely open ended and changed by player's decisions. Only a few cutscenes and the awesome trailer remain

woah !

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
EverQuest Next.

The races, the art style, the dynamic parkour based movement system, the horizontal gear progression ... everything about it screamed "GoAT MMO".

It looks neat, but i have no idea how you balance an MMO around this. MMO's more than anything require a lot of structure. as soon as you start breaking it down things get VERY messy.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising 2. Platinum's teasing heavily implied a sequel was in development and then... the whole kojima/Konami split happened, along with Konami's decision to focus less on games in general.

Rising 1 was such an incredible foundation and a sequel with more polish and more level variety would have been amazing.

And yes, I know some Platinum games like Nier and Astral Chain wear their influence from Rising on their sleeve, but it's just not the same.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Potentially hot take, but: I'm not convinced a full version of Silent Hills would be as scary or as atmospheric as PT. I think Kojima works far better when he's working within limitations rather than when he has cart blanche to do what he wants.

Of course, it's still a shame we'll never find out for sure.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Potentially hot take, but: I'm not convinced a full version of Silent Hills would be as scary or as atmospheric as PT. I think Kojima works far better when he's working within limitations rather than when he has cart blanche to do what he wants.

I'd play a collection of Kojima micro-games, TBH

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You do realize Guillermo del Toro and Junji Ito were working on this too right?

How can something like that not be scary with those two?

Grue

Sep 7, 2018

Holy cow, Frontier was making this?

It looks like a precursor to The Division or Watch Dogs. I love the studio, but that's so completely not what you expect from them.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Scalebound is a bit of a sad tale. A shame that it eventually got canned but it always looked kinda unimaginative although the concept just rocks. Not entirely mad at the cancellation but it's still a bit bittersweet.

I'm gonna go with Fez 2. That sure was a rollercoaster of events :(

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
I'm still bitter over Silent Hills. Especially after at the time Kojima said that the full game would play nothing like PT.

And LoK Dead Sun... man that series being dead still hurts.

Oct 30, 2017
Silent_Hills_logo.png

It will always be this for me, the game would have been a masterpiece no single doubt about it.

Dammit, I miss SO MANY of Konami IPs :"-(

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I gotta go with Chrono Break, but Silent Hills and the original Diablo 3 getting cancelled was heartbreaking as well.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not bitter about any, but Silent Hills could have been glorious...

Although Kojima is talking about a horror themed game next, so we might get something similar...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
MM Legends 3 still stings, but Capcom releasing so many amazing games these last few years that maybe a resurrection may happen. Either way, MM11 is one of my favourite MM games ever released, so that's awesome!
Looking at lots of Resident Evil beta's and such, I kinda wish that RE 1.5 (OG version of 2), 3.5 (the whole mist creature, hook man etc.) and 4.5 (RE5 with a much better sounding narrative/baddie line up) could have existed alongside the actual versions of 2 and 4 (I wouldn't sacrifice the awesome games we got, but I can't help but wander what could have been...)
RE5 though... I love the gameplay on that game but the original pitch just sounded more enticing to me, guess I'm still bitter at the Tyrant getting cut :(

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
Silent Hills

I doubt that the game would live up to the expectations and I'm very skeptical of all Kojima's games made after the release of the teaser

That game will always be better in ours imagination than the final release

But damn PT was good and that was a dream horror team

Dec 25, 2018
Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui, it would have been the first Bionicle PC/Console game out during the toylines 1st year in the early 00's. It was advertised quiet a bit in Lego related media and had a few trailers, but never came out, what happened to it and if any builds existed had been a curiosity for some fans, the one solace is an incomplete but kind of playable build eventually saw the light of day almost 20 years later. Did You Know Gaming has a video with more about it.

One of the most interesting revelations from the released build was that the Toa can dance.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
The english localization port of culdcept 3ds that was promised in the works at the time of its announcement. I hung on for years. Contacted Nintendo years later on it. Stealth cancelled.
Had to play using a Japanese 3ds and game with a cellphone up to a card translation wiki with no way to enjoy the improved story parts since its untranslated.